Options

The 117th United States [Congress]

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Assuming this gets signed into law within a month or two, how long until the new Electric Vehicle Tax credit regime replaces the outgoing one? Is it immediate or generally done at the start of the new year?

I think the relevant cabinet secretary has to issue guidance by 12/31/22 if I'm reading it right.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Also going to point out that a fair bit of this stuff, is likely safe from republican fuckery for at least two years.

The prescription stuff should prove popular enough to reach ACA levels of acceptance. The climate change stuff probably melds with the existing local level stuff that has proven problematic for state and local republican parties to blow off. This all means that Biden is unlikely to be persuaded to roll that stuff back in the even that the GOP gains control of both chambers.

Past that point, I'm less optimistic because the GOP has become increasingly crazier and I'm not keen to bet on the average voter to not royally fuck things up. Partly, I don't think two years will be enough for everything to thoroughly entrench itself into broad public support, ACA took a damn long time to hit that.

Not sure we even have enough time for some of this stuff to start having a noticeable positive impact for the average voter to notice, but maybe it will. It at least has the good time to be getting coverage as things start to improve.

I mean the ACA took them literally failing to repeal it with control of both houses and the presidency before they really did stop. And even then they have tried to poison pill it at every turn.

No matter how popular something is they don't care.

Yeah, they acted squeamish about it at first but the last bill to fail was basically a full repeal and it was killed by McCain only because he was so intensely annoyed by McConnell rejecting traditional Senate procedures.

You're overlooking Sens Murkowski and Collins along with a unanimous Democratic caucus.

You are correct. I am overlooking them because I don't trust them not to fall in line when needed. McCain was the literal last vote at the last minute.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Assuming this gets signed into law within a month or two, how long until the new Electric Vehicle Tax credit regime replaces the outgoing one? Is it immediate or generally done at the start of the new year?

I think the relevant cabinet secretary has to issue guidance by 12/31/22 if I'm reading it right.

There's a super confusing bit whereby that is true for most sections, however the most recent public draft had the North American assembly requirement taking effect immediately upon enactment, but it is ambiguous what constitutes the enactment date.

And now I have two VW id.4s on order (with 1 to be cancelled).....

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Grassly is whining that the schedule changed and arguing that people need to elect Republicans so he can have a stable schedule.

Twitter is, of course, mocking the absolute shit out of him and I hope some Dems use that in a campaign ad.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Staffers are probably not going to sleep between now and Thursday writing the fiddley bits, so it's probably worth waiting until the final vote to figure out something that specific if it's relevant for you.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I don't actually think they have enough time to issue new guidance before the end of the year. Guess it'll depend on how much actually has to go into the guidance (if it's the type of rules guidance that requires public comment then there's no way they can accomplish that before the end of the year).

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular

There's a super confusing bit whereby that is true for most sections, however the most recent public draft had the North American assembly requirement taking effect immediately upon enactment, but it is ambiguous what constitutes the enactment date.

And now I have two VW id.4s on order (with 1 to be cancelled).....

Yeah I'm hoping to get a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid EV), but I guess the new regime means that PHEVs won't have a credit? And well I don't own a home and can't justify goin a full on EV yet, so if I can act with time I could probably secure the current credit before the end of this year. If the new credit regime takes place when its enacted then I guess no point in goin for a PHEV.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    So, just for kicks, anyone have any rough approximation of how much we lost from BBB to this?

Or even whatever shit manchin was suggesting as an alternative to BBB?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wait what? Are PHEVs not part of the tax credit?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    So, just for kicks, anyone have any rough approximation of how much we lost from BBB to this?

Or even whatever shit manchin was suggesting as an alternative to BBB?

I heard it's about 1/5 of what was initially pitched? But I can't find anything simple to back that up.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    From what I remember, Biden's initial campaign proposals and all that added up to ~$4trn. Where we currently stand is:

$1.9 trn American Rescue Plan
    $1.2 trn Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill)
    $0.74 trn Inflation Reduction Act ($0.3trn dedicated to deficit reduction)

Which amounts to basically $3.5 trn (subtracting deficit reduction since :roll: ) so not all that far off.

This is also ignoring the Postal Service Modernization Act which gave the USPS some money on top of eliminating unfunded liabilities, stuff rolled into the Defense Authorization Act, finally renewing the Violence Against Women Act, and all the money and arms we've given to Ukraine. (Also making lynching a federal offense a century+ late.)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    From what I remember, Biden's initial campaign proposals and all that added up to ~$4trn. Where we currently stand is:

$1.2 trn Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill)

Which amounts to basically $3.5 trn (subtracting deficit reduction since :roll: ) so not all that far off.

This is also ignoring the Postal Service Modernization Act which gave the USPS some money on top of eliminating unfunded liabilities, stuff rolled into the Defense Authorization Act, finally renewing the Violence Against Women Act, and all the money and arms we've given to Ukraine. (Also making lynching a federal offense a century+ late.)

But is it being spent on the same things that Biden's initial campaign proposals earmarked it for?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But is it being spent on the same things that Biden's initial campaign proposals earmarked it for?

Traditionally Congress doesn't give two shits about what the President wants in his budget. So probably not.

moniker on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Senator from Hawaii

We have a deal to take the biggest climate action in U.S. history. Every Senate Dem has agreed to it. I can think of lots of ways to strengthen it, but I won’t derail this bill by supporting changes. I will vote NO on all amendments - even for stuff I like. Let’s finish the job.

Just so people are forewarned. Looks like at least some Dems are already putting out the message that they're not giving a shit period about any performative stuff during vote-a-rama and just going to reflexively vote no on everything, whether they personally support it or not, to make sure the deal as it currently stands goes through.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I dont know how voting no on stuff makes it go faster? There's still a vote?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

It keeps them from introducing changes to a bill that then has to get agreed to as a whole, and then agreed to in the house.

It blocks the addition of ANY poison pills.

I am good with this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m 100% on board with “IT’S WORKING DON’T FUCKING TOUCH IT” as a policy at the moment

• Options
    I think it's more because they expect some people to toss in amendments that they know Manchin/Sinema don't like but are hugely popular, so they can screech "DEMOCRATS DON'T ACTUALLY SUPPORT FUNDING HEALTH CARE/ABORTION/BORDER SECURITY/WHATEVER." Not just on the Republican side, but in all cases.

Nobody remembers vote-a-rama stuff anyway, but I can understand wanting to cut off the inevitable screeching from the Twitter crowd assuming that this is now a MUST PASS so it's the perfect chance to tack on Random Thing, and that because Democrats voted against it, that again proves they're not serious about it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

He didn't say make it go faster, he said derail. This is the language as agreed upon. Vote-a-rama will take however long it is going to take, but the Bill will have the exact same text at the end as in the beginning. The House will also vote on it unamended to send to Biden immediately rather than going to Conference or kick it back to the Senate again to potentially fail.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Looks like the Parlimentarian has shot down one part of the bill

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/06/democrats-health-care-climate-tax-bill-00050201
    Still, Schumer lamented “one unfortunate ruling” earlier on Saturday, the loss of Democrats’ proposed prescription drug price benefits for the millions of Americans who get health insurance through private-sector employers. That was the sole major setback the bill experienced from the Senate’s nonpartisan rules referee, who decides which provisions are eligible for sidestepping a GOP filibuster under the chamber’s strict rules; Medicare-related drug price negotiation remained intact, as did the guts of the deal.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Medicare being able to negotiate drug prices should hopefully have spillover effects for everyone else, at least.

Plus, you know, cheaper drugs for my folks.

moniker on
  • Options
    Looks like the Parlimentarian has shot down one part of the bill

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/06/democrats-health-care-climate-tax-bill-00050201
    Still, Schumer lamented “one unfortunate ruling” earlier on Saturday, the loss of Democrats’ proposed prescription drug price benefits for the millions of Americans who get health insurance through private-sector employers. That was the sole major setback the bill experienced from the Senate’s nonpartisan rules referee, who decides which provisions are eligible for sidestepping a GOP filibuster under the chamber’s strict rules; Medicare-related drug price negotiation remained intact, as did the guts of the deal.

The parliamentarian has made their judgement, now let them enforce it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Something to campaign on

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    If fighting it will derail the bill, probably not worth fighting it. Not entirely sure how the rules work there and the risks of telling the parliamentarian off.

If they can't salvage it in this bill. Then put together a new bill that includes and put it up for a vote. Sure the GOP will filibuster it, but they can then hang the GOP for doing so. Everyone, including democrats, needs to remember that the biggest strength of McConnell's no bullshit, was preventing stuff coming up for any votes, if he felt that it would make the GOP look bad. That also included votes to end filibusters. So democrats should absolutely queue up all that shit and have votes on till election day.

Either they make the GOP cave on stuff or they get to drove home what assholes the GOP are and that maybe convinces some to either show up and vote for a change or if they did already show up, to maybe not vote for republicans.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    score another one another one for "fire the parliamentarian"

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Manchin supposedly wants the insulin thing, despite his daughter. So it's Sinema's crazy ass and the Senate establishment jerks (Warner, King, Coons) that would be a danger. That $35 insulin cap is supposedly getting a vote to overrule, the other prescription drug stuff I think is not. At least that was the case four hours ago and who knows if it's been stable.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Is the vote to overrule the parliamentarian also a 50 vote threshold?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Its great having a single unelected individual decide when democracy is not good enough and you need super democracy.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Its great having a single unelected individual decide when democracy is not good enough and you need super democracy.

The Parliamentarian does not set the Rules of the Senate, the Senators do that collectively, she just enforces the rules the Senate has collectively agreed upon.

• Options

To be clear, what's going on here is:

The parliamentarian has advised that the insulin cap stuff for non-Medicare patients on private insurance violates the Byrd rule. For Medicare, it's still in.

Rather than removing it from the bill, Dems are leaving it in.

While the bill is being read, someone (a Republican) may now a raise a point of order to strike it from the bill based on the parliamentarian's judgement that it violates the Byrd Rule.

At this point, there's a vote on whether or not to overrule the parliamentarian's judgement (60 needed).

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I hate how they can't actually show up to vote. Up to an hour with it open so far.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It's actually 50 or more elected individuals deciding to let this single person adjudicate the dumb rules they've decided to enforce upon themselves.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I hate how they can't actually show up to vote. Up to an hour with it open so far.

Hilariously "getting legislators to show up and do their fucking jobs" is a problem going back literally centuries.

• Options
    Got to 50, once they close this and have Harris vote, we can start the 20 hours of debate.

• Options
    Got to 50, once they close this and have Harris vote, we can start the 20 hours of debate.

Senate hours. Which is like Metric time. So probably finished around Tuesday.

• Options

The parliamentarian's role is advisory, the Presiding Officer (usually the Vice-President) can overrule them.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Bloomberg

MANCHIN indicates he won’t go along with any GOP amendments to the bill. “I’m protecting the integrity of the bill”

Manchin is also saying he doesn't give a shit what any GOP amendments are and is going to vote no on everything, sight unseen. Whitehouse (the RI Senator, not the White House) is also claiming it's a full caucus agreement.

They also apparently added an extra $35 billion revenue to it via changing some language in the book minimum tax that Republicans are currently throwing a shitfit about, saying that it targets small/medium businesses, but it looks like it was just changed to include subsidiaries, so it's just dumb screeching over closing a loophole. The tax still specifically only targets companies with >$1 billion in profit.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The one thing we can benefit about Manchin is that he knows what power is, and he knows if this deal doesn't go through now, he is fucked.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The one thing we can benefit about Manchin is that he knows what power is, and he knows if this deal doesn't go through now, he is fucked.

"when it's my name on the thing, 'bipartisanship' can get stuffed."

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.