As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] One Ring Four Mana

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that's super cute

I'd have to wait a while before playing with those cards

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    4y5finjiwd4l.png
    This needed a red companion card in Crimson Vow called 'Ballroom Blitz'

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    4y5finjiwd4l.png

I love this spell. I don't know where to put it... yet. But I love it.

Also, there's a new Chaos Warp type thing for red. Destroy a permanent and they reveal from library until they find something sharing a type to put into play. Cheaper at RR.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    4y5finjiwd4l.png

But if they had a Ballroom Blitz card, would you be ready?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ballroom Blitz
    Instant
    Untap all creatures. All creatures attack this turn if able.

• Options
    The obvious card name that somehow hasn't come up: "Roll for Initiative". Like, seriously.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The obvious card name that somehow hasn't come up: "Roll for Initiative". Like, seriously.

I mean if we're doing real D&D you gotta have a "someone made a Monty Python reference" card

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Have they done any full out-of-game references? I know they've done some stuff that's borderline but everything seems contained within the game world, even if the game world is itself inherently meta.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

They burned "take the initiative" on the new venture/monarch hybrid so that feels unlikely although maybe on the next crossover set.
    4y5finjiwd4l.png

They split the difference in SNC with Ballroom Brawlers.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Anachronistic Comment (blue and red)
    Instant [talking is a free action]
    Each player exiles their hand. Shuffle cards exiled this way into one pile. Then, choose left or right. Starting with target player and going in that direction, each player takes turns drawing cards from that pile until there are none left.
    Flashback [callbacks! but then the joke is dead]
    "You get there's no such thing as The Force here, right?"
    -Jack the Joykiller
    [that person guy at the table who hates when others make references to other media during play]

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They did Split the Party last set, so it's gonna be things that are lightly meta, if anything.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I've been waiting since January for my MTGO account to be unlocked, to no avail. My case has been escalated to accounting, and hasn't been touched by anyone. Trying to ask live support about it only results in them telling me it's been escalated. They never even told me why it got locked in the first place. Has anyone else been through this? I'd rather not just go for a refund, if only because I don't think that's gonna go any quicker.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Of all the new creature types being added via CML2, I was definitely not expecting this one:

ae3ndjvewiyv.png

• Options
    The Riveteers precon in the Turf Wars event is hilarious. My opponents are out there doing Jinnie Fay tricks or drawing their entire deck with Rigo and I'm just "send in this 12+ power trampler". Drawing Mask of Grislebrand is especially gross.

(TBF I was probably losing that Rigo match until I stuck Vorinclex.)

• Options
    Some stuff out of the commander decks showing up now.

"Put a double strike counter on target creature and goad it" as a sorcery for 2 is a neat way to buff your guy. But the overload for 7 is glorious nonsense of the best sort.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Will go well in my soon to be "Speed the game up at any costs!" deck. Free spells/draws/mana/extra attacks/etc for all!

• Options
    Group slug decks are fun. Local guy has an Obosh deck and everyone ends up burning up so fast when its around.

• Options
    Group slug decks are fun. Local guy has an Obosh deck and everyone ends up burning up so fast when its around.

Mine is Mogis but yeah same idea.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    One of the guys in our playgroup has a Zurgo Helmsmasher deck that's all about Goad and giving players creatures with haste and forcing them to attack and shit. I'm not sure the deck is particularly good, because it's pretty unfocused, but it definitely speeds up the tempo of the table, which is welcome at times.

• Options
    Going to go with Xyris, the Writhing Storm. Everything must help the other players too!

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    xyris is super fun. i love my howling mine tribal deck

• Options
    I think Nekusar might be better for howling mine tribal. Maybe not at winning the game due to everybody hating you, but, like...better at getting you beat up.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Shrug! I like being in temur and nekusar is a hate-magnet; I’m not trying to be super cedh

• Options
    My brother was just saying today how much hate he gets with Nekusar. And also has the habit of complaining when he gets focused on for whatever reason. Probably a slight correlation there.

• Options
    I wonder what the most hated "fair" commanders are. I'm not sure if Zur is fair, but I hate that commander so much because it just causes so much undue shuffling.

I do consider Nekusar fair, but I think I hate going up against Roon more, whom I also consider fair (can be used in very unfair decks, obviously).

• Options
    Grand Arbiter Augustin IV got a lot of hate in my group... for some reason

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Grand Arbiter Augustin IV got a lot of hate in my group... for some reason

Boy gee I wonder why that might have been.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I made a Volo deck for my first Commander game in ten years. Played it the other day. It was a really fun way to play! Completely fair way to put lots of goofy threats on the board. It was also just a really fun deck to build, having to make your own Monster Manual with tons of creatures that have to all be different types was an interesting challenge, and it was a blast to just flip through all my cards and assemble my menagerie of monsters.

I tried out Pioneer at FNM. Brought a Lotus Field deck. Got stomped into the ground by Ledger Shredder decks all night.

• Options
    I made a Volo deck for my first Commander game in ten years. Played it the other day. It was a really fun way to play! Completely fair way to put lots of goofy threats on the board. It was also just a really fun deck to build, having to make your own Monster Manual with tons of creatures that have to all be different types was an interesting challenge, and it was a blast to just flip through all my cards and assemble my menagerie of monsters.

I tried out Pioneer at FNM. Brought a Lotus Field deck. Got stomped into the ground by Ledger Shredder decks all night.

Volo is a kill on sight commander in my opinion. But I'm used playing a relatively well tuned Volo deck, and there's just the risk that it can easily explode at any time if Volo is on the field.

Ever seen what happens when someone gets to slam a triple Nyxbloom Ancient?

• Options
    "Fair" is a moving target, and most good commanders are good because they do unfair things. Volo is absolutely an unfair commander by virtue of getting double creatures and exponential mutate piles, but also isn't amazingly powerful because of how telegraphed that unfairness tends to be.

GAAIV is probably the most hated "fair" commander IMO, in the sense that he doesn't really enable too many degenerate combos himself but it feels so awful to play against him. Similarly, stuff like Baral or Talrand draw a decent amount of hate because counter tribal tends to be super frustrating while being both bad and entirely reactive. If you went back a while, you could probably get something like Uril the Miststalker where you aren't getting any real free value, just a commander that one shots people one at a time, but I think people have forgotten they hate him nowadays.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    My only complete commander deck is Karametra, which feels pretty fair

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    something i was flabbergasted by recently was how much people were like "oh my god, prosper is overpowered" in response to literally any card, regardless of quality, that interacts with casting with exile

it was a great example to me of how, when you let a colour do something a little different than what it's usually doing, it feels like it's doing something broken to casual players because they're not used to it

he's just a worse simic commander

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I had a Saffi deck all my friends complained was too good that I turned into a Karametra deck, and the deck was suddenly really bad. But Karametra is super fun if you actually build the deck around her.

• Options
    something i was flabbergasted by recently was how much people were like "oh my god, prosper is overpowered" in response to literally any card, regardless of quality, that interacts with casting with exile

it was a great example to me of how, when you let a colour do something a little different than what it's usually doing, it feels like it's doing something broken to casual players because they're not used to it

he's just a worse simic commander

He's usually worse than Rashmi at "free value for casting spells" and most 3-5 mana simic commanders at ramping, yeah, but he is specifically good at storming off with very cheap spells in a way Simic usually isn't.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    First commander deck preview out.

Both the primary and secondary commanders of the horrors deck are unsurprisingly mill based? I do like how it seems to run. Secondary commander seems very, very nasty with Altar of the Brood (it's not a guaranteed loop since you only get creatures when a creature is milled, but with 3 opponents there's fairly good odds of each altar trigger blowing away large chunks of deck and spawning a small army... and any big mill spell with both out probably ends the game)

Edit: The fact that this can result in a nondeterministic loop if someone's running one of the titans is amusing too.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    szynlowhyjpu.jpg
    amazing, Baldrick is in MTG!

• Options
    Playing the little Brawl event, I finished a game with Phylath + 5 plant tokens, Esika's Chariot, and Jetmir to have an overwhelming board for victory.

I was playing the UBR vampires deck.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    milski wrote: »
    Playing the little Brawl event, I finished a game with Phylath + 5 plant tokens, Esika's Chariot, and Jetmir to have an overwhelming board for victory.

I was playing the UBR vampires deck.

Less impressively, using the same deck I swung for exactsies with Olivia — thanks to the Ranger Class Evelyn stole and the forest Nashi stole that let me level it up.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah the vampires can do a frankly comical amount of "playing stuff from the opponent's deck", i don't know if it's the best deck but it's certainly way more entertaining than the others

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.