Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pillars 2 is so much better than Pillars 1, it's nuts

Don’t do this to meeeee! Gonna make me buy another game I’m not gonna like!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my first experience in pillars was saving a cate over a crew member, then telling the crew member's ghost that he was killed by a crate

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Oh man, Yakuza 3 (Remastered). I remember someone somewhere - can't remember if it was here or like on twitter or what - saying that 3 doesn't need a Kiwami update, it's a PS3/360-era game, the remaster is 1080p, it's fine! It's fine.

But that dude? They're a liar, and their pants are on fire.

This game is from the PS3 generation, I guess, but only in that sneaky technical way where someone who drives through Cambridge can say they "went to Cambridge" and leave the unstated implication hanging in the air. For something that apparently came out in 2009 it sure doesn't look anything like its contemporaries; it doesn't look like AssCreed 2, released the same year - it doesn't even look like Oblivion. It honestly looks, and plays, like a PS2-era title that they just uprezzed the textures on and removed some loading screens from.

I'm not a super graphics maven or anything but gosh I cannot get over Kiryu's boxy character model. He looks, in this, like a squat, ambulatory refrigerator box with a head, with a suit texture painted on. Some of the other characters fare better, and the cutscenes are of reasonable quality, but I just keep laughing as I move poor Kiryu around.

Of more serious concern, the controls are just really fuckin floaty (in that kind of PS2-y way) and the fights lack almost all of the kineticism and impact of the previous three installments so that might be an issue if this game is going to be really long and grindy; I'm going to be a lot less motivated to do lots of random battles and activities if it all is happening on this kind of level.

But like...I'm still playing it, right? Kiryu has retired to an orphanage on the beach of Okinawa and is taking care of some adorable moppets. There's a new town, and this time it's kind of a rural, touristy place, with a few tall buildings on its single main drag. If there's something I most consistently enjoy about this series, even over and above the narratives (since only 2/3 of the game narratives so far have really clicked for me) it's the sense of place, of getting to hang out in a virtual space where lots of fussy and loving attention has been paid not just to pushing polys and having the sharpest textures and the bloomiest light sources, but to conveying a vibe. And even in this way rougher presentation, the vibe of this new town is coming through loud and clear, and I want to explore it and hang out in it.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Yakuzakosh

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    this is what I do now, I've made my peace with it

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Yakuzakosh

I don't remember that Babylon 5 episode AT ALL

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    3 is definitely the roughest from a gameplay perspective.

Just... every fucking mook in that game is a master of defense and will constantly block damn near every combo you throw at them. You gotta constantly grab and dodge behind people to reliably get hits in.

I do love everything about the orphanage and I would 1000% play a game that is entirely about that. No crazy crime plot, but a game where the highest stakes are one of your kids having trouble at school or something. Just let me help those kids out.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    this is what I do now, I've made my peace with it

Have you played 7 or is that on the eventual horizon? Either way I'm curious about your thoughts on it; it made me a convert.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Yakuza 3 (Remastered). I remember someone somewhere - can't remember if it was here or like on twitter or what - saying that 3 doesn't need a Kiwami update, it's a PS3/360-era game, the remaster is 1080p, it's fine! It's fine.

This game is from the PS3 generation, I guess, but only in that sneaky technical way where someone who drives through Cambridge can say they "went to Cambridge" and leave the unstated implication hanging in the air. For something that apparently came out in 2009 it sure doesn't look anything like its contemporaries; it doesn't look like AssCreed 2, released the same year - it doesn't even look like Oblivion. It honestly looks, and plays, like a PS2-era title that they just uprezzed the textures on and removed some loading screens from.

I'm not a super graphics maven or anything but gosh I cannot get over Kiryu's boxy character model. He looks, in this, like a squat, ambulatory refrigerator box with a head, with a suit texture painted on. Some of the other characters fare better, and the cutscenes are of reasonable quality, but I just keep laughing as I move poor Kiryu around.

Of more serious concern, the controls are just really fuckin floaty (in that kind of PS2-y way) and the fights lack almost all of the kineticism and impact of the previous three installments so that might be an issue if this game is going to be really long and grindy; I'm going to be a lot less motivated to do lots of random battles and activities if it all is happening on this kind of level.

But like...I'm still playing it, right? Kiryu has retired to an orphanage on the beach of Okinawa and is taking care of some adorable moppets. There's a new town, and this time it's kind of a rural, touristy place, with a few tall buildings on its single main drag. If there's something I most consistently enjoy about this series, even over and above the narratives (since only 2/3 of the game narratives so far have really clicked for me) it's the sense of place, of getting to hang out in a virtual space where lots of fussy and loving attention has been paid not just to pushing polys and having the sharpest textures and the bloomiest light sources, but to conveying a vibe. And even in this way rougher presentation, the vibe of this new town is coming through loud and clear, and I want to explore it and hang out in it.

You know that guy who likes a really popular band and is weirdly gung-ho about an objectively-not-very-good minor album?

That's kinda me and Yakuza 3

It has clumsy, clunky gameplay. It has a story that only occasionally makes sense.

But I feel like it LOVES Yakuza, in all of its extremes. It doesn't just want Kiryu to have a big heart, it wants him to have the BIGGEST heart. It doesn't want the plot to have big implications, it wants the plot to have GLOBAL implications. It's so sincere that it overwhelms my innate cynicism

It's so goddamn tip-to-toe earnest that it's really high in my personal rankings. Of the Kiryu games, only 0 and 5 are higher for me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Spike Chunsoft and TooKyo Games Unveil New Project!
    Enigma Archives: RAIN CODE, a new dark fantasy mystery game, is being co-developed with Tookyo Games, the creative team behind the hit Danganronpa series. Details to be announced.

Teaser site:
    https://t.co/o27YvVCuGQ https://t.co/dEMxPQdjEW

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jacob you're trying to drag me off of Deathloop and back onto the Yakuza train (which I lost momentum on because FUCKIN CONTROLLER PROBLEMS) and I am there for it

MechMantis on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Yakuzakosh

I don't remember that Babylon 5 episode AT ALL

Grail, one of the more widely disliked episodes from the first season

:P

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I beat Inscryption a couple days ago but have continued replaying it to try for some more obscure achievements.

I'm really not an achievement hunter any more, I just enjoy the gameplay loop of it so much I don't want to let go of it just yet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

You know that guy who likes a really popular band and is weirdly gung-ho about an objectively-not-very-good minor album?

It has clumsy, clunky gameplay. It has a story that only occasionally makes sense.

But I feel like it LOVES Yakuza, in all of its extremes. It doesn't just want Kiryu to have a big heart, it wants him to have the BIGGEST heart. It doesn't want the plot to have big implications, it wants the plot to have GLOBAL implications. It's so sincere that it overwhelms my innate cynicism

It's so goddamn tip-to-toe earnest that it's really high in my personal rankings. Of the Kiryu games, only 0 and 5 are higher for me

I should give 3 another shot some day, because I was kind "meh" on it when it first came out, and I've never revisited it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    don't let him trick you!!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Stilts wrote: »

I should give 3 another shot some day, because I was kind "meh" on it when it first came out, and I've never revisited it.

I'm with Pooro, I'm a big Yakuza 3 fan, but I'll admit that part of it for me is nostalgia, since 3 was my first in the series and so all its idiosyncratic weirdness being amped to 11 really gave me a perfect picture of what Yakuza was. As someone who vibes with hard rock, it also has one of two best soundtracks in series too!

Plus the plot is also among the wildest bullshit Yakuza ever pulls and has the second-funniest twist in the entire series (to be fair I have not played 7)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    sdwHzdg.jpg

sometimes I wonder how I got here

this is not my beautiful house
    this is not my beautiful game

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    don't let him trick you!!!!

Probably accurate tbh

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    In the infinite multiverse both eventualities occur a infinite number of times. Intervention is futile.

I need to start me a TheStig quote book. I love picturing you saying stuff like this to your patients.

https://www.theonion.com/existentialist-firefighter-delays-3-deaths-1819571551
    SCHAUMBURG, IL—In an ultimately futile act some have described as courageous and others have called a mere postponing of the inevitable, existentialist firefighter James Farber delayed three deaths Monday.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Even after playing the remaster, Yakuza 3 is probably still my least favourite of the main series.

I still think it's great though.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    In the infinite multiverse both eventualities occur a infinite number of times. Intervention is futile.

I need to start me a TheStig quote book. I love picturing you saying stuff like this to your patients.

https://www.theonion.com/existentialist-firefighter-delays-3-deaths-1819571551
    SCHAUMBURG, IL—In an ultimately futile act some have described as courageous and others have called a mere postponing of the inevitable, existentialist firefighter James Farber delayed three deaths Monday.

I thought the link said Existentialist Firefighter 3 and thought it was some kind of videogame

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HlLhhBFlM

Craft and upgrade your gear to give your units a role. Units can continue to switch roles, depending on their equipment: Tanker, DPS, Healer, Worker, etc. Craft the most appropriate equipment to counteract the monsters who have gone crazy due to the unstable mana stream from destroying the village.

20211129 Meister 2 EA (Strategy RTS 3D Fantasy Managemen)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

#FIGHTKNIGHT IS COMING NOVEMBER 30th!!! Mark your dang calendars and wishlist the game on Steam!! Thank you everyone for your patience and support over the years. I'll be posting every day from now until release, so make sure to follow along to see!

FIGHT KNIGHT is a first-person dungeon brawler! Grid-based dungeon crawling meets action-packed real time enemy encounters! Fight your way through puzzles and enemies to save those trapped in the Tower's eternal night. Will YOU master the Tower and those who wait within?

20211130 Fight Knight (First Person Dungeon Brawler)

Been waiting for this for a few years since the Kickstarter, I'm pretty excited for it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Picked up Gordian Quest this weekend cause it was on sale and I figured by now there was enough of the EA stuff in place to be worth it.

And it is pretty good so far. I'm liking the combat (cards but with kind of a MegaMan Battle Network grid layout). The skill grid for leveling is neat, because as you spend skill points you unlock new tiers of grid, where you choose 1 from 3 available (each representing a deck specialty) and then you can choose where to place it relative to your current grids and it will link up. So you can finagle them to get to the fancy nodes sooner.

My main problem with it, is it does the thing I hate most in games where there's more recruitable people than will fit in your party; independent XP for all heroes. Meaning I'll never try anyone else cause they haven't been leveled.

FFX is still basically the gold standard handling of that, where unless they were gone for story reasons, any character could be swapped into the battle. And all they had to do was literally anything in order to get AP.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    This is kind of adorable:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/babylons-fall-borrowed-assets-from-final-fantasy-xiv

People noticed and were concerned about duplicated assets. Actual reasoning: Yoshi-P was like "hey, we can help out with this, we have tons of this and it'd be a shame to limit em to our game"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    given that XIV itself uses a lot of old assets, it's unsurprising

• Options

Our big 0.9 content update is OUT NOW!!

Come check out Pantsabear Hill, rollerskate around, and more! https://t.co/mcjGVYspXL

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Gripping my chair.

Resisting until v1.0

• Options

GFA Games, the maker of post-apocalyptic MMO with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibes called PIONER, announced that Tencent invested in the company, acquiring a minority stake in the process:

https://t.co/C4YMz7x5QL

#tencent #gamedev #gamedevelopment #pioner #stalker #gamesindustry https://t.co/DGNKTVyoGi

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://jalopnik.com/this-whole-metaverse-mega-yacht-nft-makes-me-want-to-di-1848131215
    This Whole Metaverse Mega Yacht NFT Makes Me Want To Die
    The Metaflower Super Mega Yacht just sold for $650,000 in The Sandbox virtual world
    QMvfZj0.png?1
    There it is. A yacht worth $650,000.Screenshot: The Sandbox
    That yacht might look OK on the PS1

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    God I wish I lacked ethics so I could grift like that

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    God I wish I lacked ethics so I could grift like that

Star Citizen, the highly ambitious PC space sim, surpasses $400 million in funding! 👏 https://t.co/CqBQthZ4Fb https://t.co/k3oQ0QcBYk

good news, everyone!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kill me now

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would absolutely grift people with NFTs if they weren't so environmentally damaging. Because the only people who would buy an NFT 100% deserved to get conned.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I am fairly convinced every time you hear about some shitty NFT "selling for a lot of money" and there's no obvious reason for the price (so every time) it's because it's someone running the "I'll give you a bunch of money to buy this from me for 95% of the money I just gave you to make it look like it's valuable and I can then sell it to a mark" scam

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    You don't even need a friend any more, you just open an anonymous wallet and make the exchange with yourself. I mean I guess that's technically easier for folks to spot by looking at public transactions if you just give "someone" $650k and then "they" immediately use that to buy $650k worth of nonsense off you, but that still seems to be a fairly common move.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I am fairly convinced every time you hear about some shitty NFT "selling for a lot of money" and there's no obvious reason for the price (so every time) it's because it's someone running the "I'll give you a bunch of money to buy this from me for 95% of the money I just gave you to make it look like it's valuable and I can then sell it to a mark" scam

Crypto and NFTs are heavily used for money laundering.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong delayed to May 19, 2022 https://t.co/G8RkJzkvM0 https://t.co/PYLLu5AbU2

swansong is not vampire bloodlines 2, the single player game

swansong is also not vampire bloodhunt, the weird free to play multiplayer Battle Royale vampire game

swansong is also also not the next text only vampire CYOA style game like Nightroad

apparently swansong is
    Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong is a narrative-driven, single-player role-playing video game[2] in which the player controls three vampires with different vampiric disciplines (abilities),[3][4] switching between them over the course of the game.[5] The player can customize the characters by choosing to upgrade their disciplines and character statistics to suit their preferred playstyle;[4] this influences character interaction and skills used while exploring the game world, such as picking locks and hacking computer terminals.[6] Because the player characters often are surrounded by humans, the player needs to be careful about when and where they choose to use supernatural abilities, to avoid revealing their characters' vampiric nature.[7]

and made by the team that made adventure-mystery The Council

anyway the game also doesn't seem to have any gameplay trailers yet so here's a cinematic one from a few months back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1sUQoUr28

maybe this will turn out okay, but right now it feels like White Wolf is really struggling to get any kind of game out the door, and marketing wise these are all kinda blending together for me

Brolo on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong is a narrative-driven, single-player role-playing video game in which the player controls three vampires with different vampiric disciplines (abilities), switching between them over the course of the game.
    Oh, it's a Lost Vikings-'em-up?

This discussion has been closed.