As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Can't seem to order them in the UK either. Not entirely unexpected I guess.

Looking on Amazon UK, weirdly enough a bunch of mini consoles are still available - mostly at a substantial mark-up. £229 for a NES Classic, £238 for a SNES Classic, £135 and change for an Amiga Mini, £87 for a PlayStation Classic (I suppose that's technically below the original RRP but it's still way too much), but the highest price of the lot is £250 for a Mega Drive (aka Genesis) Mini. Lots of overambitious resellers, I'm guessing.

On the other hand, £86 for a PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini is a little bit of a discount! Still one of the best minis to date.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm only holding out to see if the Lunars are in it, and if not, no interest.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah, SDCC was huge for toy news (of course) and I kept on seeing stuff about it during the show.

So I thought that the Genesis Mini 2 has not been announced for the US sales. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah. The US version will be shipped from Japan this time. Kind of different.
    So, there will probably not be that many.

Ah ok. That sucks and is weird. Guess I'll pre-order the one you linked then.

Thanks!

Edit: Yikes. They're charging shipping? I just looked and it is cheaper to pre-order it from Amazon Japan.

17,530 yen which is roughly $131.60 versus $137.08 (yeah we're talking dollars cheaper, which is sort of funny when I think about it).

AJ link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0B4D19JJ4/

It is pretty bizarre. I guess the previous mini did not sell as well in the US. I thought it did. Sega may be losing popularity.

I got mine on a super discount, so I imagine they did not sell as well as the Nintendo units. Not nearly as bad as the PlayStation though.

Interviews claimed that the original mini sold better overseas, and this time the chip shortage held them back from a real worldwide release, but I'm also guessing whoever is head of retro stuff there is only tuned into Japan and there's not much pressure to go wider.

That makes sense for them to only sell these things in Japan. Now that I think about it didn't the Gamegear ones only came out in Japan?

Sorry by overseas I meant "the MD mini 1 sold better outside of Japan." Which makes sense given that the Mega Drive was never dominant in Japan either. So it's not quite sense-making to ignore other regions, unless they simply can't source chips now and want to wait for a bigger release later.

But yes you have the GG micro and two Astro City arcade units released in Japan only. Granted Astro City cabinets are a Japan thing and the GG micro is basically a luxury keychain ornament, so those might struggle outside of the country.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wait, there were TWO Astro City cabinets? What is the second one called?

• Options
    I was playing this weird little game.
    The Devil Inside.
    https://youtu.be/PwvCEKv63Q8

• Options
    Spyro 3 had that weird copy protection. I guess it is fine if you play it in Duckstation.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, SDCC was huge for toy news (of course) and I kept on seeing stuff about it during the show.

So I thought that the Genesis Mini 2 has not been announced for the US sales. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah. The US version will be shipped from Japan this time. Kind of different.
    So, there will probably not be that many.

Ah ok. That sucks and is weird. Guess I'll pre-order the one you linked then.

Thanks!

Edit: Yikes. They're charging shipping? I just looked and it is cheaper to pre-order it from Amazon Japan.

17,530 yen which is roughly $131.60 versus $137.08 (yeah we're talking dollars cheaper, which is sort of funny when I think about it).

AJ link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0B4D19JJ4/

It is pretty bizarre. I guess the previous mini did not sell as well in the US. I thought it did. Sega may be losing popularity.

I got mine on a super discount, so I imagine they did not sell as well as the Nintendo units. Not nearly as bad as the PlayStation though.

Interviews claimed that the original mini sold better overseas, and this time the chip shortage held them back from a real worldwide release, but I'm also guessing whoever is head of retro stuff there is only tuned into Japan and there's not much pressure to go wider.

That makes sense for them to only sell these things in Japan. Now that I think about it didn't the Gamegear ones only came out in Japan?

Sorry by overseas I meant "the MD mini 1 sold better outside of Japan." Which makes sense given that the Mega Drive was never dominant in Japan either. So it's not quite sense-making to ignore other regions, unless they simply can't source chips now and want to wait for a bigger release later.

But yes you have the GG micro and two Astro City arcade units released in Japan only. Granted Astro City cabinets are a Japan thing and the GG micro is basically a luxury keychain ornament, so those might struggle outside of the country.

It's a lousy way to approach it, unless they say they'll do more later or something. Frankly, I think I'd rather they waited until they could source enough chips to do it right, if that's the issue.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

The V edition just released. Featuring all tate-mode games on a vertical screen.

https://youtu.be/Y17bVptI768

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

The V edition just released. Featuring all tate-mode games on a vertical screen.

Kind of disheartening that none of them got translated...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Is there allot of Japanese text? It usually is not that bad if there is little text.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Is there allot of Japanese text? It usually is not that bad if there is little text.

Enough that it ought to be translated.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    They are saying the Astro City V has lag. I don't know if it is really bad. People get anal about that.
    https://youtu.be/j2j9_WF5PN0

• Options
    The delay compared to similar consoles.
    https://youtu.be/AFCfXwAYuuk

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It probably beats the heck out of those of us who've gotten soft and complacent with MAME.

• Options
    Lag can be especially tough with these kind of bullet-hell games when you are trying to tap a twitchy joystick to make small adjustments. None of these minis are super great about it, though the V seems a bit on the higher end with 9-10 frames. This makes it very nice when you can get an arcade core on Mister to eliminate such lag, but the selection is admittedly rather lacking compared to something like Mame or even FBA.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I notice the Double Switch remaster has some minor defects in the film. I guess it was too much of a hassle to touch up. Tender Loving Care has those too. The woman that played the female psychologist in it died a long time ago. It was kind of a mysterious death. Of course, John Hurt is dead too.
    The version on gog has low quality video, but someone on the internet got the video from the DVD version. So, you can just copy in the videos and upgrade it.
    Really, the DVD version is the best version. They streamlined the game compared to the old PC version.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I notice the Double Switch remaster has some minor defects in the film. I guess it was too much of a hassle to touch up. Tender Loving Care has those too. The woman that played the female psychologist in it died a long time ago. It was kind of a mysterious death. Of course, John Hurt is dead too.
    The version on gog has low quality video, but someone on the internet got the video from the DVD version. So, you can just copy in the videos and upgrade it.
    Really, the DVD version is the best version. They streamlined the game compared to the old PC version.

This is good to know. Hopefully I'll find those files and play the GoG version one of these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

This is good to know. Hopefully I'll find those files and play the GoG version one of these days.

They got the dvd videos on the Steam community pages for the game. There is also some nudity from the game on there too. So, NSFW.

• Options

More than likely it was the best source video he could get. Night Trap has some defects too, that weren't in the original release(look at the glitch when they attack Cindy in the entryway).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I am running The 11th Hour in DOSBox and I am getting crackling audio on the videos. Is there a way to fix that?

Edit: I found a fix. It works right when I use Sound Canvas for audio. For some reason, it has problems with MT32.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I am running The 11th Hour in DOSBox and I am getting crackling audio on the videos. Is there a way to fix that?

Edit: I found a fix. It works right when I use Sound Canvas for audio. For some reason, it has problems with MT32.

...how do you find time to finish anything?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I know. I mess around getting old games to work and modding them.

Now, I bought a replacement XBox 360 because my current one just broke. I found one of those blue special edition ones on eBay for a good price.

• Options
  • Options
    It looks like the PC version of Deathtrap Dungeon is the best version.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/245010/discussions/0/864980734526328241/

• Options
    Did you know that Bruce Campbell did the voice acting on Pitfall 3D?
    https://youtu.be/YDJhrPyySE4

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I guess the PS1 version of Psychic Detective is the best version. It does not interlace the video. That was a problem with PC games back in the day. They always had to interlace that video.

The tray on my original Xbox would not open, but fear not! I had a replacement Xbox I got a while back. I just swapped it in.

Take that, broken disc drive.

Both my 360 and my original Xbox broke. What the hell?!?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Did you know that Bruce Campbell did the voice acting on Pitfall 3D?

Hey, I remember buying that game. Wonder if I still have it or tossed it into a sell pile to thin the collection.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I am starting the like the selection on the Astro City V.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I forgot that Genma Onimusha had tank controls. It is like Resident Evil.

• Options
  • Options
    The SecureRom on my VICE City is fighting Win10.
    So, I will have to use black magic.

• Options
    I checked on the internet for someone to repair my broken original Xbox and Xbox 360.
    There is no one out there for shit. They are officially too old.

I was going to try to replace the DVD drive in the 360, but they are keyed to the console. Who the hell does that?
    It seems like the original xbox just needs a belt replaced in the cd drive.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    There’s this guy on YouTube that does repairs of everything. Maybe you can look into one of them? Shipping would likely be a thing though.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I checked on the internet for someone to repair my broken original Xbox and Xbox 360.

I was going to try to replace the DVD drive in the 360, but they are keyed to the console. Who the hell does that?

The belt thing was pretty easy. I remember doing that one and I generally have no idea what I'm doing with electronics repair.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

For a few years I would just buy Black Friday 360 from GameStop when my previous 360 would die. They were usually something like $75 but also included a $75 gift card. Seemed less a hassle than trying to fix thing.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I wonder who would take broken consoles? I have a bunch I need to get rid off. Two of them are really shot.
    I had a 360 that red ringed and a PS2 with corrupted graphics. Those are probably beyond saving.
    The others just have broken disc drives.
    I would rather just sell them to some electronics salvage place.

• Options
    I did find a shop that will repair those two Xboxes. I was getting a quote. I would rather save those two since XBoxes are pretty hard to emulate and rip discs.
    Also, the 360 has DLC, which is hard to get in an emulator.
    Basically, you have to soft mod a 360 and PS3 to get all your stuff off of it.

The PS1 and PS2 are absurdly easy to setup for emulation.

• Options
    The over acting in this is hilarious.
    Really into that Wii.
    https://youtu.be/DmeGd13KuQo

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I wonder who would take broken consoles? I have a bunch I need to get rid off. Two of them are really shot.
    I had a 360 that red ringed and a PS2 with corrupted graphics. Those are probably beyond saving.
    The others just have broken disc drives.
    I would rather just sell them to some electronics salvage place.

Depends on your jurisdiction but where I am you can take old/broken electronics to our waste management center for responsible recycling.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

For a few years I would just buy Black Friday 360 from GameStop when my previous 360 would die. They were usually something like $75 but also included a $75 gift card. Seemed less a hassle than trying to fix thing.

Yeah, come to think of it, even now it might make more sense to just buy another used one.

Steam: offday