As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pete Carroll is old.

Pete Carroll again going on how well Geno Smith has handled this Seahawks QB competition, how well Drew Lock has practiced and played.

“We may have two number ones.”

Gregg Bell is the Seattle beat writer.

Super Bowl winning coaches are not inherently elite at their jobs.

Basically, Drew Lock getting covid fucked up their 'decision'. So now they have to wait for him to be healthy again to decide that he is marginally better than Geno Smith. Because who isn't?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean Pete needs to be put to Pasture if that's the kind of thing he's trying to literally convince anyone of.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Pete Carroll is old.

Pete Carroll again going on how well Geno Smith has handled this Seahawks QB competition, how well Drew Lock has practiced and played.

Basically, Drew Lock getting covid fucked up their 'decision'. So now they have to wait for him to be healthy again to decide that he is marginally better than Geno Smith. Because who isn't?

Mark Sanchez?

• Options
    I know you can't say like "look the team sucks we're going to be lucky to win 6 games this year." But come the fuck on Pete, Geno Smith is no one's number 1 at literally anything. Like flag football I'd take a flyer on the asthmatic kid who just saw a football for the first time over Geno.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Technically correct is the best kind of correct and Pete Carroll is technically correct here. The Seahawks arguably don't even have the worst QB depth in the league!

but it's also not his job to shit all over his QBs. Nobody thinks that Smith or Lock are going to win a SB, but the question Carroll was answering is "who is the starting QB?" and "we don't know yet" is a fine answer.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    RIP Lenny Dawson. He was royalty in Kansas City. :(

u7vxc66gjt9z.jpg

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Technically correct is the best kind of correct and Pete Carroll is technically correct here. The Seahawks arguably don't even have the worst QB depth in the league!

but it's also not his job to shit all over his QBs. Nobody thinks that Smith or Lock are going to win a SB, but the question Carroll was answering is "who is the starting QB?" and "we don't know yet" is a fine answer.

It's still an indictment on the team that those two options are their best two options.

Sure, you don't want to give away the farm, but there's at least two better QB's (Garopolo and Mayfield) that were available pre-draft, didn't appear to try for either of them, and Garopolo is still available. And I'm not convinced that Kaep wouldn't be better than either of their current options.

Plenty of QB's to take a flier on in the draft. Rreminder, Wilson was a 3rd round. Sure, you might not want to spend your 8th overall on Pickett. But they had 40, 41 and 72 all before the next QB came off the ranks at 74.

It'd be one thing if they were in full rebuild. But you're just wasting a year each of Metcalf and Lockett's career with this shit, and that pisses me off. And I'm not convinced they have a realistic plan going forward.

Sure, he's doing the best with what he's got, but they didn't appear to try to get better. Noone thinks either of these two options are the solution moving forward, but I'm not sure at this point if they're even going to try to get better next year. And while I don't think you should go the Browns/Jets solution of "just keep taking QB's while the rest of the team is garbage" is the answer, the QB is easily the hardest position to get once you've got a solution, and it can be incredibly difficult.

Brady was a one-off. Stafford is decent enough, but he's below the level of a lot of the important component parts at the Rams. And Watson, who knows if he's going to be worth it for the Browns on-field at this point.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Immunised Aaron Rodgers has declared his disatisfaction with his young rrcievers.

Devonte Adams said in an interview that it made a difference to everybody when Rodgers was involved with practices.

Guess who didn't show up for OTAs.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The New Orleans Saints are installing new express escalators in the Caesars Superdome in 2023.

They'll get you to your seats "28.3x faster than before."

Hmm

some fans may walk past this sign and wonder what it’s all about. well, in super bowl 51, the atlanta falcons – who, it should be said, are the saints’ arch-rivals – took a 28-3 lead over the new england patriots. however they eventually lost in overtime by a final score of 34-28

Hhmmmm

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    "Remember that time another team went to the super bowl and we didn't?" Oh man we're clever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a bizarre flex

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I cannot understate how unbelievably petty, and all consuming hatred of the Falcons is here. The whole gag is just laughing at their misery. It may seem out of place but I assure you that every local gets it. Hell, that was used as a gag in billboard signs for years afterwards. I would expect no less in return.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    the Jon Bois falcon series is incredible though
    i recommend everyone watch it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I cannot understate how unbelievably petty, and all consuming hatred of the Falcons is here. The whole gag is just laughing at their misery. It may seem out of place but I assure you that every local gets it. Hell, that was used as a gag in billboard signs for years afterwards. I would expect no less in return.

Championships come and go, but bitter rivalry is forever.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Man that's just bizarre.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Immunised Aaron Rodgers has declared his disatisfaction with his young rrcievers.

Devonte Adams said in an interview that it made a difference to everybody when Rodgers was involved with practices.

Packers front office are famously strict on physical traits for receivers. No one under 6' or Under 200lbs for example.

But they regularly seem to not put much weight on "catches the ball reliably". See

Jones, James
    Allison, Geronimo
    Valdez-Scanling, Marquez

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man that's just bizarre.

Is it? Always seemed pretty normal to me. I assumed it was relatively common to have this level of hatred for at least one other team.

It is also worth noting that it is a relatively wholesome rivalry as well. I have never heard of an Atlanta fan speak badly of their experience with Saints fans in a general sense and vice versa. Just endless, merciless mockery over anything at all. You can expect to see a toddler flip off the team for sure. The fans will have as good a time though.

• Options
    Man that's just bizarre.

Is it? Always seemed pretty normal to me. I assumed it was relatively common to have this level of hatred for at least one other team.

It is also worth noting that it is a relatively wholesome rivalry as well. I have never heard of an Atlanta fan speak badly of their experience with Saints fans in a general sense and vice versa. Just endless, merciless mockery over anything at all. You can expect to see a toddler flip off the team for sure. The fans will have as good a time though.

I think it's weird that they are celebrating a victory of another team rather than themselves. Cleveland fans reference 3-1 all the time because of the 2016 Finals but it would be super weird if they celebrated some reference of the Raptors 2019 Finals victory.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Who among us was not a Miami fan one week a year

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    if your team is in rebuilding mode sometimes the only joy to be had is the misfortune of your conference members

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    It's the rivalry version of the Colts "AFC Finalist" banner.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Pete Carroll is old.

Mark Sanchez?
    Definitely the definition of a number two

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

Packers front office are famously strict on physical traits for receivers. No one under 6' or Under 200lbs for example.

But they regularly seem to not put much weight on "catches the ball reliably". See

Jones, James
    Allison, Geronimo
    Valdez-Scanling, Marquez

The Packers had their own "Randy Moss", and just....traded him to the Raiders.

That's some McCaskey level of self own I did not expect from the Packers Brass.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Well I uhh hope no one was too fond of the punt god, because jesus.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Jones, James
    Allison, Geronimo
    Valdez-Scanling, Marquez

The Packers had their own "Randy Moss", and just....traded him to the Raiders.

That's some McCaskey level of self own I did not expect from the Packers Brass.

Adams wanted out. They made the best of a bad situation by getting a relatively good deal in the trade.

Now, one could argue that they fucked up by not resigning him the previous offseason, leading to him deciding he was done.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Based on the NFL's current punishment schedule, this'll get him like a quarter of a game.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

Based on the NFL's current punishment schedule, this'll get him like a quarter of a game.

Ten yards, replay the down

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Man that's just bizarre.

I think it's weird that they are celebrating a victory of another team rather than themselves. Cleveland fans reference 3-1 all the time because of the 2016 Finals but it would be super weird if they celebrated some reference of the Raptors 2019 Finals victory.

We have a statue in front of the entrance for that. This is just a temporary thing for a quick jab.

• Options
    This is a thread where 99% of the participants root for the team that plays against Dallas. Don't act like pettiness isn't the base building block of every sports fan.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

There were campaigns for him to win the Heisman last year, so that's a bit late.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Might be zero games, he was still an active college player and I don't think the Personal Conduct Policy applies until you're drafted.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Might be zero games, he was still an active college player and I don't think the Personal Conduct Policy applies until you're drafted.

In a just world it fucking would. Would've spared us the train wreck that was Johnny Manzel and 3 innocent dudes might still be alive had Aaron Hernandez been black balled before getting drafted.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    This is a thread where 99% of the participants root for the team that plays against Dallas. Don't act like pettiness isn't the base building block of every sports fan.

Yeah but fans have no ability to affect the outcome. Whether we root for someone to win or root for someone to lose we're not actually changing anything, so all acts of rooting are effectively just pettiness with varying motivations.

Whereas the Saints are the team; they have agency.

• Options

Yeah but he isn't a quarterback either.

• Options

I'm sure we'll find out the woman was wearing underwear or something and thus it was a consensual group sex activity she regretted and he's a good guy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I'm sure we'll find out the woman was wearing underwear or something and thus it was a consensual group sex activity she regretted and he's a good guy.

Saw a bunch of "why was a 17 year old at a college party" yesterday.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Man that's just bizarre.

As an Atlanta resident I'd like to remind you that your team was absolute garbage with no redeeming value before Brees and will be once more.

Hate hate hate,

Monwyn

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It's already a rough year as a Cowboys fan, what with Tyron Smith's knee exploding.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Saw a bunch of "why was a 17 year old at a college party" yesterday.

Because teenagers do stupid shit. Doesn't mean they deserve to be raped.

The fucking apologia that these people put forth in defense is just reprehensible.

Especially given they're the same kind of people, that if it were their daughter, would be of the "Yeah, he wouldn't live long enough to get to court" bravado.

The complete lack of empathy for anyone outside themselves, or their close circle, is just damning.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I was 17 in college