As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] In which we discuss dice crime

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Land raiders are finally where tanks should be at T9, and how do warlord titans factor into the meta at all?
    Also the end of 7th, bloated at the seams with formations handing out free stuff like a broken pez dispenser is hardly a great metric for "the good ol' days". Getting tabled by 750 free points of drop-podding grav-cannon space marines sure was a thing that I don't miss.

Yeah, TBH that’s more an indication of how stupidly overcosted and weak titans are. Basically every tank vehicle needs +1 T (except the Ork squig chariot thing) especially titans.
    TBH, LR and other AV 14 vehicles should be T10, being as how you needed a 5+ to damage with S9 but I’ll take whatever we can get. Maybe there should be a more general crossfire rule for vehicles that gives you +1 to wound if you can surround them, to represent being better able to get at weaker armour?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Me, phew I've caught up.

GW: NEW KILL TEAM BOX
    Next week GW: NEW PREDATOR TANKS
    Next week GW: SQUATS

Me: GW please. Think of my wallet. Please.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess you're right, the edition that literally had to invent new rules to stop your 300 point warlord from being killed before you even get a turn is definitely balanced (insert hand jerking off motion here).

Lethality is an issue. Balance really isn't outside of a couple outliers.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I guess I need an actual copy of the 9th edition rules too.

My work buddy, who is a co sponsor of the club, has never played or owned a physical warhammer game or models but is very much into the video games. He is all in on Votann as his first army. I am also buying into Votann. Guess we are going to be having a lot of Votann on Votann battles in the future.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So 9th has issues but where it stands it is probably the best balance since before SM 2.0 and after the Castellan nerf in 8th.

Multiple armies have a chance of winning tournaments. Games are close. There isn't a single book breaking the meta. Most armies are between a 45%-55% win rate. And list are pretty diverse. The most important thing is that games are fun.

Playing on proper terrain is important this edition. It changes the game.

And if you are longing for 7th but better, 30k is right there. And is an excellent game.

GW has done a good job trying to make the game something everyone can play and have fun.

So yes adjusting rules, traits and so on is the right thing to do. Because that is how you make balance across hundreds of models, something like 20 plus factions, and a billion rules.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Me, this weekend: I really need to paint and assemble shit

Me after 30 minutes of doing that: Time to play some fucking daemonhunters!

I wish I wasn't such a child sometimes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Me I wish I could paint far more often. Me seriously stop building stuff you are out of room and are using cardboard boxes/bags to store them

• Options
    Just an FYI. 2" engagement through obscuring is dead.

Holy shit it was a dumb rule.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I got my Gallowdark parts sanded down. I found that the only ones with joint issues are the long walls and their middle column caps. The rest are totally fine.

Still taping off all the joints.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Me, phew I've caught up.

GW: NEW KILL TEAM BOX
    Next week GW: NEW PREDATOR TANKS
    Next week GW: SQUATS

Me: GW please. Think of my wallet. Please.

GW: We are thinking of your wallet. Your wallet is forefront on our list of concerns.
    Now, sell your internal organs on the black market so you can get more tiny army men.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    With the new votann weapons it feels like it would've been smart if hunTR weapons would've gotten a more generic name? That type of weapon seems like it kinda should be the rules baseline to how guns work. Just does exactly what it says without any exceptions from the core rules of moving and shooting.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Is this "nobody plays it like this because it's stupid" dead or "GW announced they're nuking it in the dataslate because it's stupid" dead

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Is this "nobody plays it like this because it's stupid" dead or "GW announced they're nuking it in the dataslate because it's stupid" dead

Removed from the FAQ as of today. No longer part of the rule set.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Finished reading Prospero Burns.

Very fascinating book, I really liked a bunch of the late reveals in there. I also liked the Afterward where Dan Abnett explains that he started having grand mal seizures while writing the book, and that his experiences got reflected on the main character. My wife has been on a similar journey.

Also in the afterward he said he hated Space Wolves and loved Thousand Sons, so he and Graham switched duties so that Abnett would have to learn to love them, and love them he did.

• Options
    I'm only just now reading the 9th edition rules. What was the 2" engagement through obscuring rule?

• Options
    I'm only just now reading the 9th edition rules. What was the 2" engagement through obscuring rule?

It was part of the FAQ that came out in late July.

In normal 9th if you are 1.1" from the wall of obscuring terrain a 32 mm base model cannot charge you without going around.

To fix this they made engagement go from 1" to 2". So you had to be 2.1" from a wall but even then most models could get through the wall then.

It let you make an 8" charge instead of 9" from deep strike and a bunch of other knock on affects.

It has been returned to the original rules.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022

It was part of the FAQ that came out in late July.

In normal 9th if you are 1.1" from the wall of obscuring terrain a 32 mm base model cannot charge you without going around.

To fix this they made engagement go from 1" to 2". So you had to be 2.1" from a wall but even then most models could get through the wall then.

It let you make an 8" charge instead of 9" from deep strike and a bunch of other knock on affects.

It has been returned to the original rules.

The most egregious knock on effect was that because the 2" engagement only clicked in if the terrain was intervening, you could charge on such an angle that you could have the terrain in the way, make your attacks at 2" then pile in such that it was no longer in the way, engagement reverted to 1" but you would be more than 1" away so the enemy couldn't attack you back.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    In general besides lore is there a good reason to go for a generic lord over a named character? The Kahl in the upcoming Votann box can be made generic or named and I don't one which way to go

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Named Characters are usually locked in to their sub faction unless they are a supreme command (?).

I haven’t looked at the leaks, but I suspect the named League character could only be in the one sub faction so if you wanted to play any of the others because of their different traits, then I don’t think he could be in it.

If you’re playing with friends, then I can’t imagine anyone really caring how you built him as long as you told people before the game started.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    In general besides lore is there a good reason to go for a generic lord over a named character? The Kahl in the upcoming Votann box can be made generic or named and I don't one which way to go

named characters are locked into their faction, equipment, and warlord traits

often times named characters are strictly better, but do not necessarily fit with meta army builds

for instance, the silent king is often taken as a separate super heavy detachment for necrons because he is beast as hell, but a custom dynasty with all units get a free 6" move before the game starts and all infantry get obsec is fucking insane

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

named characters are locked into their faction, equipment, and warlord traits

often times named characters are strictly better, but do not necessarily fit with meta army builds

for instance, the silent king is often taken as a separate super heavy detachment for necrons because he is beast as hell, but a custom dynasty with all units get a free 6" move before the game starts and all infantry get obsec is fucking insane

He is a supreme command so like Abby and Morty you can take him without breaking stuff.

But yeah named characters usually have abilities equal to a lot of warlord traits and relics via their data sheet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

At the moment, you have to pay CP for a generic warlord to take a trait/relic, whereas named characters get them for free.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Hmm, I'll still probably build them generic since I'm doing a custom faction and I want them put together for that, but I'm not playing in any tournaments so I don't think many people will object if I want to run them as the Destined character.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

At the moment, you have to pay CP for a generic warlord to take a trait/relic, whereas named characters get them for free.

You have to pay for named characters to get their trait.

I wish it was free on Abby.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I believe you still need to pay the CP to gain named character warlord traits (only 1 CP to gain all their warlord traits, instead of 3 CP etc for their 3 traits), but the relics and abilities that are baked into the sheet are free.

There was a separate FAQ about it recently

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Hmm, I'll still probably build them generic since I'm doing a custom faction and I want them put together for that, but I'm not playing in any tournaments so I don't think many people will object if I want to run them as the Destined character.

Build it how you want, rule of cool is more important than WYSIWYG

• Options
    Had our first Warhammer club meeting after school today. The kids assembled models and we talked about color theory as they figured out the color schemes for their models.

• Options

Still there is no current model for Vect even though there is a CP and several other things named after him

There is a channel doing alternate combat patrols. Breaking down how much and what to expect if you play it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSnyphUQ2aU
    Recently he did the Drukhari and ran into certain models are in limbo currently. I know the aliens of 40k rarely get updates. Knowing how the drukhari have a small amount of models to replace [the court of the archon. the grotesque and the beastmaster and friends} I kind of see them redoing the archon model since it's popular to fix it or play around with spares to make one but this is way down the road

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this game in fifteen years but holy shit the Dwarfs look cool as hell.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

The local club insists on strict wysiwyg.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Still there is no current model for Vect even though there is a CP and several other things named after him

There is a channel doing alternate combat patrols. Breaking down how much and what to expect if you play it
    Recently he did the Drukhari and ran into certain models are in limbo currently. I know the aliens of 40k rarely get updates. Knowing how the drukhari have a small amount of models to replace [the court of the archon. the grotesque and the beastmaster and friends} I kind of see them redoing the archon model since it's popular to fix it or play around with spares to make one but this is way down the road

Maybe GW will do a Court kill team?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

That sucks. I get requiring it for tournaments or whatever, but for pickup games among friends to not have any sort of leeway is unfortunate as long as its not egregious. "This Stormtalon was built with Skyhammer Missiles but I am running it with Heavy Bolters" or "These Intercessors were built with Bolt Rifles but I'm running them with Stalker Bolt Rifles" doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Some models don't even have the ability to be full WYSIWYG, you can run a Chaos Rhino with two Combi Bolters and a Havoc Launcher but you can't actually build it that way out of the box.

My rule with bringing counts-as or proxies with my lists has always been that it should be simple enough that I am able to tell my opponent what it is at the beginning of the game and they should never have to go "wait, what was that again?" while we're playing. As an example I played a guy a while back who was proxying a Valkyrie as a Vulture because he is thinking about getting one but wanted to see how much fun it was to play with before shelling out the cash. He put two Vulture Gatling Cannons on it and spent a few turns strafing the hell out of my army with Ork level dice piles before I was able to blow it out of the sky, it was hilarious.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Very fascinating book, I really liked a bunch of the late reveals in there. I also liked the Afterward where Dan Abnett explains that he started having grand mal seizures while writing the book, and that his experiences got reflected on the main character. My wife has been on a similar journey.

Also in the afterward he said he hated Space Wolves and loved Thousand Sons, so he and Graham switched duties so that Abnett would have to learn to love them, and love them he did.

My Audible credits expire soon, and I was thinking of blowing them on the Horus Heresy novels. Should I get them all in published order, or are there some chaff novels I should skip?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Maybe GW will do a Court kill team?

Because one of the ships this season is Aeldari? So it would mean the regular sprue with + I thought it would be neat to see drukhari corsairs so kabal troops with? or wyches?
    Then I thought it could be wracks and a great way to tease a new grotesque. As a Haemonculi decided to take their act on the road and away from prying eyes

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Imperial armour compendium FAQ has a new update. Quick look inside it seems like it's mostly to bring it in line with codex CSM

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Imperial armour compendium FAQ has a new update. Quick look inside it seems like it's mostly to bring it in line with codex CSM

Finally fixed the 2 Questoris Chaos Knight keywords as well, so they can actually operate properly in a Chaos Knights detachment / as Dreadblades.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options

My Audible credits expire soon, and I was thinking of blowing them on the Horus Heresy novels. Should I get them all in published order, or are there some chaff novels I should skip?

This is literally the only one I've read so far. I have just begun reading A Thousand Sons, which came out earlier but was intended to tell Prospero Burns from the Thousand Sons perspective.

I think I grabbed Horus Rising on Audible as well, but I don't know why I did that, I'm very bad at understanding what the fuck is going on when people talk at me.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    My Victoria Miniatures heads came in yesterday, and so I did Baby's First Kitbash with my Raiders:
    bd3itno8oqao.jpg

From Tabletop Angles™ they look really good. Just uh... don't look too close behind the head under the hats.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options

the local club sounds miserable

most tournament organizers don't even require strict WYSIWYG

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The first three are rock solid, after that it's more varied. Some people liked Flight of the Eisenstein, I wasn't a fan. Others didn't like Fulgrim, I did.
    The 'safest' advice would be Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, anything by ADB, books about whatever legion you're a fan of (except for the Salamanders because Nick Kyme is awful). One caveat about the last category though, just because the book is about the legion doesn't guarantee you're going to be getting a lot of Primarch action. A Thousand Sons gets you a lot of Magnus, Prospero Burns doesn't have nearly as much Russ in it. Plus some of the treatment of some of the Primarchs is... not great. Perturabo initially has more anger issues than Angron, and the two books about the Lion make it seem like the biggest contribution he made to the Heresy was to not be at Terra. Very uneven.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!