As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Is there any functional difference in releasing a game on, say, the 19th of November, and releasing a game on the 23rd of November, but if you preorder it you get the Special Preorder Bonus of getting to play it "early" starting on the 19th of November? I don't understand this concept. Presumably you can "preorder" the game on the 19th or the 20th and start playing immediately, yes?

There is a very specific reason for an MMO to do this - staggering out server load

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is there any functional difference in releasing a game on, say, the 19th of November, and releasing a game on the 23rd of November, but if you preorder it you get the Special Preorder Bonus of getting to play it "early" starting on the 19th of November? I don't understand this concept. Presumably you can "preorder" the game on the 19th or the 20th and start playing immediately, yes?

Yeah, but if you say "preorder bonus" everyone's brains turn off and they click buy buy buy.

• Options
    it's a classic example of framing something into a reward so people like it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I am curious about the pre-order sales numbers compared to release day/week sales.

I figure basically everybody who's put enough time into this game to reach the end of the 5.55 story has preordered the game already or plans to within the next month.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

There is a very specific reason for an MMO to do this - staggering out server load

Yeah I suppose, but leaving aside the psychological trick to get people to spread out their logins it's functionally the same as launching on the 19th right? I just thought I must be missing something.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021

Yeah I suppose, but leaving aside the psychological trick to get people to spread out their logins it's functionally the same as launching on the 19th right? I just thought I must be missing something.

yes
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I am curious about the pre-order sales numbers compared to release day/week sales.

I figure basically everybody who's put enough time into this game to reach the end of the 5.55 story has preordered the game already or plans to within the next month.

at this point I would consider retroactively pre-ordering previous expansions just for the XP buff items if they offered it

admanb on
  • Options
    it's a digital launch yeah

usually there would be a slight difference as a result of the physical release having a specific date it goes on sale, but endwalker does not have a physical version this time around, on account of the troubles

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I assume physical editions are just a download code in a box anyway these days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I haven’t had a disc drive on my computer in a decade so I’d be pretty screwed if I had to actually install something from physical media

• Options
    I assume physical editions are just a download code in a box anyway these days

oh almost certainly

there's just still a group of people who doesn't pay attention to things like game release dates, walk by a stand at gamestop and go "oh that's out? neat!" and pick it up

but that population of people gets smaller every year

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Honestly I've nearly regressed back to that.

EW is like the only thing I knew the release date for ahead of time this year.

It's kinda nice ngl

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

It's kinda nice ngl

when i found out that the guardians of the galaxy game was coming out like next week my reaction was a genuine, visceral "fuck you no it isn't"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

It's kinda nice ngl

when i found out that the guardians of the galaxy game was coming out like next week my reaction was a genuine, visceral "fuck you no it isn't"

theres a gotg game?

also I was watching a stream today that had a countdown to elden ring release date and it was only 3 months away and I was all ????

• Options
    oh fuck right elden ring

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

It's kinda nice ngl

Fuck you, no it isn’t!

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • Options
    Haunted, indubitably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    medieval marty is basically an archetypal youtuber of the sort that started with a "wow vet tries ffxiv! first impressions!" video that rapidly spiraled into a long form chronicling of his experience (though I suppose he's an outlier from that trend in that world of warcraft wasn't the focus of his previous content at all)

I've posted his stuff before and I think he's been one of the better examples of this kind of thing, partly because he forgoes a full let's play in favor of periodic check-ins where he collects his thoughts

https://youtu.be/EYd42T8m0P8

all of this to say he just beat stormblood

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    procrastination, chachacha!
    cC2g0YF.png

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/35aabc8b293f13a1e273509ccd55dce4a636d832

impending changes to tomestones and scrip, mostly the usual for a new expansion, still worth reading if you started playing during 5.x

notable that they're specifically getting rid of blue scrip tokens and red scrip tokens, and it's unclear if the things those were exchanged for will just be sold for white scrips now or if they're just going away

also apparently getting grade 3 and 4 materia is going to be harder? I never touched the goblin cups or dice so I'm not clear on the ramifications of that change

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/35aabc8b293f13a1e273509ccd55dce4a636d832

impending changes to tomestones and scrip, mostly the usual for a new expansion, still worth reading if you started playing during 5.x

notable that they're specifically getting rid of blue scrip tokens and red scrip tokens, and it's unclear if the things those were exchanged for will just be sold for white scrips now or if they're just going away

also apparently getting grade 3 and 4 materia is going to be harder? I never touched the goblin cups or dice so I'm not clear on the ramifications of that change

Is there even a use for III and IV materia when EW comes out?

I'm glad they're getting rid of the blue scrip route for some specific items, though. Just sell everything through regular yellow/white scrips instead for a while.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Crafting and gathering jobs use a lot of lower level materia when going for 5 slot melds.

If you only need a few points to cap a stat for an item there's no reason to use a higher level materia when lower level ones have a higher chance to meld and are often, though not always, cheaper on the mb.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Is there even a use for III and IV materia when EW comes out?

I'm glad they're getting rid of the blue scrip route for some specific items, though. Just sell everything through regular yellow/white scrips instead for a while.

2.0 relics used 'em.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Blue scrip tokens are going away?! How am I gonna get my Crystal Sand now?!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So if you want to buy the first round of master recipes and folklore books for crafting and gathering, cap yellow and white scrips before EW

• Options
    capping currencies as an expansion ends is always a good idea, but generally not a necessary one unless you're a hardcore player who really wants to hit the ground running

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hearing people talk about scrip colors and melding and HQ it's like a discussion about an entirely different game than the one I'm playing

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I took all of the crafting and gathering jobs to 80 and do not remember Blue Scrips at all. Yellow and White scrips I remember because of getting them as rewards for custom deliveries and from the ShB version of job quests.

I didn't do any leveling in the Firmament. Are Blue Scrips from there?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    nope, those are their own scrips

• Options
    blue and red scrip are old currencies that were replaced

for some reason, rather than have a consistent "old stuff" scrip, like the tomestones do with poetics, they just kind of throw out the previous color scrip each time

so with 6.0 yellow will be dropped, white will become the "less than the cap" scrip, and a new one will be introduced for use at level 90

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Hearing people talk about scrip colors and melding and HQ it's like a discussion about an entirely different game than the one I'm playing

To be fair crafting might as well be its own game with how much there is to it.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    someone did that to me with the ghost costume. just floated around my character in a perfect circle

• Options
    huh I wonder how that works

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Roll the final credits on Heavensward, after several years I have finally advanced to Stormblood! I wrote some reactions and thoughts on the two patches I had left as I played.

Far Edge of Fate Part 1
    The Griffin is totally just baiting us to build up forces isn't he? That's a yes. So I guess he's gonna take the wall and then what? Use the eyes to destroy the wall? Would be a bit mundane but also effective. The Griffin is secretly that dastardly villain, ILBERD! Hang on just a second while I do a quick Google because gandalfmemorymeme.jpg is in full force here. Was he one of the asshole Crystal Braves maybe? Well doesn't much matter because he's dead now and summoned a Primal using the eyes. Oh, so this is how Papalymo is gonna use that artifact. And he's not making it out of this one is he? That's a no, but hey he succeeded where Louisioux failed to contain Bahamut. Very curious what Primal is gonna appear once this seal pops though. And I am rewarded with...clothes! Now instead of looking like a posh Londoner I can look like a magic academy schoolgirl. Yay? I'll be losing the clown suit soon enough either way.

Far Edge of Fate Part 2
    Wait that seal was never meant to be permanent, just to buy time? How the hell did y'all think you could actually fight Bahamut in any way, prep time given or not? The entirety of the three Grand Companies were in Carteneau and they still perished nearly instantly. And whatever is inside is on par with Bahamut? Looks like we need a helping hand. Oh geez it's this guy. And he's got Omega ready to go? Convenient, let's do this. And suddenly giant Japanese samurai with a Scottish accent? Sure why not. This ties into the Doma stuff of Stormblood eventually I'm sure. Alright, one lazy fight later time to wake up Omega. And off the metal beetle goes, attacking the seal to unveil a giant dragon. I'm going to guess this is...Shinryu. Not many big name dragons in FF that we haven't met already. Big epic fighting cutscene and they both blat each other out of the sky. I'm sure that won't come back to bite me later. Oh who am I kidding. And it looks like that dragon was confirmed to be Shinryu so yay I was right. Emotional speech from Yda er Lyse, which would probably hit home better if my last memories of Yda were from before HW actually launched who knows how many years ago. But I think I called her not actually being Yda a while back so taking those props. And cue the credits as I actually seek out some dinner.

Debating whether I want to move on to Stormblood tonight or wait until tomorrow.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Far Edge of Fate Part 2
    Wait that seal was never meant to be permanent, just to buy time? How the hell did y'all think you could actually fight Bahamut in any way, prep time given or not? The entirety of the three Grand Companies were in Carteneau and they still perished nearly instantly.
    Bahamut was a surprise (to everyone, even the audience back then), and Louisioux had no plan for it whatsoever, so was just throwing anything he could at it and hoping it would stick.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Far Edge of Fate Part 2
    Wait that seal was never meant to be permanent, just to buy time? How the hell did y'all think you could actually fight Bahamut in any way, prep time given or not? The entirety of the three Grand Companies were in Carteneau and they still perished nearly instantly.
    Bahamut was a surprise (to everyone, even the audience back then), and Louisioux had no plan for it whatsoever, so was just throwing anything he could at it and hoping it would stick.
    Also, Louisoix was drawing on way more power than Papalymo. He had access to prayer directed by the rest of his crew, plus the aether being unleashed around Carteneau. But he dropped the barrier at the last second, and tried a different tactic, for fear that the magic to contain Bahamut would do as much damage as Bahamut, simply by draining aether from the land to cast the spell. It was a bit different when the plan “only” involved arresting the momentum of a falling moon.

• Options
    So I finally got around to checking out gshade and I think I ruined the base game for myself.

Turns out the game naturally has this green tint that I somehow never noticed, but switching between the preset I'm using and the original makes it incredibly obvious. Like damn I feel blind for not seeing it before.

This discussion has been closed.