As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Discussion] V back for Vengeance (Lilith's after the throne)

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    On the subject of Aogami
    I'm guessing since Aogami was mass produced then all the numbered essences we find around the place are the remains of the other models taken down during the battle 20 years ago.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Oh a cool little detail that I don't know if we've discussed in here.

Aogami spoilers below.
    Knowing that Aogami is a protofiend of Susano-o explains the protags hair. Susano-o is always portrayed in SMT as having long flowing hair and usually with a long sword in his right hand. He's also a god of the sea and storms which further explains the MC design of having the flowing swirls on his body and having starting off with the Zio spell. Super cool that that all comes together!
    Oh yeah, the trailers were shock-full of spoilers, everything about the guy screams Susan, including rare phrasing.

Oh dang. Yea I didn't watch any of the story trailers so I didn't know how spoiler heavy they were haha.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Y'all know how the SMTV protag keeps his flatulence in check?

Nahobean-o.

Mudobarion

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    After accruing a Law alignment by answering as came naturally, I decided (extremely begrudgingly) to do the Law ending for the various alignment-matches-your-decision bonuses, with the intent to do NG+ runs to see the other endings. Since Chaos has its own bonuses, I'm starting out with that one, and toward that goal I've taken the responses that make me look like an egocentric jackass, and failing that, just picking the opposite of what I went with last time. My icon had a counterclockwise spin by the time I left Area 1.

I find this sort of disappointing because it suggests that Chaos is less of a philosophy and more of a personality defect.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    That has oft been a problem in the series. Even when chaos is not portrayed exclusively as "be an ass" option with characters and larger narrative beats, in games with alignment determined by dialogue options... most of the chaos options involve just being kind of an ass.

The alignment system's implementation is always kind of a mess. It's either super abstracted with dialogue options that can pigeonhole into going a certian way or alternatively has a bunch of silly inscrutable minutiae to it. (Usually it's the first one, but there is at least one game that has nine alignments.)

• Options
    Hard mode clear of the super boss and then the game. :) Overall pretty glad I went into it on hard mode and stuck through because once you get into about 1/3 of the game and actually have a more established team it stops being so damn mean to you.

Spoilers on the superboss
    Shiva is charmable! I landed a charm and he wasted 2 press turns on it :D Everyone being level 90+ with Abyssal Mask, Great Life Spring, and no weaknesses plus some Phys Nulls on those you can spare it on made the fight manageable, and that's all that really matters.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Game defeated.

I had such a busted strong team at the end I was beating bosses in the final dungeon before they even got a single turn. Granted this was after doing the super boss so that makes sense. Was quite fun!

• Options
    So, apparently having spent 110 hours and three NG+ runs to see all the endings wasn't enough SMTV to satisfy me, and against my better judgment I decided to dive right into a challenge run that I'd been wanting to test out: if you turn the difficulty down to Casual, can the Nahobino take the game on by himself?

I'd like to thank the Hydra for keeping this idea from going any farther than it needed to.
    Though admittedly I engaged the (level 15) Hydra well below the recommended level at level 11 (since gaining levels as a lone Nahobino is so tiring), and it actually feels like it would have been doable if I'd bought the Counter Incentive Miracles and brought full stacks of Ice Gems and Medicine. I managed to get it down to the second phase by hitting it with something ice-element and popping a Medicine to undo whatever damage I took last turn, with Magatsuhi Critical Bestial Bites whenever a lucky miss left me at full health being the bulk of my damage. But it landed a critical hit with Rampage and killed me on the third attack, which combined with just how many misses I'd seen in the battle up to that point leaves me feeling that it's all down to luck in the last phase of the fight, which, woof.

I'll leave that particular challenge to the neurotics.

• Options
    So, apparently having spent 110 hours and three NG+ runs to see all the endings wasn't enough SMTV to satisfy me, and against my better judgment I decided to dive right into a challenge run that I'd been wanting to test out: if you turn the difficulty down to Casual, can the Nahobino take the game on by himself?

I'd like to thank the Hydra for keeping this idea from going any farther than it needed to.
    Though admittedly I engaged the (level 15) Hydra well below the recommended level at level 11 (since gaining levels as a lone Nahobino is so tiring), and it actually feels like it would have been doable if I'd bought the Counter Incentive Miracles and brought full stacks of Ice Gems and Medicine. I managed to get it down to the second phase by hitting it with something ice-element and popping a Medicine to undo whatever damage I took last turn, with Magatsuhi Critical Bestial Bites whenever a lucky miss left me at full health being the bulk of my damage. But it landed a critical hit with Rampage and killed me on the third attack, which combined with just how many misses I'd seen in the battle up to that point leaves me feeling that it's all down to luck in the last phase of the fight, which, woof.

I'll leave that particular challenge to the neurotics.

Maybe alleviate the handicap with some gospel usage to bring you up to boss level and limit the grind? The challenge is clearing the bosses and beating the game right? Not grinding through it again?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Gospels would be fair game, but I don't have any of the DLC.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Gospels would be fair game, but I don't have any of the DLC.

Not-Navi can also sometimes dig up stat balms to permanently raise Nahobino's stats. It's more rare than the demon-exclusive incense so a healthy amount of luck and mindless farming will be needed.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I don't know about a Nahobino-solo run. But there are a number of demons you get as a result of side-questing (and the free tutorial Pixie, obviously). I wonder how feasible a run of just the Nahobino and the side-quest demons would be.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Not that surprising, but the way they're using the logo with all the games gives me hope for bigger(and older school) things.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly I’m just hoping that ASW gives it the good netcode treatment with rollback. They seem to have learned their lesson.

Going to be fun to be able to dust off Ultimax again without bringing out the 360.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Depending on how much you're willing to grind (i.e. "yes" for the kind of people who put a lot of work into weird playthroughs), you might be able to ban most healing and instead Magatsuhi Wellspring through most of the game with enough Vit you found on the ground.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finally reached the first dungeon, and the game's been so massive that I felt like it was going to be the last one. :lol:

Lucy needs better guards, clearly.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly I’m just hoping that ASW gives it the good netcode treatment with rollback. They seem to have learned their lesson.

Going to be fun to be able to dust off Ultimax again without bringing out the 360.
    the question is if it's up to ASW or not. Because it is unclear if sega has learned the rollback lesson.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    So I'm apparently just prior to the point of no return and have a question regarding how I should procede.
    I've just beat Metaton and apparently the alignment lock is right after. I'm Level 82 and sitting on 11 Gospels and can throw on the Miitama DLC to get everyone powered up pretty quickly. As far as I can tell I've done everything I can prior to this point except for Shiva and the Demi Fiend.

I've heard that the lock would lock out the True Neutral ending even if I take down Shiva after but I don't particularly like the sound of that ending. If I want to tackle the 2 super bosses should I grind up and do them now? Or just continue on beat the game and then do it using my latest available save?

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    So I'm apparently just prior to the point of no return and have a question regarding how I should procede.
    I've just beat Metaton and apparently the alignment lock is right after. I'm Level 82 and sitting on 11 Gospels and can throw on the Miitama DLC to get everyone powered up pretty quickly. As far as I can tell I've done everything I can prior to this point except for Shiva and the Demi Fiend.

I've heard that the lock would lock out the True Neutral ending even if I take down Shiva after but I don't particularly like the sound of that ending. If I want to tackle the 2 super bosses should I grind up and do them now? Or just continue on beat the game and then do it using my latest available save?
    I mean like you said, just depends on what ending you are going for. There's a few more side quests/bosses after the lock that have easier bosses. So if you aren't doing the special ending then it feels much better to do Shiva last. Do all the other bosses first since you still get XP for them and are more level appropriate.

Plus if you do that and have saved your level up items there's actually no need for any sort of mitama grinding. I didn't have the DLC and my MC and all my demons hit max level with no grinding at all. You get more than enough level up items just doing the side content in the game.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

I mean like you said, just depends on what ending you are going for. There's a few more side quests/bosses after the lock that have easier bosses. So if you aren't doing the special ending then it feels much better to do Shiva last. Do all the other bosses first since you still get XP for them and are more level appropriate.

Plus if you do that and have saved your level up items there's actually no need for any sort of mitama grinding. I didn't have the DLC and my MC and all my demons hit max level with no grinding at all. You get more than enough level up items just doing the side content in the game.

Do you
    have to beat Shiva prior to the alignment lock to get the special ending, or do you just need to to have him beaten by the time the ending happens?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Do you
    have to beat Shiva prior to the alignment lock to get the special ending, or do you just need to to have him beaten by the time the ending happens?
    prior to lock.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Do you
    prior to lock.
    While we're on the subject, beating Shiva is not the only requirement to get the secret ending. You also need to:

1. Fully resolve the Khonsu sidequest (importantly, you must not kill him)
    2. Do the sidequest involving the tengu who are trying to find Amanozako (importantly, do not offer her to them, despite the result being the same)
    3. Defeat Fionn mac Cumhaill the second time (which requires completing all the sidequests you can find involving the Fairy Village in some way)

You can do any of those things independently in a save file and the status of having done it will carry over into the next New Game+ cycle.

• Options

Do you
    prior to lock.
    While we're on the subject, beating Shiva is not the only requirement to get the secret ending. You also need to:

2. Do the sidequest involving the tengu who are trying to find Amanozako (importantly, do not offer her to them, despite the result being the same)
    3. Defeat Fionn mac Cumhaill the second time (which requires completing all the sidequests you can find involving the Fairy Village in some way)

You can do any of those things independently in a save file and the status of having done it will carry over into the next New Game+ cycle.
    I've done everything but beat Shiva, and I just feel like having to grind for him before I can beat the game seems sucky. I tried the fight at level 80, and it was not a good time.

I know I can just choose another ending but the idea that there's a special ending to get and I won't get it hurts me a bit. Stupid brain.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Do you
    prior to lock.

That’s nice , I did all that but I did it after the choice so I just got the regular end. Loved the game and now I’m going to try nocturne out after hearing good things about it.

• Options

Do you
    prior to lock.

I've done everything but beat Shiva, and I just feel like having to grind for him before I can beat the game seems sucky. I tried the fight at level 80, and it was not a good time.

I know I can just choose another ending but the idea that there's a special ending to get and I won't get it hurts me a bit. Stupid brain.
    Special ending does not mean better. I specifically did not want that ending. Just like the other endings it's just which one best suits you. You can watch them all afterwards on youtube anyway. Just go with what you like best for your actual playthrough.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Cheers I think I'll go ahead with the regular end game then and come back for the extra stuff
    I do have the other requirements for the hidden ending but I think I'll go chaos anyway so no big deal. And this way the post lock fights should still be something of a challenge.

• Options
    Cheers I think I'll go ahead with the regular end game then and come back for the extra stuff
    I do have the other requirements for the hidden ending but I think I'll go chaos anyway so no big deal. And this way the post lock fights should still be something of a challenge.

That's the exact path I took. I really wanted
    hayataro
    on my team. The best little tank.

And then after doing the super boss going on to the final boss and stomping them to pieces in proper JRPG fashion.

• Options

hayataro

And then after doing the super boss going on to the final boss and stomping them to pieces in proper JRPG fashion.
    I feel like Chaos also gets the best version of the Holy Mother (Inanna), and the best alignment-match bonus (don't have to take the built-in skills during fusion).

Inanna probably has the best resistance set to put on the Nahobino if you're going for being completely indestructible; she's got four nulls built-in, which is more than you can get out of any other demon. Put a Null Physical, Null Light, and Null Dark (or better) in your skill-set, and you literally can't get hit except for Almighty and piercing.

• Options

hayataro

I feel like Chaos also gets the best version of the Holy Mother (Inanna), and the best alignment-match bonus (don't have to take the built-in skills during fusion).

Inanna probably has the best resistance set to put on the Nahobino if you're going for being completely indestructible; she's got four nulls built-in, which is more than you can get out of any other demon. Put a Null Physical, Null Light, and Null Dark (or better) in your skill-set, and you literally can't get hit except for Almighty and piercing.
    Oh yea I was using her too. I just put the null PHYS on her to drop her one weakness. Which meant she could only take damage at all from light and dark and no weakness of any kind. So she handled all my elemental casting needs. Demeter for healing(and wind/light/dark spells), hayataro to be an unstoppable tank with def and attack dropping attacks and MC as my Almighty STR character of destruction.

It felt fantastic haha.

• Options
    Game done. Didn't do super boss but oh well. The ending fights and ending itself were very meh. Overall everything that was not the plot was good.

• Options
    I'm at what I think is the end game, and I'm also pretty disappointed in the game's progression. There's been, what, one and a half dungeons, and five open world areas? I expect better from SMT.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm at what I think is the end game, and I'm also pretty disappointed in the game's progression. There's been, what, one and a half dungeons, and five open world areas? I expect better from SMT.

it's @cj iwakura
    2 dungeons, one end game corridor zone, and 4 open world areas.

The open world stuff was pretty significant in size and pretty solid. I'm surprised by lack of dungeons, but I'm ok with it.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

it's @cj iwakura
    2 dungeons, one end game corridor zone, and 4 open world areas.

The open world stuff was pretty significant in size and pretty solid. I'm surprised by lack of dungeons, but I'm ok with it.

I'm really not. I enjoyed the open world stuff, but it got samey very fast. The first real dungeon is fantastic. So why isn't there more of that?

They tried too hard to be "open world"(hi Nier Automata) at the cost of what really would have fleshed the game out and made it more interesting.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Personally I didn't mind the open world stuff it kinda felt more like it was all dungeon in a way.

Though admittedly the last quarter of the game kinda fell apart entirely for me

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Personally I didn't mind the open world stuff it kinda felt more like it was all dungeon in a way.

Though admittedly the last quarter of the game kinda fell apart entirely for me

It's just surreal to imagine that an SMT game only has
    two
    dungeons, wtf.

The open world is neat, but it's no trade off for what's the source of SMT. And as said, the story is a rushed mess, which feels weird for such a long game. It feels like nothing much really happens. You just go around hunting things, then all of a sudden, it's off to the end?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Started nocturne ! Haven’t gotten too far but I can tell I will like the game.

• Options
    Some of the game's vistas make me super nostalgic for Imagine.

3zuvofpckc7d.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So it’s only my second game of the franchise but I gather the “ you and your friends/classmates will eventually talk politics and or religion and you will decide to kill them” is a core plot element for these games? Cause I just met chiaki after the mantra raid and she went from sweet girl to only the strong deserve to live kinda fast then immediately afterwards I saved isamu from prison and he got super mad at me and went into the devil internet . Awesome game so far , just kinda got whiplash by how fast my friends went off the deep end. At least I have occult reporter guy around still , he still seems normal.

• Options
    So it’s only my second game of the franchise but I gather the “ you and your friends/classmates will eventually talk politics and or religion and you will decide to kill them” is a core plot element for these games? Cause I just met chiaki after the mantra raid and she went from sweet girl to only the strong deserve to live kinda fast then immediately afterwards I saved isamu from prison and he got super mad at me and went into the devil internet . Awesome game so far , just kinda got whiplash by how fast my friends went off the deep end. At least I have occult reporter guy around still , he still seems normal.

Pretty much series tradition.

wVEsyIc.png