As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Where [Chat] Eats A Soup Tube

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    My financial anxiety is that I will be renting until I'm dead

All of my friends have houses now, even though the market here has an average price of almost $800,000

Most of them have partners making good money, but one is a lawyer making excellent money who bought a house solo

my roommates just bought a house with (literally) zero money down. part of me is jealous but also part of me is like- damn i'm glad i don't owe a bank 400k while i have no savings.

Isn't that very, uh, 2008ish

it's fixed rate. their payment isn't going to change (except i guess they can refinance to remove PMI once they've built 20% equity). so there is the chance of them losing their income but unlike in 2008, their recurring costs aren't variable (one of the real terrors for ignorant borrowers back then)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    @organichu we spend about $225 per week on groceries and maybe another $100 per week on eating out

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    organichu we spend about $225 per week on groceries and maybe another $100 per week on eating out

interesting, interesting- and this is for you, porp, and your twelve kids. got it, thank you for the data point

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    organichu we spend about $225 per week on groceries and maybe another $100 per week on eating out

interesting, interesting- and this is for you, porp, and your twelve kids. got it, thank you for the data point

don't forget the xbox

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My fiancee is a very practical person in some ways but I'm like "we should buy property even if we intend to move in the future. The most common driver of senior poverty is lack of home ownership."

And she's like "I don't know if I even want to own property"

Which I absolutely get because owning a home sounds like kind of a nightmare but so does being old on a fixed income and paying rent every month and working until you're dead

I think we're fairly lucky in that I will likely inherit a house (and mortgage) from my mother, and her parents have a farm worth millions, but those things are very contingent and uncertain and I'd like my financial security not to depend on the death of multiple loved ones

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    We're going to start getting our stuff in bulk from Azure Chu so I'll let you know what the per meal cost comes out to. We're starting this week with meal prep, just doing one meal and freezing 4-6 servings to see if we like the process.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I thought that was $225 a month and for a second I was about climb into my phone and grab you and scream questions at you

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    updating my CV and feeling my soul wither in real time

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    some weeks I do a lot of bulk meals like stews, soups, curries, or chilis and that ends up being pretty cheap

other weeks I do a prime rib roast or beef wellington and that gets significantly more expensive

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

All of my friends have houses now, even though the market here has an average price of almost $800,000

Most of them have partners making good money, but one is a lawyer making excellent money who bought a house solo

my roommates just bought a house with (literally) zero money down. part of me is jealous but also part of me is like- damn i'm glad i don't owe a bank 400k while i have no savings.

It is from USDA for rural housing. I looked it up. Not a private loan but government subsidized loan.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    My fiancee is a very practical person in some ways but I'm like "we should buy property even if we intend to move in the future. The most common driver of senior poverty is lack of home ownership."

And she's like "I don't know if I even want to own property"

Which I absolutely get because owning a home sounds like kind of a nightmare but so does being old on a fixed income and paying rent every month and working until you're dead

I think we're fairly lucky in that I will likely inherit a house (and mortgage) from my mother, and her parents have a farm worth millions, but those things are very contingent and uncertain and I'd like my financial security not to depend on the death of multiple loved ones

When your parents are incredibly overweight on property and reluctant to diversify, I think it makes taking a mortgage out on what seem like sky-high prices feel very risky with little upside compared to just plowing into stonks and bearing a rent which is manageable. Rents feel ceiling'd by wages and inflation so the risk of being homeless short of total long term unemployment is low? A few metros are perhaps guaranteed but the risk tolerance of buyers seems...historically high right now.

Tumin on
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    updating my CV and feeling my soul wither in real time

ronya please tell us a bit about your recent work experience, I'm curious (as long as this doesn't violate a forum anonymity firewall for you)

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

it's fixed rate. their payment isn't going to change (except i guess they can refinance to remove PMI once they've built 20% equity). so there is the chance of them losing their income but unlike in 2008, their recurring costs aren't variable (one of the real terrors for ignorant borrowers back then)

You don't have to refinance. PMI is automatically dropped at the time you are projected to reach a certain percentage, but if you achieve 20% early you can petition to have it dropped sooner and the bank has to do it.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Shit yes Chanus that was great and I missed it in my life.

Kids in the Hall

• Options
    Mazz is that chart speaking to free range grazing specifically?

Cause like yeah, I agree with the numbers, but shit land can also just be cut and rolled for hay bales, which feed a cow just fine.

Like I'm not disagreeing with you, but something isn't adding up in my head.

edit: The backyard homestead, a book, states that 1 acre can sustain 1 cow plus a small homestead (200sqft or more of farm area, chickens, etc) and I imagine they're doing that with hay

This is variable by state. Which is more what I was showing. East Texas is greener, has more growth and land that supports cattle. Like where you are you can probably do a cow an acre fine. But the Texas Panhandle needs a lot more because less water, less grazing, and a worse growing season.

Most of the West and the Great Plains are closer to the Pan Handle than East Texas.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Let me take a moment to tell you about Hello Fresh
    We cancelled after getting two boxes with gone-off veg in a row

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I had no idea that cows were measured in Astronomical Units

These are some very large cows

• Options
    Shit yes Chanus that was great and I missed it in my life.

Kids in the Hall

full series on Amazon in a week or two

• Options
    I live in a city with a pretty reliable housing market because it's a government town, as I understand it

Housing prices are rocketing up but I doubt they'll ever crash. And a "crash" is like... -30%, which would barely render them affordable, tbh

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

We pay so much in rent but we can afford it

But we don’t want to save 200 grand for a down payment lel

It’s still a little stressful because home ownership has been drilled into me as an unambiguous financial good thing

Also owning a home, especially one in nyc seems like a huge source of stress

Our apartment leaks in heavy rain and we’re just like oh wellers, not my problem

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

You don't have to refinance. PMI is automatically dropped at the time tou are projected to reach a certain percentage, but if you achieve 20% early you can petition to have it dropped sooner and the bank has to do it.

they don't do it the same way anymore

now it's structured into the life of the loan

you can still have it removed if you get to 20% equity though, which might be the better way to go as rates are probably not going to go down in the next few years

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Cause like yeah, I agree with the numbers, but shit land can also just be cut and rolled for hay bales, which feed a cow just fine.

edit: The backyard homestead, a book, states that 1 acre can sustain 1 cow plus a small homestead (200sqft or more of farm area, chickens, etc) and I imagine they're doing that with hay

This is variable by state. Which is more what I was showing. East Texas is greener, has more growth and land that supports cattle. Like where you are you can probably do a cow an acre fine. But the Texas Panhandle needs a lot more because less water, less grazing, and a worse growing season.

Most of the West and the Great Plains are closer to the Pan Handle than East Texas.

I'm with you now, like how they'll have a thousand acre cattle ranch in Montana with 200 head of cattle, cause that's how shitty the water is underground through like a third of the US

Thank you! I thought I was going nuts.

Also with global warming I guess I need to get into all the shit they do in Florida because Tennessee is quickly becoming a rainforest in the summers.

• Options
    Of course, I don't know anything about finance and my only investment is my retirement account

When I get back I'm making an appointment with a financial advisor I think

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I should probably start a food blog.

Or an instagram...or a tiktok.

Fuck it that all sounds like too much work.

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

hmm how many compelling stories do you have about your nana's cooking or your trip to the french countryside

zero, but some of them include the blur of my Australian Shepard

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

hmm how many compelling stories do you have about your nana's cooking or your trip to the french countryside

You and I need to workshop the perfect meatball sandwich

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the cool thing is that i fully expect to be dead before i run out of retirement money

• Options

2008 would be taking that house and refinancing based off it's increase in value over the last year to use as backing for a second house.

2008 was wild.

I like to ART
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    i think not paying rent after retirement is still generally a good plan but home ownership can often be more expensive than renting in the near term if you can even afford to buy in the first place

also assuming the planet is still livable in 30 years lel

• Options
    i don't really care about the sigh of satisfaction, ah, this is MY place- the aspirational dream of home ownership, or whatever

but i very much would like 1) to be able to do whatever i want to a place, remodel, get whatever nice appliances i want, etc and 2) never be surprised by a landlord selling my building or rising the rent precipitously

those are the two most attractive elements to me

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    housing is crazy

my house's supposed value has gone up 20% in 2 years

• Options

I'm with you now, like how they'll have a thousand acre cattle ranch in Montana with 200 head of cattle, cause that's how shitty the water is underground through like a third of the US

Also with global warming I guess I need to get into all the shit they do in Florida because Tennessee is quickly becoming a rainforest in the summers.

Yeah global warming is going to destroy the great plains as a food producing region. Return it back to the Great American Dessert period.

Like there are pictures of a few places near where my folks currently live that when I grew up were prairie grassland but in the 1930's and 1940's they were sand dunes. And its turning back into that.

My parents are moving out of Colorado after living there for 50 years because of climate change and fear of fire.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    the cool thing is that i fully expect to be dead before i run out of retirement money

both sides of my family have tended to live about 20 years longer than i am projected to be able to afford so i just need to get back to drinking heavily

• Options

It is from USDA for rural housing. I looked it up. Not a private loan but government subsidized loan.

yes it's worth noting that they will be out in the boonies which i recognize is not an acceptable place to live for lots of my friends

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    housing is crazy

my house's supposed value has gone up 20% in 2 years

i'm at +60% in five years

i guess i did replace the front porch steps though

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    i don't really care about the sigh of satisfaction, ah, this is MY place- the aspirational dream of home ownership, or whatever

but i very much would like 1) to be able to do whatever i want to a place, remodel, get whatever nice appliances i want, etc and 2) never be surprised by a landlord selling my building or rising the rent precipitously

those are the two most attractive elements to me

i have been remodeling my basement myself and it is hella satisfying

gonna put in a fuckin secret room behind a bookcase because fuck you i can

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

Yeah global warming is going to destroy the great plains as a food producing region. Return it back to the Great American Dessert period.

Like there are pictures of a few places near where my folks currently live that when I grew up were prairie grassland but in the 1930's and 1940's they were sand dunes. And its turning back into that.

My parents are moving out of Colorado after living there for 50 years because of climate change and fear of fire.

ironic that less beef consumption would take care of that problem from both sides

• Options
    I get it sucked during the pandemic, but I really liked the story of the dude with just like a normal 401 he had saved for 20 years or so, plus his social security, and it wasn't much, like $4-$5K a month after taxes and stuff (I mean that's a lot, yes, but not millionaire retirement), and he lived on two cruise ships.

He'd just book a long term rental on two boats (one I think was the Caribbean and I forget the other) and they cut him a deal for like $3K a month, which includes food and drink plus most of the touristy stuff, and that's it. Dude was just done working, and as long as capitalism didn't fall, he'd just live on those boats till he died. (which he may have during covid, who knows)

But I always thought that was a cool alternative to an old folks home or owning property, since it's a set income that wasn't going anywhere.

• Options

Do it.

You and I need to workshop the perfect meatball sandwich

chorizo meatballs with a habanero adobo sauce with melted Oaxaca cheese

I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.