As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead: The [chat]

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh hey new Stranger Things. Time to reactivate Netflix for one month and one month only.

Actually no its in two parts May 27th and July 1

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Oh hey new Stranger Things. Time to reactivate Netflix for one month and one month only.

Actually no its in two parts May 27th and July 1

strategic

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jesus some of these episodes are like two hours apparently.

I am trying to remember how season 3 ended. The one guy disappeared and everyone left town to go to uhhhh high school or college I forget hmmm. Did they kill Pennywise?

• Options
    Jesus some of these episodes are like two hours apparently.

I am trying to remember how season 3 ended. The one guy disappeared and everyone left town to go to uhhhh high school or college I forget hmmm. Did they kill Pennywise?
    Billy (blonde douchebag) dies protecting the kids
    Eleven loses her powers
    Hopper is teleported to Russia where they have a Demogorgon caged up
    Eleven, Will and his family are moved to California by Paul Reiser

Yeah the S4 episodes average 70 mins except the last 3 which are 90m, 90m and 2h30m

The second part is just the last two episodes

• Options
    i wonder if there's some major event in berlin the weekend we're looking at going there because flights in are like €100 more on average than every other date within two months

• Options
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    The season 1 vibe was incredible, I felt 2 and 3 where pretty boring by comparison.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You know you're hot in Ancient Greece if Zeus tries to chat you up in the form of a duck or something.

Does Zeus even have standards?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    As the meme goes, most of the troubles in ancient Greece started with "Unfortunately, Zeus was feeling horny".

• Options
    The season 1 vibe was incredible, I felt 2 and 3 where pretty boring by comparison.

Season 1 was a perfect King homage, a great slice of nostalgia that was paced pretty well for a Netflix show. Season 2 was like hey that worked pretty well let's do it again I guess and was less successful. Season 3 was hey we have more money let's go hog wild now there are Cold War Russians under the mall, a giant monster, put Hopper in a Magnum PI shirt and just make it fun and it worked pretty well, I thought.

I don't think it's ever going to be as good as season 1 again, because it's not really a hangout show which relies on the cast being people we want to see do anything, it's a story show which worked like gangbusters first time out and is now forever doomed to try and recapture that lightning in a bottle. Quality control is probably pretty good, though, so it won't be bad. I'll watch it.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    c9QHKDi.jpeg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

Season 1 was a perfect King homage, a great slice of nostalgia that was paced pretty well for a Netflix show. Season 2 was like hey that worked pretty well let's do it again I guess and was less successful. Season 3 was hey we have more money let's go hog wild now there are Cold War Russians under the mall, a giant monster, put Hopper in a Magnum PI shirt and just make it fun and it worked pretty well, I thought.

I don't think it's ever going to be as good as season 1 again, because it's not really a hangout show which relies on the cast being people we want to see do anything, it's a story show which worked like gangbusters first time out and is now forever doomed to try and recapture that lightning in a bottle. Quality control is probably pretty good, though, so it won't be bad. I'll watch it.

Yeah the production values etc and the cast are good enough that I don't think I'd regret watching it, but given the change in tone away from what I really enjoyed if we didn't already get Netflix for free I doubt we'd sub for it.

Finally got around to watching the Derry Girls finale, which was great. My unpopular opinion is that it wasn't always as funny as it was made out to be, and some of the emotional beats weren't built up enough to land properly, but the cast and setting were excellent.

• Options
    going to see MCR tomorrow night

wonder if i can get insoles for my Converse

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i genuinely love being woken up at 5:30am by my cat doing parkous in my bedroom but there's one thing i don't like about it.
    i'm never in a good position to take video. :(

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

This is basically the “there are four lights!” episode which seems to be everyone’s favorite episode which I thought was absolute dogshit and still remain really baffled about

The Starfleet admiral takes over the Enterprise and is an unbelievably hostile asshole from the moment he steps on the ship, and completely incompetent, to boot. And Picard just shrugs.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

This is basically the “there are four lights!” episode which seems to be everyone’s favorite episode which I thought was absolute dogshit and still remain really baffled about

The Starfleet admiral takes over the Enterprise and is an unbelievably hostile asshole from the moment he steps on the ship, and completely incompetent, to boot. And Picard just shrugs.

Jellico gets Troi out of the pajamas and into a uniform and it's worth it for that

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Jellico gets Troi out of the pajamas and into a uniform and it's worth it for that

Troi out of her pajamas, are you mad

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

look, I knows what I like

(Also true for that one episode with Seven in blues, it would even make sense from a resourcing perspective there gumble grumble)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

look, I knows what I like

(Also true for that one episode with Seven in blues, it would even make sense from a resourcing perspective there gumble grumble)

I really would have liked to hear Roddenberry’s canonical justification for putting Troi in a low-cut romper

• Options
    Jellicoe comes up with the plan to force the Cardassians to back off from attacking some place I can't remember by laying mines and also gets them to release Picard. He's put on the ship because he's an expert in Cardassian diplomacy or something and shows it in the scenes where they're negotiating. He isn't incompetent.

He's certainly not friendly with the crew and clashes with Riker, but the conflict with Riker isn't about him being wrong about changes to the way the ship operates, it's about how they're used to Picard and don't want to change. The episodes sets him up as an antagonist but not an enemy.

I think there were the beginnings of negotiations to replace Picard with Jellicoe if Stewart asked for too much money to do more seasons, but that's based on some gossip from a Marina Sirtis interview.

• Options
    Sirtis has noted more than once that after putting her in uniform she started getting smarter lines. In one episode after the change she corrects Data and Geordi about the actual power source of a Romulan ship.

Data and Geordi!

• Options
    I'm now trying to think of admirals in Starfleet who aren't secretly possessed by worm aliens, pulling nefarious tricks or generally being a danger to the Federation when appearing on the show.

It's a short list.

I mean drama comes from conflict so the Federation working perfectly as intended is a show no one wants to watch but Starfleet should probably lean a little harder into regular psych evaluations for the upper echelon of its staff.

• Options
    Jellicoe comes up with the plan to force the Cardassians to back off from attacking some place I can't remember by laying mines and also gets them to release Picard. He's put on the ship because he's an expert in Cardassian diplomacy or something and shows it in the scenes where they're negotiating. He isn't incompetent.

He's certainly not friendly with the crew and clashes with Riker, but the conflict with Riker isn't about him being wrong about changes to the way the ship operates, it's about how they're used to Picard and don't want to change. The episodes sets him up as an antagonist but not an enemy.

I very much disagree, and it’s my least-favorite episode of the series. I can’t think of an episode with worse writing, not a single scene feels organic or purposeful to any aim beyond serving the maximal amount conflict and drama possible. The whole enterprise (heh) comes off as childishly sensational.

• Options
    Instead of an hour of running in the AM I now do an hour of stretching out my calves and strengthening my hip girdle with undignified repetitive motions

Getting old is for suckers, avoid if possible

• Options
    I'm now trying to think of admirals in Starfleet who aren't secretly possessed by worm aliens, pulling nefarious tricks or generally being a danger to the Federation when appearing on the show.

It's a short list.

I mean drama comes from conflict so the Federation working perfectly as intended is a show no one wants to watch but Starfleet should probably lean a little harder into regular psych evaluations for the upper echelon of its staff.

On Discovery the admirals seem fairly competent but the civilian leadership seems distressingly short-sighted

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sirtis has noted more than once that after putting her in uniform she started getting smarter lines. In one episode after the change she corrects Data and Geordi about the actual power source of a Romulan ship.

Data and Geordi!

Maybe she empathically read some engineer aboard the Romulan ship.
    Maybe she empathically read the Romulan ship.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Instead of an hour of running in the AM I now do an hour of stretching out my calves and strengthening my hip girdle with undignified repetitive motions

i’m not normally like this but sometimes I even ask to speak to getting old’s manager

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »

i’m not normally like this but sometimes I even ask to speak to getting old’s manager

Jokes on you getting old is the manager

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Morning everyone

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

It's a short list.

Admiral Hanson in Best of Both Worlds seems mostly competent, but then he got squished at Wolf 359

Probably a bad call to believe in Roddenberrian indomitable human spirit propaganda that Picard wouldn't expose their weakspot for massive damage

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    USA Today is getting rid of their daily free crossword, and it's like, USA Today bro I wasn't gonna read your articles, now you're just losing site traffic in general.

• Options
    USA Today is getting rid of their daily free crossword, and it's like, USA Today bro I wasn't gonna read your articles, now you're just losing site traffic in general.

They gonna charge for it separate?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also the Admiral in Season One of Picard, sheer fucking hubris aside, actually has well-sourced objections to Picard and changes her mind when presented with further evidence.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got some Samsung galaxy earbuds2 for an early birthday present!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    nice. I really like my galaxy buds.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Just got a call from the estate agent: they cancelled the viewing today because when the agent got in they found that Talisker had vommed in the entrance hall

AKA the only bit of carpet on the ground floor

So that's going to be sitting there for the next six hours

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Just got a call from the estate agent: they cancelled the viewing today because when the agent got in they found that Talisker had vommed in the entrance hall

AKA the only bit of carpet on the ground floor

So that's going to be sitting there for the next six hours

My agent would have 100% cleaned it up rather than cancel a viewing. That seems odd to me.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Where do get free crossword now :(

This discussion has been closed.