As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guffawedcast Thread [Podcast Thread]

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Figured they would be safe with the success of Waypoint +.
    Can someone just figure out how to do Defector but for videogames already

This is my immediate thought too

They already have a paying audience and a month to get enough details together to go "hey send your money to this new link instead"

Do we know what the breakdown is on Plus subs?

Via Defector’s earnings report:
    We continue to rely overwhelmingly on our subscribers’ direct subscription dollars to fund editorial and business operations. Of the $3.8mm revenue Defector recognized this year, 95% was generated by subscriptions to the website.

The gross number of people who have ever held a paid subscription to Defector.com is 49k. Net of churned subscribers (i.e., people who once held a paid subscription, but no longer do), we reached a high-water mark of 41k net active subscribers in early September 2022. As of September 30, 2022—the three weeks before which a majority of annual subscribers faced a renewal opportunity—we had 38k active subscribers.

Approximately 62% of subscribers are Readers, our base tier, 32% are Pals, the next tier up, and 5% are subscribed via our Normal Gossip podcast products (Friend and Friend-of-a-Friend). We currently have about 70 subscribers at the $1,000/year Accomplice level. More than 80% of our subscribers are on annual plans rather than monthly ones. Over the full period of Year 2 (September 2021-August 2022), the rate of retention for annual subscribers averaged out to 87%, with earlier subscriber cohorts generally retaining at a higher level than later ones and Pals generally retaining better than Readers. During the month of September 2022, our second renewal subscribers—i.e., those who subscribed in 2020 and are entering their third year subscribing to Defector—are renewing at a rate of ~90%, with that number continuing to tick up slightly as credit card failures are resolved. For those on monthly subscriptions, our average churn rate from September 2021-August 2022 was ~3% per month, though that number varied meaningfully by cohort.
    https://defector.com/defector-annual-report-year-two#

More details in the link, obviously

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I do feel like Waypoint had a smaller audience than Deadspin, so they'd probably make less if they went the Defector route. They've got a smaller team, though

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Not sure if it changed, but on the Waypoint+ launch podcasts they weren't giving hard numbers, just that it surpassed Vice's expectations by a wide margin

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    They've said in other tweets that without waypoint+ this would've happened way sooner but it still wasn't enough to keep them going indefinitely

Nextlander was a big enough success to make it seem like hey maybe that's a viable avenue but idk if that's actually a fair comparison

Or if that's even something enough of them are honestly interested in pursuing

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I am less worried about Rob and Patrick because they're older white dudes with a ton of experience, but Cado and Renata live in fucking Brooklyn and that's a hard place to have to have a contingency plan no matter how much Vice was paying (probably not nearly enough tbh)

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    My D20 opinions

Fantasy High is up there with the best. I understand some peoples feeling about it being a little rough in spots but it has a lot of full scenes that I think about and come back to a lot. The pre-prom home visits are amazing with everyone hitting just the perfect beats. Obviously Lou's is the biggest hit and I love the way he caps that scene off in a way that CLEARLY floors BLM.

I don't get the Unsleeping City. I guess I've never really felt any relation to the idea of New York as this modern mythical place that the show plays into.

More later.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    if I had to recommend any of the other D20 seasons:

if you vibed with Fantasy High you'll probably really like The Seven - expanded cast of characters from the same universe and also more ARTHUR AGUEFORT, CHRONOMANCER

Starstruck is wild and I would be surprised if they don't revisit that universe sooner rather than later, it was a lot of fun

A Crown of Candy is the most "serious" D&D they've ever done, obviously still funny but more high-fantasy war and politics stuff in everything as well. gets very emotional, in a good poignant way. might be especially worth checking out considering the upcoming prequal season hosted by Matt Mercer

A Court of Fey and Flowers is very gay and very good. Big emphasis on romance. If you want to see Lou and Emily just be legendary together, check it out.

and Misfits and Magic (an informed and wonderfully acted deconstruction of Harry Potter using a non D&D system) has to get a mentioned for what is, in my opinion, the single best character and the single best scene in all of D20. I am, of course, talking about Evan Kelmp:

https://youtu.be/jNy4syshguk

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Apparently Taylor Moore is leaving Rude Tales/Oh These Those. Sounds like it's on good terms, he just had too much on his plate and has been having some health issues.

He's felt like a pretty big part of those shows, I wonder what the shakeup will do.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I noticed the output schedule seemed to have cratered this year, wonder if it's related. I hope both he and the shows can thrive.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Yeah there hasn’t been a new rude tales since late February. I was wondering what was going on.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    With the sheer amount Worlds Beyond Number exploded, it makes sense that a ton more work than expected suddenly ended up on his plate. Taking the steps to re-evaluate and focus is probably the right move.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm still waiting for worlds beyond number to grab me. Brendan is giving the players a looooot of space to roleplay colour text and worldbuilding, and I'm sure that will eventually pay off, but right now it's largely on my rotation as "podcasts to fall asleep to".

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm listening back to the episode of mbmbam that my mom and I went to 5 years ago

(Episode 406: sweet dreams Timothy)

And I'm remembering the bit where they're talking about the newborn poop and my mom clapping audibly and Griffen calling it out. Ah. Memories.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Ah dang man. Taylor Moore is my absolute favorite part of Oh These Those

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for worlds beyond number to grab me. Brendan is giving the players a looooot of space to roleplay colour text and worldbuilding, and I'm sure that will eventually pay off, but right now it's largely on my rotation as "podcasts to fall asleep to".

I'm finding the same. Gonna wait for a backlog to build up until the pace has hopefully picked up so I can listen in one go

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    This is hella late and I don't know how much longer they'll be going, but Austin Walker and Cado are doing a launch night late night Tears of the Kingdom stream on the Waypoint twitch

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Apparently Taylor Moore is leaving Rude Tales/Oh These Those. Sounds like it's on good terms, he just had too much on his plate and has been having some health issues.

He's felt like a pretty big part of those shows, I wonder what the shakeup will do.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I'm glad they're getting paid but I hope they fought for enough control that if the cast wanted to leave the show, we wouldn't be subjected to Rude Tales of Magic: Now Featuring the Auto-Tune the News Guys

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    As suspected, the Waypoint closure happened ahead of Vice filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/15/media/vice-media-chapter-11-bankruptcy/index.html

Fortunately it looks like they're planning to keep everyone employed during the process and honor all benefits and whatnot.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bankruptcy isn't a guarantee that a business will fire everyone and shutter all operations, it's just more common when the reason for the bankruptcy is VCs bleeding it dry.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I'm glad they're getting paid but I hope they fought for enough control that if the cast wanted to leave the show, we wouldn't be subjected to Rude Tales of Magic: Now Featuring the Auto-Tune the News Guys

Headgum is co-owned by Jake and Amir, and Jake is part of the NADDPOD crew, so I'm hoping they run the business side of things pretty decently.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Behind the bastards episodes on Vince McMahon is

Six. Parts. Long.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Dang, that's more than Kissinger got

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Vince does the stuff himself and it's more personal than how a politician does it.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

It's the same number. First episode seems to be focused on "Hey, just what IS professional wrestling anyway and how did it get started", so it's probably only going to be 4-5 Vince-focused episodes. So Kissinger getting 6 full episodes of pure bastardry is still going to be the title holder.

And honestly, it's great. Great host/guest synergy.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Oh huh, I misremembered and thought Kissinger got five, not six. My bad.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Seanbaby on BtB again!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Opening the series with a man who all but murdered his four sons via wrestling, just to set up how bad Vince is going to be later.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Definitely appreciate the way this Vince McMahon and professional wrestling content is being treated with a greater degree of dignity and scholarship than the Josef Mengele and human medical experimentation content

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Don't worry, this will also contain plenty of inhumane medical treatment.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Definitely appreciate the way this Vince McMahon and professional wrestling content is being treated with a greater degree of dignity and scholarship than the Josef Mengele and human medical experimentation content

idk the autotune bits and jarjar was the only way i was gonna get through those episodes, those were the darkest btb episodes i can remember

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would rather get into a mean spirited fistfight with someone than listen to them swing rubber chickens around and sit on whoopie cushions and play jar jar binks sound clips over a recitation of holocaust wiki pages

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Had a wild moment on the latest shift F1 when one of the emailers said their entire family listens to the podcast - including their sibling and both parents

Made me realise I dont even know the size of the listenership these days, in my mind it's still that niche Giant Bomb side thing. How many downloads do the get in a week? tens of thousands? hundreds?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    They've got...
    1454 patrons on Patreon
    904 ratings on Apple Podcasts
    4.18K subscribers on YouTube (with the YouTube versions of the podcast having... looks like 1.5k views each, maybe?)
    10.9K followers on Twitter

Given that their listeners are probably spread over multiple platforms, I'd reckon that it's at minimum like ~3K, maybe upwards of 10K optimistically?

I don't really have any frame of reference for how this stacks up to other podcasts, though.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    CBBWorld proved its worth again today with Hi(Nes)! I’m Prov To Meet You! a special where improv teacher Will Hines tries to teach improv basics to the worst students possible: Gino Lombardo, The Batmin, and Myrtle McGee. Basically any show or episode where everyone just gangs up on Will Hines is a treat, and this one is particularly good.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    captaink wrote: »
    CBBWorld proved its worth again today with Hi(Nes)! I’m Prov To Meet You! a special where improv teacher Will Hines tries to teach improv basics to the worst students possible: Gino Lombardo, The Batmin, and Myrtle McGee. Basically any show or episode where everyone just gangs up on Will Hines is a treat, and this one is particularly good.

Dirt!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »

Dirt!

I'm also going with dirt.

• Options
    Been listening to very old Comedy Bang Bangs, counting down to #1, which at this point Scott Aukerman explicitly requests you not do. Someone dropped the term "f*ggy" which I hadn't heard in a while. Then I just listened to an episode with someone doing Kanye East and Taylor Slow which were super bad asian and mentally handicapped caricatures. Including saying r**ard a bunch amongst all the guests. Not trying to get anyone cancelled, this was from 2010 and I'm pretty sure these guests wouldn't talk like that today. It's just a podcast that's been on a long time; they're talking about being on the radio!

Has been some interesting stuff though. I finally heard the legendary iBrain bit from Brett Gelman, it was funny-gross. I (awhile ago) caught the episode where Reggie Watts improvs the current theme song, that was cool to hear. They used to have guest hosts because it was a live (web) radio show. So far I've heard PFT and Cyber Thug (Jerry Minor). PFT brought on Kaitlin Olson, and they commiserated about working on the Kelsey Grammer Sketch Show in England. That show also had Mary Lynn Rajskub which makes for a weirdly stacked cast.