Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Man, now I want a game in the style of Dragon Quest Builders.

Make your own microregion, block by block! Match Pokemon to trainers and watch your settlements prosper from their cooperation!

...BRB learning Unreal Engine.

its crazy that square has both DQM and DQB and hasnt figured out to just smash them together. instead we get stuff like DQ treasures and whatever jank nonsense the newest DQM is. like guys you have a huge catalogue of monsters and are doing nothing with it. even moreso they also have everything from FF to play with as well.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    World of Final Fantasy is a very fun monster battler game with unique mechanics and it was majorly slept on, so I'm not surprised that they haven't tried another one with the FF IP.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Seems to me like a big pull of Pokemon-likes is that you have to have a good mix of creatures that are both "cute" and "cool." I haven't played much FF but I was under the impression that most of their monsters are in the "cool" column and not many would be considered "cute." Dragon Quest meets that criterion, though.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of cute monsters in world of FF

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So the reward for spending all this time searching for the seals is a legendary… goldfish? At least I finally got one open , had all of them on the last chain . Time for the rest.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 4
    I keep thinking I'll try out competitive but there's just way too many important mons not actually available in this game, which feels like a thing that should not be allowed in your competitive formats balancing. like part of my scarlet/violet team building should not be "play all of legends arceus"

also "big pile of legends" format sounds way more boring than "here's the new generation and things are actually different than incineroar + landorus yet again"

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Well, you don’t need to play Legends to get ‘mons from there. Trading does exist. I haven’t played it and I still have a living dex heh

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I meant that mostly as like "it's the most direct official way to get a landorus/thundurus/etc." That also includes options like having caught one in pogo or found through dynamax adventures and then transferred.

I think the legends are the big wrinkle though. Like... at least event mythicals are almost never legal.

like I would just absolutely never trust a GTS legend or like a random internet board trade to not be faked and I've received enough surprise trade mons named [scamsite].net to be able to masterball every legend in the DLC

• Options
    yeah i wanted to do a little bit of competitive in sword and shield, and the number of hoops you have to jump through to get something battle ready is daunting. and thats even after they made some things streamlined and had things like the golden bottle caps. and i hate when they progress through the seasons and start allowing legendaries and mythics because there are almost zero used in competitive that arent hacked.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Hacking concerns are basically irrelevant now, it's purely availability of a pokémon that matters. Everything about them can be legally modified instantly. The only thing that takes work is wanting a 0 speed IV for a trick room team.

I don't think legends are quite as big a deal as their large base stat totals make them out to be, you can certainly climb to Master rank successfully without using any at all.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    That was always my issue with competitive: the dependence on the Legendary Pokemon meant that if you wanted a couple of different team options, you were going to be replaying games since 90% of all new Pokemon with competitive stats were unique and unbreakable. And of course, nobody really wanted to trade those Pokemon so you public trading was going to get you either hacked Mons or people asking for level 100 Mews or whatever.

It's good to hear that the problem is lessened now since I could theoretically completely retrain those Pokemon, but it still annoys me that I'm still limited to one per replay. Plus I think the genies all look super dumb and I never want to put a Landorus on my team, ever.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 4
    I'm pretty sure Lando has been knocked down a rung or two in SV. Definitely the most important legend is Urshifu, and Ogrepon is considered top tier as well.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    i actually like the cloud forms of the genies, its the therian forms which are generally better that look stupid

• Options
    My 9yo got way into pokemon over the holidays, completed Scarlet and all the DLC, is legendary hunting, etc etc and…

2pm6cf28n6a1.jpeg

• Options
    edited February 11
    Nm I got them through raids !

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I bought Pokemon Violet from Amazon, and started it briefly over the weekend. I have probably <2 hours of playtime right now.

The game definitely has some jank. Shadows do really weird stuff, and they seem to pop in and out on occasion, depending on how I move my camera. The game also has really bad pop-in. Even in cutscenes I've noticed some pop-in, which is a little distracting, but not the end of the world.

One thing I'm noticing right away about the starting area in this game is that the variety of available Pokemon is insanely high. I'm like level 9 or something, and I already have a fairly complete type-coverage team. Also, I caught a Ralts in the first area which is fantastic since Gardevoir is my lifelong partner Pokemon. Generally speaking, I like to focus on using new 'mons in each generation, since that's the new stuff. But hey, if they're going to throw a Ralts at me in the first area of the game, I will definitely use it.

Also!

I caught a Shiny Azurill in the first area. It's my first ever naturally occurring shiny that I have ever found. It's not my first shiny. I've gotten some via breeding and the Masuda method, and I got pretty good at chaining back in original Diamond/Pearl. But this is the first time I've just randomly found a shiny.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the game just has ridiculous variety basically everywhere. I think I hit 20+ entries in the pokedex by the time I got to Megasoza for the first time.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the game just has ridiculous variety basically everywhere. I think I hit 20+ entries in the pokedex by the time I got to Megasoza for the first time.

Yep, I was just trying to fill up my Pokedex and wound up evolving Fuecoco before I got to the school just from catching Pokemon

Chall on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I like to imagine that my character got called up to the Chairman's office to answer for his tardiness in arriving the first day, and just kind of wordlessly dumped fifty filled pokeballs out of his backpack in response.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I'm currently trying to breed a shiny impidimp, and my kids have been watching me do the masuda method and they'll take turns "walking around" to hatch the eggs, but we haven't been very lucky yet.

The other day, during one of these hatching sessions, we came upon a naturally occurring shiny Mamoswine, which I did catch, but it was this hilarious moment of just, god damn it. Can not hatch a shiny impidimp to save my life, and I came upon a natural shiny for a pokemon that looks like a pile of yellow/green hair that looks like shit. When you evolve it, it looks like a visibly sick/malnurished mammoth. We named him Porkchop.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I routinely run into random shiny Pokemon while trying to hatch something specific, or while trying to do something like find and beat all of the trainers in the Terrarium of the Indigo Disk. My favorite one was when a shiny Granbull just wandered up while I was in a trainer battle and watched the whole thing before I beat the trainer and caught it. I have three full boxes of shinies and am working on the fourth. It's getting out of hand.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to breed a shiny impidimp, and my kids have been watching me do the masuda method and they'll take turns "walking around" to hatch the eggs, but we haven't been very lucky yet.

The other day, during one of these hatching sessions, we came upon a naturally occurring shiny Mamoswine, which I did catch, but it was this hilarious moment of just, god damn it. Can not hatch a shiny impidimp to save my life, and I came upon a natural shiny for a pokemon that looks like a pile of yellow/green hair that looks like shit. When you evolve it, it looks like a visibly sick/malnurished mammoth. We named him Porkchop.

Did this happen in Scarlet/Violet, or Sword/Shield?

I hatched a shiny Impidimp using the Masuda method in Sword. It took probably close to 250 eggs.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

Did this happen in Scarlet/Violet, or Sword/Shield?

I hatched a shiny Impidimp using the Masuda method in Sword. It took probably close to 250 eggs.

it's in Scarlet. We're probably somewhere in the 600-700 region by now. With just the masuda method, not having the shiny charm, you're looking at something like 2k eggs for a pretty much guaranteed shiny, so we just have not been lucky at this point.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I haven't seen a full-odds natural shiny in S/V.... at least I don't think I have until I went to my trainer profile and it was like "Shiny Battled: 57" and I'm like "wut? NO"

Is it counting other people's shinies in tera raids or something? There's no way I've somehow missed the sparkles on *60* gd wild pokemon.

• Options
    akjak wrote: »
    I haven't seen a full-odds natural shiny in S/V.... at least I don't think I have until I went to my trainer profile and it was like "Shiny Battled: 57" and I'm like "wut? NO"

Is it counting other people's shinies in tera raids or something? There's no way I've somehow missed the sparkles on *60* gd wild pokemon.

Do you do a lot of Tera raids? Because for some reason Tera raids don't show sparkles even if the Pokemon is shiny. Mine's around 30 which I definitely don't remember that many and I have caught a couple shiny Tera raids Pokemon without realizing it

• Options
    Chall wrote: »

Do you do a lot of Tera raids? Because for some reason Tera raids don't show sparkles even if the Pokemon is shiny. Mine's around 30 which I definitely don't remember that many and I have caught a couple shiny Tera raids Pokemon without realizing it

Oooh, that must be it. Dang. So I guess I should just catch everything in a Tera raid? I pass on most of them.

• Options
    edited February 13

Oooh, that must be it. Dang. So I guess I should just catch everything in a Tera raid? I pass on most of them.

I do, it's a guaranteed catch even with a regular ball so it doesn't cost much

Oh, on that topic I'm catching a lot of Luvdisc since from now until Thursday there's an event with special Luvdisc raids and 5-star ones give tons of L and XL exp candy

Chall on
  • Options
    So I always wanted to do a weather team so I settled on doing a sand team.

Current iteration

Tyranitar leads with sandstorm ability sets stealth rocks does damage if it’s safe for him to do so
    Excadril is the big offensive threat
    Garchomp being awesome
    Skarmory as a phys wall and utility
    Clodsire with water absorb and toxic and spikes
    Magnezone

So yeah team has real big problems but I like them all so I don’t know who to replace . I guess I could replace Magnezone with a better special sweeper for type coverage and for an easier time to get around phys walls . Suggestions ?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I don't have practical experience to relay, but I'll note that there are a few ways to cheat Sandstorm damage without being one of the three innately immune types: any of the "Sand" Abilities confers Sandstorm immunity, as do Magic Guard and Overcoat. The item Safety Goggles provides immunity to weather and a few other things, so that's one free Pokémon slot to put the monster of your choice in with whatever attributes you want.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    God I hate how waiting for eggs locks you out of everything. Let me look at my boxes , look at the Pokédex fucking anything other then go afk …

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    God I hate how waiting for eggs locks you out of everything. Let me look at my boxes , look at the Pokédex fucking anything other then go afk …

Yeah I don't get why people like this. At least with the old way you could do other things while you wait. Not like theres an open world full of stuff or anything

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The usual Pokemon Day video has been announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsuUgj25lY

Place your bets, people. Are we getting Ebony Black and Ivory White this year, or not?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited February 20
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The usual Pokemon Day video has been announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsuUgj25lY

Place your bets, people. Are we getting Ebony Black and Ivory White this year, or not?

My guess (based on nothing really) is first 3 generation games released for digital purchase, and maybe a teaser for the next side game.

But since that will most likely be out on the Super Ultra Switch Deluxe U, they won't be able to give many details until that's announced

Chall on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Something Johto is my guess, Legends Celebi first choice, but I'd accept a Let's Go Togepi or Wooper

• Options
    If it’s Johto I don’t trust them enough to maintain the amazing quality of HG/SS. Which to me is still the high point of the series even if I loved gen 9.

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Something Johto is my guess, Legends Celebi first choice, but I'd accept a Let's Go Togepi or Wooper

Haha. Ive been playing since Gen 1, and beyond nostalgia, I really enjoyed Lets Go Eevee. There was a nice simplicity of a world without 1000+ mons. I have bounced off Scarlet and Arceus because theres too much there for me.

Releasing more old games digitally would be awesome. Would they release the originals or like... Fire Red?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    I'm honestly curious what will be in the Pokemon Presents thing. As far as I can recall there aren't really any major announced projects that haven't come out at this point that I can think of (I feel like Detective Pikachu 2 was the last holdout). So I kinda feel like they have to announce something here, but also it feels odd for them to announce more major Switch titles when Switch 2 has gotta be around the corner. Really curious. I'll be disappointed if it's just the same boring mobile game shit they always do and nothing else (there's pretty much always stuff for Pokemon Go, Cafe Remix, Masters EX and Pokemon Unite). Just give me one major-ish game that doesn't look like trash plz. Doesn't even have to be a mainline title - I would settle for a spinoff game like Detective Pikachu or Pokemon Snap (as long as it looks good)

Side note, one of these days I will get the motivation to pick back up the Indigo Disk DLC again. I stopped a little way into it and got distracted. If it's anything like Teal Mask it's probably not super long tho.

Edit: Oh also, I tried to finally watch Pokemon Concierge last night. Does that show get any better? :/ I watched the first episode and kind of hated the shit out of it. Especially the art style and animation. Could not get over main character's giraffe neck XD But also like literally nothing happened at all. I could see some people maybe finding the very laid back style relaxing or something but it kind of had the opposite effect on me :P (honestly still stresses me out a little thinking about it :P) I'm still not sure if I'm gonna bother with any more episodes - it didn't seem like the show was really for me :/

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    So the reward for spending all this time searching for the seals is a legendary… goldfish? At least I finally got one open , had all of them on the last chain . Time for the rest.

That goldfish has committed war crimes.

Shit. I didn't know that. Well, not a big deal for me. I've got pretty much all the shinies I want from this game anyhow.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Zython wrote: »

Shit. I didn't know that. Well, not a big deal for me. I've got pretty much all the shinies I want from this game anyhow.

By "don't show sparkles" does that just literally mean the sparkles, or the shiny color as well? I could see the sparkle FX not playing properly in a tera raid because GameFreak but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least the correct color (not that you can tell the difference with a bunch of the shinies). Honestly though I think shinies from tera raids are just stupid rare. AFAIK they are not boosted by things like Shiny Charm so it's basically a full odds shiny chance no matter what boosts you might otherwise have. I've done tons of tera raids and have never seen one.

(that said I did find a stupid amount of full odds shinies in the wild.. granted, the sample size is huge compared to tera raids too :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

By "don't show sparkles" does that just literally mean the sparkles, or the shiny color as well? I could see the sparkle FX not playing properly in a tera raid because GameFreak but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least the correct color (not that you can tell the difference with a bunch of the shinies). Honestly though I think shinies from tera raids are just stupid rare. AFAIK they are not boosted by things like Shiny Charm so it's basically a full odds shiny chance no matter what boosts you might otherwise have. I've done tons of tera raids and have never seen one.

(that said I did find a stupid amount of full odds shinies in the wild.. granted, the sample size is huge compared to tera raids too :P)

It should still be the shiny color but with the Tera glow and the crystal texture and weird lights I definitely find it hard to tell unless it's like, a gold Magikarp instead of an orange one. The sparkles definitely never show and I don't think it's a glitch since they never pop but I believe they do for other players' Pokemon.