As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Yeah I try not to get obsessed about numbers even though it feels really important when you're choosing expensive parts and you see lots of people on the internet talking about making the numbers go a tiny bit higher. I just have to remind myself that I am not an elite level tech nerd and probably wouldn't even notice the difference and I just need to make sure all the bits go together okay. Upgrading from a Flintstones computer pretty much any modern piece of kit is going to feel like NASA built it.

Edit: Well I just had to make 4 attempts to boot my PC and when it eventually did I got "Repairing Disk Errors" so I guess that's a clue that the HDD really might be buggered.

I just looked up the expected lifespan of a HDD and Google says 5-7 years. These are just over 10 so I guess they've done ok.

Edit2: Though I just ran that crystal disk thing and it says the health of both my drives is Good, so who fecking knows

What GPU did you go with.

I love

hardware

I'm sticking with my current Radeon RX 580 for now. I only bought it last year and GPUs are stupid expensive.

That's an excellent card so you made the right decision there.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    But game loading times is when I go and make cups of tea, how will I fit it into my schedule now

for some reason, some games still have load times.

Even with a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD and 32GB DDR4 RAM.

But on the plus side, in multiplayer game I'm usually the first in lobby

Some games can be also be heavily CPU bound. If they have a bunch of heavily compressed textures/assets, or if they actually need to generate the level or whatever instead of just loading it in.
    For instance even on an SSD when I played FFXIV I had some pretty bad load times and zone transitions, usually being 10-20 seconds behind my party, until I finally also upgraded my CPU.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I picked up the FFV Pixel Remaster, because it's my 2nd favorite of the SNES games and my favorite of the ones which currently have a Pixel Remaster out. I feel like a lot of PC ports of games from Japanese studios have some pretty jank UI, especially when it comes to main menu stuff. In game UI is often better, especially if you're playing with a controller.
    This one has a level of ?why!? in it that I've never seen before. The Options menu on the main screen has 3 items in it. Privacy Policy, License, and Configuration, which is the submenu that has all the 4 options sections you'd actually expect to find in the Options menu.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    They're just being helpful, it's rare that I fire up a game and not go read its license again.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/new-world-rolls-back-eu-server-after-accidentally-showering-players-with-gold/
    Amazon Games has just rolled back New World's Central EU server by several hours after accidentally gifting a number of players up to 300,000 gold.

The rollback was announced after a lengthy maintenance period which saw the entire server pulled down a few hours after the gold was sent out. According to the development team, the compensation was originally being rolled out as a catch-up to those who lost gold through in-game tax.

"After our patch early this morning, a separate database modification in EU was executed to grant catch up funds for players affected by in-game tax losses since the November feature release," developer Lane wrote in a forum post. "This database change mistakenly granted very large sums not reflective of the intended amounts."

As to be expected, those who found themselves swimming in cash went ahead and spent it, "often buying large amounts of items off the trading post" according to Lane. While the team looked into ways to rectify the mistake, Lane said the only choice was to roll the server back to just before the database modification went live.

While the servers are now back up, the trading post has had to be disabled due to that particular database taking longer to update. "We are already in progress on this work but don't yet know the full time required," Lane explained. "Once complete, all of the contracts will be restored and the trading post will reopen. This will not require a patch but may need a brief restart."

Amazon Games said anyone who transferred just before the server downtime may be getting a "character_restore_failure" error right now, which the team is currently trying to fix.

Hahahaa, New World

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I am a sucker for space-shanties

now with an extended version!

https://youtu.be/oBL9dTwVi4I

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my ssd is only 100 gigs, I need a second one. I can only put total warhammer on it

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've got one really good 250gb Samsung EVO NVME as a boot drive, plus some critical programs, and then one 1tb Intel NVME that's technically lower-quality memory but perfectly adequate as a gaming install drive

Then I've got a 1tb Samsung SATA for media storage and lighter games (especially stuff like 2D indies) where load times are already negligible as a thing

2.25 TB seems like plenty for now, but I've got a fistful of upgrade slots in case it does really start to feel constraining - I'm pretty good about cleaning out games I'm not playing, but then I know I already avoid a couple I do enjoy like Vermintide or Halo MCC specifically for their 100+ GB install footprints, so it's tempting

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah I try not to get obsessed about numbers even though it feels really important when you're choosing expensive parts and you see lots of people on the internet talking about making the numbers go a tiny bit higher. I just have to remind myself that I am not an elite level tech nerd and probably wouldn't even notice the difference and I just need to make sure all the bits go together okay. Upgrading from a Flintstones computer pretty much any modern piece of kit is going to feel like NASA built it.

Edit: Well I just had to make 4 attempts to boot my PC and when it eventually did I got "Repairing Disk Errors" so I guess that's a clue that the HDD really might be buggered.

I just looked up the expected lifespan of a HDD and Google says 5-7 years. These are just over 10 so I guess they've done ok.

Edit2: Though I just ran that crystal disk thing and it says the health of both my drives is Good, so who fecking knows

What GPU did you go with.

I love

hardware

I'm sticking with my current Radeon RX 580 for now. I only bought it last year and GPUs are stupid expensive.

That's an excellent card so you made the right decision there.

I have @V1m to thank for that recommendation.

Currently using a 720p TV so the GPU is kind of going to waste. New monitor is the next thing on my wallet-hurting list.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    FYI, there's a good deal on Amazon now for Gamepass. The actual price on Amazon right now is $19.99 (not sure if was different when the tweet was originally made).

Source: Wario64
    Xbox Game Pass for PC - 3-Month Membership is $14.99 on Amazon http://amzn.to/38MnnXV

3-months for $1 from Microsoft (for non-subscribers) http://bit.ly/2ZGPcPI #ad

I can personally confirm that, if you have Gamepass Ultimate, Microsoft will automatically convert the code to 2 months of Ultimate (which is still a $10 savings of what you'd normally have to pay for 2 months).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have like two years banked up from buying my XSX via All Access, but every time I see these deals I still think "I could put some more time on there..."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    FYI, there's a good deal on Amazon now for Gamepass. The actual price on Amazon right now is $19.99 (not sure if was different when the tweet was originally made).

Source: Wario64
    Xbox Game Pass for PC - 3-Month Membership is $14.99 on Amazon http://amzn.to/38MnnXV

3-months for $1 from Microsoft (for non-subscribers) http://bit.ly/2ZGPcPI #ad

I can personally confirm that, if you have Gamepass Ultimate, Microsoft will automatically convert the code to 2 months of Ultimate (which is still a $10 savings of what you'd normally have to pay for 2 months).

Target has 3 months of Ultimate for $24.99.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/new-world-rolls-back-eu-server-after-accidentally-showering-players-with-gold/
    Amazon Games has just rolled back New World's Central EU server by several hours after accidentally gifting a number of players up to 300,000 gold.

The rollback was announced after a lengthy maintenance period which saw the entire server pulled down a few hours after the gold was sent out. According to the development team, the compensation was originally being rolled out as a catch-up to those who lost gold through in-game tax.

"After our patch early this morning, a separate database modification in EU was executed to grant catch up funds for players affected by in-game tax losses since the November feature release," developer Lane wrote in a forum post. "This database change mistakenly granted very large sums not reflective of the intended amounts."

As to be expected, those who found themselves swimming in cash went ahead and spent it, "often buying large amounts of items off the trading post" according to Lane. While the team looked into ways to rectify the mistake, Lane said the only choice was to roll the server back to just before the database modification went live.

While the servers are now back up, the trading post has had to be disabled due to that particular database taking longer to update. "We are already in progress on this work but don't yet know the full time required," Lane explained. "Once complete, all of the contracts will be restored and the trading post will reopen. This will not require a patch but may need a brief restart."

Amazon Games said anyone who transferred just before the server downtime may be getting a "character_restore_failure" error right now, which the team is currently trying to fix.

Hahahaa, New World

How does this game have any players?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    people like skinner boxes

also, the new hotness

Shorty on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Hahahaa, New World

it's actually pretty interesting when it isn't breaking every other day

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    For SSD life:

yt7qs5heuy1b.png

This is mine after close to 2 years (will be exactly 2 in Feb 2022). The 92% is the write life left.

I’ve had my laptop for 4 years now and I’ve abused the shit out of its 256gb SSD and it’s still at 100%.

• Options
    Also, the developers just randomly give out 300k gold to players, that's way more generous that other MMOs!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Hahahaa, New World

it's actually pretty interesting when it isn't breaking every other day

I'd argue it's pretty interesting because it's breaking every other day.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    they're lucky it's just technical stuff. some of the things people have weaponized against each other in new world is pretty horrific, a lot of the playerbase comes from gamergate/incel areas

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    its the most beautiful king ive ever seen

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    has anyone used this moonlight streaming thing? is it something you can use for extended periods or does it get too data heavy?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Apparently theHunter has a few large, beautiful maps and you can treat it as a walking simulator through nature. You also get a camera to take photos of the animals and scenery

Just in case anyone else, like me, needed a reason to grab an animal hunting game while it's free

You get two worlds, one of which is somewhere in the states: (edit: using resized version, oops)
    ctvtkXx.jpg?1
    and one is in Germany, if I remember correctly:
    Kj2a6pa.jpg

and you can wander around, and as long as you ignore the in-game tutorial keeping on nagging about "hey, you're being pretty loud, the animals will hear you and run away" it's a very pleasant walking-in-the-woods simulator. (there's other worlds but they're DLC)

That said, the free two-locales version is a 65gb install, which seems a bit excessive.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I have only played a little bit of Morrowind, and I bounced off the combat and the too-high waists. Oblivion and Skyrim are on sale - should I go for Oblivion first, or do I move on to Skyrim? I hear they're both excellent games, though, but not that connected.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I couldn’t play Oblivion longer than 45 minutes.

I have 500+ hours in Skyrim.

Although a LOT of Skyrim mods just broke on account of anniversary edition.

• Options
    It's hard to say, I have a friend who bounced off Skyrim who spent hundreds of hours in Oblivion. Personally I prefer Skyrim, but if the discount is good enough I'd say grab both and go with Oblivion first, worst case it'll make you appreciate the graphical advancements in Skyrim.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Both oblivion and Skyrim are on gamepass atm also

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Glal wrote: »
    It's hard to say, I have a friend who bounced off Skyrim who spent hundreds of hours in Oblivion. Personally I prefer Skyrim, but if the discount is good enough I'd say grab both and go with Oblivion first, worst case it'll make you appreciate the graphical advancements in Skyrim.

Don’t get me wrong, Skyrim’s combat sucks and I hate it, but broad strokes I think Oblivion’s is worse.

But stealth snipers virtually never get into combat and if you really want there are multiple combat and magic overhauls.

sarukun on
  • Options
    I don't really play these games for the combat, none of them are actually good at it, so one of them being Better for me is like putting lipstick on a pig. I play them for the "have a big world filled with content, do whatever you want as whomever you want!" RPG aspect, which they excel at.

Like, people argue FO4 had improved the gunplay over FO3, but for me 4 was such a downgrade in almost every aspect (and it's not like FO3 was that good to start with, New Vegas put its shortcomings into stark relief) that I bounced off it after 12 hours. It just felt like FO3, but worse, while adding nothing I cared for.

Frankly, Bethesda haven't released a single game I cared for since Skyrim, so my hopes for Starfield being any good are vanishingly small.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I don't really play these games for the combat, none of them are actually good at it, so one of them being Better for me is like putting lipstick on a pig. I play them for the "have a big world filled with content, do whatever you want as whomever you want!" RPG aspect, which they excel at.

Like, people argue FO4 had improved the gunplay over FO3, but for me 4 was such a downgrade in almost every aspect (and it's not like FO3 was that good to start with, New Vegas put its shortcomings into stark relief) that I bounced off it after 12 hours. It just felt like FO3, but worse, while adding nothing I cared for.

Frankly, Bethesda haven't released a single game I cared for since Skyrim, so my hopes for Starfield being any good are vanishingly small.

Different strokes for different folks and all. I loved Fallout and Fallout 2. FO3 never managed to grab me, but FO4 was one of the rare few I played through to the end. I don't know where we'll end up, but I'll keep pushing until the bitter end.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I always like to say that Bethesda gets my money because virtually nobody makes interesting RPGs any more. They do really have a spectacular modding community though. I started adding bits and pieces to FO4 just to dress up a character I wanted to play and discovered that people had managed to turn it into an interesting game.

The Outer Worlds was okay, I hope Avowed is good and a bit deeper.

sarukun on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Okay, Oblivion it is for now while the mods situation for Skyrim isn't clear - but looks like I can't really go wrong either way. Thanks chums!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    As someone with very fond memories of Oblivion, and put hundreds of hours into it, I recently went back to play it again and I couldn't stick with it. It's just so janky. But if you play it before Skyrim that probably won't bother you as much. And it is hilarious.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Tried out Exo One, a very Flower-esque game of navigating planets as an orb/disc that can alter its gravity at will.

I was really enjoying it, up until this asteroid belt level where I can see that they want me to slingshot around, but it's just kinda miserable and frustrating. Been a while since I've had a garbage tier level tank my interest in a game, it's a shame.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    sarukun wrote: »
    I always like to say that Bethesda gets my money because virtually nobody makes interesting RPGs any more.

First person open world? Sure. But there’s been something of an RPG renaissance which has resulted in the Pathfinder games, Divinity games, Pillars games, Wasteland games and lots of one offs like Tyranny and Solasta.

Interesting RPGs are kinda common these days.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    I always like to say that Bethesda gets my money because virtually nobody makes interesting RPGs any more.

First person open world? Sure. But there’s been something of an RPG renaissance which has resulted in the Pathfinder games, Divinity games, Pillars games, Wasteland games and lots of one offs like Tyranny and Solasta.

Interesting RPGs are kinda common these days.

I wanted very much to enjoy Pillars and I have been unable to get into it on like, 3 seperate attempts. I think I really just don't like isometric RPGS, I think a lot of the fun is in building a character and a lot of the character creation in those games is very basic. I did enjoy Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun stuff, but that's about the only series I've been able to stick to. I keep waffling on whether to try Divinity. I thought Tyranny looked interesting but after I failed with Pillars I decided to skip it. I have discovered I just missed the late 90s-early 2000s era RPGs, and therefore have no nostalgia to tap into for that style of game, and I think it makes me really demanding on those types of games and none of them have measured up to what I want from an RPG. Not that Bethesda has done worlds better, but the modders have been at it for close to a decade and there's some fun and so-so role-playing to be had.

I wish Inquisition hadn't been a more-boring single-player MMO, all I really wanted from Dragon Age was DA2 with more content and better environments.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The thing that killed Fallout 4 for me was the way that the conversation stuff was so truncated compared to previous games, likely due to voice acting for the protagonist.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    You're all making me want to play Oblivion again

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Pillars 2 is so much better than Pillars 1, it's nuts

• Options
    I bounced off Pillars 1, so I ignored the sequel (and the reviews I did see at the time said it was a worse game), and I never played the original, but I absolutely adored DOS2. It tickled that 4th Edition combat itch that has never been capitalised on and the way you could approach and solve problems in the world was a delight.

Not nearly as open as an Elder Scrolls game, but very good at feeling like it is. Also, I've seen people here complain about about Larian writing, but I couldn't disagree more, the writing is sharp as a dagger (unlike, say, Outer Worlds, which I found to be so incredibly bland. A couple of the companions were fun, but boy, that game was a whole lot of reheated nothing).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I want to like infinity engine style RPGs, but then I always try them and remember I just don't. Baldur's gate, dragon age origins, pillars 1, tyranny, bounced off them all. I got a bit further in planescape torment, perhaps near the end, and finished neverwinter nights, shadows of undrentide, a bunch of player-made modules for NWN1, and the vanilla campaign for NWN2. The player modules and shadows of undrentide were very good.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.