Options

[Streaming Services]: Thread not available, price also increased

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The most insane thing I remember of sitcom fashion is the sheer volume of Niles Crane's suits. They looked at least twice too large.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I must be the english whisperer, because like 99% of the time I can understand what someone speaking a different dialect is saying.

Which one of these are you or all of them?
    https://youtu.be/Cun-LZvOTdw

Yes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Julia Louis Dreyfus is a doll but late 80's/early 90s fashion sucked ass and you could easily do a She's All That style transformation using footage from the first three and last three seasons

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Seinfield is a tough sell for me because I just get too annoyed at how every "situation" hinges on somebody not explaining some minor thing until it blows up into a huge thing. Most episodes could be resolved in thirty seconds of civil adult conversation instead of insane posturing and lies.

And yes, I get that that's part of the joke, but it doesn't change that so much of the show is the one joke with a variety of wrappers.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Ugh, I skip the Seinfeld penultimate episode because it's a blatant clip show and the Seinfeld finale is a fucking thinly veiled clip show? Tragic to fuck this up but oh well.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seinfield is a tough sell for me because I just get too annoyed at how every "situation" hinges on somebody not explaining some minor thing until it blows up into a huge thing. Most episodes could be resolved in thirty seconds of civil adult conversation instead of insane posturing and lies.

And yes, I get that that's part of the joke, but it doesn't change that so much of the show is the one joke with a variety of wrappers.

That's like, half of drama in the last 30 years.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I've also been binging Seinfeld, never seen it before, I can see why it's so iconic though, I really like it, basically a toned down Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

XD

It predates Sunny, Sunny is a toned UP Seinfeld. Literally.

The only problem with Seinfeld is it has one of the most reviled finales ever so these great characters end pretty flat.

It is I! Possibly the only person who liked the Seinfeld finale!

I thought it was good too. It represented a level of self-awareness of "hey numbskulls, you aren't supposed to be like these selfish a-holes"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Seinfeld is still the best series, the desert island one show pick. Sorry Simpsons 2-8 but you keep shambling on and it makes you look horrible and rotten and decrepit and I don't want to share an island with you. King of the Hill, you have a shot, I tell you what.

It's kind of sad that I think Seinfeld's last episode isn't that bad, because final episodes have shit the bed so badly since then it's just fairly average these days.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

That's like, half of drama in the last 30 years.

When hasn't that been like half of drama honestly?

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Seinfeld:

I've seen people mention that Always Sunny is the modern, even more "wrong" Seinfeld but last night I saw the opposite: A joke in Seinfeld that probably wouldn't have been done today.

It's in season 3 in one of the end of episode Jerry standup. He's basically making fun of suicidal people. Saying they're even more of a loser for failing another thing in their lives (their suicide). Not understanding why people would stop after 1 failed attempt because their lives isn't any better, that they should try a different suicide method.

It actually caught me by surprise. So much darker than the rest of the show so far.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    aquote="Lanlaorn;c-44202439"]Ugh, I skip the Seinfeld penultimate episode because it's a blatant clip show and the Seinfeld finale is a fucking thinly veiled clip show? Tragic to fuck this up but oh well.[/quote]

I was rewatching simpsons and its weird remembering there was an era where shows would negotiate for how many clip shows they were allowed per season to pad the episode numbers for sindication. I don't think I've seen a show directly do this in years beyond to make fun of the concept with new footage.

I always thought It's always sunny was more of a live action Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Just popping in to echo what other folks have already said:

Arcane is real good you guys. I'll repeat the pitch I gave the guys on Discord:

The setting is later industrial era punk style, with actually good acting and animation
    Main characters are two sisters struggling in a class-divided late-industrial fantasy world. No previous knowledge of League of Legends required. In fact, going in without LoL knowledge might actually work in your favor, as the story is set pre-LoL, so you won't be spoiled by having advanced knowledge of where these characters wind up later.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Babylon 5: Hunter, Prey
    Sheriden takes a look at Kosh's ship. It's weird!

That's when Garibaldi shows up. Turns out Dr Jacobs, the President's personal physician, is on the run after "stealing state secrets", and picked B5 to run to. Earth has ordered them to capture him, dead or alive. (Surprisingly, nobody makes the obvious connection that this might not be an order they want to obey wholeheartedly until later.) Dr Franklin knew him, and is dubious about the whole thing.

After a team of security personel arrive on the station, Sheriden is taken aside by someone in the Resistance to explain what's actually going on. Turns out this his physician has evidence that President Clark wasn't actually conveniently sick when he conveniently left Earth Force One just before it conveniently exploded. And apparently his best plan to cover up that fact is murder. (Alternate plan that he didn't try: "Well, I felt I was sick".)

Anyway, Dr Jacobs is hiding out Downbelow. Things are going great, in a "haven't gotten caught yet" kind of way, when a couple criminals kidnap him. Thankfully, they pawn his stopwatch, and Dr Franklin notices it. Garibaldi scares the buyer into giving up the seller, and a couple quick fights later they have both Dr Jacobs and his data. Kosh agrees to hide him in his ship, which isn't scannable. One scan later, the security forces leave, and Dr Jacobs gets away safely.

Thoughts:
    This is a really well-done episode. I don't have much to say about it, but I liked it.

I should spend more attention on Kosh's dialog. I suspect it makes more sense than is obvious.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Good news party people, Party Down is coming back for another 6 episodes. Bad news, Lizzy Caplan isnt going to be in it so that'll be interesting.

I just rewatched it for the first time since it originally aired and its still super good.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Good news party people, Party Down is coming back for another 6 episodes. Bad news, Lizzy Caplan isnt going to be in it so that'll be interesting.

I just rewatched it for the first time since it originally aired and its still super good.
    Party Down is the TV show that was so good that all of its cast members got jobs on bigger shows and so Party Down died.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and had a great time with it. My only downside is that I've watched all of Kim's Convenience and couldn't stop thinking to myself that Jung is Korean, not Chinese and works at a car rental place, not as a valet!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Just keeps getting typecast as a guy who parks other people's cars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sepinwall thoughts about adaptations for which he has not interacted with the source material:

Not a fan of Wheel of Time
    Liked Cowboy Bebop (others who watched the original, less so)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sad to hear they gutted Wheel of Time. Not surprising, but I lived in hope.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I finished up two shows recently. Final Space S1-3 and For All Mankind S1-2.

First up, Final Space, What. The. Crap. That's how you're gonna do me? Build up to a monumental moment, and then oops, we're cancelled because of a merger? FUCK. THAT.

I initially thought it was a Futurama rip, a not-dissimilar animation style, a loser out of place makes friends under weird circumstances and finds his place in the universe. But it turned out to be much more than that, well written, and given I'd never heard of the main actor/writer/showrunner, managed to get some stellar casting. Claudia Black, Ron Perlman, Fred Armisen, Stephen Yuen, Ron Funches (HQAS King Shark!), Jane Lynch, Conan O'Brien, Tom Kenny (Spongebob!), Keith David, Christopher Judge, Alan Tudyk and David Freaking Tennant. It was a nerd's rogue gallery of main and secondary characters. Really sad to see it go.

For All Mankind. I'm really digging this show. I saw the first season on release, but held off on the second season until it was complete, and saw that it'd been renewed for S3.

Basic premise is alternate Earth timeline if the US had lost the race to the moon, and what that'd do, due to America's competitive spirit. Very well written, with a decent budget, and some solid casting (Joel Kinnaman, Sonya Walger) and a lot of others who I wasn't familiar with, but really showed their strengths (Jodi Balfour and Wrenn Schmidt just to name two). Tackles a lot of things that we did, but with a different spin as a lot of events are the same (most Presidencies happen, but not necessarily at the same time, John Lennon isn't killed, Panama is a flashpoint). The other thing that's interesting is the timeskips. First season takes place in the aftermath of the first moon landing, second season skips ahead ten years, and the last scene of S2 puts S3 in 1995.

Not normally a fan of period pieces, because I think I'd rather watch a documentary rather than a stylized biography. But the significant differences between our reality and this one, even with the other similarities, makes it an intriguing watch.

Trigger warning, if you're a hater of "woke" culture, this is going to affect you bad. It's got plenty of strong women doing "men's work", and often talk about things other than what their men are doing (Bechdel ain't got nothing on this).

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

What?

• Options
    Nearly done watching Maid on netflix and god damn this is a harrowing blend of terrible and uplifting and terrible and

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    For UK folks who like old movies: Talking Pictures TV is apparently launching an online catch-up service in December. They show a metric ton of cool old movies that used to be on Channel 4 or BBC2 at half past midnight but now are entirely absent, so if you fancy watching obscure Hammer horror movies and the like it's probably worth a look-in.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

For All Mankind. I'm really digging this show. I saw the first season on release, but held off on the second season until it was complete, and saw that it'd been renewed for S3.

Basic premise is alternate Earth timeline if the US had lost the race to the moon, and what that'd do, due to America's competitive spirit. Very well written, with a decent budget, and some solid casting (Joel Kinnaman, Sonya Walger) and a lot of others who I wasn't familiar with, but really showed their strengths (Jodi Balfour and Wrenn Schmidt just to name two). Tackles a lot of things that we did, but with a different spin as a lot of events are the same (most Presidencies happen, but not necessarily at the same time, John Lennon isn't killed, Panama is a flashpoint). The other thing that's interesting is the timeskips. First season takes place in the aftermath of the first moon landing, second season skips ahead ten years, and the last scene of S2 puts S3 in 1995.

Not normally a fan of period pieces, because I think I'd rather watch a documentary rather than a stylized biography. But the significant differences between our reality and this one, even with the other similarities, makes it an intriguing watch.

Trigger warning, if you're a hater of "woke" culture, this is going to affect you bad. It's got plenty of strong women doing "men's work", and often talk about things other than what their men are doing (Bechdel ain't got nothing on this).

Loved For all Mankind, especially how they extrapolated forward from the things they changed. Acting, writing and casting is solid all around. Can't wait for season 3 and
    humanity being on Mars by the mid-90s

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Loved For all Mankind, especially how they extrapolated forward from the things they changed. Acting, writing and casting is solid all around. Can't wait for season 3 and
    humanity being on Mars by the mid-90s
    Yeah, that's the part I found fun. Ted Kennedy becoming President and hounded by the press about a sex scandal, John Lennon continuing to be an activist for peace, Reagan becoming President earlier, various escalations and the like.

Also, the idea that I alluded to in the first part, that because the Americans won the race to the moon, and the Soviets abandoned it, that the American drive in our reality got stunted. Technology across several fronts, from nuclear shuttle engines and Sea Dragons (sea launched rockets, fucking cool), to zero-generation smartphones and electric vehicles appearing in the 80's, was a really interesting take.

There was a push that Season 3 might be out this year, but it's looking like Q2 next year. Am wondering if they plan to extend past that, or if S3 is going to wrap things up. They can still fit in two more decade time hops, three if they literally go modern day, (S6 would be in 2025 at the earliest). Of course, the issue there would be that few if any of the cast would still be factors.

I just am concerned that this could be another BSG (same guy is showrunner), with some really cool early stuff, and then struggling with ideas only to have it clear there was never an end point envisioned.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I must be the english whisperer, because like 99% of the time I can understand what someone speaking a different dialect is saying.

Robert Llewellyn (of Red Dwarf fame) says that the accent thing in thge US makes no sense. In his words, if you can understand southern Texan drawl, you can understand anything.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    Mc zany wrote: »

Robert Llewellyn (of Red Dwarf fame) says that the accent thing in thge US makes no sense. In his words, if you can understand southern Texan drawl, you can understand anything.

Says the guy with the Welsh surname.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

What?

Most of the positive reviews of it I've seen have been from reviewers who've read the books (or at least are familiar with them even if they haven't) or who like fantasy. Most of them also say the first season goes through events pretty fast. But they also say they're looking forward to more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Continuing Seinfeld.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably have a crush on someone like Elaine in real life.

If you two went on a date, you could go dancing.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I've watched the first two episodes of Arcane and I don't know if it's just not that good or if my withered soul is just incapable of enjoying anything anymore.

The art is cool, though.

RT800 on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've watched the first two episodes of Arcane and I don't know if it's just not that good or if my withered soul is just incapable of enjoying anything anymore.

The art is cool, though.

That was my feeling as well. After seeing so many people gushing about how great it is I was expecting to be blown away but aside from the art and animation being really good for a 3d animated cartoon, it just seemed okay. Like there's nothing specifically bad about it in the first 3 episodes but I don't find myself itching to watch more and I can't recall anything from those 3 episodes that stood out for me to say, "Oh, X was really cool" or different from other stuff I've watched.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular

The art is cool, though.

If you are up for it, give it one more episode. If the ending of episode three doesn't sell you on it then I'd say your soul is withered beyond redemption :P .

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'll throw my lot in for the "Arcane is fucking awesome" side of things.
    It's got nuanced characters from diverse backgrounds as the focus of the show. The setting is just perfect for the kind of narrative they're weaving and is rife for future fleshing out.

And the animation is absolutely fucking gorgeous. I've not seen anything like it. It has the artistic aesthetic of a lot of Dishonered (seriously, treat yourself by going out and buying both Dishonered art books) with just some of the most fluid animation I've ever seen that wasn't rotoscoped.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

The art is cool, though.

I'm not sure how to feel about the story either, it seems fine, I feel like we get this story all the time and now its being stretched/condensed just for this limited format instead of being a real season of a show, or shortened to a movie. The animation stays amazing though!

I wasnt big on the story in the first 2 episodes, the third drew me in enough as well as concluded its arc. The next three episodes did more with the story imo and had me going "Where's the next 3?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    What I appreciate the most about Arcane is how confidently they create this whole world. It's got a very classic star wars vibe, not in the setting itself but in the excitement of like holy shit look at all this weird stuff that we're constantly just walking past save for a quick glimpse, it makes you just wanna explore that world more. It feels dumb to say about a series based on a video game that's been running for a decade+, but it feels fresh and daring and more interested in telling its story than in creating future ~*IP*~

There's plenty of bits of writing and stuff that I could quibble with, buuuut... I'm just having fun with it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Letterkenny Season 10 hits Crave in Canada on Christmas Day, and will be available on Hulu in the US on December 26th.

It will give me a great distraction after spending too much time with family and that's what I appreciates about them.

• Options
    Is that what you appreciates about them Ketar?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

The art is cool, though.

If you are up for it, give it one more episode. If the ending of episode three doesn't sell you on it then I'd say your soul is withered beyond redemption :P .

The end of episode three
    Where Powder manages to just royally mess things up and kill off two characters I assumed would be part of your traditional series-long team, and then the dad figure died as well as a side effect, that's when I realized it was telling a pretty complex story.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Letterkenny Season 10 hits Crave in Canada on Christmas Day, and will be available on Hulu in the US on December 26th.

It will give me a great distraction after spending too much time with family and that's what I appreciates about them.
    Is that what you appreciates about them Ketar?

Yeah Ketar, you're going to want to take 25, 30 percent off there, buddy.

• Options
    Finished Maid on netflix.

Was good, do recommend.

This discussion has been closed.