Options

The MCU Multiverse Appreciation Station [Open Spoilers]

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The Marvels war crimes
    They wanted Carol to be responsible for something bad, but also didn't want her to really DO anything bad, so the compromise came out REALLY stupid.

Carol: I directly killed the leadership responsible for making the Kree a genocidal, kidnapping evil empire.
    Seems defensible, yeah.
    Carol: Then they spiraled into Civil War and blew up their own infrastructure and... extinguished their own sun? Somehow?
    Sounds like they did that, to themselves. Sad, but ultimately the responsibility of the people who did it.
    Carol: I thought I should help them, but couldn't figure out how to.
    Well... you're a soldier, not a politician or diplomat, so that checks out.
    Monica: You could reignite their sun for them.
    Wha... huh???

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Technically there is a connection between Secret Invasion and The Marvels, it's utterly pointless and doesn't add anything to the movie, but it's there. Technically.
    At the end of Secret Invasion, Fury is planning on negotiating with the Kree to make a sanctuary world for the Skrulls. I'm pretty sure that's the Skrull planet that gets screwed over in the Marvels.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm genuinely unsure that there exists a world where they make the Marvels at the point in time they made the Marvels and it turns out to be a critical and commercial success. Just way too much was stacked against this movie being able to exist as the goofy superhero movie it clearly wants to be.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Marvels war crimes
    They wanted Carol to be responsible for something bad, but also didn't want her to really DO anything bad, so the compromise came out REALLY stupid.

Carol: I directly killed the leadership responsible for making the Kree a genocidal, kidnapping evil empire.
    Seems defensible, yeah.
    Carol: Then they spiraled into Civil War and blew up their own infrastructure and... extinguished their own sun? Somehow?
    Sounds like they did that, to themselves. Sad, but ultimately the responsibility of the people who did it.
    Wha... huh???

The timeline is also weird
    and makes the kree look even worse. The villain says she's been there leading the kree in the aftermath of the sun dying for 30 years in a speech she gives after going space balls on the refugee planet.

So the kree immediately after loosing their leader got rid of their atmosphere, boiled away their oceans, and blew up their sun. Like within months maybe?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I feel the marvels only real weak points was the intro and the first planet. The intro was clunky and boring and the first planet is just so boring compared to the second one. The rest of the movie is actively trying to have fun and mostly succeeds.

Well that and the entire goose subplot seemed to have no consequence to anything that happened.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    honovere wrote: »
    The Marvels war crimes

Seems defensible, yeah.
    Wha... huh???

The timeline is also weird
    and makes the kree look even worse. The villain says she's been there leading the kree in the aftermath of the sun dying for 30 years in a speech she gives after going space balls on the refugee planet.

So the kree immediately after loosing their leader got rid of their atmosphere, boiled away their oceans, and blew up their sun. Like within months maybe?

The Marvels and Thor: L&T, no plot specifics but just in case:
    Both The Marvels and Love and Thunder had some really heavy themes in their movies, the protagonist causing the collapse of an entire civilisation though her violent intervention in the Marvels and one of the main characters dealing with a fatal cancer diagnosis and the villain angered by the apathy of gods who would allow such things in Thor. Both those things could make for amazing movies if they wanted to actually delve into the topics raised, but in both cases they just want a silly screwball comedy, so have to try as hard as they can to actively ignore their own plots. I hope Marvel has the confidence going forward to still be willing to have a movie that takes its plot seriously with some moments of levity, like Civil War or Thor Ragnarok, rather than hoping tripling down on the humour like Love and Thunder will pull them out of their current rut.

LJDouglas on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I was gonna post it after I watched it for myself

You know, after the Superbowl

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Deadpool trailer spoilers.
    Weirdly hadn’t considered the TVA being used outside of Loki so it shocked me a bit when they showed up. Guess it makes sense to get Deadpool over.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I watched The Marvels with my kids once it came out, and I wish more of it was the Aladna stuff. If the entire movie was them palling around with Captain Marvel and revealing all the weird space shit she's getting up to off screen in all of the other movies, it would have been really good. Instead it was just a bunch of mush with some good/neat ideas. It felt incredibly rushed and just, very surface level from every aspect.

"this is a planet where their language is song" is such a good bit, and they do a lot of fun stuff with it in a very short amount of time. It's also a funny way to showcase Larson's singing ability, which I haven't seen since Scott Pilgrim? There needed to be more of this!

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    They correctly understood that The Marvels should be a fun hangout movie about women becoming friends and working together... and then bolted on genocidal stakes to it anyway. The center doesn't hold on that, at all.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Cast announced for the Fantastic Four

sgihebgzpibl.jpeg
    Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Joseph Quinn

honovere on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Eddie from Stranger Things is Human Torch? Yeah, I think that fits.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    That Fantastic 4 poster is the closest thing I really have to active hope for the MCU. I'll take it

Edit: to be clear I am not entirely counting Deadpool 3 in that regard because it still feels more like a legacy Fox X-Men thing til proven otherwise

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Weirdly hadn’t considered the TVA being used outside of Loki so it shocked me a bit when they showed up. Guess it makes sense to get Deadpool over.
    Looks like they're doing a Planet of the Apes thing with the 20th Century Fox logo instead of the Statue of Liberty

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    also Zoomers are super into MF Doom now if my social media algorithm is any indication so the world might genuinely be ready for an unapologetically comic book-ass Dr Doom on the big screen

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    unapologetically comic book-ass Dr Doom on the big screen

Man, let's fuckin' hope so

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Looks like they're doing a Planet of the Apes thing with the 20th Century Fox logo instead of the Statue of Liberty

I'd bet that was just for the trailer. A bit of CGI background that was redone to make the frame by frame crowd go wild and feed the algorithm.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I'd bet that was just for the trailer. A bit of CGI background that was redone to make the frame by frame crowd go wild and feed the algorithm.

No, there have already been set pictures of those scenes and
    there is a big-ass broken Fox logo on the set. My guess is this is some part of the End-of-Time area from Loki with a bunch of detritus and characters that have been forgotten about

• Options
    I'm onmobile so I'm not sure how big this is
    y7h7rfktgi13.jpg

• Options
    Okay, happy to be wrong here.
    Glad I didn't say something stupid like "I'll eat my dick..." or whatever the current meme bet is.

• Options
    Glad I didn't say something stupid like "I'll eat my dick..." or whatever the current meme bet is.

I mean, you can still try to eat your own dick if you want, it could be funny

• Options
    Chall wrote: »

I mean, you can still try to eat your own dick if you want, it could be funny

Dude, I turn 45 next month, my spine wouldn't even let me even make the attempt as a joke.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure we stopped making dick eating bets four or five years ago, on account of having eaten all our dicks.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we stopped making dick eating bets four or five years ago, on account of having eaten all our dicks.

You don't have to do it raw, I made mine into a sort of Dong Wellington with pastry and mushrooms.

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »

You don't have to do it raw, I made mine into a sort of Dong Wellington with pastry and mushrooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCgJL-iklEM

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I like Pascal but he's 48, by the time any filming is done he'll probably be at least 49, a sequel pushing mid 50s. He's older than Downey Jr was in Iron Man and Downey Jr had the benefit of looking much younger than he is. Plus he's nearly 15 years older than his leading lady.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I like Pascal but he's 48, by the time any filming is done he'll probably be at least 49, a sequel pushing mid 50s. He's older than Downey Jr was in Iron Man and Downey Jr had the benefit of looking much younger than he is. Plus he's nearly 15 years older than his leading lady.

Reed's supposed to be older, no?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I don't believe pp has it in him to play a person who gets too wrapped up in his work that he ignores his wife.
    The man extrudes "I am a giving lover" energy

• Options
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I don't believe pp has it in him to play a person who gets too wrapped up in his work that he ignores his wife.
    The man extrudes "I am a giving lover" energy

b425c4ac585310ff4c0e4b78d54487ab.gif

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Wasn't one of the main complaints of the Reed in the second attempt was that he was too young?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    If you're thinking (the general you, not anyone here) that Reed should be young and jacked so he can do lots of physical stunts... you are writing the wrong character. Stop what you are doing immediately. You may be thinking of Johnny Storm, actually.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Wasn't one of the main complaints of the Reed in the second attempt was that he was too young?

After the movie came out I don't think it was the major complain about the movie anymore.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Pedro Pascal is the surrogate father to the orphaned Storm siblings?

That's a bold direction, especially as we're going to skip past the "cute kids" phase

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    No older then
    Ringo wrote: »

That's a bold direction, especially as we're going to skip past the "cute kids" phase

huh?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

She's holding his hands and has a heart-shaped box of chocolates in her lap?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    No older then

huh?

I think he's comparing the ages of Pascal and Kirby, but it's not...too bad. He's 48 and she is 35. Like it's annoying in the way it seems all movies do this specific thing but it's not the worst version of it.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 14
    Pedro Pascal has two recent prominent roles where he has been surrogate fathers to orphaned children, is the joke I think he's trying for, though it doesn't really work here because that's not what his relationship to Johnny and Sue is

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I am very pleasantly surprised to see they cast a Jewish man as The Thing, one of the most prominent Jewish characters in the history of superhero comics. I was thoroughly expecting them not to do that.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Pedro Pascal has two recent prominent roles where he has been surrogate fathers to orphaned children, is the joke I think he's trying for, though it doesn't really work here because that's not what his relationship to Johnny and Sue is

This one! But I think it would actually be a neat spin on the Fantastic Four

Obviously not in the context of a Sue/Reed romance tho

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG