As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

19596979899101»

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

They secretly played D&D at every cabinet meeting.

Gove was a half-Orc warlock.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Until a patch nerfed dot scaling and then he created failthereum?

• Options
    If the thread must end….

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ok I guess watching the Tory party tear itself apart because it elected a psychotic narcissist could be fun over the next week or so.

I’ll have the main bbc news page up at work, just hitting refresh every 15 mins or so, just to see what’s happening now, as his little circle of supporters gets smaller and smaller.

I’m also hoping for some classic Nadine Doris craziness.

I’m anticipating a 3am drunken instagram video where she screams at people to leave Boris alone.

I’m also honestly fascinated with what she’ll do when he finally goes.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    BBC reporter.

Is he demanding they perform an exorcism or something? What does this even mean? He is, as they say, having a very normal one.

Dipping their hands in Caesars blood (after betraying and murdering him) is a Shakespeare quote I think

Of course he quotes Shakespeare and of course he casts himself as Caesar in the play.

Its the kind of snobby elitist thing that screams I went to Eton and Oxford and studied the "classics"

Never mind that Shakespeare is the popular canon of western culture and Caesar is one of his most popular plays. Making the quote the equivalent of some Philosophy 101 acting like he is the first guy to have read The Republic.

Also the play may not frame it that way, but history proves Brutus was right, Caesar was trying to make himself king, if not in name then certainly with the powers of one. He was already turning the position of Dictator from a temporary elected one used in times of crisis to a permanent one with himself as the sole officer holder. Its telling that Kaiser and Tsar, the German and Russian word for Emperor, both derive from his name.

Brutus did nothing wrong!
    (except making Julius Caesar a martyr).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    I mean, even if the 1922 committee changes the rules, and he loses a second VONC - does he have to leave? Is there an actual mechanism to remove the PM if he refuses to resign? Or is it all based on assumed norms and behaviors?

A variation on that question - what happens if they vote him out, and just leaves the Tory party ?

Can he just become an Independent PM ?

Or would it automatically trigger an election ?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i assume at some point down the constitutional crisis chain the conservative mps would write a letter to the queen asking her to dissolve parliament

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I mean, even if the 1922 committee changes the rules, and he loses a second VONC - does he have to leave? Is there an actual mechanism to remove the PM if he refuses to resign? Or is it all based on assumed norms and behaviors?

A variation on that question - what happens if they vote him out, and just leaves the Tory party ?

Prime minister is the leader of the party with the most seats in the HoC so I don't think he can just refuse to stop being prime minister even after a no confidence vote goes against him.

Granted "I don't think he can do that" hasn't stopped him in the past.

sig.gif
  • Options

They’re the department for lying about investing in the North, to win a lot of seats last election, then failing to deliver on anything.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Michael "the Snake" Gove, of the Two White Towers.

Though I also like the parable of the snake and toad.

Once upon a time there lived several creatures on a river bank. One day it rained and rained and all their burrows would be drowned. Sensing peril the snake bit the toad, saying "Lol, remember when I did this before just as you thought you were going to cross that river",
    "You fucking fuck! Again! Choke on my poisonous flesh!" said the Toad, suffocating the snake to death as the waters rose.

There should be a morale to this story, but this isn't the kind of Government for that kind of thing.

Sorry, I meant to say that the Department for Levelling Up is the Government's Flagship post Brexit policy. Bringing the same infrastructure and opportunity that London has to the more Northern cities as a benefit of Brex..ah I'm choking on racid toadflesh and can't breathe.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Unconfirmed reports that Larry the cat has resigned.

m1iy1aaxg458.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Well I guess at least we got our free trade deal with y'all done before the Trade Envoy resigned.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Unconfirmed reports that Larry the cat has resigned.

m1iy1aaxg458.jpg

That is obviously fake. Larry is a civil servant. You know one of those that actually does the work in Number 10.

He was there when BoJo arrived and he will see him off when he leaves.

And if has left a dead mouse in his teacup and a poo in his slippers well that is just Larry providing a progress report on rodent extermination and waste removal policy.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Well I guess at least we got our free trade deal with y'all done before the Trade Envoy resigned.

To be fair, it would be entirely par for the course if there were some issue with that paperwork, and now everything about the agreement is invalid due to something nonsensical.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »

To be fair, it would be entirely par for the course if there were some issue with that paperwork, and now everything about the agreement is invalid due to something nonsensical.

Hope there was a suitable Errors and Omissions (“Grayling”) clause

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Free trade in 30mins, or your order is (tax) free from what I remember of Graylings signature fine print.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

The PM serves at the Queen's pleasure. By convention, she picks the person who commands the confidence of parliament. If that person loses a vote of no confidence, they don't have the confidence of parliament. The Queen then picks someone who she believes could command the confidence of parliament (which could happen if the Conservatives pick a new interim leader) or, if that person doesn't exist, she can dissolve parliament in order to hold a general election to find that person.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No new thread until BoJo is gone!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Interregnum is definitely a thing but probably wouldn't have any real effect in the UK where the Queen doesn't actually do anything and where the secession is well known and already planned.

:s

My very American Autocorrect

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    No new thread until BoJo is gone!

The British Government can remain irrational longer than the thread can remain solvent.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    My vote is still on Johnson staying PM for an improbable amount of time afterwards, after which he holes himself up in 10 Downing Street and is forcibly taken from the place. As he’s dragged away, he’ll be in a continuous, nonsensical, unhinged rant about how he’ll never step down and nobody can make him leave and all of this is so unfair, etc. And for the next Tory in charge to be someone equally as batshit. And then the Tories win the next election.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    well i mean if the tories all resign from the boris party we can simply step in and become the new tories

boris doesnt care about policy we just do what we want so long as we ok as many flat renovations as he wants

opportunity knocks...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »
    The PM serves at the Queen's pleasure. By convention, she picks the person who commands the confidence of parliament. If that person loses a vote of no confidence, they don't have the confidence of parliament. The Queen then picks someone who she believes could command the confidence of parliament (which could happen if the Conservatives pick a new interim leader) or, if that person doesn't exist, she can dissolve parliament in order to hold a general election to find that person.

An example from Canadian politics: back in 2008, the country had been under a Conservative minority government (the Tories had the most seats, but less than 50%). The Liberals and NDP came to an agreement to form a coalition government, with the support of the Bloc Québécois. They informed the Governor General (Canadian stand-in for the Queen), and scheduled a non-confidence vote. If the vote had happened, MPs from the Liberals, NDP, and Bloc would have voted non-confidence in the current government, and the Governor General would have asked someone else to try to form a government. (They would have asked the Liberal party leader, as they had the stated support of over 50% of the House of Commons.)

(Unfortunately in that example, the Tories called for an emergency prorogue of Parliament, and then ran a propaganda blitz during the recess that successfully convinced the Canadian electorate that it was some sort of nefarious coup.)

In the case of Johnson, if Conservatives remove him as party leader he's still PM until such time as the House of Commons holds a non-confidence vote. At such time, he'd be out, and whoever the new party leader was would be asked to form a government.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022

these numbers should be fatal assuming basic logic

in principle makes 1922 committee job v easy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh good, all conservatives need is principle. That doesn't bode for anything...

• Options
    edited July 2022
    i meant more the principle of "assuming cons always do cowardly thing" i would never dare imply a conservative politician has a principle, consistent ideology, single thought imbued with clarity etc

i recall a wag commenting "in the cabinet a shiver is looking for a spine to run down"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Re; Johnson and Tory resignations - I am skimming news articles and this thread, but what's been the catalyst for all this? Seems quite random at a glance compared to the last bunch of years. Is it the 100billion pounds a year story?

Fantastic
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Re; Johnson and Tory resignations - I am skimming news articles and this thread, but what's been the catalyst for all this? Seems quite random at a glance compared to the last bunch of years. Is it the 100billion pounds a year story?

The straw that broke the camel’s back was ostensibly the handling of Pincher. Lying to avoid responsibility, trotting colleagues out to repeat the lie on the media circuit, and then having the lie exposed with evidence within hours. AGAIN.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »

It's the straw breaking the camel's back. Eight months of stories about Tory corruption and sleeze and disregard for rules, chiefly reports of socially intimate parties during Covid, and the public has expressed their displeasure in byelections. Boris had promised this was the end of it and he'd turn things around. Then it cam out he knew about and didn't act on allegations of one of his whips' sexual harrassment. So most of the party have concluded he'll never change and the next election will be a disaster if he's around.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I presume Zelensky will be getting the aircraft carriers out of this

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I presume Zelensky will be getting the aircraft carriers out of this

Boris will be advising him on how to write his letter of last resort

This discussion has been closed.