Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Corpse Killer is by the same studio that did Night Trap and Double Switch.

Also, American Laser Games made a good amount of games. I was surprised.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Speaking of failing consoles, last October this right to repair ruling came out in the US says that customers are allowed to repair their console optical drives.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/10/us-copyright-office-oks-right-to-repair-for-video-game-console-optical-drives/

I have an Xbox 360 with a broken optical drive. The machine is DRMed so that a code in the drive firmware needs to match a code in the CPU firmware. There are ways to copying the code to a new drive, but it’s detectable and used to result in an Xbox Live ban.

If I understand correctly, this ruling from the copyright office means that I’m legally allowed to circumvent their DRM to fix the drive. But I might see a loophole. Is Microsoft still allowed to ban accounts signed in on consoles that have after-market optical drives?

• Options
    I got a fat PS3 that needs a drive fix. I also got a fat PS2 with corrupt graphics.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I played some of the original Sega CD Night Trap. It has a different intro than the remaster. I wonder why they changed it.

Because the new one is a deleted scene and more cinematic, I guess. I like the original more.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Here is an Access Software game you never heard of.
    Amazon: Guardians of Eden
    https://youtu.be/0gXbj7eJxc8

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Another great Access Software game. I forgot how silly this one was. It is pretty cheap on eBay.
    Amped 3
    https://youtu.be/hZ3wNgjXpwM

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure ALG has more than Digital Pictures.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Here is an Access Software game you never heard of.
    Amazon: Guardians of Eden
    https://youtu.be/0gXbj7eJxc8

Oh this is neat looking. Went to go look for it on the Internet and see that GoG has it. Then see it is in my library.

Here's the link for anyone else.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/amazon_guardians_of_eden

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Reznik wrote: »
    There's a few different fixes for PS2 laser issues. The simplest is obviously just cleaning the laser. Sometimes you need to clean and grease the rails if the laser assembly isn't moving properly. Sometimes you need to adjust the alignment. Or you can adjust the potentiometers (one for CDs, one for DVDs) to give a little more juice to the laser.

Or if none of that works, you go on AliExpress and buy a box of replacement lasers from China.

All well and good, but this was info I needed twenty years ago. :lol: Cheers anyway though! :+1:

(Didn't have AliExpress then either.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    That at least was usually solved by a read head realignment, apparently. I really should have figured out how to do that back in the day, I could've made a mint :wink: ...or at least saved a few warranty replacements on used machines. Pretty sure it was only a temporary fix though.

I worked at a Game Crazy (think "EB Games but X-Treem!") when the DRE issue was at its peak, and I did exactly this. There was a guy at an electronics store in town that did it for $25, so I did it for $20 during downtimes in my shift. Your average PS2 was usually stuffed with dust because it had an air intake on the front of the console and a lot of people would put them on the floor. A lens cleaning and pot adjustment did wonders though. My manager didn't give a shit because it brought people in (people who were very happy that their consoles now worked again, and were therefor more receptive to being targeted for game sales, preorders, and MVP cards), and our regional manager didn't give a shit because he didn't know it was happening (but our metrics were so good that we got away with a lot of shit so I don't know if he would have even cared).

As an aside, I just remembered all of the people who would come in asking to buy a "Format Disc" for their PS2, because their console's drive was toast and they saw (and misinterpreted) the lesser displayed error message - a red screen with "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc" displayed.

Honestly though, if you have a fat PS2 now and you haven't softmodded it with FreeMCBoot (or whatever its modern equivalent is) and installed a hard drive than you are officially goofin' up. The optical drive on a PS2 is basically a useless appendage at this point. It is your PS2's appendix.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I'm pretty sure ALG has more than Digital Pictures.

Yeah. They do. They got a whole bunch of them. They even have a space pirate game.

• Options
    I am discovering there was a fair amount of weird Win 3.11 games I missed out on.

• Options
    I played some of the original Sega CD Night Trap. It has a different intro than the remaster. I wonder why they changed it.

Because the new one is a deleted scene and more cinematic, I guess. I like the original more.

The original one points out the camera feed cable. That is some important information.

I did run into a problem with Corpse Killer in the emulator. You have to disable the second controller for the first controller to work.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I forgot how good Emperor: Battle for Dune was. It adds a new faction not in the books.

Also, Dune 2000 is the bomb. You can get that for free. Gruntmods edition.

You can also get Tiberian Sun for free. There is a modded version that runs in Win10.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I wonder if more than one person here has a Pocket, but it looks like Analogue will be coming through with... something on friday.

And just like that, there's a GBA core released for it:

https://github.com/spiritualized1997/openFPGA-GBA

Buckle up, we're entering peak Pocket season.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    And i literally ordered an Everdrive yesterday.

At least it will get use until my pocket gets shipped in Q4.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My Majora's Mask 3DS has a scratch on the case. It is a small one on the edge. It tried buffing it out. I may have to try using really fine sandpaper.

Get one of those 4 sided sanding sponge nail files that cost like $2-3 at Wal-Mart and just start on the coarsest and work your way up. I use them for model making and can get it to a gloss shine easily.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    My Majora's Mask 3DS has a scratch on the case. It is a small one on the edge. It tried buffing it out. I may have to try using really fine sandpaper.

Get one of those 4 sided sanding sponge nail files that cost like $2-3 at Wal-Mart and just start on the coarsest and work your way up. I use them for model making and can get it to a gloss shine easily.

You dont have to make excuses. We know your nails are both fierce and flawless.

• Options
    Can you play
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    And i literally ordered an Everdrive yesterday.

At least it will get use until my pocket gets shipped in Q4.

Where did you order it from? The places I have looked at are sold out.

• Options
    https://krikzz.com

I'm a member of the AnaloguePocket subreddit and a member posted about the restock. With the jailbreak out it'll probably be easier to buy one.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sounds like the Genesis Mini 2 is going to be pretty light on supply. Guess I'm going to put a preorder in while we wait for the rest of the list to come out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Tex Murphy: Overseer will not run if I have the K-Lite codec pack installed.

Yet, I need that codec pack to run my videos in Wing Commander: Prophecy.

I am trying to get K-Lite to work with both, but no such luck.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Sounds like the Genesis Mini 2 is going to be pretty light on supply. Guess I'm going to put a preorder in while we wait for the rest of the list to come out.

Yeah. I got my order in a while back.
    Here is a link for anyone interested.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4D19JJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is kinda weird because it is shipping from Japan.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The GB/ GBA open Pocket cores don't have any source so that looks suspiciously like our official unofficial "jailbreak." Hopefully GG / MS follows soon.

Notable that on their roadmap no official cores are mentioned. So it may be on the community to get TG-16, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket and the like up in a timely manner.

• Options
    I like how the SDCC happened and people really did not care. I think nerd culture is kinda on a downturn. I think people are sick of the internet.

It is kind of amusing. We are reaching a point were we are a little too saturated with electronic technology.

• Options
    How epic things can get in NFS: Most Wanted (2005).
    https://youtu.be/RtmjjK1Y6ns

• Options
    I like how the SDCC happened and people really did not care. I think nerd culture is kinda on a downturn. I think people are sick of the internet.

That's insane, do you have any idea how massive that con was? I think it's the entire opposite.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    X-Play Comic Con Panel. I would not mind if X-Play showed up at PAX.
    https://youtu.be/NvJMgH7RoLU

• Options

That's insane, do you have any idea how massive that con was? I think it's the entire opposite.

Maybe my YouTube algorithm is off. I really did not hear much about it this year.

• Options

Maybe my YouTube algorithm is off. I really did not hear much about it this year.

I wouldn't just rely on that. The Macross panel, for example, was nuts, a ton of major announcements.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, SDCC was huge for toy news (of course) and I kept on seeing stuff about it during the show.

So I thought that the Genesis Mini 2 has not been announced for the US sales. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I'm a member of the AnaloguePocket subreddit and a member posted about the restock. With the jailbreak out it'll probably be easier to buy one.

Yeah. They are out of stock now. It ran out quick. Yeesh.
    Do you use zipped roms on the Everdrive or do they have to be decompressed?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Yeah, SDCC was huge for toy news (of course) and I kept on seeing stuff about it during the show.

So I thought that the Genesis Mini 2 has not been announced for the US sales. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah. The US version will be shipped from Japan this time. Kind of different.
    So, there will probably not be that many.

• Options

Uncompressed.

• Options

Uncompressed.

Does it support a variety of rom formats?

• Options
    edited July 2022

Ah ok. That sucks and is weird. Guess I'll pre-order the one you linked then.

Thanks!

Edit: Yikes. They're charging shipping? I just looked and it is cheaper to pre-order it from Amazon Japan.

17,530 yen which is roughly $131.60 versus $137.08 (yeah we're talking dollars cheaper, which is sort of funny when I think about it).

AJ link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0B4D19JJ4/

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Thanks!

Edit: Yikes. They're charging shipping? I just looked and it is cheaper to pre-order it from Amazon Japan.

17,530 yen which is roughly $131.60 versus $137.08 (yeah we're talking dollars cheaper, which is sort of funny when I think about it).

It is pretty bizarre. I guess the previous mini did not sell as well in the US. I thought it did. Sega may be losing popularity.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Interviews claimed that the original mini sold better overseas, and this time the chip shortage held them back from a real worldwide release, but I'm also guessing whoever is head of retro stuff there is only tuned into Japan and there's not much pressure to go wider.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Thanks!

It is pretty bizarre. I guess the previous mini did not sell as well in the US. I thought it did. Sega may be losing popularity.

I got mine on a super discount, so I imagine they did not sell as well as the Nintendo units. Not nearly as bad as the PlayStation though.

Interviews claimed that the original mini sold better overseas, and this time the chip shortage held them back from a real worldwide release, but I'm also guessing whoever is head of retro stuff there is only tuned into Japan and there's not much pressure to go wider.

That makes sense for them to only sell these things in Japan. Now that I think about it didn't the Gamegear ones only came out in Japan?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Can't even order the damn thing from Amazon.com if you live in Canada. "For sales in North America," my ass.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!