As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] In which we discuss dice crime

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love ADB’s work, but I just can’t get into the Night Lords novels. That might be the fault of the narrator though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    Same here, I wasn't too keen on the Night Lords novels. I do love ADB's Helsreach though, one of the few books that focuses more on the logistics of a siege.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    While I haven’t read a lot of his stuff I’ve never met a Chris Wraight Warhammer book I didn’t like

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Ever since I figured out how to paint a dark worn leather effect, I can't stop looking for reasons to do it on stuff. It's addicting.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Has anyone mentioned The Infinite And The Divine yet? One of the most enjoyable GW books, ever.

Unrelated, but a bunch of nerds need to get out more and spend less time looking at models of dehydrated bodybuilders. The amount of people I've now seen that think the venenum assassin is overweight is staggering.

honovere on
  • Options
    RedHobbitRedHobbit Registered User regular
    I've also enjoyed Chris Wraight quite a bit, especially the Watchers of the Throne series.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    If it's true that GW doesn't do December releases I don't see the Guard codex before January.

Please GW. Give me as much of a gap as possible between Votann and Guard. There is too much. Think of my finances.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am hoping for one of my friend's sanity guard is out ASAP. Votann coming out before guard and probably a bit broken has broken him as a guard player. Dude is amazing pulls off crazy shit with his old codex but just can't take it anymore. He is basically fast building his Tau which have been a side project for like a year.

He dropped out of the NOVA GT because he is so exhausted with the Guard delays.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Regardless of what paint scheme I go with for the armor, I will be doing the actual Kin themselves like Dark Iron Dwarves/Deurgar, so shades of grey for skin tones and black or reddish hair, sometimes with fiery tips. As part of that though, I think I might try and do the Kahl to look like Moira Thaurissan, but I'll either need to find a head with her hairstyle or just add it on with greenstuff
    34fcdf907314285f18bbd707d0edb514.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned The Infinite And The Divine yet? One of the most enjoyable GW books, ever.

Unrelated, but a bunch of nerds need to get out more and spend less time looking at models of dehydrated bodybuilders. The amount of people I've now seen that think the venenum assassin is overweight is staggering.

trazyn is my favorite space asshole

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My commander edition got here today. I bought two sets of the starter paint set plus the grey primer for my buddy and me to use. Going to go over to his place tomorrow and get started. I wasn't initially that interested in the necrons but after reading about them some more I think I can dig it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got the nachmund book today but it was the one out of the box with the instructions. So that would have helped when I started

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I did another Necromunda gang building video. To tempt you in, I will give you a spoiler; there is a dog in the video
    https://youtu.be/cSOKmuDCWSU

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Got my first Kill Team game in at the FLGS with the owner. Just baaaaarely lost due to a critical tactical error on my part, but I had a ton of fun and will definitely be hitting up the store's Kill Team league when it starts up tomorrow.

It's really funny how the Sicarian flechette blasters are just hot garbage in 40k but are absolute murder machines in Kill Team.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am drowning in GW now, considering I had nothing new in May.

Currently painting:
    10 Imp Fist Phalanx Warders
    Sicaran Tank
    2 Leviathan Dreadnoughts
    Kill Team Into the Dark Terrain

To build:
    2 Kill Teams from Into the Dark
    Other 10 Phalanx Warders

To assemble or paint for the school club:
    Moroch terrain
    That set of kill team terrain with the cargo canisters and barrels. (Mostly finished kinda rushed and sloppy though)
    Priming the students' first models so they can start painting on Monday.

I have a League of Votann box ordered and I haven't even ordered the Heresy Predators I want.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I also got a lot of compliments on my AdMech army in general which absolutely got me pumped up and happy that I've gotten into this. As someone who has been pretty antisocial their whole life, this has been a wonderful time so far.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Man given how fast the Votann army box sold out online I'm glad I got a pre-order/box hold with the FLGS.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Man given how fast the Votann army box sold out online I'm glad I got a pre-order/box hold with the FLGS.

I added it to my cart at 10 am, everything seemed fine, went to add some necromunda gangs, site went down, and they were sold out when it came back up. Fun times.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Only way to reliably get new releases currently is to be a YouTube/Instagram influencer

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Only way to reliably get new releases currently is to be a YouTube/Instagram influencer

That and LGS presales, they give those priority over webstore.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I added it to my cart at 10 am, everything seemed fine, went to add some necromunda gangs, site went down, and they were sold out when it came back up. Fun times.

That sucks, hopefully you'll be able to find one at a local place. From my own experience even stuff that sells out instantly online, if you check around at in person stores some places will still have boxes for awhile. I can still find Age of Darkness boxes at a bunch of local stores.

• Options

I wish they would stop giving some of new releases to certain people like a certain painter who taunted his audience they would not be as good at painting. Or another who the previous kill team {the phobos/traitor guard} Was mad you had to buy the traitor guard again to make the full roster and so on

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Have we talked about the possible Votann Combat Patrol image that is floating out there now?

pkgzeufk7t55.jpg

1 x Kahl
    10 x Hearthkyn
    5 x Beserkers
    3 x Pioneers.

Seems pretty solid, though the Kahl is going to start to get less than useful if you get more than one patrol. They show the beserkers with the mole launcher, I wonder if there are parts to make the mole launcher be a standard beserker if you don't want that upgrade. You'd have an extra Ironkin hanging out then. Pioneers are amazing so having lots of them are good and obviously Hearthkyn are always useful.

Might not be the actual box since people are now photoshopping that image onto combat patrol boxes and talking like it is gospel. Prices and savings line up with existing combat patrols.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I wish they would stop giving some of new releases to certain people like a certain painter who taunted his audience they would not be as good at painting. Or another who the previous kill team {the phobos/traitor guard} Was mad you had to buy the traitor guard again to make the full roster and so on

Yeah, there are a couple of “influencers” who im pretty sure just hype every release to get the free box to resell or just hoard, seeing as they never do content on the contents again after release.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I assure you all I will sell out as soon as I am able

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Have we talked about the possible Votann Combat Patrol image that is floating out there now?

pkgzeufk7t55.jpg

1 x Kahl
    10 x Hearthkyn
    5 x Beserkers
    3 x Pioneers.

Seems pretty solid, though the Kahl is going to start to get less than useful if you get more than one patrol. They show the beserkers with the mole launcher, I wonder if there are parts to make the mole launcher be a standard beserker if you don't want that upgrade. You'd have an extra Ironkin hanging out then. Pioneers are amazing so having lots of them are good and obviously Hearthkyn are always useful.

Might not be the actual box since people are now photoshopping that image onto combat patrol boxes and talking like it is gospel. Prices and savings line up with existing combat patrols.

Allegedly the patrol and pre-order box are all full sprue boxes, so no monopose and it should have the bits to make five regular berserkers or the mole launcher.

Also if you upgrade the Kahl to the chapter master version you can bring a second regular Kahl, so two patrols wouldn't be a bad start.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

pkgzeufk7t55.jpg

1 x Kahl
    10 x Hearthkyn
    5 x Beserkers
    3 x Pioneers.

Allegedly the patrol and pre-order box are all full sprue boxes, so no monopose and it should have the bits to make five regular berserkers or the mole launcher.

Also if you upgrade the Kahl to the chapter master version you can bring a second regular Kahl, so two patrols wouldn't be a bad start.

You could go one starter box and two combat patrols and use the third Kahl and paint him up as the one named guy.

You know, If you wanted a lot of Votann.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That would be a lot of Votann. I'd say about a league's worth.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just needs something to carry them all around in. I wonder when the space rovers will be out?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Just needs something to carry them all around in. I wonder when the space rovers will be out?

They claimed by the time an average person could paint the starter box.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I reckon Dec, there's not usually a big release then so the League second wave would make sense. Leaves October and Nov for Guard and World Eaters.

• Options
    Ok, I'm down to audible three credits and three weeks remaining until they expire. Here's my haul so far:

1. Horus Rising - Dan Abnett
    2. The Magos - Dan Abnett
    3. Ravenor - Dan Abnett
    4. Ravenor Returns - Dan Abnett
    5. The Infinite and the Divine - Robert Rath

My existing 40k collection includes:
    1. Spear of the Emperor - Aaron Dembski-Bowden (my favorite by far)
    2. Helsreach - ADB (entertaining, but felt lacking in some way)
    3. The Talon of Horus - ADB (I wasn't super interested in the topic, but the writing drew me in. I think I'll pick up the next one at some point)
    4. Soul Hunter - ADB (not my favorite)
    5. Xenos - Dan Abnett
    6. Malleus - Dan Abnett
    7. Hereticus - Dan Abnett (covering the Eisenhorn series together; very nastalgic listening to them: brought me back to the mid 00's when I first read them)
    8. Avenging Son - Guy Haley (strong 'meh' feelings; hated Guilliman's voice)

I saw the recommendations for Guants Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain novels, and I'll keep those in mind. I've got a lot of Dan Abnett already, but the Cain series is a solid runner up. Anyone have anything to say about these choices?

1. Nightbringer by Graham McNiell - I have the coin and the model (for converting) but I'm not really big on the Ultramarines as a whole. Would this book make me a believer?
    2. Bloodlines by Chris Wraight - I looked up Chris Wraight's books available on audible, but I'm not that interested in the Custodes. Warhammer Crime seems more interesting, is it any good?
    3. Mark of Faith or Honorbound by Rachel Harrison - both of these look interesting to me, but I haven't heard any recommendations for this author. Any opinions?
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I'd go back to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1m8gmu3Nyc

which reviews all the books up to the last year. I'd generally agree with him.

You'll need the first 4 books as a platform to be honest.

ABD + Abnett are generally a good bet for any Black Library books to be honest, not just HH related.

No idea of what the audio quality is like though.

I watched this video, thanks for recommending it! After listening I decided I'd at least start the Horus Heresy series, but I'll probably stick to more 'modern' 40k novels for now. I have heard so much praise for ADB's latests novel Echoes of Eternity though, and I'm such a fan, that I almost feel like I should mainline these books just to get to it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

*looks at indomitus box....*
    so 2+ years from now?

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm down to audible three credits and three weeks remaining until they expire. Here's my haul so far:

3. Ravenor - Dan Abnett

3. The Talon of Horus - ADB (I wasn't super interested in the topic, but the writing drew me in. I think I'll pick up the next one at some point)
    5. Xenos - Dan Abnett
    6. Malleus - Dan Abnett
    7. Hereticus - Dan Abnett (covering the Eisenhorn series together; very nastalgic listening to them: brought me back to the mid 00's when I first read them)

I saw the recommendations for Guants Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain novels, and I'll keep those in mind. I've got a lot of Dan Abnett already, but the Cain series is a solid runner up. Anyone have anything to say about these choices?

1. Nightbringer by Graham McNiell - I have the coin and the model (for converting) but I'm not really big on the Ultramarines as a whole. Would this book make me a believer?
    2. Bloodlines by Chris Wraight - I looked up Chris Wraight's books available on audible, but I'm not that interested in the Custodes. Warhammer Crime seems more interesting, is it any good?
    3. Mark of Faith or Honorbound by Rachel Harrison - both of these look interesting to me, but I haven't heard any recommendations for this author. Any opinions?

ABD + Abnett are generally a good bet for any Black Library books to be honest, not just HH related.

I watched this video, thanks for recommending it! After listening I decided I'd at least start the Horus Heresy series, but I'll probably stick to more 'modern' 40k novels for now. I have heard so much praise for ADB's latests novel Echoes of Eternity though, and I'm such a fan, that I almost feel like I should mainline these books just to get to it.

The below are all Abnett

Titanicus - an engine (Titans) book which I don’t think I’ve seen tipped if you like the subject matter

Double Eagle - it’s basically a WW2 fighter plane book strongly inspired by….well once you’ve read it you’ll see

Brotherhood of the Snake - a short collection of Space Marine stories

All pretty much standalone; all enjoyable.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Won my first ranked Kill Team game for the store's league!

Turn 1, I double-buffed my sniper with a Surveyor and a Diktat for:
    +1 APL
    Ignores all Cover
    Relentless

And proceeded to one-shot my opponent's 13-wound leader from his Thousand Sons kill team. Took out two more of his Thousand Sons and ran up a victory point lead by the end of turn 3 with no way for him to reach my units carrying the control points by the end of the game.

Super super fun, and I successfully applied a lot of learned lessons from my learning game on Saturday.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options

3. Ravenor - Dan Abnett

5. Xenos - Dan Abnett
    6. Malleus - Dan Abnett

The below are all Abnett

Titanicus - an engine (Titans) book which I don’t think I’ve seen tipped if you like the subject matter

Double Eagle - it’s basically a WW2 fighter plane book strongly inspired by….well once you’ve read it you’ll see

Brotherhood of the Snake - a short collection of Space Marine stories

All pretty much standalone; all enjoyable.

Double Eagle does have characters that were introduced in a Gaunt’s Ghost novel. Two different ones actually.

• Options
    My brother named his dog after reading Titanicus

• Options
    Viking wrote: »

*looks at indomitus box....*
    so 2+ years from now?

I painted the necron half... this summer

• Options
    This was probably meant as a joke/demeaning, but a bunch of the schemes look really cool
    aai7ecbueno91.jpg?width=3000&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=d5dcf8d2135a5f0516a63ec3a9eca4718124fddb