As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Where [Chat] Eats A Soup Tube

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    housing is crazy

my house's supposed value has gone up 20% in 2 years

i'm at +60% in five years

i guess i did replace the front porch steps though

just think of the increase in value from replacing your front porch!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My financial anxiety is that I will be renting until I'm dead

All of my friends have houses now, even though the market here has an average price of almost $800,000

Most of them have partners making good money, but one is a lawyer making excellent money who bought a house solo

We pay so much in rent but we can afford it

But we don’t want to save 200 grand for a down payment lel

It’s still a little stressful because home ownership has been drilled into me as an unambiguous financial good thing

Also owning a home, especially one in nyc seems like a huge source of stress

Our apartment leaks in heavy rain and we’re just like oh wellers, not my problem

As long as your wealth is growing and you have investments I guess it's pretty stable

Part of the appeal of home ownership is that you have effectively locked yourself into a fairly safe investment, I suppose, one that requires less specific knowledge than other investment

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I get it sucked during the pandemic, but I really liked the story of the dude with just like a normal 401 he had saved for 20 years or so, plus his social security, and it wasn't much, like $4-$5K a month after taxes and stuff (I mean that's a lot, yes, but not millionaire retirement), and he lived on two cruise ships.

He'd just book a long term rental on two boats (one I think was the Caribbean and I forget the other) and they cut him a deal for like $3K a month, which includes food and drink plus most of the touristy stuff, and that's it. Dude was just done working, and as long as capitalism didn't fall, he'd just live on those boats till he died. (which he may have during covid, who knows)

But I always thought that was a cool alternative to an old folks home or owning property, since it's a set income that wasn't going anywhere.

Same concept as living in a hotel--it has this intriguing oldschool glamour about it

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    i think not paying rent after retirement is still generally a good plan but home ownership can often be more expensive than renting in the near term if you can even afford to buy in the first place

also assuming the planet is still livable in 30 years lel

Where I live is projected to only become more livable, warm is shifting northward and this will cause massive disruptions, but we aren't going to become Venus even on our current trajectory.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i would love to live in a hotel as long as i could be guaranteed there were no bed bugs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am fine with living just long enough to miss the big season finale of climate collapse and shanking people with a sharpened iPhone for a thimbleful of water.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Well my Chaoshunter game seems to be in savegame limbo, I am outside a boss monster end of mission, and if I LoS the pod it goes into a cutscene and doesn't snap out of it. Accidently used all my saves getting there, so can't get out. That sucks a ton.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    i think not paying rent after retirement is still generally a good plan but home ownership can often be more expensive than renting in the near term if you can even afford to buy in the first place

also assuming the planet is still livable in 30 years lel

Where I live is projected to only become more livable, warm is shifting northward and this will cause massive disruptions, but we aren't going to become Venus even on our current trajectory.

not with that attitude

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    i would love to live in a hotel as long as i could be guaranteed there were no bed bugs

oh la-de-da look at this precious little prince over here

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I should probably start a food blog.

Or an instagram...or a tiktok.

Fuck it that all sounds like too much work.

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

hmm how many compelling stories do you have about your nana's cooking or your trip to the french countryside

zero, but some of them include the blur of my Australian Shepard

You and I need to workshop the perfect meatball sandwich

chorizo meatballs with a habanero adobo sauce with melted Oaxaca cheese

Meatloaf Meatballs, made in one of those small two bite muffin tins, garlic mayo, crispy onions, provolone

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

also continental breakfast

if that's not too glamorous

• Options
    The only problem I have with renting right now is that our back porch/deck is extremely rickety and in bad condition and I worry that some day we're going to take a wrong step and the boards will break and drive a 1-foot splinter into one of our legs and then we'll bleed to death and die

And I've expressed this concern to the property manager and he does not care

I wouldn't enjoy being responsible for finding and overseeing a contractor to fix the deck, but I would actually like it to happen

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

hmm how many compelling stories do you have about your nana's cooking or your trip to the french countryside

Meatloaf Meatballs, made in one of those small two bite muffin tins, garlic mayo, crispy onions, provolone

too rich, needs add horseradish to the garlic mayo

also make it buffalo-loaf

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    for a while i got so obsessive with food cost tracking that i was like ok that cost 1/16th a jar of peanut butter, that was 1/40th a bottle of ketchup, 38 cents here, 81 cents there

now i just track groceries purchased. yes, i am not gonna use this whole bottle of za'atar this month. but by minimizing waste i know the costs will smooth out accurately in the long term.

• Options
    I do have a recurring thought like

Is it a good idea to buy property if I might lose it to forced climate migration, e.g. severe flooding in previously safe areas

If I will live and die in the epoch in which the climate is collapsing and destabilizing property value and function, but the financial and political apparatus remains largely functional, maybe it's better to invest elsewhere than real estate

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Do it.

too rich, needs add horseradish to the garlic mayo

also make it buffalo-loaf

Sold.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

a monkey's finger curls

the roaches eat all the bed bugs

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    yglue82vfhwk.png

i put the largest mortgage i could get into ireland's biggest property website and this is what came back within 100km of where i work

very good

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Let me take a moment to tell you about Hello Fresh
    We cancelled after getting two boxes with gone-off veg in a row

I have had good experiences overall so far, but there have been a couple of times where a particular ingredient was bad and I had to replace it myself OR they've sent like, 6 teensy potatoes to make 4 servings and I've had to supplement with additional

both of which are real frustrating to find out when you're about to start making dinner

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I'm taking the long term

Investment in background radiation futures

• Options

Is it a good idea to buy property if I might lose it to forced climate migration, e.g. severe flooding in previously safe areas

If I will live and die in the epoch in which the climate is collapsing and destabilizing property value and function, but the financial and political apparatus remains largely functional, maybe it's better to invest elsewhere than real estate

just buy on a hill

• Options

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i have been remodeling my basement myself and it is hella satisfying

gonna put in a fuckin secret room behind a bookcase because fuck you i can

omg the dream

I still think back longingly to a house we looked at that was unsuitable, but had a HIDDEN PANTRY in the kitchen behind a little bank of shelves

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I get it sucked during the pandemic, but I really liked the story of the dude with just like a normal 401 he had saved for 20 years or so, plus his social security, and it wasn't much, like $4-$5K a month after taxes and stuff (I mean that's a lot, yes, but not millionaire retirement), and he lived on two cruise ships.

He'd just book a long term rental on two boats (one I think was the Caribbean and I forget the other) and they cut him a deal for like $3K a month, which includes food and drink plus most of the touristy stuff, and that's it. Dude was just done working, and as long as capitalism didn't fall, he'd just live on those boats till he died. (which he may have during covid, who knows)

But I always thought that was a cool alternative to an old folks home or owning property, since it's a set income that wasn't going anywhere.

Same concept as living in a hotel--it has this intriguing oldschool glamour about it

👋

it me

• Options
    I'm impressed that it floated for so long tbh

• Options

also continental breakfast

if that's not too glamorous

https://youtu.be/st21dIMaGMs

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

👋

it me

you walk down to the hotel bar wearing something in between eveningwear and loungewear, and the bartender has your regular order already prepared for you

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Husband isn't home yet and I'm waiting for him so we can eat and watch Eurovision but I am fading fast.

• Options
    well that question is answered

do houses float?
    yes, briefly

• Options
    well that question is answered

do houses float?
    yes, briefly

like many things

• Options
    Husband isn't home yet and I'm waiting for him so we can eat and watch Eurovision but I am fading fast.

I am so mad that i'm going to be at a wedding during the Eurovision Grand Finals

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

👋

it me

you walk down to the hotel bar wearing something in between eveningwear and loungewear, and the bartender has your regular order already prepared for you

Now that I’m back to working days, I’m gonna make this a thing

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Lunch

i14bqxulhnt5.png

Hot damn

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    updating my CV and feeling my soul wither in real time

ronya please tell us a bit about your recent work experience, I'm curious (as long as this doesn't violate a forum anonymity firewall for you)

I rather like my current workload which involves a lot of thinking about systems which:

- involve a lot of legacy code (some of it is more than three decades old). median age is probably about a decade.
    - are not actually mathematically very complex - I am applying exactly 0% of my costly postgraduate education here - but where cruft accumulated over time has led to a mishmash of conflicting concepts so there's quite a bit of mapping around quirks

it reminds me of, I dunno, trying to optimize a video game build. I'm picking over old development documentation and spec sheets like the year is 2003 and I'm nerding out how diablo 2 breakpoints or age of empires armor classes work all over again

only, y'know, what is at stake is regulatory compliance and risk management

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I feel like I should have saved more money over the course of working full-time for 15 years

But I really only started making good money in the last 5 years or so. For 10 years I was making mediocre wages, and for I guess 8 years I was living alone and paying rent in full myself

And I was unwilling to compromise on my bourbon-soaked lifestyle even when I was making $42k, let's be honest

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hello [chat]

Listen, we have to do better on these OPs. Soup tube isn't a new low, but it should be. We've got to do better!

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

Nights in Rodanthe has a twist ending huh?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    hello [chat]

Listen, we have to do better on these OPs. Soup tube isn't a new low, but it should be. We've got to do better!

https://youtu.be/v9bxjZLO0Tw

Bread beer bong?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

just buy on a hill

what is he, peppa pig?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I want soup tube

This discussion has been closed.