As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Went out for lunch today, on the way home I saw a kid in a Make Australia Great Again hat. Also in the elevator someone has slapped a Proud Boys Australia sticker on the wall.

Kinda regret buying my house here, but I guess this shit is everywhere now anyway

-Loki- on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fush and chups

So a few weeks back, parliament passed the book to recognise/create a new paid holiday for Matariki. End of June.

Yay! Another holiday!

Chris Luxon, head of the National Party, who is starting to campaign for the election next year has suggested that we don't actually need another holiday. So if we must have this Matariki holiday, we should get rid of another one.

Maybe Labor Day?

And I just... On top of all the other rubbish things he's saying... In what universe do you think campaigning on "hey no extra paid days off for you! No new holiday! You have enough!" is a valid election strategy?!?!

Labour Party says "here have one more to make 13!"
    National Party says "No no can't have that! No baker's dozen for you lot! Costs your masters too much!"

This is also ignoring the suggestions of cutting the social safety net, removing heating subsidies, etc.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fush and chups

So a few weeks back, parliament passed the book to recognise/create a new paid holiday for Matariki. End of June.

Yay! Another holiday!

Chris Luxon, head of the National Party, who is starting to campaign for the election next year has suggested that we don't actually need another holiday. So if we must have this Matariki holiday, we should get rid of another one.

Maybe Labor Day?

And I just... On top of all the other rubbish things he's saying... In what universe do you think campaigning on "hey no extra paid days off for you! No new holiday! You have enough!" is a valid election strategy?!?!

National Party says "No no can't have that! No baker's dozen for you lot! Costs your masters too much!"

This is also ignoring the suggestions of cutting the social safety net, removing heating subsidies, etc.

I've always been in favor of getting rid of nearly all public holidays in Australia and just adding the remainder to permanent annual service, and if people want to celebrate one of the government mandated religious holidays, or other stuff (QBDay, Melbourne Cup, etc), then they can. I'd be fine with one for foundation, though I can understand why Jan 26th is problematic, one for remembrance,

It's mostly the religious ones I object to on basic principle, partly because it feeds into the idea Australia is a "christian nation". We're not, but it's hard to make that case when it's abundantly clear that

Note, this'd be a fairly significant cut to my paycheck (I've worked more than 80% of all public holidays for the last 20 years), but I think people just having six weeks a year (and two official PH) would be more beneficial overall.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Fush and chups

Yay! Another holiday!

Maybe Labor Day?

Stupid thing is, it doesn't even 'cost' that much. Some businesses suffer, but others (tourism, which is hurting post-pandemic) pick up. So the net economic effect is... sometimes better, sometimes worse, but overall about the same.

Also stupid: half the point of putting a holidaty in June/July is to break up the long winter stretch between Queen's Birthday and Labour Day. By taking out Labour Day, he introduces an even longer stretch, of around 6 months without a public holiday.
    If you were to actually remove a holiday, there's so many better targets. No one in the world celebrates 'the day after New Years Day' besides us. Or NZ is a small nation; do we really need regional holidays, most of which occur in the Summer months? Queen's Birthday is just hanging out there as well, not even in the same month as Liz 2's actual birthday and gets moved around for every change of regent anyway, so what's up with that? Note that Charles is born in November, so when are we planning on putting that?

Labour Day is such a poor fucking choice, from so many different perspectives.

But fuck it, if they really want to get rid of Labour Day, I'll support it... in exchange for a Sufferage Day in late September, and a Marriage Equality Day in late August.

You know, that's not a bad calander.

Jan: New Year's
    Feb: Waitangi
    Mar: (sometimes Easter)
    Apr: (mostly Easter), ANZAC
    May: Queen's Birthday (~until it's gone~)
    Jun/Jul: Matariki
    Aug: Equality
    Sep: Sufferage
    Oct: Labour
    Nov: (~King's Birthday?~)
    Dec: Xmas/Boxing

I might be willing to drop Day after New Year's and regional holidays for that.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Fush and chups

Yay! Another holiday!

Maybe Labor Day?

Stupid thing is, it doesn't even 'cost' that much. Some businesses suffer, but others (tourism, which is hurting post-pandemic) pick up. So the net economic effect is... sometimes better, sometimes worse, but overall about the same.

Also stupid: half the point of putting a holidaty in June/July is to break up the long winter stretch between Queen's Birthday and Labour Day. By taking out Labour Day, he introduces an even longer stretch, of around 6 months without a public holiday.
    If you were to actually remove a holiday, there's so many better targets. No one in the world celebrates 'the day after New Years Day' besides us. Or NZ is a small nation; do we really need regional holidays, most of which occur in the Summer months? Queen's Birthday is just hanging out there as well, not even in the same month as Liz 2's actual birthday and gets moved around for every change of regent anyway, so what's up with that? Note that Charles is born in November, so when are we planning on putting that?

Labour Day is such a poor fucking choice, from so many different perspectives.

But fuck it, if they really want to get rid of Labour Day, I'll support it... in exchange for a Sufferage Day in late September, and a Marriage Equality Day in late August.

You know, that's not a bad calander.

Jan: New Year's
    Feb: Waitangi
    Mar: (sometimes Easter)
    Apr: (mostly Easter), ANZAC
    May: Queen's Birthday (~until it's gone~)
    Jun/Jul: Matariki
    Aug: Equality
    Sep: Sufferage
    Oct: Labour
    Nov: (~King's Birthday?~)
    Dec: Xmas/Boxing

I might be willing to drop Day after New Year's and regional holidays for that.

The day after new years day is just an admission of the issues with our drinking culture, really.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Wouldn't we just keep the date of Queen's Birthday for the King? It's not like it's her birthday is on that day (or month) anyway.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Wouldn't we just keep the date of Queen's Birthday for the King? It's not like it's her birthday is on that day (or month) anyway.

I looked into it once out of curiosity, this is what happens. It will just become King’s Birthday.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah the monarchs birthday had been in June since I think George II.

I mean, as a religious minority in fine with getting rid of Christmas and Easter as federal holidays.

But having a public holiday calendar with vaguely enforced time off for most sectors isn't a bad thing! I tend to think it's actually pretty important!

Also, I like that calendar, Fishman. let's do that

• Options
    Public holidays ought to be like the 2020 lockdown. Society ought to have a complete stop from time to time.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Public holidays ought to be like the 2020 lockdown. Society ought to have a complete stop from time to time.

But there's a significant number of people for whom there isn't. Medical staff (especially nurses and ER Docs), nursing home staff, police and fire, security, a lot of restaurant staff and service station attendants, essential staff at utility providers, certain food production elements (dairy farmers don't get to not do their milking), other industries where heavy machinery needs to run constantly. There's a lot of people who work a job that doesn't guarantee public holidays off.

Yes, mostly they're paid penalty rates (until LNP/PUP decide maybe not), but that's at the cost of up to two weeks worth of leave a year.

I'm not sure that there'd be widespread support for that amongst people who do it, but I also don't think there'd be widespread support on restrictions against working 50-70 hours a week (cause overtime), but I'm pretty sure both of these would be in the best interests of health and wellbeing (at the cost of financial impact) of the people working.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

spoken like one in a white collar job, though.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Fush and chups

Yay! Another holiday!

Maybe Labor Day?

Luxon being barely capable of hiding his hatred for the poor is real gross.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Public holidays aside, IMO we should be removing restricted trading days. We shouldn't be treating specific religious holidays differently in terms of who is allowed to open their business. Supposedly this is a secular state.

Also it's just pointlessly confusing.

• Options
    No, more restricted trading days imo. Are people so short sighted that they can't even plan one day in advance? Are we so caught in a consumist mindset that we can't handle one day without going to the shops?

Tbh, I think the removal of sat/sun restricted trading in the 80s/90s was a major blow to social cohesion. Many clubs and groups have been on a long slow decline since. We have the same free time but our schedules don't line up in the same way. As individuals we're fine but our group cohesion is harmed.

My issue with people working public holidays is less to do with the individuals working (they're paid well, get a day off in lieu, and most are very happy with it) and more to do with society, a team of 5 million.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Fush and chups

Yay! Another holiday!

Maybe Labor Day?

Luxon being barely capable of hiding his hatred for the poor is real gross.

To this point, his interview with Tova was fairly illuminating

https://www.todayfm.co.nz/home/politics/2022/04/how-much-would-former-air-nz-ceo-chris-luxon-make-back-under-national-tax-cuts.html

(Apologies, not sure how to link the interview directly, embedded in the article)

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I don't personally take holidays and dislike them for various reasons, because of the way I worked my store (successfully) but everyone should be entitled to them. I wish they weren't so tied to religious holidays, but that's tradition and it's not like people are that worried about the precise reason why they get a long weekend. I'm not sure running on a platform of "You don't deserve extra time off!" is a thing National thinks people want. Not all of their voters own a small business and even though I did own one, I think that's ridiculous thing to run on.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    It's pretty hard to break the association of calendars and religion. Even the name holiday comes from holy day. I used to worry about living in 2021 AD and such but nowadays I just chill and don't worry about today being Woden's day etc. Matariki is a continuation of this, if we can't secularise the year, we can at least have holy days of other belief systems.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    So a judge has somewhat ruled against the government on the MIQ system. The basic jist was while the government had a right to make the system and so forth, they found the government didn't apply it fairly enough such as in having enough emergency allocations and applying it fairly based on circumstances. I had personal experience with the MIQ system and it was not fun. While trying to find my flight in the system to book my MIQ spaces, I noticed neither of my flights were anywhere in the drop down menu and that was the first I had been told my flights were canceled by Qantas.

So I rang Qantas and spent nearly 6 hours on the phone, while desperately trying to make sure I could still book a place in MIQ to go home. The extremely rude, arrogant lady on the phone knew 100% that I was completely and utterly fucked because of the MIQ system. They ended up charging me almost double the cost of my original booked flights to NZ to change to a (rapidly declining) number of days to return home. This was something they absolutely knew they could do and they knew I could do jack shit about it or just end up not being able to go home. It was predatory and sickening behaviour on their part and Qantas should be ashamed.

I ended up getting very lucky and I know for a fact, if I had to change flights on another day or if I had been returning home later than early 2021, I would have been unable to come home period (as we would have lost the MIQ slots for certain). This would have left myself and my partner stranded in Australia with nowhere to live, no jobs - albeit I was employed but I don't know if my job would have held with being unable to return to NZ - or anything else really. Would have been an extremely scary time, especially if you're aware that NZ citizens such as myself are basically treated like shit by the Australian government and I would have likely been homeless, no job and no social support.

MIQ could have been handled infinitely better and more humanely than a three month fucking lottery system, which Airlines knew you were utterly fucked on if you missed out so could do whatever they wanted to you business wise without a care in the world.

TL:DR returning back to NZ with the unknowns of the MIQ system was one of the most stressful and terrifying experiences of my life. Especially when Australian customs almost stopped my partner from leaving the country. I honest to god thought I was going to have a heart attack that day.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    The unknowns of MIQ were the primary reason that I didn't fly back to the States to say goodbye to my mother before she passed. The abject fear and anxiety generated by the system was enough to keep me grounded here.

Which, you know, not a terrible thing in a pandemic, but...

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Got my postal vote today, and did democracy with the respect it is due when people are literally fighting and dying for it right now.

• Options
    Got my postal vote today, and did democracy with the respect it is due when people are literally fighting and dying for it right now.

Do they at least mail you a sausage?

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    knd7ohy92ier.png
    For ease of getting into the letterbox

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly the worst part of voting from overseas, having to supply your own sausage

• Options
    My partner checked today and she made sure she's off the Australian electoral role.

Might have been a bit awkward otherwise.

• Options
    I don't care where i live, I'll be on the electoral roll till i die. I am never gonna pass up the chance to do a big fat spite vote against the LNP

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't care where i live, I'll be on the electoral roll till i die. I am never gonna pass up the chance to do a big fat spite vote against the LNP

Always a worthy vote.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Am currently looking at early voting (and postal voting, as they appear the same) criteria, and I'm probably voting early due to 'reasonable concern for my safety', re: not getting Covid.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Am currently looking at early voting (and postal voting, as they appear the same) criteria, and I'm probably voting early due to 'reasonable concern for my safety', re: not getting Covid.
    I have never been asked why I am early voting any of the times I have done so.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I've been asked "are you eligible to early vote" and I reply yes and there has never been any followup.

• Options
    I think I have always had to select a reason when I applied online but it was pretty broad and general (eg "not able to make it to a polling booth" / "travelling overseas" / "other")

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I have never been asked why I am early voting any of the times I have done so.

I think I had to check a box when getting my name checked off the electoral roll when I was 'over 8km from a voting booth'.

Last time was the first time I think I voted on election day, as I was living in town then.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Who's calling my vote for Federal ICAC Now in the Senate a protest vote?

I finally found a single issue I can get behind.

• Options
    Looks like someone is mad that Albanese got Rona and so isn't there to self-sabotage himself every 5 minutes anymore.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Among others, Winston Peters has been trespassed from Parliament for two years.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/466349/peters-says-he-has-been-trespassed-from-parliament-for-two-years

There's a lot of pearl clutching going on. Given her choose to get interact with the chucklefucks who literally wanted to murder standing members of Parliament... I'm viewing this very much as fucked around and found out

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I'm a bit doubtful of that news. Mainly because "Winston Peters says..." is plenty of reason to doubt it.

If he really was trespassed for turning up for a few minutes at the protest it seems like it will only give him attention.

• Options
    But it is a bit of a bright spot on an otherwise horrible day.

• Options
    I'm a bit doubtful of that news. Mainly because "Winston Peters says..." is plenty of reason to doubt it.

If he really was trespassed for turning up for a few minutes at the protest it seems like it will only give him attention.

Yes he was. They are currently debating if it should stand atm. Mallard giving no fucks here.

• Options
    If he is getting trespassed for meeting with the protestors, then oughtn't David Seymour be trespassed too?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    If he is getting trespassed for meeting with the protestors, then oughtn't David Seymour be trespassed too?

As a sitting politician, he actually had a valid reason to be on parliament grounds and the trespass order against the occupation didn't extend to him.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.