As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Discussion] V back for Vengeance (Lilith's after the throne)

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So it’s only my second game of the franchise but I gather the “ you and your friends/classmates will eventually talk politics and or religion and you will decide to kill them” is a core plot element for these games? Cause I just met chiaki after the mantra raid and she went from sweet girl to only the strong deserve to live kinda fast then immediately afterwards I saved isamu from prison and he got super mad at me and went into the devil internet . Awesome game so far , just kinda got whiplash by how fast my friends went off the deep end. At least I have occult reporter guy around still , he still seems normal.

Pretty much series tradition.

It’s Interesting because most Japanese media ( that I’ve consumed at least) leans heavy into the power of friendship and such and here this series is like nope , gotta kill them before they kill you.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So it’s only my second game of the franchise but I gather the “ you and your friends/classmates will eventually talk politics and or religion and you will decide to kill them” is a core plot element for these games? Cause I just met chiaki after the mantra raid and she went from sweet girl to only the strong deserve to live kinda fast then immediately afterwards I saved isamu from prison and he got super mad at me and went into the devil internet . Awesome game so far , just kinda got whiplash by how fast my friends went off the deep end. At least I have occult reporter guy around still , he still seems normal.

Pretty much series tradition.

It’s Interesting because most Japanese media ( that I’ve consumed at least) leans heavy into the power of friendship and such and here this series is like nope , gotta kill them before they kill you.

IV:Apocalypse skirts the tradition a bit, to the annoyance of most of the fanbase, it's very power of friendship driven.

Well, unless you kill them all.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Almost ruined my save file . Released the riders only for one to chase me outside every save room and my team was weak to fire other then Demi fiend . Silenced an angel and auto attacked with only DF alive hoping he would heal me with providence. That took way too long and I was way too lucky

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I keep restarting SMT5 because I get distracted right after the opening and well, might as well restart.

Latest time I turned on the Mitama DLCs, all three of them and was like "ok, so I saw 2 Mitama in the entire zone, that's not bad."

This time left it on at the start. Beat the first red beef gate. There's a field with an absolute ton of enemy spawns, cats and mandrakes, and uh. Yeah. It's suddenly not "2 mitama in the entire area" it's "2 mitama and 1 normal enemy, maybe, per cluster." Hit 25 purely on accident because the XP ones drop rare candy like things, which uh, doesn't matter how much XP everything else drops when you use an item and instantly level.

So, heh, starting over again.

I keep going Strength Build for the Nahobino, but early on I just keep grabbing as many elements as I can since there's no good physical attacks. I mean he has a sword-hand, I can't NOT go Strength, right?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I keep restarting SMT5 because I get distracted right after the opening and well, might as well restart.

Latest time I turned on the Mitama DLCs, all three of them and was like "ok, so I saw 2 Mitama in the entire zone, that's not bad."

This time left it on at the start. Beat the first red beef gate. There's a field with an absolute ton of enemy spawns, cats and mandrakes, and uh. Yeah. It's suddenly not "2 mitama in the entire area" it's "2 mitama and 1 normal enemy, maybe, per cluster." Hit 25 purely on accident because the XP ones drop rare candy like things, which uh, doesn't matter how much XP everything else drops when you use an item and instantly level.

So, heh, starting over again.

I keep going Strength Build for the Nahobino, but early on I just keep grabbing as many elements as I can since there's no good physical attacks. I mean he has a sword-hand, I can't NOT go Strength, right?

Magic is broken as ever, but in late game, there are some NASTY physical abilities, especially the 'elemental but uses strength' skills.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The endgame boss build is Murakumo crit aura spam I think. Physical almighty crits are huge, it’s how I beat shiva.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    The endgame boss build is Murakumo crit aura spam I think. Physical almighty crits are huge, it’s how I beat shiva.

I'm really sad I probably can't make use of Murakumo with my weak ~40 strength stat. I've been using stuff like Zanbarion and Agibarion to lay waste, and his not-Xeros Beat skill.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Marsh eviscerates the game in his review, and pretty much hits the nail on the head for every issue I have:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZRmR3pt9kg

Contains story beat and endgame spoilers, but that section is tagged.

"I legitimately would not be surprised if the total screentime for every plot related character COMBINED was less than fifteen minutes."
    Savage facts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    heenato wrote: »
    Personally I didn't mind the open world stuff it kinda felt more like it was all dungeon in a way.

Though admittedly the last quarter of the game kinda fell apart entirely for me

It's just surreal to imagine that an SMT game only has
    two
    dungeons, wtf.

The open world is neat, but it's no trade off for what's the source of SMT. And as said, the story is a rushed mess, which feels weird for such a long game. It feels like nothing much really happens. You just go around hunting things, then all of a sudden, it's off to the end?

The open world sections were better than the usual boring ass slog corrider dungeons that SMT usually is.

So I take it as a huge upgrade.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I didn't mind the lack of dungeons. I did mind that the dungeons (especially the second one) were pretty clearly designed with random encounters in mind. Which SMT V doesn't have.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Personally I didn't mind the open world stuff it kinda felt more like it was all dungeon in a way.

two
    dungeons, wtf.

The open world is neat, but it's no trade off for what's the source of SMT. And as said, the story is a rushed mess, which feels weird for such a long game. It feels like nothing much really happens. You just go around hunting things, then all of a sudden, it's off to the end?

The open world sections were better than the usual boring ass slog corrider dungeons that SMT usually is.

Agreed. I really think that SMT V did a fantastic job with character progression/areas to explore/fusion etc.

It's just every time a character opened its mouth, I sighed.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Only a bit into smt3 but my ideal is smt3 huge dungeons and design but with the over world movement and visible enemies of smtv

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

two
    dungeons, wtf.

Agreed. I really think that SMT V did a fantastic job with character progression/areas to explore/fusion etc.

It's just every time a character opened its mouth, I sighed.

Yea I certainly can't disagree with that haha.

But the world/exploration of SMTV? Legit is strongest aspect imo.

• Options
    Speaking of which, I really enjoyed the miracles angle. I thought that was a great way to power up.

• Options
    I love the Essence system too, it's always wonderful when a demon joins with only 3 skills and I can go nuts customizing her however I want.

0s89j5k7gsn4.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yoyogi park done ! Teleporting dungeons are annoying but it wasn’t too bad. If my “friends” could stop breaking into manifesto rants about how I failed them and now they will recreate the world using an extreme borderline evil philosophy that would be cool.

• Options
    Yoyogi park done ! Teleporting dungeons are annoying but it wasn’t too bad. If my “friends” could stop breaking into manifesto rants about how I failed them and now they will recreate the world using an extreme borderline evil philosophy that would be cool.

No.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I mean, you're not going to like what's in store for you.

• Options

That has one of my favorite story scenes, when Yuko finds her Reason.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I don’t think I’m friends with isamu anymore.

Edit- and now I know I’m no longer friends with chiaki .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Mainline SMT: Your friends will betray you and one of them probably will side with or become the devil.
    Persona: You will save the day with the power of friendship, which lets you build a better Satan.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Mainline SMT: Your friends will betray you and one of them probably will side with or become the devil.
    Persona: You will save the day with the power of friendship, which lets you build a better Satan.

Well, Persona final bosses are pretty consistent in giving you a literal Power of Friendship button yes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Going to take a break and maybe play more tonight. Agenda is to clear the latest floor of the labyrinth before I continue the story also got super lucky and me fusing random went haywire and I got this super good high level healing ballerina goddess.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I just dug out Persona 3 FES and Devil Summoner. I was going to give them a spin in the emulator. I will get them on the laptop.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yeah I think I had more fun with SMTIV it had a better mix of exploration and plot. V is too much aimless wandering for my taste.

Edit: Also the whole your friends becoming extreme political effigies without ever really bothering to flesh it out is very been there done that. I expect more these days.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I really like the moment before the final dungeon when everyone lays their cards on the table. I wish the game had more presentation like that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Got to the diet building , which is good cause I’m fat. Also feel bad for yuko like really bad.

• Options
    I really like the moment before the final dungeon when everyone lays their cards on the table. I wish the game had more presentation like that.

The actual overall plot points are fine
    it's the characters.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The actual overall plot points are fine
    it's the characters.

I don't even think the characters are that bad, apart from Dazai
    and his OUT OF NOWHERE heel turn into an insane Messian cultist... who then gets an Archangel to go Fallen in the Name of the Lord? Uhhhhhhh... okaaaaay....

They're just very half baked.

Also:
    18nmmrghvllr.png

I think I'm ready for endgame!
    (Incidentally, I miss his IV/A voice.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Man beelzebub and mother harlots designs are the fucking coolest

Black frost and daisoujou carried me through the labyrinth of amala , I really wish I didn’t know where the later came from though. Fucking horrifying.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    This tower will never end , made it all the way up but somehow missed chiaki so I’m back on the previous floor trying to work my way through all the teleportation squares.

Edit I found her! As luck would have it I was immune to everything she did , kinda feel bad for chiaki.
    Edit-2 I am now a true demon ! I want to replay it on hard but man , I’m going to need a break that’s a long game and I’ve heard horror stories about hard . Final team was DF, black frost , mother harlot and skadi. Taking the time to give scathatch debilitate and transforming her to skadi was well worth it . Don’t think I could have beaten Lucifer without her debuffing/ buffing .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    If you were disappointed in the fight against Zeus, the Demeter quest will REALLY make you work for it.

Final boss:
    Finally, a "true form" of Lucifer that actually looks cool.

Shame he iced me. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJsEPTMIthk
    Also, I really dig Demeter's design.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The Zeus rematch got me a few times , turns out bosses that can pierce gives me a hard time .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    oxf1bg1x1gmt.png

Got the Chaos ending, really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll go back for the other down the line.

Overall, it's a fun game. The fusion and gameplay is pretty much at its best, I just wish the exploration(dungeon wise) and story was up to snuff.

That final area SHOULD have been an honest-to-YH dungeon, but nope, just a tunnel. :( Super lame.

It could have been a great one, too.

Also, no wonder a lot of the OST sounds off: the game had a second composer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I really liked the music in 5 shiva in particular has an awesome theme

https://youtu.be/iztv537rWTo

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Smtv gives me a lot of hope in the next smt game. It could be amazing

• Options

I took a shot.

My arms were way too short to box with God. Died in one turn. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I took a shot.

But the music was awesome ! I waited to I was level 99 and only on normal so I kinda cheated myself out of the challenge. I will do a hard run but honestly I think that will come after the nocturne hard run .

• Options
    edited January 2022

I took a shot.

But the music was awesome ! I waited to I was level 99 and only on normal so I kinda cheated myself out of the challenge. I will do a hard run but honestly I think that will come after the nocturne hard run .

I beat the game at L84. I got utterly demolished by Shiva, creamed the final boss, and had a knock down-drag out war with Zeus Mk.2.

I have beef with V's OST overall, mostly not being as epic as IV's, but I'll give it credit: it is an extremely atmospheric OST.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    This is definitely my favorite battle theme, in hindsight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTvlaLok4t8

But nothing in V even came up to the ankles of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtFEfnwCxc

It's really clear V had two composers.

Compare that battle theme to this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCBqqPQ0tF4&list=PLjldK45UAIzmU4qRgAMB2ws1Ud2nEJyv_&index=10

Definitely not Kozuka's vibe.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png