As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Discussion] V back for Vengeance (Lilith's after the throne)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm just started.

So far

Exploration. Great.
    QoL changes. Great
    Combat. Honestly mostly the same. Serviceable but wish it was shaken up more.
    Story. Umm...I dunno. I was told to go to a Tower and I've been going to that tower.

So pretty much a modernized take on the SMT formula.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    And yeah, the framerate is dog shit but what can you expect from two GameCubes glued together?

I thought that was the Wii?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Man I've been having a pretty easy time of clearing through optional content, beating bosses above my level. And then I come across:
    Khonsu Ra. Who pretty much goes "Hey fuck off."

Like sure I'm only level 74 and he's like 84 but damn.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Gundi wrote: »
    Man I've been having a pretty easy time of clearing through optional content, beating bosses above my level. And then I come across:
    Khonsu Ra. Who pretty much goes "Hey fuck off."

Like sure I'm only level 74 and he's like 84 but damn.

I just had that happen to me as well. I'm going to have to find a spot to grind I think. I'm the same level, but I've run out of l side quests to do so I have to figure out where I can get another few levels before I take the 15 19 gospels (did another round of hunting down mitamas) I'm holding onto to hit 99.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh thank God not-Navi can find stat increase balms for the Nahobino, I was concerned about how inflexible stat distribution was going to be.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Cleared the game in about 75 hours. Loved it. Loved the gameplay, loved the platforming, loved the music, loved some of the visuals, loved the premise.

I especially like how Essences make it easy to customise your favourite demons to your like. They're abundant enough that you can easily afford to spend them, but not quite so abundant that you can go absolutely crazy with them.

But this game also pretty flawed. The premise is great, but the story does far too little with it. Some areas seem designed with random encounters in mind, which this game doesn't have.

Also, I had so many Grimoires cluttering up my inventory that I decided to take Yakshini all the way to the final boss. This turned out to be completely feasible. So that was neat.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Murakamo!
    Is straight up Rough Divide from FF8 YESS!

Feeling really strong in this 4th area. My builds and team set-ups are all coming together. Just need to unlock my final demons and move all my skills over and then we will be GOD MODE.

• Options
    For some reason I misremembered the Cleopatra DLC as being level 80~ so I kind of just forgot about it until now but it's only low 60s. Maybe it was because the first time I encountered it she one-shot the whole team and I just put it off too long.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    A big tip for the previously mentioned boss I was having trouble with:
    Khonsu Ra is actually significantly less dangerous if you lead his adds alive. Without them he eventually startings going from "charge" to unleashing his super attack pretty frequently. With them they'll usually waste one of his turns with a miss or absorb/null/reflect and he won't be able to get it off. Once I figured that out I beat him on the try after without having to level up.

Shiva though, fuccccck. You actually need to be like 99 for him huh?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    In SMTV, I died to those slime guys right at the beginning. I got the impression the guy I merged with was disappointed. That was a weird death scene.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Khonsu Ra is actually significantly less dangerous if you lead his adds alive. Without them he eventually startings going from "charge" to unleashing his super attack pretty frequently. With them they'll usually waste one of his turns with a miss or absorb/null/reflect and he won't be able to get it off. Once I figured that out I beat him on the try after without having to level up.

I saw someone beat him on hard at level 82 but it was one of those "I already know how the fight goes and I have a setup specifically for it" deals.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Has anyone else encountered a glitch where your character gets stuck and can't free himself? This happened to me just once, at the very beginning of the game, when there's a crowd around the scene of the killing at a subway. I got locked into this bench and no jumping/turning/running could escape it. Had to reload the game. I was afraid this would be a repeated problem (though with Return Ladder it wouldn't be as big a deal), but thankfully it hasn't happened since.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright so I decided to go my own way with my almighty build.

I decided that hey, between omi crits you only have 1 or two active turns that matter. So I decided why not use both Freikugal AND Murakamo?

Freikugal with bonus crit chance skills for those few turns between omi crits which has a pretty good chance to crit on it's own and murakamo when it's guranteed. Almost all of the math I see people doing for this completely ignores this aspect and just compares them going off normally turn after turn which doesn't seem to quite be reality.

Every so often with critical aura I was getting turns where in order to get back around to my MC I had to skip someone else's turn or end up in a situation where someone else missed and I had a wasted critical aura on an omi crit turn. Which felt like just lost damage that just using frekugal alone would make up for.

Plus if the first freikugal crits that's an extra press turn I'm getting that I could never get if I'm using critical aura.

Not saying it's better but it feels less finicky and it's fun using two different attacks pending the situation instead of just one.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The Murakumo Crit Aura build is nothing if not consistent. It goes like clockwork every round unless you need the MC to use an item or something. Feels very similar to good old Charge every round style, but also has the needed extra half-turn built in. I don't think I'll use it much.

There's two demons, one unlocked in NG+ though, that seem tailored for the latter fight.

• Options
    The superboss fights on hard seem like you want to bring a tailor-made team of demons using six or seven passives to maximize survivability and enhance their select one or two active skills they'll use instead of your swiss army demon core that can take on the world regardless of what comes their way.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Course now Demi Fiend has been killed in like two turns on Hard

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

I'm too low level for that fight so far. It started, he went first and just one shot the team.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ahahahahahaha i just got freaking Metatron through a fusion accident. I do not think I've ever been so lucky through a fusion accident.

Also a tip for the super boss.
    Remember accursed poison? The megatushi skill that can give any status effect that an enemy is not immune to, prioritizing seal? Shiva is not immune to seal. It's a skill you can get on avian type demons.

The boss is still real hard and you'll need a ton of mana restoring items, but it's a lot more doable.

Gundi on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    WHOOOOO
    I beat Shiva at level 90!

My party was Nabohino, Odin/Metatron, (I alternated Odin for Metatron halfway through the fight because Odin ran out of MP and my MP restoring items were more needed elsewhere), Huang Long (Mediarahan,Luster Candy), and Mada (Debilate/Mediarahan).

I also used Garuda but only because it was an Avian. I would use Nabuhino's turn to switch in Garuda, use accursed poison with Garuda, then switch Garuda back out for whoever I switched them with all in the same turn. Garuda was only lvl 70.

Gundi on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Is there a gimmick, or just really broken builds?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I do not have the dlc and have not checked but if I had to guess, given that the "canon" Demifiend build is heavy physical... probably using reflect physical destroys him?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I do not have the dlc and have not checked but if I had to guess, given that the "canon" Demifiend build is heavy physical... probably using reflect physical destroys him?
    Nah, he's got pierce effects to get around that, or so I would assume.

The version I saw (which took six minutes, but actually the majority of that was waiting) involves a lineup of strength-heavy demons all equipped with Endure (Endure, not Enduring Soul), some kind of "more effective on crit" attack, the appropriate Pleromas, and the crit-boosting passives, and then fishing for his massive hit-all attack to occur on the end of a turn while you're buffed and he's debuffed, and then triggered Omagatoki: Adversity. Then just bury him in 10k+ crits. I suspect the two-turn version gets lucky with him cooperating with the setup faster.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A little of both?

Like, it is a pretty broken interaction, but they line it up with multiple demons by abusing Demi-Fiend's AI

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A little of both?

Like, it is a pretty broken interaction, but they line it up with multiple demons by abusing Demi-Fiend's AI
    Oh god, the bastards brought back his DDS menagerie. (AND HE CAN USE THREE)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Beat the game. Beating Shiva makes the end game seem like kind of a joke.
    Did the "make a world for humans" ending. I probably would have gone for "destroy the throne", but having gone through the headaches to get the hidden ending I felt a pull to select it.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Wow that's quite the Essence you've got there
    Amanozako. The resistances are great but the potential need to switch to cover fire and ice weaknesses means I gotta go with the skills. Is Almighty Pieroma worth the slot? Gonna have to hold off on using it until I can get that last skill swap because I'm very reluctant to lose one of these abilities. Except the unique. Counter droping attack is nice and all but I can see that backfiring.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Amanozako. The resistances are great but the potential need to switch to cover fire and ice weaknesses means I gotta go with the skills. Is Almighty Pieroma worth the slot? Gonna have to hold off on using it until I can get that last skill swap because I'm very reluctant to lose one of these abilities. Except the unique. Counter droping attack is nice and all but I can see that backfiring.
    Almighty is the best general purpose Str build for Nahobino, so if you're Str you'll likely want both Almighty Pleromas

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

If you're going for a Strength Build, Almighty Pleroma is pretty good.
    One of the Nahobino's better unique skills - Murakumo - is a Strength-based Almighty skill.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Magic actually. While it seems STR Nahobinos got a lot of neat toys I've been enjoying the elemental exploits of a Magic Nahobino plenty so I guess I'll lean into the elements and steer clear of almighty.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Nahobino's unique Mag-skills lean more towards "economical" than "powerful", but at least they're neat-looking. He does have a Mag-based Almighty, and it's a little bit stronger than Megidola for half the MP, and a little bit weaker than Megidolaon for like less than a third of the MP.

I saw a japanese player deal 99999 damage to a Preta with Dream Fist lol

PLA on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Oh hey we have all the damage numbers for skills now!

Also interesting info from that, skills that do more critical damage don't actually have a higher crit multiplier! They just get a higher base damage when they crit. Interesting way to do that!

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/skills

All listed in the effect tab if you ever want to directly know if one skill will do more damage than another and compare the multi-hits vs single hits.

And yea if you are an almighty or phy build the pleromas are great. The standard is +20% damage and the Higher is +40% damage and they stack. So you deffo want those.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    And yea if you are an almighty or phy build the pleromas are great. The standard is +20% damage and the Higher is +40% damage and they stack. So you deffo want those.

Wait, they stack? Well shoot, now I have to rethink a couple of builds.

• Options
    Cookie cutter Str build is basically
    Murakumo, Critical Aura, Critical Zealot, Almighty Pleroma, High Almighty Pleroma, Abyssal Mask, Enduring Soul, and one flex skill

Depending on how much you like to live on the edge you can drop Mask/Soul for something else

• Options
    I decided to commit to the stupid thing, pulled Yoshitsune out of storage and pumped him full of as many Battle Sutras, Grimoires, and Essences as he could handle (Phys Pleroma, Restore, High Restore, and Critical Zealot being the key accessories at this point; I haven't wanted to spend the only Essence I have with High Phys Pleroma on him yet but the results are making a strong argument...). Based on the numbers in that chart, Hassu Tobi totals 240 base damage, which isn't as good as some of the highest-end physical moves, but at +9 Physical Proficiency it costs 35 MP to use, which after the guaranteed Restore returns means it costs a net 5 MP to use it. That 240 power doesn't take into account the guaranteed damage boost from critical, and the value of just having a move that always hands an extra press turn to the next guy in line. His biggest drawback is that he has a mid-game resistance array, which is to say, he basically doesn't have any resistances.

But he's pretty much single-handedly broken through all the mid-to-late Area 4 bosses, so yeah. Dude makes a great all-purpose face-beater.

• Options
    Hassou Tobi is actually fairly competitive with other options if you consider that you never need to use Critical Aura

If you figure Myriad Slashes is the actual strongest option at 5x80 but absolutely requires Critical Aura due to the low hit rate,

Myriad Slashes is 800 power after Critical Zealout+Critical Aura, but requires two turns

Hassou Tobi is 480 power with Critical Zealot but can be done every turn

The problem arises in certain specific situations where Hassou Tobi's random targeting can cause problems, and the fact that Hassou Tobi can still miss

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Alice's voice is perfect.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Y'all know how the SMTV protag keeps his flatulence in check?

Nahobean-o.

Kupi on
  • Options
    Oh a cool little detail that I don't know if we've discussed in here.

Aogami spoilers below.
    Knowing that Aogami is a protofiend of Susano-o explains the protags hair. Susano-o is always portrayed in SMT as having long flowing hair and usually with a long sword in his right hand. He's also a god of the sea and storms which further explains the MC design of having the flowing swirls on his body and having starting off with the Zio spell. Super cool that that all comes together!

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Oh a cool little detail that I don't know if we've discussed in here.

Aogami spoilers below.
    Knowing that Aogami is a protofiend of Susano-o explains the protags hair. Susano-o is always portrayed in SMT as having long flowing hair and usually with a long sword in his right hand. He's also a god of the sea and storms which further explains the MC design of having the flowing swirls on his body and having starting off with the Zio spell. Super cool that that all comes together!
    Oh yeah, the trailers were shock-full of spoilers, everything about the guy screams Susan, including rare phrasing.

PLA on