As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Is the Cid amnesia plot line tied into that bizarre bit where the WoL time travels to the past and flies up to Cid's airship to hand him his goggles? Because I don't think that bit is ever getting explained.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    By the by, is there a designated FC for PA people that isn't <Ghost>? If not I can join the Sarg discord and scout around for one to join, though I don't remember if there's any special benefits to being part of one before reaching max level for linkshell stuff.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there is not a proper PA FC, no

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ghost is just whatever now anyway I'm pretty sure most members are not forum people. FCs don't really matter in this game, to be honest. linkshells and discords are more useful

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    ghost is just whatever now anyway I'm pretty sure most members are not forum people. FCs don't really matter in this game, to be honest. linkshells and discords are more useful

Yeah I'm having a difficult time finding the latter atm as well. The Aether/Sarg discords I am finding are either long dead or super tiny. Guess I'll wait for max level when I can at least join in the Hunt one.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Yeah I'm having a difficult time finding the latter atm as well. The Aether/Sarg discords I am finding are either long dead or super tiny. Guess I'll wait for max level when I can at least join in the Hunt one.

The hunt trains do Stormblood hunt trains sometimes, so you can join when you get to lv 70.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

They're still worth joining for the FC buffs, at least.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I don't hate that guy, especially because he's making those nice backstory videos, but my god what a horrible thumbnail

Renzo on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Most of his thumbnails have that look to them. Jesse Cox is very much a Clown.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the most surefire evidence that corporate algorithms are pure evil is that youtube fucking loves thumbnails of that style but I have never seen an actual human being express anything about them besides disgust

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    clearly people click 'em....

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Jesse Cox was probably my favorite streamer to watch discover the game. He's a huge mark for the entire FF series, especially 6, so he was just constantly excited to see all the nods and throwbacks.

Like there were multiple points where due to the area or character that was being introduced he assumed that a song from a previous FF was going to play and every time it happened he looked like a kid in a candy store.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    clearly people click 'em....

The thing about the Youtube algorithm is that, by all accounts I've seen from creators, Google biases videos that use techniques that Google believes have been successful in the past. So did people click on them a statistically-significant extent more than "normal" thumbnails? Possibly! But it's hard to say anymore, because the algorithm is now more likely to surface those videos just as a matter of course. It's entirely possible that they wouldn't be nearly as effective as they used to be if not for the intervention of Youtube's algorithm.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Just from what I've seen YT creators comment on the algorithm, it seems to care way more if a video gets a comment. Doesn't even matter what the comment is, could just be gibberish and it still works. One I follow said to literally just post whatever and over their videos showed how many more views the videos were getting. The thumbs up/down thing also does something and again doesn't matter which you pick it still pushes it to more people.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Finished the namazu storyline and got my mikoshi mount!

Wasshoi!

• Options
    only cares about engagement, not positive or negative engagement, that sounds like something a tech company would do yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the most surefire evidence that corporate algorithms are pure evil is that youtube fucking loves thumbnails of that style but I have never seen an actual human being express anything about them besides disgust

zoomers, especially young ones, fucking love clicking on that shit

it's how all the screamlords have their preview images

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    only cares about engagement, not positive or negative engagement, that sounds like something a tech company would do yeah

it's specifically comments, they care about likes vs dislikes but most social networks don't put resources into developing tools for measuring sentiment on qualitative engagement because companies employ people to do it for them anyways

it is bizarre but it does create hilarious scenarios, like when all the god-awful gina carrano stans mass comment on official Star Wars videos and don't realize that when they comment their stupid fuckin quote or whatever they do way more for making sure that video is successful

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I threw together a speculative SMN rotation (or at least game plan), using a somewhat janky roation-maker website. It's not the best (because it's mine), but I had fun figuring things out.

Here it is if you feel like checking it out. The sites don't have the Endwalker icons yet, so I kinda... used Shadowbringers icons as proxies. Summon Bahamut and Firebird Trance are on the GCD now. All the Ruin IIIs during Bahamut Summon are actually the new Astral Impulse attack. The Enkindle attacks from the trio summons are stand-ins for the primal summoning spells (which are on the GCD, and make them execute their enkindle attacks), and Egi Assault is a proxy for the new Gemshine spell. Garuda's Slipstream is a GCD long-cast spell, Titan's Mountain Buster is an OGCD attack you use after each spell, and Titan's Flaming Crush combo is your own gap closer (again, on the GCD).

Probably this will be way easier to make coherent-looking when more resources come out, lol

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

zoomers, especially young ones, fucking love clicking on that shit

it's how all the screamlords have their preview images

Yeah kids both totally fall for that kind of preview image, and things are new to them enough that they don't realize how cliche they are.

It's not youtube's fault that we're old and salty

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    At least it isn't his face as the face of the character.

• Options
    Speaking of rabbits, the most important video dropped on Zepla's channel today.

https://youtu.be/Be54wgp26-U

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I threw together a speculative SMN rotation (or at least game plan), using a somewhat janky roation-maker website. It's not the best (because it's mine), but I had fun figuring things out.

Here it is if you feel like checking it out. The sites don't have the Endwalker icons yet, so I kinda... used Shadowbringers icons as proxies. Summon Bahamut and Firebird Trance are on the GCD now. All the Ruin IIIs during Bahamut Summon are actually the new Astral Impulse attack. The Enkindle attacks from the trio summons are stand-ins for the primal summoning spells (which are on the GCD, and make them execute their enkindle attacks), and Egi Assault is a proxy for the new Gemshine spell. Garuda's Slipstream is a GCD long-cast spell, Titan's Mountain Buster is an OGCD attack you use after each spell, and Titan's Flaming Crush combo is your own gap closer (again, on the GCD).

Probably this will be way easier to make coherent-looking when more resources come out, lol
    To be honest, looking at the new Summoner spells, I'm seeing almost no nuance or potential for optimization whatsoever. You cast a couple of Ruin 3s to stall until raid buffs warm up and then you just kitchen sink everything forever. You have I think exactly enough time to use every charge of everything and aside from your three hardcasts per minute it's all basically interchangeable in usage and potency. You can put a finger each on Gem Brilliance and Astral Flare and just mash them both simultaneously for 40 straight seconds and that's basically your whole rotation outside of trance.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Personally, I feel like a lot of jobs either start there, or get there by the time people really crunch the numbers on them. I feel like the biggest variation some have is in alternate openers based on preference or stats. But one you get into the greater rotation, there’s a clear method of what you have to do, in order. Even black mage, for as many GCD buttons as I have in that job, has a rather strict pattern if I’m not screwing up my timings.

And at the risk of just sounding contrarian, SMN is gonna have a feature that I think represents more of a choice than I usually have with DPS rotations. In that you can use the 3 gem summons in any order, and their particular characteristics will probably demand different orders depending on how a fight’s mechanics go. I don’t really have that much deviation with stuff like MCH; it’s closer to deciding when to Ley Lines or Triplecast with BLM, I find. It might not turn out to amount to much, but I think it’s more interesting than what I got from the DOT management as it was in SHB.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I mean, current SMN optimization is built around the years of legacy systems and unintuitive jank that most people (or at least a loud group of people) fucking hated. Fighting against pet movement checks and sleepy Phoenix to get 8 demi autos is the biggest one, but also stuff like DWT being seperate from Bahamut, tri-d refresh being tied to trance, aetherlow being "disconnected" from the rest of your kit, etc. Outside of general fight mapping stuff and planning around downtime, working around and abusing these parts of the kit were the optimization, and most players didn't really engage with it at all!

So yeah, EW SMN is looking to be a lot more streamlined, and a lot more "pick up and play" friendly. Don't necessarily think that's a bad thing though, and as much as I enjoy current SMN and will definitely miss it when it's gone, ruin 3 filler spam and all, I'm not really ready to cry wolf about optimization quite yet. The ability to shift around primal summons is interesting and, depending on how encounters are built and how much downtime there is, could be really fun to play around. Also really interested in how spellspeed ends up mathing out. SMN is way more GCD heavy now, and it also effects demi summon cds, so I could see the stat actually being pretty decent value. Plus it might help in getting 1 vs 2 primal summon calls in a pot window along with a full bahamut/phoenix.

And of course, exact numbers and things could change. Like I expect them to bump up the potencies on Ifrit's hardcast spells a bit, and I really hope they give Slipstream a standard recast time instead of the extra long one it currently has (right now you don't actually get value out of swiftcasting it beyond just making it an instant, if it had a standard recast time you would gain extra GCDs over the course of a fight if you could pair it with swift every time).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Yeah, right now, I think the thing you want to burn Swiftcast on is Ruby Rite, provided you don’t need that swiftcast for ressing.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I do kind of wish the SMN rework would lead to getting a proper DOT class someday (which even SMN wasn't since 4.0). Even BRD doesn't really feel like its DOTs matter that much anymore, especially with them going up to 45 seconds in EW.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Here's my pitch for a DOT job. Oracle. Based on the job of the same name in FFV, plus a little bit from Green Mage (a la FFTactics A2), and Gaia.

Mage job that wields a club or hammer. Oracles wield a form of time magic, which allows them to alter the flow of time with regard to spells they cast. Instead of casting a spell that damages a target all at once, they draw power from a blast that they will land, which causes the target to be damaged a little bit over time, until the effect finally catches up to them.

An Oracle has a basic damage spell, but much of their damage comes from placing DOTs. I think they could have 3 basic ones: Brimstone, Black Frost, and Judgement. They will do damage over time (fire, ice, and lightning, respectively), but also blast the enemy with extra damage when the timer expires.

The Oracle could cast spells like "forestall doom" to extend the timers on their spells, which causes the final hit to also increase in power, and "accelerate doom" to reduce the timers, while also doing a bit of damage now. They would have a skill that increases the damage dealt by the Oracle's spells within a small window of time; the idea would be to cast it right when the timers are about to expire, so that the final hit deals as much damage as possible. Or it could even be a spell that itself does damage, and then places its own timer, separate from the other dooms. When that timer expires, the enemy gets the vulnerability effect, so you want to mess with your other timers so that they expire within its window.

They could perhaps have spells that have bonus effects based on the number of DOT effects from the Oracle currently active, to encourage placing multiple ones. And maybe if the timer fully expires, it grants a resource that can be expended on Predict; a spell with a huge effect, that places a unique DOT afterwards.

The idea comes from the way Oracle works in FFV; it places Doom timers that launch a magic attack when they expire. Making the timer itself a damaging effect can lend itself to some neat ideas. Gaia furthers the time aspect, and both she and Green Mage lead me to the idea of a mage wielding a heavy mace or hammer.

Enlong on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    every day I have to play old summoner is suffering

• Options
    Thankfully, I'm playing BLM, and all I really have to do now is make a theoretical hotbar to fit the now-actually-useful Blizzard II, Blizzard I, and Fire II, in preparation for when those changes go through.

If I were to remake my SMN hotbar to fit what it's gonna be like later, it would actually be unplayable now.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    One of the benefits of playing this on PS5 is I can make custom game names for Steam to show to friends in chat, usually to joke or troll. As I begin the Far Edge of Fate Part 1, everyone in chat now sees me playing
    The WoL and the Hunt for 1-800 CONTACTS

It is very dumb but I get my kicks where I can.

• Options
    Your brand!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Finished the Eden raids tonight, was really glad I could help out those gay teens

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Is there any functional difference in releasing a game on, say, the 19th of November, and releasing a game on the 23rd of November, but if you preorder it you get the Special Preorder Bonus of getting to play it "early" starting on the 19th of November? I don't understand this concept. Presumably you can "preorder" the game on the 19th or the 20th and start playing immediately, yes?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.