As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    very disappointing to read that ardern has ruled out the possibility of rent control

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    All this talk about ScoMo struggling but there's not going to be a leadership spill sound a lot like what happens before a sudden leadership spill.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what a leadership spill would accomplish.
    Presumably it would put forward someone more conservative? As that seems to be the majority of the party?
    And then the moderates flee the party I guess.

• Options
    Dutton. do you mean moderate voters, or moderate party members, disc?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Yes.
    I can hope

I meant the party members, because already defecting members are just going to defect more when strong-armed.

I'd hope such dysfunction would also drive away moderate voters, as it would clearly highlight the party's 'values', or at least make them seem unfit to govern.
    But I'm not holding my breath.

discrider on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Crikey!

So, there were Covid protests in Canberra this weekend.
    https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/antivaccine-mandate-ralliers-potentially-target-vaccine-hub-hosting-childrens-event/news-story/9e98221eab0c5436f122209a38d56102

Being a Murdoch site, of course the URL is clickbaity, the children's event interruption didn't happen. Though a book fair and farmer's market did close out of safety concerns. So, good job international plague rat community, your propensity for violence has people afraid of any protest you're a factor at.

When on one side, you've got both the Prime Minister AND the Opposition Leader in agreement against, and on the other side you've got racist moron opportunist Pauline Hanson, it's pretty clear which side is right, and has the support of most Australians.

I'll support people willing to take the "sacrifice" of a couple of jabs to help themselves, their families, their communities, and the nation, for those that cannot take the vaccine or for who it won't work, over self-entitled wankers that think everyone should accommodate them.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    There's been rolling protests for the last couple of weeks, and it's just like, why.
    Did you not want to go home after Summernats?
    Most all restrictions have been lifted to the detriment of us all.

(Possibly an unfair generalisation, but its attendants still went despite Omicron and I'm still dirty at the EPIC testing clinic getting shut to host it, and EPIC is coincidentally also where all these jokers are camping.)

discrider on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    There's been rolling protests for the last couple of weeks, and it's just like, why.
    Did you not want to go home after Summernats?
    Most all restrictions have been lifted to the detriment of us all.

(Possibly an unfair generalisation, but its attendants still went despite Omicron and I'm still dirty at the EPIC testing clinic getting shut to host it, and EPIC is coincidentally also where all these jokers are camping.)

Probably the same reason the whackos in other countries do it.

It gives them a sense of validation, that their terrible taeks are echoed back at them. They can't be wrong, look at how many people agree with them!

That we're above 95% vaccinated in most demographic brackets is irrelevant. They have a couple hundred to a couple thousand dipshits in person egging them on, and maybe ten times tha online. That it's still single digit (if not less) percentagewise is irrelevant to them. More people than they can count agree with them, therefore they have overwhelming support.

It's why science, math, and statistics need more attention in schools.

Because it's hard to argue with the ignorant when they don't even have a base for understanding.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The Speaker of the House has apparently decided that, after a night of leaving the sprinklers on, the next step is music.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/461363/covid-19-protesters-persist-at-parliament-for-fifth-day

A 15 minute loop that includes Barry Manilow and The Macarena, as well as Covid Health Bulletins.

Somewhere, somebody broke reality.

• Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Trying to court the votes of the cooked.

Fucking profile in courage, this guy.

"It's not me doing this to you, it's those dastardly Premiers! I'm just a lowly Prime Minister of Australia."

Take a fucking stand, you feckless shit.

You don't even have to go on the offensive. I'd call them out for being cowards, putting their own selfishness over the safety of the community, and they're free to not get the shot, but fuck them, they can stay home.

But if you wanted a more congenial tone, something like...

"I understand that people resent being mandated to be vaccinated, but the toll of the pandemic has had a massive toll, one we've mostly been spared, and as leader of this nation, I have to put the safety of those vulnerable Australians and the health of the country as a whole, ahead of the wishes of the individual. It's a part of the Digger spirit, to make the personal sacrifice for the safety and security of our citizens."

Instead, it's "Please don't hurt me!". Sad little worm.

• Options
    ABC News wrote:
    Yesterday, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed that campers had to leave EPIC by Sunday evening so that the site could be prepared for the Canberra Show.

He warned that if protesters did not move on, police would respond accordingly.

"We've been through this process once already in terms of managing a move-on at the end of a protest, so the same will apply," he said.

"Police are ready and we have the numbers to move on any of the last stragglers who don't move on at the conclusion of their rental agreement to hire the campground," he added.

The ACT government also announced that it would donate $25,000 to Lifeline Canberra as a result of the cancellation of the book fair today.

Just lol.

Just a straight reversal of Summernats.
    The event's going to ship them out this time.

And I guess at least the testing centre hasn't been inundated by idiots camping on top of it, although I have to worry still.

• Options
    Crikey!

Watching the superbowl on 7. Every fucking ad break, a United Australia ad.

Fuck. Off. Clive.

I'd rather vote for Scotty, heck, I'd rather vote for fucking Pauline Hanson, than vote for your party, you arsehole.

UAP, ranked last, and,in perpetuity.

Because fuck you, Clive.

• Options
    So like... how do we find out where all the cash for Clive is coming from?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

His net worth is like 14 billion.

This is pocket change to him.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

His net worth is like 14 billion.

This is pocket change to him.

He also is going that thing where despite his lifestyle he's going to live forever.

• Options
    He never spends his own money when someone else will do it. His spruiking for uranium mining makes me wonder, for one thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    And morrison just said this on the anniversary of the National Apology to the Stolen Generations.
    “I said 14 years ago, ‘Sorry is not the hardest word to say … the hardest is I forgive you.’”

Is this looney tunes day or something? How did he get this past his script writer. Does he even have one? What the flying fuck?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Given he's a total narcicist I'm guessing he wrote it himself and thought it sounded fine.

Why shouldn't they forgive us? We said sorry!

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Meanwhile NT Covid cases continue.

I mean, I'm getting this take from only a passing knowledge of NT Covid news on the ABC.
    But you have this:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-08/nt-covid-hospital-admissions-peak-omicron-outbreak/100810830
    Where the NT has the highest hospitalisation rate seen in Aus.
    And that appears to be attributed to healthcare disadvantages in the article (which also proves the point), but I recall there were also grave concerns prior about the vaccine rollout in indigenous communities.

discrider on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    And morrison just said this on the anniversary of the National Apology to the Stolen Generations.
    “I said 14 years ago, ‘Sorry is not the hardest word to say … the hardest is I forgive you.’”

Is this looney tunes day or something? How did he get this past his script writer. Does he even have one? What the flying fuck?

I have to admit, I thought this was genuinely satire when I saw it.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So, nurses in NSW are striking tomorrow.

Brad Hazzard held crisis talks with the union about pay and staff levels, and couldn’t come to an agreement.

Then the NSW government worked with the Industrial Relations Commission, which banned the action.

It seems they’ve collectively given the government the bird and are striking anyway.

A day with no nurses in our current situation in NSW. This could go badly.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Good on em.
    Bad for the sick but something has to change.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was hoping it's like doctors but ah no. Less people die during a doctors strike but more people die during a nurses strike.

• Options
    and it's precisely that reason that the bosses can hold it over nurses and force them to work. Let's be clear, the nurses only want their fair share. The bosses could have agreed at any point, but decided on gambling with their patients' lives instead

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    and it's precisely that reason that the bosses can hold it over nurses and force them to work. Let's be clear, the nurses only want their fair share. The bosses could have agreed at any point, but decided on gambling with their patients' lives instead

It's a free market economy, unless, you know, they deem you essential. In which case, they play the hardship game, and "won't anyone think of the children patients!".

Happens all the time with teachers, nurses, fire/ambos.

Occasionally police, but politicians have learned you don't fuck with police (probably a bad lesson once you see what has happened in the US).

• Options
    hahahahaha that's made my day

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    That made me realise how much I can't stand even looking at that man.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife was just down at the discount chemist in the city refilling her meds.

There were 2 unmasked women there clearing the place out of Strepsils. Like, an armload of throat lozenges each.

... it's not disturbing at all that the protest on Parliament lawn apparently needs 300+ throat lozenges. I mean, they've been out in the storm and singing and shouting, they've already got outbreaks of conjuncivitus and athlete's foot, probably not anything else, right?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Oh dear

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't some cholera. They can pretend to be character from Oregon Trail and get dysentery.

Ugh. I'm so sorry y'all are having to deal with these

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The worst thing is when they return to the South Island and spread what will certainly be COVID everywhere.

So frustrating and angering. Government has done absolutely nothing about these twits.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I thought the South Island contingent had trouble crossing the strait?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Some are parked up in Picton, but a few managed to make it across.

Note that with one ferry broken and another in need of serious maintenance, there's reduced capacity on the Cook Strait at the moment and I think there's about a 1 month backlog to get booked passage across.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    God, if we have a clean ALP sweep a la WA it would be a Christmas miracle

E:oooh oooh! ALP lower house with a Greens balance of power in the upper

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think the police need to step up and do something more decisive about these nitwits. This has been a shambles.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    That's not a knife:

This connected Red Scare tactic by the fed LNP is fucking disgusting, and News Ltd has joined in, despite fucking ASIO saying it's a bad idea. Yesterday Morrison accused Albanese of being a "Manchurian Candidate".

The video is from YEARS AGO, and holy shit, speaking another language is considered proof of being a CCP puppet?

Politics is at an all time low.

Of course One Nation and Palmer will fall over themselves to also parrot anti Chinese rhetoric.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    this kind of clearly racist shit should be illegal

like you straight up should not be allowed to legally call another candidate anything like this

if its a real concern, setup an anti corruption commission with some teeth and refer them to it

otherwise fuck off

Morninglord on