As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ooh, I picked up Inscryption and...
    I've beaten the final boss. I managed to 'get ahead' of the game, I think. If you do well enough on your first playthrough it tries to force you into losing by cheating very overtly. I was able to get past the battle anyway. I did this on both my first and second runs. I also know there's a bunch of stuff left to do.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    my friends havent been paying attention for the last like 20+ years if they think im doing anything involving CS or CS adjacent.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    my friends havent been paying attention for the last like 20+ years if they think im doing anything involving CS or CS adjacent.

Hell, I must not be paying any attention because I don't even know what CS means, let alone things that are adjacent to it. :lol:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Just chillin out on my vacation when lo an ominous black screen arises

But soon it sprung into a lil light:
    ibg9p4okogpd.jpg

Thanks @vamen for The Last Campfire!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Hell, I must not be paying any attention because I don't even know what CS means, let alone things that are adjacent to it. :lol:

Get off my lawn

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I've beaten the final boss. I managed to 'get ahead' of the game, I think. If you do well enough on your first playthrough it tries to force you into losing by cheating very overtly. I was able to get past the battle anyway. I did this on both my first and second runs. I also know there's a bunch of stuff left to do.
    Did you find the fungus dudes boss battle in botopia?

Make sure you get their key while in the Gameboy section

It's great.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    especially stuff like Legends, etc which is not THAT old

I mean, it's pretty old—15 years is the same span of time between these two:

film-direktor-zak-penn-zeigt-eine-der-ausgegrabenen-spiele-schachteln-von-ataris-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-.jpg
    Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Inscryption was a very good card-based spooky meta-horror game I do recommend.

I have very angry and intense thoughts about the ending.

(genuine ending spoilers)
    First off, the entire ARG side is imbecilic and should not have existed. But especially that fucking ending. Then I made the mistake of looking up if I had missed some trigger for a 'good' ending or something, which revealed to me that there was some entire fucking extended ARG about like, decoding cyphers that were references to random playing cards for an obscure TCG the dude had worked on, which are used to decode a file about Hitler's magical deck of cards written in Polish and... fucking what.

So let's ignore the ARG side and just focus on the existential ending of them all congratulating you for playing the game well. Okay, maybe the death lady, fine. But the entire point of act 2 in the game was how all these people are crazy sadistical lunatics caught in a four way struggle that one occasionally gets the upper hand, but that all of them are batshit crazies who at best ignore their followers and at worst, torture them. Shake your hand, Leshy? You have a pile of my corpses in your fucking den because you can't stand losing. You constantly egged people to rip out teeth with rusty pliers. I do not want to be a good sport about that. And paint wizard? Whose entire sequence in act 2 was about the various ways he was inflicting existential torture on his apprentices for fun? Yeah, not feeling like you're a good bud either.

When the death sequence started, it seemed obvious to me that it'd be a sequence about dying with her doing schtick about facing mortality or something, then the painter dude creating it all again from nothing. Maybe you building your own rules or whatever. I don't know. Lots of potential ways to go. Instead, it tried for a sappy and abrupt "GGWP" with remorseless serial killer cheating demigods along with a bunch of nonsense about THE OLD DATA which is apparently just some bullshit ARG that people are still trying to figure out.

Presentation, sort of masterful.

Ending, wiiiide swing and a miss as far as I'm concerned.
    @ArcTangent
    Grimoira was nothing but nice to you and wanted to stop the cycle of the game. It makes sense she wanted to shake your hand, you helped her.

She also actually gets enjoyment out of playing her games.

Leshy is a bit more nuanced. Leshy enjoys playing the card game and is disappointed when he beats you. He laments hoping you'd be a better player than the last.

He knows he's in a game. Those aren't your bodies, really, as cards. He's self-aware there's a player and he's not killing anyone. If you beat him a few times without the film role he says "I just wanted to play a game."

He's surprised if you use the pliers and has the knife locked away. Magnificus is the one who has your eye taken out. Goobert and the caged wolf totem leads you to the knife. Leshy offers you a new eye.

Eventually, you not only beat him, but outwit his control over the game. Later, in a moment of reflection, he says "Maybe I went too far."

Leshy is also shown to have friends. Only him and Grimoira actually interact in a kind way with their minions, showing he is capable of empathy.

Leshy kills P03 to save the world and himself but, in my mind, taking responsibility for showing P03 what direct control over the game could mean for him.

During the end game, Leshy just wants to keep playing cards. Especially with you, who has gained his respect. I think his handshake makes sense thematically.

P03 is a robot with no conscience who tells his minions to kill themselves for his cause.

He actively dislikes you and wants you to help him escape from the game and seems like he doesn't enjoy playing his own card game.

Magnificus is a vain, selfish, sadist. We interact with him the least in the game, but it's clear he believes himself to be above everyone, both figuratively and literally in his tower.

His "pupils" are toys for him to hurt. Goobert, most of all. Goobert loves Magnificus and helps the player with hints during the cabin scene, tries to make Magnificus proud by battling you in the Gameboy section, helps you in the botopia section which is also where you can find his secret area where's he has painted a picture of himself and Magnificus embracing, a symbol of his desired affection he is denied, while also using paint for his artwork, Magnificus' favorite medium.

If you find Goobert's secret painting, during the end, where you Yu-Gi-Oh against Magnificus, you see the painting discarded on the path, Magnificus having painted over Goobert so only the painting of him remains. He's a monster and the game goes out of its way to show you this time and time again.

During your battle, Magnificus shows no enjoyment of playing with you and has never shown any signs of caring about you in any way.

After all his zone is deleted, he crawls on his hands and knees with arm outstretched. He debases himself, which is extremely out of character. You'll note (I think, I don't 100% remember) he says "I -must- shake your hand." not "I want to" but "I must"

I think there's something possibly going on with the handshake thing; it just seems super weird with the Magnificus stuff and you touching the OLD_DATA at the end.

Anyway, the game is about the Lucky Carder's story of finding and playing through the game. He finds it, plays it, it harassed in real life, and is then killed. It's a full "arc".

His story gives us glimpses into the mystery around the game, but he dies before he can find out all of it.

His journey ends, but the ARG is there for people who want more! If you're not into it, that's cool, but it's super compelling for others - and some people will be satisfied with the base game!

I can only speculate, but I think Inscryption will be Mullins' most successful game and might be the first game he makes a true sequel to. We'll see.
    I hope Mullins gets the picture that everyone wants a physical CCG Inscryption that can be played.

Let me buy these cards, damn it!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Is it fries? Fries go next to Chicken Sandos?

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Back in dojo for the first time in 3 months this morning and when I get home I see a little flashing steam popup...

l2smelr7o1zp.jpg

Thank you @vamen for Outer Worlds <3
    Also, I now need to get the wishlist back to 69, especially as it wasn't on purpose the first time!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

It's great.

I just
    Took a picture of the Leshy. There were things I didn't get a chance to interact with in that room though.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

It's great.

I just
    Took a picture of the Leshy. There were things I didn't get a chance to interact with in that room though.
    I think I misunderstood what you meant by final boss.

Ignore everything I said.

If you just took Leshy's picture, there's, uh, a fair bit left for you to do.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    AoE4 is a good time; kinda surprised i haven't seen a dedicated thread or it at least mentioned somewhere. A month ago i was looking for a newer rts w/ a decent online population and there was nothing; this is scratching that itch and has a huge nostalgia factor

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    AoE4 is a good time; kinda surprised i haven't seen a dedicated thread or it at least mentioned somewhere. A month ago i was looking for a newer rts w/ a decent online population and there was nothing; this is scratching that itch and has a huge nostalgia factor

Playing it on Game Pass. Have yet to try online but the game mechanics seem fun so far.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Finished GotG and damn does that get good.
    the story is great and the characterization is fantastic.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Finished GotG and damn does that get good.
    the story is great and the characterization is fantastic.

I'm playing this on PS5 right now, and also really enjoying it. I kinda hate that this game's rep is kinda suffering from guilt by association with the Avengers game. I hope the game ends up doing well, but locally, I'm not seeing many copies moving.

• Options
    From what I've heard this game might be the most wholesome depiction of male feelings in a long time

Without wolfenstein gore

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Anyone here on the fence with Phasmophobia and would like to try it out? I kinda want to play with someone else who is also new. I'm pretty antisocial so dropping into a random server just fills me with anxiety because I'm scared of ruining their experience.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I'm old and CS only means Computer Science.

Sort of like other abbreviations mean completely different things in my head. So it takes me a few minutes to understand what people are saying these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone here on the fence with Phasmophobia and would like to try it out? I kinda want to play with someone else who is also new. I'm pretty antisocial so dropping into a random server just fills me with anxiety because I'm scared of ruining their experience.

I own it now, and I'd be willing to play with you. I'm going to be real busy for the next two weeks though due to a big deployment at work.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    @vamen decided to improve my day with a very cool gift:
    627guthv5p9z.png

Thanks a lot!

Asthariel on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Sort of like other abbreviations mean completely different things in my head. So it takes me a few minutes to understand what people are saying these days.

MW2 is MechWarrior 2 and I will die on this hill. In a mech.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

MW2 is MechWarrior 2 and I will die on this hill. In a mech.

Wait... What else does it stand for?

Oh... Modern Warfare huh?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

I own it now, and I'd be willing to play with you. I'm going to be real busy for the next two weeks though due to a big deployment at work.

All good! My playtime is limited with 3 kids too. Mostly 8:30-10pm M-F and a few sporadic times throughout the week.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/urahonky/

Also if you vote my friends csgo team then you'll get an extra bonus in the game...

• Options
    Also I was offering to buy it for someone haha. I should have clarified :)

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    New bundle just dropped: the Humble Aspyr 25th Anniversary Bundle!

$1:
    • Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered

BTA:
    • Lightmatter
    • Morkredd
    • Layers of Fear: Masterpiece Edition

$12:
    • Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth
    • Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
    • Bioshock: Infinite with Season Pass

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Drones, The Human Condition is free to keep until November 1st at 10am, Pacific time. There are no trading cards in this version.

3fwzuzp9czfx.jpg

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Huh. How long has Dicey Dungeons had a Halloween level pack?

I'm playing it now, and am having an interesting time as the Inventor.
    The Halloween gimmick for the Inventor is that most everything you can find has a serious downside to it. Such as a weapon that deals [die] damage to you and the opponent simultaneously. Or a scythe that deals [die] damage, but curses you on a 6. Or (my favorite), the Stubbed Toe, which deals 2x [die] damage to you only (and its Invention equivalent deals 999 damage to you). So you have to use other items that mitigate, block, or reverse the downsides. I have a shield that blocks all self-inflicted damage, and (my favorite) an item that swaps the target of the next item you use. So I can use the double-edge with no damage, and reverse the stubbed toe.

But the most interesting thing I found was the Polyjuice Potion item. It transforms the enemy into another enemy of the same level. I don't think it's that useful on an opponent. But on a whim, I used the target-swapper to use it on myself, half-expecting it to work like the Bear potion. I didn't turn into the Bear, but I did permanently turn into the Warrior instead of the Inventor. That's had an interesting effect on the run. Now I've got the Warrior's specials (including his limit break), and I no longer need to turn my equipment into gadgets after each battle. I really love it when this game has weird interactions like this.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    @vamen decided to improve my day with a very cool gift:
    627guthv5p9z.png

Thanks a lot!

And @Asthariel couldn't just let me gift him and call it a day, noooooo.

c7rnpg7eze9g.png

<3

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Trying to reinstall max gentleman sexy business and came across this review of the nude dlc
    For free, it's hard to complain. However, I feel like this DLC would have been better had the characters had any body hair to speak of. Okay, fair, there's a tiny dusting of a hint of hair on Sinterklaas, the fanservice character for people who like bears. Otherwise, those, everybody is starkly hairless, including genitalia, and it just feels weird after a while, especially when the idea of that particular grooming choice seems drastically at odds with the character's personality.

Trying to get the monster prom dlc without going back to the computer

edit: Doom 2 Grosse secret level

How the unholy fuck does someone get through that with only 30 seconds???

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Are there any good horror games out for PC right now on Steam? I feel like Steam is shoveling wares at me and I don't know how to differentiate between them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Are there any good horror games out for PC right now on Steam? I feel like Steam is shoveling wares at me and I don't know how to differentiate between them.

Not a one. Nope.

Well, ok, maybe a few.

I hear good things about Alien Cube.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ctjq71l5908o.png

Speaking of horror, I've been Roz'd.

Thanks @Karoz for The Missing: Long Subtitle! I forget who it was in chat that was complaining about the premise of the game and made me super interested in it but here we are!

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Let's see what I've played in my library. Few are recent releases though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

New horror games that aren't just shitposts are few and far between, but Poppy Playtime is shaping up to have some potential. Unfortunately it's being developed as an episodic thing though and you can literally complete the first chapter in a refund window. Which is....an unfortunate decision by the developer.

Darkwood is really, really good though and currently less than $5 during the Halloween sale. I'd highly recommend playing with a headset, as it has some of the best sound design of any horror game I've played.

• Options

Not a one. Nope.

Well, ok, maybe a few.

I hear good things about Alien Cube.

I checked out a video and it definitely looks like a contender. Thanks!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »

Let's see what I've played in my library. Few are recent releases though.

I've played Dead Space, Limbo and Oxenfree. I'll check out the others.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Alien Isolation is pretty good for scares.

• Options

All good! My playtime is limited with 3 kids too. Mostly 8:30-10pm M-F and a few sporadic times throughout the week.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/urahonky/

Also if you vote my friends csgo team then you'll get an extra bonus in the game...

I sent you an invitation to vote for my csgo team as well.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    zNeRefL.png
    ob8Cq.png
    Boys and girls of every age
    Wouldn't you like to see another sale?

Come with us and buy on Steam
    These great games of Halloween

Sales and Halloween, sales and Halloween
    Wallets scream in the dead of night

Sales and Halloween, everybody join the chat
    Buy and gift till the friendlist gonna die of class

Check the thread, everybody Steam!
    In this sale of Halloween

I am the one hoarding hundreds of games
    Plenty of time to buy, so little to play

I am the one idling for Steam cards
    Sell a thousand more, make another buck

Sales and Halloween, sales and Halloween
    Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!

In this thread we call home
    Everyone hail to GabeN's song