As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6 Billion

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The games on the blog are mostly shooties, but they don't look awful. They just look same-y.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Tempting... but I have a $900 root canal in February. So there's that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    It does come out at around tax season... But then again I need a new dryer. And unfortunately that takes precedence.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That’s a pass for me, hopefully they can get the price lower because I’m interested in a cheap VR thing I can use a few times.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'll probably end up getting it because it I don't my son will bug me about it every other day until the end of time, and the peace and quiet is easily worth $600 or so. :lol:

Then again I don't see beat saber on that list so maybe he won't care.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I’m all in on PSVR2. I agree that it’s expensive, but for me who does not have a gaming PC at all any more, it’s more appealing enough than my other options to be worth the premium. Also the Horizon franchise is my daughter’s Important Game so there’s no way I’m getting away with “no, you can’t have Call of the Mountain because Sony made the new widget too expensive”.
    I am annoyed at the lack of backward compatibility especially because other than Zenith, which is on the launch titles list, most of the games I’ve really enjoyed are from either little shops or little skunkworks divisions of bigger shops. I’ll miss Megalith, Falcon Age, and presumably Squadrons and Bridge Crew as well. Even if I do understand the argument that a compatibility layer to translate between the new machine and the old is too much to ask, it still stings a bit.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Well, I've got a $500 credit from the retailer I just bought my TV from plus a left-over $250 gift card from when I bought my PS5, so the price of entry for me is basically "free" (ignoring the opportunity cost). I had previously been sitting on the $250 card waiting for an expansion card for the PS5 to come down in price, but this seems worthwhile too.

Main problem here is that we won't know who is selling this thing and when until some local retailer makes an announcement in two weeks.
    During this initial launch phase for our next-gen headset, players in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg will initially be able to pre-order PlayStation VR2 solely through PlayStation’s online store at direct.playstation.com. Pre-orders will begin on November 15, and players may begin to register for pre-orders starting today. Orders from direct.playstation.com for PlayStation VR2 headsets and bundles will ship throughout the week of launch.

In other markets, PlayStation VR2 will be sold at participating retailers, with pre-orders beginning on November 15. Information will be provided through participating local retailers in these regions.
    "Other markets" apparently includes Australia. :frowning:

26904.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Im getting it to use on pc once someone creates the third party program that can do that. Take oh, a couple of months at most if it popular, longer if its not.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Stupid wrote: »
    In other markets, PlayStation VR2 will be sold at participating retailers, with pre-orders beginning on November 15. Information will be provided through participating local retailers in these regions.
    "Other markets" apparently includes Australia. :frowning:

I spoke to my local EB Games this morning and they said they'll be taking preorders from the 15th, I'd expect JB Hifi, Harvey Norman and the like will as well.

Hopefully they'll have a decent trade in offer, if not I've got a 50% bonus trade for my birthday this month which will ease the pain a little.

Price is a bit higher than I was expecting but with my wife currently addicted to Dreamlight Valley it'll at least mean I can play PS5 games while she's on the TV as well.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    If you're going to price PSVR2 at more than your current console, it has to have backwards compatibility.

Its insane, otherwise. I'm flabbergasted.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd wait for the tech teardown. Sometimes backwards compatibility just isn't possible.
    What I would expect is for them to update as many PSVR titles as possible but again, we don't know how easy/hard that is, and some devs might not be in business anymore, so it's probably not something they can just guarantee.
    I'll be astonished if the bigger titles like Beatsaber don't get updated, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Just so everyone is aware, some store has been selling God of War Ragnarok up to two weeks early and so the entire game is spoiled online in places.

LMAO. Come on SONY.

. . .speaking of GOW, this is out next week and reviews are in today?! I'm not entirely sure why but this completely snuck up on me; probably because I haven't seen any previews and the games I'm really looking forward to are out in 2023. Definitely playing when it releases, but glad that I wasn't following all the news on this one.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Just so everyone is aware, some store has been selling God of War Ragnarok up to two weeks early and so the entire game is spoiled online in places.

LMAO. Come on SONY.

...Come on what?
    Shipping games out ahead of time for big releases isn't a bad thing. The stores breaking release date is a bad thing, but that's not on Sony.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2022
    Yeah, this is not Sony's fault. When I worked at Target we had a lot of strict controls over electronic items, and even stricter controls over who had access to items that were pre-street date (literally only the store manager and his assistant). The only real threat Sony can unleash is to not provide games to certain retailers ahead of time and to sue the crap out of offending retailers.

This also happens with basically every game that has a physical release, it's just that most of the time nobody cares.

A duck! on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Im getting it to use on pc once someone creates the third party program that can do that. Take oh, a couple of months at most if it popular, longer if its not.

I would take that bet; if it happens, I don't think we'll see it roughly comparable to the capabilities of a HP Reverb, a Valve Index (HMD only), or the biggest dog in the park, the Quest 2 via wired connection in a year after launch. I do think it'll be hacked in that time frame (probably), but it'll be a vastly inferior product (especially if Sony takes active precautions against it with revisions in the unit itself), especially compared to its capabilities on its intended hardware. The VR headset market is tight as it is (due in no small part to the huge subsidization of the Quest 2); very few people are going to pay $550 US or more to buy a headset that, after you put all the work in, is markedly inferior to products intended as PC peripheral, especially the one that can be used wirelessly with minimum effort.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Well, Ragnarok Producer Cory Balrog has an idea of what Sony could've done.
    you know, right now, I can really understand the benefit of having just an installer on the physical disc.

smh

Just print coasters, problem solved. :p

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Synthesis wrote: »

I would take that bet; if it happens, I don't think we'll see it roughly comparable to the capabilities of a HP Reverb, a Valve Index (HMD only), or the biggest dog in the park, the Quest 2 via wired connection in a year after launch. I do think it'll be hacked in that time frame (probably), but it'll be a vastly inferior product (especially if Sony takes active precautions against it with revisions in the unit itself), especially compared to its capabilities on its intended hardware. The VR headset market is tight as it is (due in no small part to the huge subsidization of the Quest 2); very few people are going to pay $550 US or more to buy a headset that, after you put all the work in, is markedly inferior to products intended as PC peripheral, especially the one that can be used wirelessly with minimum effort.

What? The specs and features Ive seen seem pretty good? Especially the resolution, external tracking cameras, and max fps. The controller also looks good?

Gonna need to see some details chief, I want to know what makes you so confident.

I currently live in the world of fully third party setup peripherals due to having a disability and needing Whacky Setups to get it all running, and theres dozens of options for programs. People make this stuff all the time and they do it well. Its just what happens on PC.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

LMAO. Come on SONY.

...Come on what?
    Shipping games out ahead of time for big releases isn't a bad thing. The stores breaking release date is a bad thing, but that's not on Sony.

It was uninformed non-serious snark.

. . .however sure; if you've got a huge game coming up that is relying on not only the gameplay but the continuation of the narrative of the previous blockbuster game, maybe be a bit more circumspect in who is getting these copies WEEKS in advance. Or tie the game to a required patch or the installer route or anything other than just crossing your fingers and hoping no one leaks your shipped game two weeks out from release (or whenever folks got their copies).

Again though, it was snark, as I have no idea what the logistics of game distribution are.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I picked up Elex 2 since I finished the first one and it was on sale. I'm sure I won't get to it soon enough.

• Options
    edited November 2022

What? The specs and features Ive seen seem pretty good?

Oh, the hardware is excellent; the per-eye resolution (let's face it, it's really damn important when they're less than two centimeters from your eye) is just a little bit short of the HP Reverb (2019 model); the other features look very solid. But I don't think a PS5-exclusive console headset is going to be immediately cracked open and then be used to its full capabilities with Windows PC in under a year. I think we'll be struggling just to get something resembling a usable experience, depending on how eager Sony is to prevent exactly that from happening. Having the original Samsung Odyssey as the first headset I owned; and watching the "homebrew" scene since then, that's my expectation.

Or maybe you can just plug the breakout box into your GPU and OpenComposite will kick in immediately. It doesn't seem likely though.

(An HP Reverb is also cheaper than PSVR 2 will be, and it works out of the box.)

EDIT: Either way, it won't be wireless (like the Quest 2) is. Neither is the Reverb, but that's a good bit cheaper.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2022
    Well, Ragnarok Producer Cory Balrog has an idea of what Sony could've done.
    you know, right now, I can really understand the benefit of having just an installer on the physical disc.

smh

Just print coasters, problem solved. :p

Yeah, I saw this too and my immediate thought was:

Gamers, when Xbone was revealed: don't make our consoles useless if we don't have an internet connection!

Gamers today, including many of the same above: why didn't you fools make us authenticate our games on release date???

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Oh, the hardware is excellent; the per-eye resolution (let's face it, it's really damn important when they're less than two centimeters from your eye) is just a little bit short of the HP Reverb (2019 model); the other features look very solid. But I don't think a PS5-exclusive console headset is going to be immediately cracked open and then be used to its full capabilities with Windows PC in under a year. I think we'll be struggling just to get something resembling a usable experience, depending on how eager Sony is to prevent exactly that from happening. Having the original Samsung Odyssey as the first headset I owned; and watching the "homebrew" scene since then, that's my expectation.

Or maybe you can just plug the breakout box into your GPU and OpenComposite will kick in immediately. It doesn't seem likely though.

(An HP Reverb is also cheaper than PSVR 2 will be, and it works out of the box.)

Samsung isnt even close to being relevant here. All Sony peripherals have dozens of options to use them on pc. Why? Cos theyre available everywhere, good quality, and people trust the brand.

I think you are being super pessimistic, but it doesnt matter anyway. Im not buying it until it works, so if it doesnt, oh well.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Samsung isnt even close to being relevant here. All Sony peripherals have dozens of options to use them on pc. Why? Cos theyre available everywhere, good quality, and people trust the brand.

Well, good thing the original PSVR had a completely seamless process of working with a PC in that first year with no problems whatsoever. Completely supported by Sony, because all those products work on PC! Or is that not close to relevant either? :lol:

Unless you have some insight as to PSVR 2 compatibility with PC that the rest of us don't have, you're left speculating too. I think you're being extremely optimistic, but as I already said, we'll have to wait and see.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Given Sony's push to put their games on PC, I don't think it's implausible they make the PSVR support PC if there is money there. I think asking over £500 for something that only works on one console and the games made for it seems a bit much.

• Options
    It would be stupid for them NOT to. Imagine a VR headset that works flawlessly on the PC and the PS5.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The PSVR2 manual is out there and there's nothing about PC, so.

Still there's unofficial software to get PSVR1 working on PC, so there's good odds the same will happen eventually for PSVR2.

• Options

LMAO. Come on SONY.

...Come on what?

. . .however sure; if you've got a huge game coming up that is relying on not only the gameplay but the continuation of the narrative of the previous blockbuster game, maybe be a bit more circumspect in who is getting these copies WEEKS in advance. Or tie the game to a required patch or the installer route or anything other than just crossing your fingers and hoping no one leaks your shipped game two weeks out from release (or whenever folks got their copies).

Again though, it was snark, as I have no idea what the logistics of game distribution are.

"Okay, here are the games. You won't sell them ahead of time, will you?"
    "Sure."
    That's pretty much all they can do without coming off as incredibly draconian. And the backlash from making an offline single player game require an internet connection would do far more damage than keeping spoilers off the internet for a week is worth.

• Options
    Before the announcement, I outright said that I thought it'd be a great deal as dual purpose headset, the same way the Quest 2 as a standalone unit and a PC peripheral.

But that was before the price announcement. And then Sony made absolutely no reference to any PC functionality whatsoever (not that I've heard of). Then also explained they would have no previous PSVR support with it short of rereleasing games, which Sony has a less than very consumer-friendly history with. None of these filled me with much optimism, but I'm not an optimist in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if PSVR 2's library came to PC (in fact, I'm kind of counting on it); whether Sony sees this as a way to sell the headsets, without the consoles as well as with them, doesn't seem very clear. Though the chances of them somehow becoming exclusive to PSVR 2 on PC is basically nil.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

LMAO. Come on SONY.

...Come on what?

"Okay, here are the games. You won't sell them ahead of time, will you?"
    "Sure."
    That's pretty much all they can do without coming off as incredibly draconian. And the backlash from making an offline single player game require an internet connection would do far more damage than keeping spoilers off the internet for a week is worth.

Yeah IIRC their options are:

Sue, but probably not get much even if they win because its hard to prove someone financially damaged you by selling your game too enthusiastically.

Punish the retailer by restricting future games or console shipments (maybe said retailer gets games after street date and doesn’t have them available until days after release). But this is a double edged sword that hurts sony too.

Put an authentication to server that doesn’t work until release date, or day 1 patch to get the game to be playable. This screws anyone without internet.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It seems that the worst part about Forspoken might be the dialog, and that's a compliment. Everything from parkour to combat looks awesome, but that trailer really left a bad taste in my mouth.

"Yeah okay, that's something I do now!"

• Options
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    More like... Good of War

Gottem

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Just a 9.5? That's it, pre-order cancelled.
    I was holding out for a 9.7 at least.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I picked up Elex 2 since I finished the first one and it was on sale. I'm sure I won't get to it soon enough.
    I don't know if you're into collecting, Honky, but they're trying to almost give away the OG Elex collector's edition on THQ Nordic's EU store: https://eu.store.thqnordic.com/en/sale/168/elex-collector-s-edition#

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also since Google is too spooky with big spoilers...

Has anyone that has peeked at the leaks seen for certain what/if new weapons are in Ragnarok?

If so wanna throw that in some spoiler tags for me? Wanna set my expectations there appropriately.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I remember when it was the height of awesome to get your hands on a game early. Now everyone is scared of spoilers

I blame the internet.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    It still is amazing to get a game early!

Just if people could not be assholes about it that would be great.

Seems like 2 different things there.

• Options
    It's great to get a game early.
    It sucks for someone else to get a game early and enthusiastically tell you that there's this fantastic moment when you-.

This discussion has been closed.