As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Questor wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I really want to play Inscryption, but I'm balls deep in Atelier right now.

You can get a cream for that

zoxjdgfslnqc.png

What's that from?

Atelier Escha and Logy: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152310/Atelier_Escha__Logy_Alchemists_of_the_Dusk_Sky_DX/

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Another thing that just occurred to me are games that I may have been able to play on console before, but can be elevated to another level with the right mods. Definitely going to have to look into mods of some of my favorite games. And I know this might be sacrilegious, but I am now wondering if there's a mod for Sekiro to make it playable by normal humans. So much research.

Even though this is the Steam thread, its worth noting that the Xbox Gamepass for PC is a helluva deal, and certainly home to a lot of "need to try" games on PC. I'd highly recommend a subscription.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think I hear the sound of a thousand gift-a-pults being ratcheted into position, loaded with a million bundle keys...

*looks around shiftily*

What, this gift-a-pult? nono it's just sitting here resting.

Just resting in your account, right :wink:

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Okay it's not Steam but I have run out of places to try to give these away. I have codes for:

"SHINY ZAMAZENTA IN Pokémon Sword AND SHINY ZACIAN IN Pokémon Shield"

... whatever the fuck these are. Anyone want them?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    oyceSraphim

Definitely going to take me a while to look into all of these. Thanks for the suggestions.

Another thing that just occurred to me are games that I may have been able to play on console before, but can be elevated to another level with the right mods. Definitely going to have to look into mods of some of my favorite games. And I know this might be sacrilegious, but I am now wondering if there's a mod for Sekiro to make it playable by normal humans. So much research.

Steam workshop, search for games you've enjoyed

Nexus mods, look up the games you've enjoyed but be aware of the mod count. Sometimes its just the same idea over and over

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    oyceSraphim

Definitely going to take me a while to look into all of these. Thanks for the suggestions.

Steam workshop, search for games you've enjoyed

Nexus mods, look up the games you've enjoyed but be aware of the mod count. Sometimes its just the same idea over and over

Hundreds and hundreds of nude mods.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Looks like Valve announced the next Steam Sale dates

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-26-valve-confirms-steam-halloween-autumn-and-winter-sale-dates

Steam Halloween sale: 28th Oct to 1st Nov 2021
    Steam autumn sale: 24th Nov to 30th Nov 2021
    Steam winter sale: 22nd Dec 2021 to 5th Jan 2022

So if you're like me and looking at a specific game you are thinking of buying, maybe wait a few days.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-26-valve-confirms-steam-halloween-autumn-and-winter-sale-dates

So if you're like me and looking at a specific game you are thinking of buying, maybe wait a few days.

Please, no. My wallet can't take anymore. Gaben, have mercy on us.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Even though this is the Steam thread, its worth noting that the Xbox Gamepass for PC is a helluva deal, and certainly home to a lot of "need to try" games on PC. I'd highly recommend a subscription.

Yeah, I do have an Xbox One S, and I've used GP here and there. My laptop came with a free month, so I went looking for some games on there that aren't playable on my Xbox, and The Saboteur and The Riftbreaker caught my eye.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ah yes, The french titty dlc

The erotic modding community should work on a nude mod that removes everyone's clothes except the cabaret dancing girls, who get more clothes.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Yeah, I do have an Xbox One S, and I've used GP here and there. My laptop came with a free month, so I went looking for some games on there that aren't playable on my Xbox, and The Saboteur and The Riftbreaker caught my eye.

Riftbreaker is loads of fun!

Saboteur was nice, if a bit repetitive at times. (It end up being one of those "map fucking" games, which if you enjoy, it has great presentation.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Oh crap, does valve care if you refund something to buy it in a sale 2 days later?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Inscryption was a very good card-based spooky meta-horror game I do recommend.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Oh crap, does valve care if you refund something to buy it in a sale 2 days later?

Nope. That's literally one of the use cases for the refund option. As long as you are under the playtime and wait time periods it should work.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darkest Dungeon II is out (in Early Access at least) and I'm really enjoying it so far. Great style to this series. A good fantasy/cosmic horror setting to the game, which has been described as the Oregon Trail with eldritch abominations.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think I hear the sound of a thousand gift-a-pults being ratcheted into position, loaded with a million bundle keys...

*looks around shiftily*

Shut up Dougal!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

*looks around shiftily*

Shut up Dougal!

Right you are, Ted.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    They scream in whispers.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I've been playing the No Man's Sky Expedition thing. I'm not ashamed to admit that I didn't realize I didn't have to finish the regular story first, and it did not occur to me that the Expedition would be buried in the multiplayer menu, so I missed out on at least one previous one.
    Anyway
    It's neat, but I hit a point where I should have an item/tech from a derelict freighter due to a milestone I hit, but I don't, so I can't progress. A cursory google search points to mods being the issue - which, come on Hello Games - so I'll try to disable my mods and hit a random derelict ship and see if it unlocks somehow. If not, I'm bummed, but I will not play all of the Expedition over again. That just sucks.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Humble Bundle has a Halloween sale going but their list is padded. Civilization? Mafia? These aren't spooky games!

It's scary how bad I am at Civilization.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    Hey a quick question, what is the best way to play bioshock and bioshock 2 on pc? I have heard some negativity about the remasters, I got the collection on sale quite a while ago so I own both versions.

The remasters biggest problem is that they crash a lot but it varies from system to system. For example a lot of people had problems with bioshock 1 but I had not even one crash, instead in bio 2 at one point it crashed every 5-10 minutes. There are a bunch of community fixes but it's not sure if they even work, for me what seemed to work is setting bio 2 on high priority. The remasters look a lot better than the originals but they're really unstable, you might get lucky and have no crashes. From what I read the originals have problems too, so there's no clear answer, it's really unfortunate they deserved better.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Finally finished Dead Space on PC; it was in my backlog for years. Definitely one of the scariest sci-fi horror games out there, and I am optimistic about its upcoming remake.

Now I am starting Dead Space 2.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Prisca wrote: »
    Finally finished Dead Space on PC; it was in my backlog for years. Definitely one of the scariest sci-fi horror games out there, and I am optimistic about its upcoming remake.

This is a great video to watch if you're interested in hearing more about the game's development, especially that one scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I honestly don't know how I ever played Dead Space, I think the upgrade mechanics were the only thing driving me forward. I was not having a good time with the spooks and the scares in that game.

Also they updated Phasmophobia and added a campsite and some more ghosts.

The campsite is gated so the ghost can roam freely outside now and just can't get past the gate, so now you can watch your friends get hunted outdoors hooray!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how I ever played Dead Space, I think the upgrade mechanics were the only thing driving me forward. I was not having a good time with the spooks and the scares in that game.

Also they updated Phasmophobia and added a campsite and some more ghosts.

The campsite is gated so the ghost can roam freely outside now and just can't get past the gate, so now you can watch your friends get hunted outdoors hooray!

The new update, also has a lot of other great features. You can now choose which map you want to play, and the new journal is fantastic.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »
    Hey a quick question, what is the best way to play bioshock and bioshock 2 on pc? I have heard some negativity about the remasters, I got the collection on sale quite a while ago so I own both versions.

The remasters biggest problem is that they crash a lot but it varies from system to system. For example a lot of people had problems with bioshock 1 but I had not even one crash, instead in bio 2 at one point it crashed every 5-10 minutes. There are a bunch of community fixes but it's not sure if they even work, for me what seemed to work is setting bio 2 on high priority. The remasters look a lot better than the originals but they're really unstable, you might get lucky and have no crashes. From what I read the originals have problems too, so there's no clear answer, it's really unfortunate they deserved better.

Well I started Bioshock 1 Remastered and got to the end of the medical center with no crashes so fingers crossed. I love the level design and atmosphere, hopefully it’ll work out.

Got distracted a bit because I found an old copy of Prey(2006) and lo and behold it works just fine on windows 10. Now there’s a great game that deserved better than to get unceremoniously dumped off steam just because it had the same directory name as another game which caused problems and no one could be bothered to fix it. I’d love to see a vr port, but I feel like that would lead to a lot of vomiting.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Prey is no longer for sale on Steam because it used external CD keys instead of ones created specifically for Steam by Valve. It was one of the early PC games that were able to be added to your library using an external CD key, and you can still do so if you manage to find a dusty old retail copy of Prey with an unused key buried somewhere at the bottom of a long forgotten bargain bin. The issue is that the developer/publisher ran out of keys and for some reason couldn't or wouldn't generate any more, meaning they couldn't provide any to Valve, so new copies could not be activated, so new copies could not be sold.

Usually when a game is going to be released that will have the same name as an older game in the franchise they will just change the name of the older game to reflect this (Doom became The Ultimate Doom, Tomb Raider became Tomb Raider I, etc), but you can have multiple games with the same name. GRID and GRID are an example.

• Options
    No Man's Sky update: despite disabling my (two, silly) mods, I did not get the tech needed. So I turned to the dark arts and downloaded a save editor. That worked, and I can now continue the expedition! Still dumb that I have to do this.

On the upside, with said save manager, I could unlock the sets old wood and concrete materials that I had partly unlocked, took a break from the game and Hello Games made those "legacy". That's cool!
    There's also a checkbox for the Normandy frigate...I...I don't know if I should...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    el_vicio wrote: »
    There's also a checkbox for the Normandy frigate...I...I don't know if I should...

paerv7aj29gr.png

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Goddamnit haha

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah I own both Prey and Prey and they just show up as two separate entries in my library

It's not an issue of negligence, it's an issue of money. Like how you just can't buy Blur anymore on Steam. Or that James Bond game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    A huge thank you to both @Karoz and @Orivon for gifting me while I slept! Karoz for Chorvs... Chorus? It looks really cool! and Orivon for Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster. You are both the best! <3<3<3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    For 2006 Prey, key resellers can get you a key. You might be supporting money laundering but all the stolen credit card stuff must have happened years ago.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Gotta go fast this Halloween with Humble's Sonic 30th Anniversary Bundle!

$1:
    • Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
    • Sonic Adventure II with Battle Mode DLC
    • Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episodes 1 & 2

BTA:
    • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection
    • Sonic Generations Collection
    • Sonic Lost World
    • Sonic Mania: Encore DLC

$10:
    • Team Sonic Racing
    • Sonic Mania
    • Sonic Forces - Digital Bonus edition

That is an epic crapload of Sonic games for ten bucks.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Winky wrote: »
    Inscryption was a very good card-based spooky meta-horror game I do recommend.

I have very angry and intense thoughts about the ending.

(genuine ending spoilers)
    First off, the entire ARG side is imbecilic and should not have existed. But especially that fucking ending. Then I made the mistake of looking up if I had missed some trigger for a 'good' ending or something, which revealed to me that there was some entire fucking extended ARG about like, decoding cyphers that were references to random playing cards for an obscure TCG the dude had worked on, which are used to decode a file about Hitler's magical deck of cards written in Polish and... fucking what.

So let's ignore the ARG side and just focus on the existential ending of them all congratulating you for playing the game well. Okay, maybe the death lady, fine. But the entire point of act 2 in the game was how all these people are crazy sadistical lunatics caught in a four way struggle that one occasionally gets the upper hand, but that all of them are batshit crazies who at best ignore their followers and at worst, torture them. Shake your hand, Leshy? You have a pile of my corpses in your fucking den because you can't stand losing. You constantly egged people to rip out teeth with rusty pliers. I do not want to be a good sport about that. And paint wizard? Whose entire sequence in act 2 was about the various ways he was inflicting existential torture on his apprentices for fun? Yeah, not feeling like you're a good bud either.

When the death sequence started, it seemed obvious to me that it'd be a sequence about dying with her doing schtick about facing mortality or something, then the painter dude creating it all again from nothing. Maybe you building your own rules or whatever. I don't know. Lots of potential ways to go. Instead, it tried for a sappy and abrupt "GGWP" with remorseless serial killer cheating demigods along with a bunch of nonsense about THE OLD DATA which is apparently just some bullshit ARG that people are still trying to figure out.

Presentation, sort of masterful.

Ending, wiiiide swing and a miss as far as I'm concerned.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Gotta go fast this Halloween with Humble's Sonic 30th Anniversary Bundle!

$1:
    • Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
    • Sonic Adventure II with Battle Mode DLC
    • Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episodes 1 & 2

BTA:
    • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection
    • Sonic Generations Collection
    • Sonic Lost World
    • Sonic Mania: Encore DLC

$10:
    • Team Sonic Racing
    • Sonic Mania
    • Sonic Forces - Digital Bonus edition

That is an epic crapload of Sonic games for ten bucks.

The most important Sonic game, Sonic 06, is not on PC. Shame on Sega.
    I'd take Sonic Unleashed as well, if only for Chip's super annoying "SAAAAAANIIIIIC"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Prisca wrote: »

This is a great video to watch if you're interested in hearing more about the game's development, especially that one scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

Great video, and I love the Visceral folks for making my favorite single-player game of the 360/PS3 era. Exploring the USG Ishimura, a setting that is as much an homage to the blue-collar astronaut aesthetic of Alien, Aliens, Outland, 2010 as it is to Event Horizon, kept me moving with purpose through the story. Albeit like a coiled spring, ready to pistol whip, shoot, and stomp anything that moved.

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    God Dead Space was so good. I loved it when I played through it on the 360 way back when and been meaning to play through the whole series since I've never tried the sequels.

Its a great mix of legit scary and eat plasma you horrific alien fuck

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Oh, great and benevolent Steam thread, I call upon thee and your infinite wisdom and compassion.

So I just recently got a decent gaming laptop after years of being console-only. Now I'm kinda curious about the games I've missed out on in the last 5-10 years. I'm mainly looking for single-player games that are either PC exclusive, or just so much better on PC that they probably should've been.

I'm open to many different genres. It would probably be quicker to name the kind of games I don't like. Not a fan of roguelikes/lites, walking sims, or visual novels. I do like indie games that don't fall into those categories though.

Bit late on this, but here's a few I've tried recently and can vouch for that haven't been mentioned yet:

Brigador: Isometric mech/vehicular combat as a mercenary in a revolutionary state, somewhere between C&C: Tiberian Sun and Crusader: No Remorse in tone. You're basically paid to commit war crimes - moreso than usual for videogames - but there's some smart worldbuiding as you proceed, and holy shit does stuff blow up real good. Excellent soundtrack, too. Let one who hasn't wanted to bring down property values by way of a tank cast the first stone.

Jupiter Hell: Legally distinct Doom: The Roguelike, not to be confused with the Doom RPG. Deceptively simple controls hide a solid turn-based descent into a Hell-infested space colony. In contrast to the very 90s attitude, you'll spend a lot of time comparing the stats on weapons and taking defensive positions before fighting. The game can very quickly go from manageable to THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE GODDAMN WALLS and it's on you to always be ready for the latter.

Nauticrawl: Cockpit simulator for a steampunk walker on some alien world. You're a runaway slave who has no idea how the vehicle you stole works, and have to learn the systems on the fly while being hunted. Some nice 'eureka' moments as you figure out how to work various systems and unlock more functions, and the scraps of plot along the way paint an interesting, if disturbing, picture of what you're trying to flee.

Tales of the Neon Sea: 2D adventure/mystery where a cyborg detective and his cat solve crimes. Falls victim to the standard adventure game problem of 'random puzzles = gameplay', but it's well presented with some gorgeous pixel art, and softens a lot of the usual cyberpunk/noir tropes in some clever ways. I cannot overstate that 'cat mafia rave party' is a thing that literally happens in this game.

Tokyo 42: Parkour assassin shenanigans in a futuristic open city, with a simple yet memorably stark presentation. You run around on rooftops and take flying leaps with no fall damage, but otherwise has an old-school GTA vibe with a dash of Hotline Miami. Some annoying scripted sequences, and the perspective complicates aiming and stealth at times, but it's breezy and fun with some very generous checkpointing. Also you get a pet kitty who sniffs out rival assassins in a crowd.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine