As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Part of my joy of infinity engine RPGs is to just bang the game on easy and embrace the roll playing power fantasy.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Jars wrote: »
    has anyone used this moonlight streaming thing? is it something you can use for extended periods or does it get too data heavy?

It’s a great client, but I mostly use it within the house. I can be upstairs playing something gpu intensive that the MacBook can’t handle.

It’s much better then Steam streaming in terms of video compression. The image quality and input lag are both improved.

It does use a fair amount of bandwidth though, normally I’m doing 2560x1600@60hz and I have it set at 65mbps.

You could prob have it at 1080p or 720p and really lower the bandwidth but it’s still data heavy.

Dixon on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Of the newer rpgs.

Torment has some fantastic writing and world building wrapped around some jank-ass combat.
    So, a very good spiritual sequel to Planescape.

Pillars 2 is hands down better than 1 and the clear successor to Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale. (I loved 1&2). Definitely read a quick guide on how the combat works and the base stats.

Wasteland 2 & 3 are the direct spiritual successors to Fallout 1 & 2, good and bad. Writing can be iffy and overall juvenile. Also the most old school 'you can make bad characters'.

Divinity 2 is leaps and bounds better than 1. They both have an inventory/ item reliance problem and the writing swings from generic to charming. Combat can be long. The game absolutely expects you to cheese stuff and rewards you for it.

Tyranny has good writing an a somewhat novel concept. The combat is love it or hate it but I enjoyed it well enough.

Solasta is d&d 5e. Take the good with the bad there. It's very simulationist and the writing bounces between passable to bad.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the secret to enjoying tyranny is to play a mage

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    With BG being "it's a story RPG with combat!" and IWD "it's a combat game, I guess story exists!", where does Pillars 2 land on that scale?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    closer to BG but fairly fluid on that scale in how you can play it

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My favorite isometric RPG from the last few years is Disco Elysium.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    the secret to enjoying tyranny is to play a mage

I actually went the opposite way because I felt like I could make a much better frontliner than what is provided.

But the magic system is very cool. I wish there was a little more to it, but still fun.

Edit - tyranny also does a nice thing where you gain either respect or hatred with all the factions as well as your companions. And you get bonuses either way. At certain stages of respect/friendship or hatred/fear you unlock exclusive abilities and bonuses. Nice to be rewarded instead of just punished or missing out. Especially for a game where it is basically impossible to keep everyone happy.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think I got into combat maybe only once or twice in Torment. Talked or puzzle-solved my way through the whole damn game

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Boy, do the GTAV writers need to be forbidden from using the n-word

• Options
    I have died a surprising number of times in Disco Elysium

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    My formula for enjoying Tyranny was to break the spell crafting system wide open, making progressively sillier and more powerful spells. Early game combat was a little tough because your tank isn't sticky enough yet to prevent all the baddies from running past and whomping on your squishy backliners. Eventually, though, the spell crafting system, if properly abused, allows for crazy 100' AoE spells that knockdown all your enemies at the start of combat and then maybe set them on fire or pound them with lightning for a bit while your melee folks start dispatching them. Very satisfying.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The Pathfinder games (Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous) deserve a mention. They are the best of the new wave at capturing the feeling of playing Baldur’s Gate.

Kingmaker was buggy on release and got patched into good shape. Wrath is a few months along in the same process.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Edit - tyranny also does a nice thing where you gain either respect or hatred with all the factions as well as your companions. And you get bonuses either way. At certain stages of respect/friendship or hatred/fear you unlock exclusive abilities and bonuses. Nice to be rewarded instead of just punished or missing out. Especially for a game where it is basically impossible to keep everyone happy.

Dragon Age 2 does a similar thing, and while it is inarguably better than just "Be nice to person for bonuses", it does also just end up becoming "Decide whether you're going to be nice or not to this character and do not deviate from that"

• Options
    I am a sucker who wants to be nice to everybody in these games.

Except for the fascists.

• Options
    Forgot about pathfinder. Pathfinder definitely can be a fun time, however it is hands down the game that I will say you absolutely must read guides and explanations. It holds true to the book rules enough that making an absolute dogshit character on accident due to trap choices is reasonably likely.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I have died a surprising number of times in Disco Elysium

Who knew retrieving a tie was so hazardous?

• Options
    Hopefully saying, "I want to make fuck with you" won't backfire on me in the future

• Options
    Hopefully saying, "I want to make fuck with you" won't backfire on me in the future

Ah. Playing the Berserker subclass

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 lately and while it is definitely improved in both writing and gameplay from the first one, I'm in the tail end of it and the story just gets so absolutely boring.

Just let me play a petty little person with petty little goals. You give me these great premade characters with neat stories but then everything has to become reckoning with gods and the fate of the universe and I just want to actively reject that journey so bad, I just want to murder the man who made me his assassin-slave and then retire to a nice life in the country.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Thumped the Illusionary corrupted monk in Sekiro, finally. Resorted to just abusing snap seeds, firecrackers and ash to the face to chain stunlock her.

Very, very amused that Sekiro can justl earn stuff by reading, so he's like "oh, so that's how you breathe underwater forever. Pretty easy". Like mate, that's all it took to solve things?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Thumped the Illusionary corrupted monk in Sekiro, finally. Resorted to just abusing snap seeds, firecrackers and ash to the face to chain stunlock her.

There's no abusing anything in Sekiro, just using your tools.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 lately and while it is definitely improved in both writing and gameplay from the first one, I'm in the tail end of it and the story just gets so absolutely boring.

Just let me play a petty little person with petty little goals. You give me these great premade characters with neat stories but then everything has to become reckoning with gods and the fate of the universe and I just want to actively reject that journey so bad, I just want to murder the man who made me his assassin-slave and then retire to a nice life in the country.

you can at least tell the gods to fuck off constantly

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Tried out Exo One, a very Flower-esque game of navigating planets as an orb/disc that can alter its gravity at will.

I was really enjoying it, up until this asteroid belt level where I can see that they want me to slingshot around, but it's just kinda miserable and frustrating. Been a while since I've had a garbage tier level tank my interest in a game, it's a shame.

This was definitely the hardest level; I got past it with the same speed-up=through-valleys mechanism as everywhere else, though it was definitely more annoying there because I had to learn the shape of the second asteroid to know what was coming up (where on the other levels I could just look forwards to see where the next dip would be). Apparently the recent update "adds more geysers" on that level which should make it easier? Not sure, I haven't tried that version of it myself because apparently there's a level chooser coming up so then I can skip to that one.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah but that's a bit hollow when you still gotta keep doing their shit for them

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah but that's a bit hollow when you still gotta keep doing their shit for them

absolutely fair, but it's still cathartic to tell a bunch of divine babies to eat shit

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    its the most beautiful king ive ever seen
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    okay i gotta ask, why the heck does that flag have a piast dynasty crest over the russian naval flag?

what kind of abomination is that?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    okay i gotta ask, why the heck does that flag have a piast dynasty crest over the russian naval flag?

Bearly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun playing a character in tyranny with a javelin and shield. the throwing abilities are pretty great, and there's a very fitting ability from the rebel path as well

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    its the most beautiful king ive ever seen
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

To get wotjek you have to keep turning down kings till a woman saying she's anatasia romanov shows up and make her the king

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

I really enjoyed Divinity Original Sin 2 a lot, but the story, especially the side stories, tended towards grim dark worst scenario that it stopped losing its impact really quick. I would just start thinking of the worst way something could end and more often than not I was right.

I also felt the gear scaling was a little silly, as it ramps up to the point why by the endgame equipment that is even a level lower than your level becomes obsolete due to how much the numbers increase.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That game let me blow a sex worker's mind as a skeletal lizard and that's frankly a bar of This Feels Like Actual Tabletop that few RPGs manage to hit. Even back in the old days CRPGs were bad at actually conveying what a TTRPG (that they were based on) session felt like, and that's not gotten any better now that RPG just means "numbers go up".

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I feel like in Divinity 2 the actual scenario character interaction writing is pretty good, but the larger worldbuilding is pretty bad.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah I just never clicked with the world or the characters of anyone outside of the main cast despite finding the game pretty enjoyable. I felt like my actual goal was always "circle the map exploiting available resources in the right order to complete quests" rather than actually having a goal of you know finding the dastardly so-and-so.

I mean it's still absolutely a top RPG for the amount that it allows you to do, but one of the reasons I'm excited for Baldur's Gate 3 is that I just think "Invasion by Mindflayers" seems like a cooler setting than the Sourcerer stuff.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Does GTAV ever explain the driving controls more like how to turn without spinning out and the like because the cars feel kind of terrible to control and I have no clue if that is just because I don't really know how to turn

• Options
    There's a lot of Divinity that feels like a digital version of a D&D game to me, but I do not intend that as a compliment.

A lot of it is like, the idea of the weirdly permissive GM who will let you use your utility spells to do literally anything if you can come up with a half decent explanation as to how that might work. Which like, I get, I love those stories of beating a campaign villain with the right application of Grease, but when it gets coded into the game you end up with things still feeling weirdly rigid while also wanting you to come up with the "creative" solution.

• Options
    Does GTAV ever explain the driving controls more like how to turn without spinning out and the like because the cars feel kind of terrible to control and I have no clue if that is just because I don't really know how to turn

The gta games went from really fun to drive to suddenly absolute shit in 5

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes I just want to resolve a combat encounter by using overwhelming firepower

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Tried out Exo One, a very Flower-esque game of navigating planets as an orb/disc that can alter its gravity at will.

I was really enjoying it, up until this asteroid belt level where I can see that they want me to slingshot around, but it's just kinda miserable and frustrating. Been a while since I've had a garbage tier level tank my interest in a game, it's a shame.

This was definitely the hardest level; I got past it with the same speed-up=through-valleys mechanism as everywhere else, though it was definitely more annoying there because I had to learn the shape of the second asteroid to know what was coming up (where on the other levels I could just look forwards to see where the next dip would be). Apparently the recent update "adds more geysers" on that level which should make it easier? Not sure, I haven't tried that version of it myself because apparently there's a level chooser coming up so then I can skip to that one.

I'm on Xbox and didn't see any geysers so I assume that's coming soon. Good to know, I can shelve it temporarily, although I was trying to make it a one-sitting game, alas.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    This is the steam update for Exo One -- I don't know how those correspond to xbox updates, though.
    added geysers to Comet surface since a somewhat large number of people were getting stuck

and more tweaks on the beta channel:
    Coronides, adjusted vents on main rock, added vents on final small rock, made level slightly easier as many players finding incredibly difficult

This discussion has been closed.