As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling] Thread is Headed to Philadelphia!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Sure but I'm not gonna sit here and go "Tony Khan and Vince McMahon are EXACTLY THE SAME" just because they have money

Neither one would be shit without their daddy's money and company to start them off.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I hope the WWE gets sold to some big uncaring company and then folds a year later.

It’s what it deserves at this point.

I don't really want that. For about the same reason as nobody here has said, "Oh man wouldn't it be great if Tony Khan bought WWE?"

In the long run it would definitely be bad for the health of the wrestling industry, the bargaining positions of wrestlers, etc.

But in the short run it could be very entertaining.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    if real life was wrestling logic, Ted Turner would come out of retirement to buy WWE just to kill it off and bring back WCW

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    if real life was wrestling logic, Ted Turner would come out of retirement to buy WWE just to kill it off and bring back WCW

Smackdown opening with an empty stadium and Eric Bischoff talking to the camera at ringside.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    WAKKA WO HEY HEY

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

So the game right now seems to be the likeliest buyers are Comcast (Vince’s friends who won’t want him out) and the back up plan if they’re sold elsewhere is going back to being private, which would take shareholders out of the equation

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Oh so this is all just a move to ensure he stays in control of the company.

I see. Okay.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Sure but I'm not gonna sit here and go "Tony Khan and Vince McMahon are EXACTLY THE SAME" just because they have money

Neither one would be shit without their daddy's money and company to start them off.

Yes, and? Both are money marks. Vince Jr just was born first. What's your point?

Both are billionaires who suck, but one makes a show I like and employs people I like and didn't fire people during a pandemic and tried to keep the indies afloat, and the other rapes and abuses people while making a show I don't like.

Is this a thread about the iniquities of generational wealth, or wrestling?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Heartbreaking: People on the internet dislike a billionaire, even though he tweets "funny" wrestling posts

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options

Yes, and? Both are money marks. Vince Jr just was born first. What's your point?

Both are billionaires who suck, but one makes a show I like and employs people I like and didn't fire people during a pandemic and tried to keep the indies afloat, and the other rapes and abuses people while making a show I don't like.

Is this a thread about the iniquities of generational wealth, or wrestling?

It can be both things.

I mean before Tony, Vince booked a lot of wrestling I liked too, it's why I'm a wrestling fan. Tony still doesn't give his wrestlers healthcare and there were times when Vince let his guys work Japan and the indies.

Tony has done a poor job pushing minority wrestlers and he handled Swole leaving as badly as possible.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The pandemic is still going on

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I also don’t consider Vince to be a money mark. This is his business, and he has skin in the game that Tony Khan could only dream of.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    I also don’t consider Vince to be a money mark. This is his business, and he has skin in the game that Tony Khan could only dream of.

Yeah, Tony seems to be running an EWR game in real life which is very cool, I would kill to do that. But he and his father have whatever company they made their money with, the Jaguars, and Fulham that I know of to bring in money.

• Options
    Literally nobody is saying that Tony Khan and Vince McMahon are equal in morality or something.

I just find Tony Khan doing his best "Elon Musk on Twitter" impressions to be grating as fuck.

Especially when the intended joke is that everyone who works for him is really nice to him now because they have nowhere else to go. A thing he's too disconnected from reality to understand how fucking gross that is to celebrate and guffaw about.

• Options
    Dixie Carter is the most ethical promoter because she did a lot of work to lose her father's wealth.

• Options
    Bartender is wearing an Everytime I Die shirt, going to see if he likes the guitarist's wrestling career.

• Options
    Anyway, very excited for BoLA this weekend!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options

How excited are you for Brian Keith taking Lio's spot because of his injuries? Should be a nice break from all the smaller guys.

• Options

How excited are you for Brian Keith taking Lio's spot because of his injuries? Should be a nice break from all the smaller guys.

I’m excited! Get to see a bunch of new faces, and the triple-threat lucha match on night one will be bonkers.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Tony's response to a literal tyrannical rapist being in charge of a company and a bunch of people who work for him having their employment options limited was "HAHA NOW THEY HAVE TO KISS MY ASS." So, billionaire stuff aside that's not great.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry about Lio again being hurt adjacent to a BOLA, but Bryan Keith rocks and I'm always up for new fresher faces getting these opportunities. PWG is a taste maker and legitimately changes careers.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    excited to see how Tony tweets through it next week when it turns out Toni Storm is actually in that match because Sasha never actually signed

• Options
    I mean, he never actually said anything. Besides the Britt/Boss/wink thing this week, hasn't most of this been speculation just based purely on timing of her free agency? This isn't Punk with the teases, or Christian with the overselling (even if everything Paul Wight said was true about Christian being a HOF talent with multiple world titles, because Christian rules).

Honestly, I'm good either way. Either it's Toni and Shida is involved somehow and on TV more, or it's Ms. Mone.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It seems like Mone is going to be the keystone in an overarching "ex-WWE vs AEW originals" storyline.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, he never actually said anything. Besides the Britt/Boss/wink thing this week, hasn't most of this been speculation just based purely on timing of her free agency? This isn't Punk with the teases, or Christian with the overselling (even if everything Paul Wight said was true about Christian being a HOF talent with multiple world titles, because Christian rules).

Honestly, I'm good either way. Either it's Toni and Shida is involved somehow and on TV more, or it's Ms. Mone.

Yeah, I mean, this whole thing is just big speculation from everyone, but that doesn't actually...matter to the people who will be mad about it

• Options
    edited January 2023
    If they're smart, and I hope they are, the originals will be positioned as the fan favorites. People love Shida, love Jamie, love Britt.

Also it would retroactively turn those early bad Saraya promos into something less bad, if the plan was to have her be this tonedeaf interloper trying to force these young kids who haven't even been in WWE to learn a thing or two about how to be a star in wrestling.

She's trying to run a business here.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Welp at least this whole ordeal couldn’t get any grosser. Anyway let me just take a big sip of coffee and

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Welp at least this whole ordeal couldn’t get any grosser. Anyway let me just take a big sip of coffee and

I was wondering who would show up to the bidding take to make me go "shit, maybe Comcast isn't the absolute worst option".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I was wondering who would show up to the bidding take to make me go "shit, maybe Comcast isn't the absolute worst option".

I just wait to see Bezos fly in out of no where because he loved Roddy Piper or something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nobody with the money to buy WWE is going to be a good person

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    nobody with the money to buy WWE is going to be a good person

But how many can be worse than Vince? Sadly a lot, especially if the Saudi's buy it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I didn't buy into the hype of HHH in charge for WWE being good, but I was excited for Rumble into Mania season, but this Vince coming back is going to stop me from even getting hyped for the three months of cool WWE they normally have.

• Options
    It was pretty clearly better under Triple H, even if I'd hesitate to say it was "good"

• Options
    Yeah HHH had some clear positives for being in charge, and Vince will almost 100% reverse them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    WWE as a whole should look at NXT from 2013-2016, make all of their product that and then put their marketing machine behind it.

That involves planning four weeks ahead and investing in long term pans instead of putting all your eggs in one basket then getting mad at the dumbass who put all these eggs in this basket. Baskets are a terrible way to store eggs GODDAMNIT. YOU'RE FIRED!

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Wasn't NXT taped back then? They were filming monthly, meaning people couldn't get overexposed just because they could only show up so many times during one taping.

Once it's live every week, all bets are off.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Planning four weeks ahead is a lot easier when "four weeks ahead," is also "tonight"

• Options
    Yes taping provides more stability than live shows where things like injuries, travel and personal problems can throw a wrench in the works but in general planning ahead makes a better product. That's something Vince and co used to be able to do but as more and more people like Pat Patterson weren't around to wrangle Vince and he was left alone to book a show on four hours of sleep and a brain full of CTE it became almost a punishment for anybody in the audience who remembered what happened on the show a month ago.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

What a touching tribute to Vince by Sami.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
This discussion has been closed.