As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Is there even a grounds for appeal on a Ministerial decision?

ABC is reporting that he has an avenue to appeal, but what that is, I don't know.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    From what I’m hearing he can make an argument that he’s a diplomat since he has a diplomatic passport, but that might prevent him from working so he won’t be able to play.

Which would be hilarious.

according to a Spanish lawyer just now on tv (it is a big topic here) Australia does not grant any privileges to holders of Serbian diplomatic passports. apparently this is handled on a case-by-case basis for every inter-country relationship which is not something I knew before.

in short, diplomatic passport sounds impressive, does not change anything for him however.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    From what I’m hearing he can make an argument that he’s a diplomat since he has a diplomatic passport, but that might prevent him from working so he won’t be able to play.

Which would be hilarious.

according to a Spanish lawyer just now on tv (it is a big topic here) Australia does not grant any privileges to holders of Serbian diplomatic passports. apparently this is handled on a case-by-case basis for every inter-country relationship which is not something I knew before.

in short, diplomatic passport sounds impressive, does not change anything for him however.

The fact that Serbia gave a diplomatic passport to a tennis player seems like a perfectly good reason not to grant any privileges to holders of said passports.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    pcgpbjxd1wjn.png

• Options
    Kid's childcare centre has been closed by ACT health due to Covid.
    They were open what, eight days since the holidays before multiple staff and kids tested positive.
    I'm sure schools reopening will be perfectly fine.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This was so dumb today. It comes down to Novaks lawyer saying “He didn’t consider this!” and the counter argument being “Nuh-huh, you can’t prove that”.

Clown show and we STILL have no decision!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Hahaha he’s goners.

Apparently he’s on the hook for all legal fees too.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hahaha he’s goners.

Already seeing the "this is a travesty! It'll harm Australia's reputation!" crap.

The rules were (relatively) clear. The solution simple. He didn't follow them. Being rich and talented shouldn't be a waiver.

The only hit to our reputation is that he was allowed in/wasn't on the first plane out.

Also, the judge that lifted it in one of those first hearings, should get caned for it.

• Options
    In fairness Kelly was right the first time. All the ABF needed to do to see him on his way was respect him being able to talk to his lawyer at 8am. They changed their minds and sent him to detention around 6am or so. Had they just done things the way they said it would have never got that far.

Of course one could argue he was never supposed to get a visa issued in the first place, as the rules there were exceptionally clear imo. No vaccinations? International? No visa.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    The first judges decision is fine. They told him he had until a certain time and then canceled his visa 40 minutes early. That’s wrong, and the government deserved to lose the case on that.

It was a procedural fuckup that’s entirely on the government.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The first judges decision is fine. They told him he had until a certain time and then canceled his visa 40 minutes early. That’s wrong, and the government deserved to lose the case on that.

It was a procedural fuckup that’s entirely in the government.

Ahh. Must have missed that.

Was more the "we need two more days", "no", *two days later it all goes to shit*.

Buy yeah, if the government fucked up over some crap and gave him a loophole, that's on them.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Hahaha he’s goners.

Already seeing the "this is a travesty! It'll harm Australia's reputation!" crap.

The rules were (relatively) clear. The solution simple. He didn't follow them. Being rich and talented shouldn't be a waiver.

The only hit to our reputation is that he was allowed in/wasn't on the first plane out.

Also, the judge that lifted it in one of those first hearings, should get caned for it.

The part that harms reputation is how unnecessarily drawn out and uncertain the whole process was.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I guess my next curiosity is

What does him being deported from Australia do to the rest of his future travel visas?

Because every time I applied to immigration, I had to declare if I had every been deported from anywhere. I'm assuming he will too.

I'm quietly enjoying the mental idea that he'll be monumental screwed from international travel for a while because of this.

Nobody take this from me for at least five minutes.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    He can’t re-enter the country for three years as a rule of the minister invoking this specific act.

There’s two exceptions - compassionate grounds that affect the interests of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, or if it’s in the National interest.

So his chances if entering Australia for the next three years are slim to none.

Not sure about other countries or in general after those three years.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Wouldn't a big name tennis star attending a future tennis tournament be "national interest"? If the heat's died down next time they'll do it without a second thought.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Looks like some Americans "of note" are getting on the whole "Because of what happened to Djokovic, I'm never going to Australia."

To which I say, if you're an unvaccinated liar like him, or the supporter of one, and follow through on that "threat", thanks! :+1:

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Good. Nobody wants you folks down here.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    Looks like some Americans "of note" are getting on the whole "Because of what happened to Djokovic, I'm never going to Australia."

To which I say, if you're an unvaccinated liar like him, or the supporter of one, and follow through on that "threat", thanks! :+1:

Yes, it's really upset the anti-vaxxer lot in a good way. The Australian government is going to look at these declarations and say "We don't give a shit anyway".

TBH, I'm surprised that having enough money to throw around didn't save someone for once. It's almost pleasant.

Now if only this whole mess had done a really good thing and exposed the terrible conditions of those refugees at Park Plaza...

• Options
    edited January 2022
    People are submitting bad data to the RAT reporting portal in NSW.
    Good job, high five, such great preparation by the government.

We needed the QR codes or other identifiers on the tests before letting Covid run rampant.
    And also enough tests.

Sick enough of this that I wrote to my chief health officer, saying that my family is in self-imposed lockdown anyway.
    And dodged exposure at our childcare because of it.

discrider on
  • Options
    Oh look. Now that the anti vaxxers hate the LNP here comes Clive fucking Palmer chasing the anti vax vote.

Who could have foreseen this happening.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Fush n chups: Apparently the entire country will be shifted into alert level red (alert level? traffic level? I don't know) if we see any Omicron outbreak, which is possibly imminent.

Am I the only one that is incapable at this point of describing the difference between the traffic light levels? The covid news cycle fatigue has just turned all of this stuff into a vague mish mash. But then, the govt covid website also seems to be making every possible effort to not clearly describe the difference between red and orange. Feels much of a muchness at a glance.

I get that there was a need to change from alert levels, I just wish the communication around what a change from one level to another actually means was better.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Looks like the LNP might be involved in another scandal over the pandemic.

The Pharmacy Guild is saying that large orders of RATs are going missing even after being paid in full. It's coincided with the governments announcment of purchasing $62 million worth of RATs. Now several pharmacies and online sellers are sending emails to their customers that the government has seized their paid for test kits.

Greg Hunt has, obviously, claimed it's a bunch of lies. I'd expect the truth to be somewhere in the middle as it usually is, but knowing this government I'm fully expecting proof to come out in a week or so and then Scotty to make a public announcment that says absolutely nothing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I mean, even if he does, I assume he's been taken to a plane
    exis wrote: »
    Fush n chups: Apparently the entire country will be shifted into alert level red (alert level? traffic level? I don't know) if we see any Omicron outbreak, which is possibly imminent.

Am I the only one that is incapable at this point of describing the difference between the traffic light levels? The covid news cycle fatigue has just turned all of this stuff into a vague mish mash. But then, the govt covid website also seems to be making every possible effort to not clearly describe the difference between red and orange. Feels much of a muchness at a glance.

I get that there was a need to change from alert levels, I just wish the communication around what a change from one level to another actually means was better.

Red : Gathering limits in venues / businesses of max 100 at a time, is the main difference, near as I can tell.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like the LNP might be involved in another scandal over the pandemic.

The Pharmacy Guild is saying that large orders of RATs are going missing even after being paid in full. It's coincided with the governments announcment of purchasing $62 million worth of RATs. Now several pharmacies and online sellers are sending emails to their customers that the government has seized their paid for test kits.

Greg Hunt has, obviously, claimed it's a bunch of lies. I'd expect the truth to be somewhere in the middle as it usually is, but knowing this government I'm fully expecting proof to come out in a week or so and then Scotty to make a public announcment that says absolutely nothing.

The thing is, if it they have been confiscating them, why fucking lie?

There's several good reasons as to why it might be necessary, and if it's a lie, it's absolutely going to be found out.

Did Scotty and his brain trust look at the idiocy playing out the UK and go "Hey, we wanna get caught out being completely full of shit in a verifiable and embarassing way too!"?

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Scott Morrison proposing to solve the supply chain crisis by having children drive forklifts is a timely reminder that there is no such thing as peak stupid.

• Options
    Time to get the popcorn ready.

The Djokovic saga is not over. He’s preparing to sue the Australian government for $6 million, which includes what he could have won if they let him play.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Red : Gathering limits in venues / businesses of max 100 at a time, is the main difference, near as I can tell.

Also vax passes become needed in more places, like on buses? Going by the signs I see on buses down here

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't think a vax pass on a Bus is a thing.
    You do not need to show a vaccine pass to use public transport, as these services are needed to access services for basic needs such as food and healthcare.

• Options
    there is very little change for traffic lights if you're vaccinated and have your vax pass. At red you drop how many people you can have over for a gathering, but I think that's basically it. Some hospitality venues lose numbers in how many they can seat, etc.

It's mostly the restrictions get tighter on those who are unvaccinated, and those places/venues that are not using vaxpasses also find tighter restrictions. I believe that even some places that are close contact retail (think hairdressers/nail salons/etc) that don't use vaxpass will be closed.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The Djokovic saga is not over. He’s preparing to sue the Australian government for $6 million, which includes what he could have won if they let him play.

I can't imagine how this goes well for him

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular

This seems pointless. The court already ruled that the government could do what it did. It seems exceedingly unlikely that it rule that way and then rule that the government has to compensate him for damages.

• Options
    If anything, sue Tennis Australia for plane tickets and legal costs for making him think he had an exemption.

• Options
    Oh I know. But it’s going to be a fun time watching him try.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Fixing the immigration system because a primadonna covid denying tennis player sued the government would be darkly amusing to me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Also vax passes become needed in more places, like on buses? Going by the signs I see on buses down here
    there is very little change for traffic lights if you're vaccinated and have your vax pass. At red you drop how many people you can have over for a gathering, but I think that's basically it. Some hospitality venues lose numbers in how many they can seat, etc.

It's mostly the restrictions get tighter on those who are unvaccinated, and those places/venues that are not using vaxpasses also find tighter restrictions. I believe that even some places that are close contact retail (think hairdressers/nail salons/etc) that don't use vaxpass will be closed.

See this is all useful information that could be bullet pointed somewhere. And I'm sure it is, just not on the official govt covid advice website. I mean I know the info is buried in there, just not in a form that your average idiot like myself is going to bother hunting down. Just tell me what changes when it goes from orange to red!

edit: here ends my old man rant.

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I actually got a handy dandy leaflet in the post about a week or so back?

there's some handy graphics in this RNZ article
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/456303/explained-what-the-traffic-light-system-is-and-how-it-works

and this is the rough image layout, although it's still not instant easy to get. and it's also super blurry but I think that might just be my eyes?
    TRAFFIC-LIGHT.jpg

But that's mostly because there's a *lot* of moving parts.

Edit:

Found a better image in another RNZ article.

You'd think that Toby Morris would have gotten around to drawing us some shiny cartoons for this by now
    eight_col_TRAFFIC-LIGHTS-LONG.jpg?1636078067

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    WA's staying shut - Feb 5th opening delayed indefinitely

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-20/wa-border-opening-delayed/100771492

• Options
    I didn't fully appreciate what an increasingly heavy weight I had been carrying as we approached that date until it was lifted.

• Options

lol

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Congrats WA. That decision will save upwards of 100 lives, minimum. As a bonus, your economy won't take a giant hit, your health system won't choke, and Clive will be so, so mad.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png