Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Seinfield is a tough sell for me because I just get too annoyed at how every "situation" hinges on somebody not explaining some minor thing until it blows up into a huge thing. Most episodes could be resolved in thirty seconds of civil adult conversation instead of insane posturing and lies.

And yes, I get that that's part of the joke, but it doesn't change that so much of the show is the one joke with a variety of wrappers.

That's like, half of drama in the last 30 years.
    Since when is Seinfeld a drama

Although I suppose that would explain why it’s almost never funny

Instead of a sitcom they made a sitdram

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Seinfield is a tough sell for me because I just get too annoyed at how every "situation" hinges on somebody not explaining some minor thing until it blows up into a huge thing. Most episodes could be resolved in thirty seconds of civil adult conversation instead of insane posturing and lies.

And yes, I get that that's part of the joke, but it doesn't change that so much of the show is the one joke with a variety of wrappers.

This is why they're all always yelling.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

whaaaaa? Seinfeld had some great moments, the piano recital, the whole Puddy arc, everytime Art Vandelay shows up, shrinkage, the wig, Stellaaaaaa!!, if you replaced Jerry with an actor, it would have been perfect.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Man, how do folks watch Succession? We're almost through Season 1 and it's pretty much what I thought. I can see how it might be funny, but it's a bit trigger-y with ultra rich people that makes it really hard to watch.
    The board vote thing was cringy as well. So the CEO just says he won't leave and folks just move forward? You can't leave the room or postpone? I guess who knows if that can happen in real corporate settings or if it's illegal.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Man, how do folks watch Succession? We're almost through Season 1 and it's pretty much what I thought. I can see how it might be funny, but it hits a bit too close to home with ultra rich people that makes it really hard to watch.
    The board vote thing was cringy as well. So the CEO just says he won't leave and folks just move forward? You can't leave the room or postpone? I guess who knows if that can happen in real corporate settings or if it's illegal.

I'm not really sure why I keep watching it. I don't like anyone and not much really happens.
    Also, not being ultra-wealthy or a C-suite executive myself, I have no idea if it's an accurate portrayal of their lives but it really seems like none of them do much of anything. They tell people vague instructions that are always already underway when they say them and they tell people they want things and either it just happens or they become incensed when they don't get what they want without really doing anything to make it happen. Beyond that it's just the occasional yes/no decision whether to give someone a bunch of money.

Everybody wants to be CEO for the power but Logan mostly just sits around being angry, not wielding power.

Unrelated:
    We started Tiger King 2 last night. Tiger King in the wake of Tiger King is...pretty weird.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Man, how do folks watch Succession? We're almost through Season 1 and it's pretty much what I thought. I can see how it might be funny, but it hits a bit too close to home with ultra rich people that makes it really hard to watch.

I tried it recently and couldn't get into it. I believe the hype is more skilled marketing and PR than functional critical praise. Having said that, Brian Cox can read a McDonald's menu and come off compelling.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I tried it recently and couldn't get into it. I believe the hype is more skilled marketing and PR than functional critical praise. Having said that, Brian Cox can read a McDonald's menu and come off compelling.

He's even better pronouncing scotches:

https://youtu.be/5HgTPs2_ut8

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I tried back in S1, and just fucking hated it.

I do think it's a very watched show, but for the same reason that people watch a lot of shows I hate. It feels like a corporate "Real Housewives", and is watched for similar reasons. People getting to see the rich and powerful tear each other to pieces. Almost every one of these people has enough money to do whatever they wanted. And what they apparently want to do is be miserable sacks of shit and make everyone else around them miserable too.

And people tend to love the gritty unrelenting shit. Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc. Even if there's occasional comeuppance, there's little actual justice. And I see enough of that shit in real life. I watch TV to escape, not to be reminded of how constantly-ground-under-bootheel shit reality is.

And I fucking love Brian Cox. He's the only reason I watched through the first couple episodes.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Succession is brilliantly acted and very well written IF you live in the corporate sphere.
    If you've never been directly aligned to executives nor encountered rich kid shenanigans in person, you're probably going to miss a significant portion of the subtle lines in the show. It is absolutely not a show for everyone.
    There's exactly one semi-decent person in the main cast - Greg.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Succession is brilliantly acted and very well written IF you live in the corporate sphere.
    If you've never been directly aligned to executives nor encountered rich kid shenanigans in person, you're probably going to miss a significant portion of the subtle lines in the show. It is absolutely not a show for everyone.
    There's exactly one semi-decent person in the main cast - Greg.

I haven't watched much (just the first couple eps before noping out), but I felt it was fairly obvious that Greg was either going to lose out, or was going to be corrupted into exactly the same kind of asshole everyone else is.

Just didn't think there was any chance he'd keep his decency and succeed.

• Options
    Just started watching Marvel's Hit-Monkey on Hulu.

I did not know what to expect. And it's basically been exactly that. Unexpected.

Basic premise is a hitman becomes a mentor for a Japanese snow monkey in a tale of revenge.

Some really weird casting, Jason Sudekis as the hitman (it's hard not to hear Lasso), with Olivia Munn and George Takai having large roles.

Warning, this is NOT a kid's cartoon.
    Someone gets bisected vertically by a band saw in the second episode.

Only watched the two eps so far, but plan on finishing it out over the next couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb72HBB1QbA

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/5HgTPs2_ut8

Isn't that the same Whisky Nick Offerman likes? Is it a real one or just some hollywood joke?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    For anyone else who may be interested, Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, and Glenn Howerton have just dropped the first three episodes of a new podcast where they spend about 30 minutes at a time discussing each episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

0g7nc3uo6ozs.png

Apparently they all met each other for the first time at auditions for the movie Tuck Everlasting.

EDIT: I just learned that Glenn Howerton has a 19-year-old cat.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Isn't that the same Whisky Nick Offerman likes? Is it a real one or just some hollywood joke?

It's real and is one of my favorites as well. It's an Islay, so quite peaty, but a depth of flavor you can't find anywhere else outside of Laphroig and some bottlings of Talisker.

Sadly, with the single malt boom the last 10-12 years the price for the standard 16 year old Lagavulin has gone up over 60% in my area and I can't find it south of $120 anymore when I used to be able to find if for under $70.

It's my special occasion and/or "FUCK WINTER!" dram of choice.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lagavulin is real and fantastic. Bottles last at most 2 weeks in our house (my wife is also a scotch drinker)

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

It's real and is one of my favorites as well. It's an Islay, so quite peaty, but a depth of flavor you can't find anywhere else outside of Laphroig and some bottlings of Talisker.

Sadly, with the single malt boom the last 10-12 years the price for the standard 16 year old Lagavulin has gone up over 60% in my area and I can't find it south of $120 anymore when I used to be able to find if for under $70.

2a6yd2spgrxq.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

2a6yd2spgrxq.jpg

Buy a bottle of scotch, try to remember what it was called and what it tasted like. Repeat until you die/runout of money/find your go to.

Alternatively, places like flaviar have tasting flights.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »

2a6yd2spgrxq.jpg

Buy a bottle of scotch, try to remember what it was called and what it tasted like. Repeat until you die/runout of money/find your go to.

Addendum: unless you have some major nephritic or liver issues the latter two are far more likely to occur first, with an equal chance for either.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    For anyone else who may be interested, Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, and Glenn Howerton have just dropped the first three episodes of a new podcast where they spend about 30 minutes at a time discussing each episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

0g7nc3uo6ozs.png

Apparently they all met each other for the first time at auditions for the movie Tuck Everlasting.

I love me "directors commentary" and this sort of style of it so this is super awesome.

edit: Oh its like #6 top podcasts in my app, didnt even have to search :rotate:

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

0g7nc3uo6ozs.png

a link for all other people that just realized that there are already a ton of Always Sunny podcasts out there and are having problems finding this one:
    https://the-always-sunny-podcast.simplecast.com/episodes

• Options
    edited November 2021
    wmt3aagiqtfc.jpg

https://youtu.be/5-etz3UKnxo

If anyone ever wanted to play as Arya Stark from Game of Thrones in a Smash Bros clone where you can play as Tom & Jerry, Shaggy, Batman, Finn from Adventure Time, etc, well here you go.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    But I don’t want that.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Well too bad.

Cartoon Arya Stark is making me wonder if there's a Game of Thrones animated spin-off in the works or something.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    We're now watching Brand New Cherry Flavour and it is fucking great.

Rosa Salazar is fucking amazing in this and she should absolutely win some kind of award for her performance. Especially considering she's out-delivering even Katherine Keener - who is also amazing in this.

It's such a delightful mix of weird, funny, and terrifying character drama. The end of the fourth episode was fucking WILD and Cronenbergian in a way that had us yelling at the television.

Go watch this show!

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Very much like real clones, game clones dont have soul.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So it's like Shaq Fu meets Spacejam

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Finished Maid on netflix.

Was good, do recommend.

Maid was a really good show, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

About five years ago my family was in a real bad place economically and for a year had to make decisions along the lines of food vs. rent, so Maid was particularly stress-inducing to me.

Still a good show.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The main character in Maid looks like the spitting image of a lady i used to know that was killed by an abusive boyfriend in a murder suicide stone 15 or so years ago. I couldn't watch it long.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, I see in my feeds that Foundation wrapped for the season.

There was a modest amount of talk after the first episode or so, but then it's been silence since.

Without going into plot details, as it any good? Did the end of the season match the quality of the start? Am I gonna be pissed if I watch it all the way through?

Is there a good barometer position? How long do I have to stick it out before I know if it's for me?

I've got Arcane, Wheel of Time, and HitMonkey queued up to watch first this weekend, but then there's a couple shows I'm interested in, and should I put Foundation as next in the list, or do I hold off, maybe wait until S2 is about to air?

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I haven't heard anything good about Foundation.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've been thoroughly enjoying foundation. It's high brow super serious sci-fi bullshit in the best way. I hope it gets another season.

Also it's gorgeous.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    RE: Foundation -

The show is pretty good sci-fi which I expect given the source material being one of the foundational (heh, heh) pieces of golden age sci-fi.

Sadly, I haven't actually read them, so I can't provide a perspective for faithful recreation vs. TV Series adaptation.

All in all, I had fun, but then again, I have fun with a lot of this stuff as long as production values are decent enough.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I've been thoroughly enjoying foundation. It's high brow super serious sci-fi bullshit in the best way. I hope it gets another season.

Also it's gorgeous.
    I absolutely love Lee Pace, and he's excellent in this.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Also it's gorgeous.
    I absolutely love Lee Pace, and he's excellent in this.

For some reason the only thing I could think of during a scene in Ep1:

Foundation S1E1 maybe spoodlers?
    When they had Hari in the trial room, and Empire seemed like they were in the same room - the thought came to mind, "A sense8, accuser, and belter walk into a court room..."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Foundation was renewed before it started airing, but I thought it was SO BORING.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    So, I see in my feeds that Foundation wrapped for the season.

There was a modest amount of talk after the first episode or so, but then it's been silence since.

Without going into plot details, as it any good? Did the end of the season match the quality of the start? Am I gonna be pissed if I watch it all the way through?

Is there a good barometer position? How long do I have to stick it out before I know if it's for me?

I've got Arcane, Wheel of Time, and HitMonkey queued up to watch first this weekend, but then there's a couple shows I'm interested in, and should I put Foundation as next in the list, or do I hold off, maybe wait until S2 is about to air?

I only watched the first episode but it seemed like Foundation had it's own head impressively up it's own ass in that one episode.
    I may go back to it some day but I could not stomach how fucking seriously it was taking itself.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Finished Maid on netflix.

Was good, do recommend.

Maid was a really good show, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

About five years ago my family was in a real bad place economically and for a year had to make decisions along the lines of food vs. rent, so Maid was particularly stress-inducing to me.

Still a good show.

Oh absolutely. Like I said earlier in the thread it's a show that switches between uplifting/harrowing/uplifting/harrowing/etc and having finished the show it never really let up on either all the way through.

And it's all extremely well done which could definitely be hard for people.

So yeah anyone who is interested be aware that it deals with domestic violence, alcoholism, parental abuse, family law, extreme poverty, and frankly probably some other things that I'm blanking on because there's a lot of potentially upsetting stuff in the show.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How is League of Legends so bad but Arcane so good?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

People.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

the game was built on a rotten core to begin with. Riot is apparently shifting focus to branding and curating the League IP. The MOBA was just the testbed. Once they have their IP solidified, I expect to see original flavor LoL de-emphasized outside of the e-sports sphere, with audiences re-directed to their new games and shows going forward.

In 5 years I expect to see ads like "experience the game that started it all! (but you don't really have to play, sign up to Runeterra+ instead!)"

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
This discussion has been closed.