Options

The MCU Multiverse Appreciation Station [Open Spoilers]

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Basically Superman Lady will probably still be around, depending on what happens in The Marvels.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Loki S202

That key lime pie was nuclear green. Every time I get one in real life that's a pale yellow it's going to be so disappointing.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

This could actually be a funny gimmick if they kept the TV theme from Wandavision and the show's subtitle changed every episode (along with other Duck Amuck style 4th wall shenanigans).

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Werewolf by Night in Color! looked...pretty good? I think the black and white version is preferable but they did a good job making the color version pop.

The ending loses a bit by having the whole thing in color, but otherwise it's fine.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's still very funny to me that instead of doing something new this year, they just put out last years special again but in color, when being b&w was kind of the point.

Just real big "we're out of ideas" energy.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    It probably should have been released as a bonus feature or shortly after, especially since Giacchino had the colorized version finished before the original aired. But it sounds like they had a blast putting it together, so at least it was something they wanted to do rather than some afterthought corporate mandate.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Werewolf by Night wasn't even an hour long and was well received, you'd think they could just drop another short special without too much trouble. It already showed you don't need a large cast, lots of CG, or a bunch of different locations.

Jack Russell or Elsa Bloodstone both have enough to work with, or they could explore another weird corner of the Marvel horror stories.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Werewolf by Night wasn't even an hour long and was well received, you'd think they could just drop another short special without too much trouble. It already showed you don't need a large cast, lots of CG, or a bunch of different locations.

Jack Russell or Elsa Bloodstone both have enough to work with, or they could explore another weird corner of the Marvel horror stories.

Sequel Werewolf by Day where it's just Jack calling up Comcast to lower his bill, going shopping, etc.

Yeah another short one with Jack or Elsa or more adventures with Jack and Ted.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It's a shame that The Marvels is probably gonna bomb (as much as an MCU movie probably can bomb) cause it genuinely looks fun.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Why would it bomb? Captain Marvel did very well.

• Options
    Pure anecdote but there seems to be less hype for this than any previous movie.

It also requires to be at least familiar with two Disney+ shows, and it feels like the people are growing tired of having to seen anything before going to a marvel movie.

And ticket sales are trending lower than most MCU movies.

I hope I'm wrong for sure but to me it's not looking great.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

It also requires to be at least familiar with two Disney+ shows, and it feels like the people are growing tired of having to seen anything before going to a marvel movie.

I would not worry about how well it does at the box office and just enjoy the movie.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    It doesn't help that the trailers I've seen on TV and in streaming service breaks are fucking terrible, they're half footage from the Avengers and try to center the movie entirely on Captain Marvel and unless I completely missed my early read she's not actually the central character. Guardians of the Galaxy should have proven that you could do a movie with a bunch of characters that almost nobody's ever heard of, just pretend those shows never happened in your trailers and hype up the whole cast and girl team aspect of the movie, it could work!

Peen on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The first Captain Marvel came out between Infinity War and Endgame, which was honestly the peak of the MCU's popularity. Brie Larson had just won an Oscar. They hadn't had any woman led movies in the MCU. There are more than a few reasons that movie opened as big as it did, even with the backlash from the dipshit brigade.

The Marvels is coming out months after Quantumania, which fell off a cliff, and Guardians 3, which many people are sort of treating as an epilogue to the MCU. They're in the middle of building to their next Avengers movie, built around a villain that is played by a dude that is, at the very least, a huge asshole. Superhero movie fatigue has set in hard, not helped by a series of Disney+ shows that have increasingly landed with a thud. Two of the main characters in this movie are a side character from the first Disney+ MCU show that was...pretty extraneous to everything going on in it, and pretty far removed from the parts of the show that people loved. The other was in a pretty good D+ series (imo) that nobody fucking watched. Brie Larson has largely retreated from being a movie star so she can plug her husband's dipshit NFT stuff. We're in the middle of an actor's strike, so none of the actors can promote the movie, and I don't think anybody can tell you what the next MCU movie is. The movie has already been delayed, meaning that, like...McDonalds did a tie-in for the movie in fucking...July?

Frankly, it'd be more shocking if it didn't tank, a bit. The entire MCU is running on fumes at this point, and the momentum they were able to gather pre-Infinity War/Endgame to get people to go "I have to watch this next movie," is fuckin' gone. That's got nothing to do with the Marvels as a movie on its own, which might well be pretty good! But the world's soured a bit on Marvel and Disney of late.

• Options
    The weird thing is Quantumania didn't do that much worse than Ant-Man 2 in the states; but it's international box office was almost half.

• Options
    Quantumania did extremely well in its opening weekend, and then fell off of a cliff because it was extremely bad and nobody wanted to see it a second time

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

I would not worry about how well it does at the box office and just enjoy the movie.

It's not going to affect my enjoyment but I also think if the movie starring 3 women (2 who are poc) bombs, there may be less of them in the future, which would be a bummer.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm not getting the massive resistance to just straight up recast Kang. You don't even need to story pivot, just hire another actor. You've done it before. Multiple times.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm not getting the massive resistance to just straight up recast Kang. You don't even need to story pivot, just hire another actor. You've done it before. Multiple times.

Yeah, they have precedent both with casting a new actor in the exact same role and using different actors to play a different version of the character. They have plausibility fuckin' built in to the whole franchise.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

Yeah, they have precedent both with casting a new actor in the exact same role and using different actors to play a different version of the character. They have plausibility fuckin' built in to the whole franchise.

And they have the in-fiction excuse of the multiverse.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Loki S205

No wonder Mobius didn't have any desire to go look at his timeline life.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Looks like they're bringing in a little more netflix style with that one.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That does look significantly more interesting than anything else in the MCU right now.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    That does look significantly more interesting than anything else in the MCU right now.

Loki is firing on all cylinders right now, but generally yes.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Loki is firing on all cylinders right now, but generally yes.

Yeah, no, Loki is great. But it's also a show about a time traveling Norse god doing Men in Black things.

Echo looks raw.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I have not been impressed by Loki this entire season. I'm watching it out of obligation at this point. Haven't seen the most recent episode yet though.

Echo looks interesting, and it's TV-MA which is not usually Marvel's thing.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Loki is a showcase for Hiddleston to keep doing his thing, and I do like watching him do that thing, but it has really failed to muster any coherent motivations or emotional arcs for basically any other character (as of episode 3 at least). Also I thought Majors's performance in that episode was really weird and grating, what is this guy doing. Can we get him out of here already

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve been enjoying Loki quite a bit

I had a good chuckle at the speech Loki gave to Mobius to convince him because it literally could have been the exact same words but spoken by the Doctor to a companion and it would fit perfectly.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Loki is a showcase for Hiddleston to keep doing his thing, and I do like watching him do that thing, but it has really failed to muster any coherent motivations or emotional arcs for basically any other character (as of episode 3 at least). Also I thought Majors's performance in that episode was really weird and grating, what is this guy doing. Can we get him out of here already

Episode 4
    well I guess I got my wish re: getting rid of Majors
    I'm sure another version of him will crop up but I laughed my ass off at him getting spaghettified

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I guess I don't understand what everyone wants out of the MCU? It's a bunch of super hero movies made for the masses and they continue to do that, even in the "TV" stuff. I guess I'm the idiot that just sits back, watches it, and goes "eh, alright, that was entertaining, now to move on with my day"? Probably folly to say anything further.

EDIT: Yes i realize the irony of actually commenting on a thing where it sounds like I don't care about it jog on.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It’s mediocre, which is disappointing but also who really cares.

• Options
    If they were just mediocre movies, it'd be one thing, but they also dominated screens at movie theaters, leaving little room for non-superhero movies, while many of the more hardcore fans of the franchise would act wounded anytime someone would complain about them, as if they weren't a dominant cultural force. I also think that possibly a lot of people for sure have the impression that these movies and shows have gotten worse over time, or the latter movies have made them reevaluate the earlier movies, as well.

Also: a lot of people are deeply annoyed with Disney for being a huge monopoly and making a ton of big blockbuster movies that look like shit and put non-union CG studios through hell and then blame them when the CG looks like shit

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    They're just fine, and for me that's okay. This dumb comic shit can just be fine and that's alright it doesn't have to be like "good" it's comic book shit who gives a fuck, It could be way more dumb and way more fun but guess what we don't control that. It' stupid. It's all stupid.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    If they were just mediocre movies, it'd be one thing, but they also dominated screens at movie theaters, leaving little room for non-superhero movies, while many of the more hardcore fans of the franchise would act wounded anytime someone would complain about them, as if they weren't a dominant cultural force. I also think that possibly a lot of people for sure have the impression that these movies and shows have gotten worse over time, or the latter movies have made them reevaluate the earlier movies, as well.

Also: a lot of people are deeply annoyed with Disney for being a huge monopoly and making a ton of big blockbuster movies that look like shit and put non-union CG studios through hell and then blame them when the CG looks like shit

Right, but that’s the studio’s fault. It has nothing to do with the movies themselves.

Though I can understand being salty that if this is the crap that’s going to push everything else out, the least it could do is be good.

Edit:
    https://youtu.be/cX-ODTWLrOA?si=V0E8_sFAahOACzX4
    “If I throw this pen at you, are you going to blame me or have a little fist fight with the pen?”

sarukun on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I am cautiously, cautiously optimistic about that Echo show. The trailer has a sense of style, the story seems to be foregrounding adult emotions, Sydney Freeland did some directing on it, I spotted Tantoo Cardinal in there, there are positive signs of life there.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my mom frantically scrolled through her facebook feed to show me the trailer for Echo because my mom fucking loves Vincent D'Onofrio

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I gave my wife a Cliff''s Notes version of the marvel trio tonight. Daughter is doing a movie & pizza party for her birthday and they'll be watching The Marvels.

- We watched all of Captain Marvel.
    - Fired up Wandavision, skipping to when Lt Trouble busted through the barrier on her own.
    - Finally went to Ms Marvel, played some of the big cgi fight then went to when she was taking to her Dad on the roof.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    On my Daredevil rewatch and Season 1 of that show just sets an unfair standard that none of the other Marvel shows have ever reached. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage had times where their ceiling was higher, but their lows were lower and just weren't as consistent as that show and it has so many great performances. I'm starting Episode 8 and it starts with Kingpin just doing his morning routine with no dialogue and it just does a great job of showing his character even though you know a lot about him already.

MCU will never create any scene as compelling as when child Wilson Fisk kills his father to stop him beating his mother and then she tells him to get a saw to cut the body up.

I'm skipping Loki, since I don't care about that character and I didn't like season 1, but I'll check out Echo as Hawkeye was the best work the MCU tv has done. The Netflix series really crushed it on 4 of the 6 IPs they got.

Magell on
  • Options
    I don't know if I loved Daredevil as much as everyone else but I will say that Iron Fist and Defenders are as bad as if not worse than any other MCU project, so they really showed some range there