As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6 Billion

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    After playing Dark Souls 1 at 150Hz I went to play Bloodborne and holy shit that was so jarring. It was like I was playing in slow motion!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It also depends on the implementation. 30fps In spiderman looks smooth and is the default setting because they curated it for exactly that, so it’s locked to 30. So if you just play that and don’t switch back and forth to 60 it feels smooth and is perfectly playable

Yet assassins creed Valhalla’s quality 30 mode is clearly an afterthought and not the default, and runs pretty poorly, with a lot of stuttering and just not a smooth feeling at all, so the performance 60 mode is the obvious choice

It comes down to how the modes are done. Also how much your tv benefits from 4K, ie it’s size and quality.

I do however think first person really has to be at 60 now, also largely with over the shoulder stuff like gears of war

in third person action games like Arkham your eyes are essentially looking at the character at the center of the screen the majority of the time so you don’t really notice the frame rate as much as in first person where you’re looking around a lot and there’s less the developer can do to make it feel smoother. But again I could be proven wrong with the right implementation

Prohass on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think 30 FPS solid is worse than 60 FPS solid, but anything that is not a solid amount of FPS is really hard on the eyes these days.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    For me, I can accept a game for its frame rate so long as I don't see the same game at something higher/smoother. Like, if I play one third person game at a smooth 60 and a second that's a smooth 30, it doesn't bug me. Obviously frame drops are going to be noticeable regardless. But for Spider-Man for example, I started Miles Morales at the fancy 30 FPS setting and then switched to the less fancy 60 FPS (since they hadn't patched the better 60 in yet), I couldn't go back to the 30 even though it was perfectly fine before that. Maybe if I had some time between the playtrhoughs, it wouldn't have been noticeable even. So I wouldn't say I'm a huge stickler on it just yet.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not one for fancy graphics myself so I would love just having performance mode to continue to be a thing and 30 for all the bells and whistles.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely glad the options are becoming standard.

I think it will probably stay that way.

But I don't think we are going to be seeing just straight up standard 4K/60. Devs will want to keep pushing the fidelity and 30FPS allows that to happen. And most people don't really notice or care or even know what 30 v 60 fps is anyway.

Just due to the nature of the beast you can always squeeze more out of half the frames no matter how powerful your hardware is. So as long as people are accepting of it 30FPS is going to stick around.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I like the availability of options. They should keep going with it since not everyone has a 4k TV yet or wants to make the jump. Allowing for both 30/4k and 60/1080p is great.

• Options
    Yeah that was always my favorite part of PC gaming was the ability to turn off the shadows or lower the textures in favor of getting better frames. It finding its way to consoles is a welcome change.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The Insomniac route of 1080/60 with fancy effects like ray tracing feels like the best compromise setting.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The Insomniac route of 1080/60 with fancy effects like ray tracing feels like the best compromise setting.

Yeah I want them to share that tech as much as possible. Feels like a great compromise.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/12/01/playstation-plus-games-for-december-godfall-challenger-edition-lego-dc-super-villains-mortal-shell/

PS+ drops December 7th, games are Lego DC Supervillains, Mortal Shell, and a weird "lite" version of Godfall that only contains some endgame stuff and not the whole campaign
    The Challenger Edition focuses on three unique modes: Lightbringer, Dreamstones, and the Ascended Tower of Trials. All three are endgame-level content, but you’ll be immediately equipped with a spread of deadly weapons and skill points, letting you team up with up to two other players* in co-op. Perfect your build and smash your enemies. Challenger Edition’s endgame co-op is compatible with all upgraded editions of Godfall & supports cross-gen play. Godfall: Challenger Edition players can upgrade at any time to the Deluxe Edition gaining access to both Godfall and Fire & Darkness campaigns.
    Also The Persistence, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, and Until You Fall will still be available too.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mortal Shell is good enough for me.

• Options
    Kinda lame that it's not the full edition of Godfall?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    As someone who owns Godfall... They're likely cutting through all the bullshit. The game was horribly average and I only made it about 10 or so hours. I bet the endgame is pretty fun.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    The leveling up/story component of Godfall is often regarded as the weaker part of the overall experience. A lot of people seem to have fun with the endgame loop of getting loot and creating builds once they get there though, so the Challenger Edition gives people an easy way to just...do that.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I got Godfall for free from pc parts promo and I felt no need to continue playing after the intro and first mission

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Mortal Shell looks cool though! It caught my attention sometime last year and then I kinda forgot about it, so I’m excited to see it coming to +.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    As someone who owns Godfall... They're likely cutting through all the bullshit. The game was horribly average and I only made it about 10 or so hours. I bet the endgame is pretty fun.

I dunno. I will try this but it's going to be jarring getting thrown right into a full build of a character having no idea how the - I'm guessing - skills and talents work together; like imagine having to start Diablo with a full level character. I mean I guess this would go away after awhile.

. . .ah to heck with it, been interested in the game, folks are saying the endgame is actually where it is at, and it's insanely discounted.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »

I dunno. I will try this but it's going to be jarring getting thrown right into a full build of a character having no idea how the - I'm guessing - skills and talents work together; like imagine having to start Diablo with a full level character. I mean I guess this would go away after awhile.

. . .ah to heck with it, been interested in the game, folks are saying the endgame is actually where it is at, and it's insanely discounted.

It's definitely not like Diablo. It's mainly stuff like "+20% damage with swords" and stuff like that. So find an armor you enjoy (I assume they're all unlocked too) and get a good loudout and give it a shot.

• Options
    Yeah I picked it up. Game is stunning to look at and the gameplay is. . .pretty solid. I beat through to the homebase and can see where the grind will come from. Am curious though if they've boxed themselves into a corner with the number of plates they have on offer.

. . .as for CHALLENGER mode I'm guessing that's where you get the level boost, as it didn't give me that option when starting the game.

• Options
    Yeah it's a very pretty game. Combat is okay. But man grinding up to the final levels and running the same fucking levels over and over again got repetitive.

• Options
    Yeah it's a very pretty game. Combat is okay. But man grinding up to the final levels and running the same fucking levels over and over again got repetitive.

I think I can see the campaign/level-up bloat from just playing the initial story to level 10 (you're already tossed into redoing missions or running the same locales - which is fine. Tons of ARPG's do this). I haven't gotten bored. . .so far, but I'm clearly not far in. That said I can definitely see why they'd put the option for skipping the campaign to get people right into the endgame: I wish this were an option on AVENGERS/OUTRIDERS as I picked up those two for cheap for better and consistent performance on PS5.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fuck yes!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I can't see Sony releasing HZD2 or GoW2 on PS Now day and date, so I think MS would still have the leg up in the service but this is definately something and would make me feel better about paying for PS Plus.

Specially after the past few months of subpar offerings.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2021
    The third tier would add extended demos, game streaming and a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games. A representative for PlayStation didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Interesting. I wonder if those classic titles will also be available for purchase, or if they’ll strictly be available for subscribers as they are with NSO.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That headline is super misleading and sure to lead some folks to disappointment. Because they still aren't planning on doing the Day 1 exclusives because as has been discussed, they can't reasonably do that. And that's definitely one of the biggest parts of gamepass for lots of people.

Trying to find ways to bring more value to their own sub service without that aspect. So not really a direct competitor still. But seems like a great way to make it better!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    That headline is super misleading and sure to lead some folks to disappointment. Because they still aren't planning on doing the Day 1 exclusives because as has been discussed, they can't reasonably do that. And that's definitely one of the biggest parts of gamepass for lots of people.

Trying to find ways to bring more value to their own sub service without that aspect. So not really a direct competitor still. But seems like a great way to make it better!

Jason posted a second tweet as a follow up that makes that exact point, they aren't likely to copy every part of Gamepass.

• Options

Jason posted a second tweet as a follow up that makes that exact point, they aren't likely to copy every part of Gamepass.

Yep.

And that's is the exact part that people were saying Sony wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't do.

So that stays the same. But it is very good of them to find ways to make the service they do offer a better service. Always a good thing for the subscription type folks.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I doubt I would opt in for the highest tier, but if PS Now was rolled into PS Plus that would at least keep me from cancelling it.

Also he does mention in the follow up tweet that it would be a stronger offering than current PS Now, which would be nice.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If Persona 4 Golden suddenly becomes available to play on my PS5, I will be instantly happy with the service.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I don't give a shit about day 1 stuff. I barely play Microsoft games myself. But getting better, free games on the monthly service is a good thing.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    So I picked up the Tsushima ps5 version as someone was selling a physical copy for less than it would cost to upgrade my ps4 copy and buy the dlc and… I’m kinda disappointed? The haptics are nice but the only graphical improvements seem to be a resolution bump over playing the ps4 version on ps5 since they both ran at 60 fps and tbh I can only tell the difference when launching one right after the other and squinting so that was kind of a let down

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Do you have a 4K tv? I mean I never played the ps4 version but I would be shocked if it looked as good as what I played on ps5. I have to imagine draw distance and lod texture changes also are way better

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Do you have a 4K tv? I mean I never played the ps4 version but I would be shocked if it looked as good as what I played on ps5. I have to imagine draw distance and lod texture changes also are way better

Yeah playing on a 65” 4K about 5 feet away.. after doing some googling on it it sounds like they actually did not touch draw distance or lod changes (many people complained about this) the only real graphical changes over running the ps4 version on p5 vs the p5 native seem to be bumped resolution and slightly improved lighting.

Which don’t get me wrong it’s still a good looking game, I just expected a bit more given the upgrade price they asked for it

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Prohass wrote: »

From what I’ve been able to find, there’s no graphical difference between the PS4/PS4 Pro and PS5 versions other than the resolution and framerate.

And yes, it was shockingly good looking on the PS4 Pro. Absolute wizardry.

-Loki- on
  • Options
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Been playing Returnal the past few days, really liking it, just disappointed that the difficulty really ramps down the more you progress.

It took me forever to beat the first 3 levels, but then I breezed through the last 3 on my first attempt once I got there.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Been playing Returnal the past few days, really liking it, just disappointed that the difficulty really ramps down the more you progress.

It took me forever to beat the first 3 levels, but then I breezed through the last 3 on my first attempt once I got there.

Yeah that's because you got better at the game. Once you understand the mechanics and how the bosses fight it's not too bad... Biome 6 can suck at times though. But it might be because I have a thing about underwater levels... I get this overwhelming sense of dread.

This discussion has been closed.