As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No, It's the Artisanal Cheese Villains Who Are Wrong in the [BAD FOOD] Thread

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Well that description of a Rotiboy has four out of my favorite food words in it, guess I'll go look up a recipe.

Bread
    Coffee
    Butter
    The

Close, the fourth one was crunchy!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    In America you’d often just get a sandwich and a pickle on the side. It was weird.

maybe it's on the side like palate cleanser? You have a bite after bite of sandwich to cut through the richness of the beef?

I'm used to it being in the sandwich.

The pickle on the side is a pickled cucumber, not a gherkin. Or at least I don't recall eating at any restaurant that served actual gherkins on the side. Same for on the sandwich/burger, you'd be much more likely to find some flavor of pickled cucumber inside your sandwich than gherkins. But yes, the acidity of the vinegar in the pickle is a palate cleanser to better taste the flavors of the meat in the sandwich.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I thought we called corned beef corned beef

Salt beef uk=Corned beef US.

I don't think they have UK corned beef over in the US but happy to be corrected.

Given that UK corned beef is minced, gelatinized, and stuffed in a can like a beef version of Spam, I'm almost glad it's difficult to find here.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    A gherkin is just a type of pickled cucumber though, usually small. Edit: I suppose its one of those things where all gherkins are pickles, but not all pickles are gherkins.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Red wine in spag bol is always a winner.

I was today years old when I realized "spag bol" meant "spaghetti Bolognese".

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Blake T wrote: »
    In America you’d often just get a sandwich and a pickle on the side. It was weird.

maybe it's on the side like palate cleanser? You have a bite after bite of sandwich to cut through the richness of the beef?

I'm used to it being in the sandwich.

The pickle on the side is a pickled cucumber, not a gherkin. Or at least I don't recall eating at any restaurant that served actual gherkins on the side. Same for on the sandwich/burger, you'd be much more likely to find some flavor of pickled cucumber inside your sandwich than gherkins. But yes, the acidity of the vinegar in the pickle is a palate cleanser to better taste the flavors of the meat in the sandwich.

gherkins are pickled cucumbers though

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    All gherkins are pickled cucumbers. Not all pickled cucumbers are gherkins. It's not rocket surgery!

• Options
    Since we're on naming confusions of international foods, there's also West Indian gherkins and Mexican sour gherkins which are closely related but different species from the cucumber and don't have to be pickled to be called that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I thought a gherkin was a Nepalese soldier enlisted in the British Army

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

No that's a gurka. They're talking about leather sleeveless jackets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The problem is English decided that pickling as a process was too nuanced so all pickles are pickles and everything else that's pickled has to share.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Here in the US gerkhin is usually a small sweet cucumber pickle. A dill pickle or bread and butter pickle wouldn’t be called a gherkin usually, they’re different varieties.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dill pickles are the only kind that I'll eat. No sweet, no bread and butter, get those out of my food.

• Options
    Give me all of the pickles, and pickled vegetables.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

No that's a gurka. They're talking about leather sleeveless jackets.

That's a jerkin. You're thinking of the activity I do with my partner in the evenings.

• Options
    The best vegetable to pickle is baby corn. I can eat an actually dangerous amount of that shit.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The best vegetable to pickle is baby corn. I can eat an actually dangerous amount of that shit.

I'm a fan of spicy asparagus myself.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I don't think they have UK corned beef over in the US but happy to be corrected.

Given that UK corned beef is minced, gelatinized, and stuffed in a can like a beef version of Spam, I'm almost glad it's difficult to find here.

Yeah you're not missing much tbh.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I don't mind pickled asparagus, but it's not that far off on my personal enjoyment factor from just regular-ass cooked asparagus. Do you pickle your own, or buy a brand?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Spicy Pickled Okra!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Pickled cabbage is the king

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I don't mind pickled asparagus, but it's not that far off on my personal enjoyment factor from just regular-ass cooked asparagus. Do you pickle your own, or buy a brand?

Our friends who do a mountain of canning gave us a jar of it. They also do an apple pie in a jar that amazing. We let them harvest our fruit trees and in exchange get a case of stuff.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Oh we have that too, generally in a can with chopped up potato as corned beef hash. Heat it or fry a patty for breakfast.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    American Food Tour!! SPAGHETTI MEATBALLS + Best Seafood in Atlantic City! Anthony Bourdain Tour (34 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2IlVuyr5s

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    God, at first glance I thought that was a spaghetti and meatball pizza, and this wretched thread has ruined me to the point where I thought "Yeah, I'd try that."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Spaghetti and pizza balls

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really don't understand people who make food videos who think the best thumbnail for it is an extreme closeup of them stuffing their mouths.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I assume it must be some sort of common wisdom about people clicking more on videos with thumbnails with faces in them, but I wonder if that holds true for a face that is having food shoved in its maw.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It usually makes me think of a certain Goya painting.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Personally the one food I have least interest in right now is spaghetti, on account of my most recent experience being seeing it hanging out of some rando's gob like he's vomiting up a plateful.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Lies

One of my pregan comfort food meals would be a thick slab of corned beef floating in baked beans

Or heck, just a corned beef sandwich with mustard

You have to scrape off the white gunk, though

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed the pickle Vs gherkin discussion.

We call them all gherkins in the uk

• Options

Lies

One of my pregan comfort food meals would be a thick slab of corned beef floating in baked beans

I've eaten tinned corned beef plenty of times but the fact is that salt beef is approximately an octillion times better.

• Options
    I really don't understand people who make food videos who think the best thumbnail for it is an extreme closeup of them stuffing their mouths.

LOOK AT HIS MOUTH BROVID

LOOK AT IT

• Options
    Nah I'm just fucking with you, its terrible.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Lies

I've eaten tinned corned beef plenty of times but the fact is that salt beef is approximately an octillion times better.

Corned beef has the edge of being available in the Aldi over the road :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I make a special pilgrimage from deep south London, all the way to Brick Lane in the far east of.....east london to get my beloved salt beef.

If you're ever in London, go to Brick lane. Get a curry but also a salt beef bagel Beigel Bake Brick Lane Bakery

• Options
    So is salt beef if you look on the chilled shelves. It's just more expensive.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.