The [Movies] Thread, not the Moovies thread

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They should give Peach all of the useful powerups, like the cape.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, as someone not particularly interested in a Mario movie to this point, this trailer really made me think that this Mario movie looks like it could be pretty decent fun, once they take Mario out of it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The trailer at least looks very cliche "competent Woman for some reason can't be the main character and instead has to train useless guy so can be the actual hero"

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    To me it really misses something that I love about the Mario games, and that is that there is no irony or sarcasm to them, really, they're bursting at the seam with genuine enthusiasm and joy

whereas those Toad lines, the blasé way Pratt vomits out the Mario-isms, the Peach dialogue all seems, being generic as all hell aside, to completely forego that. A referencefest does not really convey the vibe I get from the Mushroom Kingdom etc from the games. I guess we'll see, but aside from expensively rendered things I know and like (which is just not enough to excite me), I don't see anything I can care about.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Remember, remember, the thirtieth of Noirvember...

3DXtNxv.jpg
    The Killer is Loose (1956), dir. Budd Boetticher

icgKgiQ.jpg
    Joseph Cotten is back as a detective who accidentally kills the wife of Wendell Corey while trying to apprehend Corey for the robbery of a savings and loan place. Corey swears revenge and goes to jail. As you can guess from the title of the film, 2 and a half years later he escapes, and that's bad news for Cotten, and also his wife, Rhonda Fleming, who apparently has been on his ass more or less constantly because she wants him to quit the force and get a safer job. Alan Hale Jr. and Michael Pate are fellow detectives.

VH6rJbc.jpg
    Another pretty good noir. It's rather lean and mean - no wasted time - and it spends as much time on the domestic drama of Cotten and Fleming arguing about whether he should be a cop as it does on the whole "there's a crazed murderer on the loose," which gives it a bit of depth. Its standout feature is easily Corey's portrayal of the criminal. He's nearly blind without his glasses and he has a chip on his shoulder from people making fun of him, and he's both quiet and terrifying in equal parts.

0XHcNPl.jpg
    Wikipedia says one critic charged the suburban setting with making the movie somewhat bland, but I think it makes it more interesting: it's nice to see a noir outside of the typical big city setting, and although it doesn't lean as hard into it as it might, the way the friendly neighborhood turns threatening when there's evil about is kind of neat. A dog shows up for a few scenes. 83/100

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    To me it really misses something that I love about the Mario games, and that is that there is no irony or sarcasm to them, really, they're bursting at the seam with genuine enthusiasm and joy

whereas those Toad lines, the blasé way Pratt vomits out the Mario-isms, the Peach dialogue all seems, being generic as all hell aside, to completely forego that. A referencefest does not really convey the vibe I get from the Mushroom Kingdom etc from the games. I guess we'll see, but aside from expensively rendered things I know and like (which is just not enough to excite me), I don't see anything I can care about.

You can tell it's by The Minions people because they tried to use the Penguins like cute characters when Mario should be dropping a crying baby Penguin off the map on sight to be true to canon

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Calling it now: Minions callout when somebody throws a banana during the car chase

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I watched the Mario Movie trailer. The voice acting seems fine? I don't know why a bunch of people seem to be losing their shit over it. It's not like Mario has some distinct voice acting performance already. He's like a chiptune racist stereotype yelling 3 phrases.

Mostly it looks kinda generic? Not in a really bad way but just in a "there's not really anything to build a movie on here so we're just kinda making a standard fish-out-of-water magical adventure movie and slapping in a bunch of visual references".

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    shryke wrote: »
    I watched the Mario Movie trailer. The voice acting seems fine? I don't know why a bunch of people seem to be losing their shit over it.

Because Pratt sounds like he's reading lines off a page to me. There's no commit or enthusiasm there.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I watched the Mario Movie trailer. The voice acting seems fine? I don't know why a bunch of people seem to be losing their shit over it.

Because Pratt sounds like he's reading lines off a page to me. There's no commit or enthusiasm there.

I'm going to hold off on total judgement until I actually see the film. However, the trailers don't really leave me inspired for Pratt's performance.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think too many reviewers fail to review a movie within it's own xontex
    I watched the Mario Movie trailer. The voice acting seems fine? I don't know why a bunch of people seem to be losing their shit over it. It's not like Mario has some distinct voice acting performance already. He's like a chiptune racist stereotype yelling 3 phrases.

Mostly it looks kinda generic? Not in a really bad way but just in a "there's not really anything to build a movie on here so we're just kinda making a standard fish-out-of-water magical adventure movie and slapping in a bunch of visual references".

It's lifeless is why people are unhappy. It's tired. That 'Wahoo' at the end sounded like something you'd sigh after running a marathon and collapsing into a thermal blanket.

No energy or excitement. He sounds so fucking bored.

This is Mario, no one is looking for Shakespeare, but at least sounding like you're vaguely interested in whatever is happening in the script would be helpful.

I am in the business of saving lives.

I don't agree. He sounds fine. A little low key but that seems to fit with the few scenes we've seen so far and how the character is being portrayed. We're just seeing all "holy shit, what have I gotten myself into, I'm not prepared for this" stuff right now.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I don't agree. He sounds fine. A little low key but that seems to fit with the few scenes we've seen so far and how the character is being portrayed. We're just seeing all "holy shit, what have I gotten myself into, I'm not prepared for this" stuff right now.

There's no sense of "holy shit" from Pratt though. At most its a "Huh. Anyway..."

• ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I think Pratt's performance seems uninspired at best, but the rest of the movie looks like a love letter to all things Mario, and the rest of the cast is aces, so I'm kinda stoked for this.

In sadder news, I was looking forward to seeing Glass Onion this weekend with my daughter, before realizing it was a one week theatrical release and it's already gone. The fuck? I wanted to see this in a theater. :(

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

It is great, but I can't help but roll my eyes at
    My character is very beta. I have my beta moments, too. But he’s very beta. He’s more of a flight guy than a fight guy.
    Come on, Nic. Come on.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I watched Shazadam, it's not terrible but it's not doing anything of note. I would've maybe not hired the director of the Jungle Cruise, one of the blandest snorefests in recent memory, and one of the writers from the Alvin and the Chipmunks films.

Some of the human characters are insufferable and that's kind of bad when they're meant to be the ones we care about since Black Adam is, ya know, invincible.

The kid especially, skateboarding while he's trying to stealth around, the "speech" he gives at the end has no gravitas whatsoever and the mum is just very annoying. The main villain accompanies her to the site of the crown but it's not like a trap -laden place, you can walk right in, so there was no need to pretend to be her ally for that. Character is a problem pretty much all over, your main villain is completely bland and forgettable, and even more so when he transforms, same for mom and kid, and them all knocking ten shades out of these forces of hell is comical. It's all so unearned. A lot of it, especially the speeches about western heroes not coming to help feel like it's trying to copy Black Panther but it comes across as patronizing because it's delivered by unlikeable idiots.

The twist I thought was good and that is the only thing approaching intelligent in the film. Brosnan is fine, Adam Smasher and Cyclone are fine although again, both so bland in general that I can't remember what they looked like. Hawkman also kind of lame.

If you're going to make Z-list the movie, you need at least some other recognizable actors outside of the Rock. The only really good part was the Superman tease at the end because he had the full on Supes quiff.

It didn't feel like two hours but I never felt really drawn in and I have no interest in ever watching it again, plus I don't know what another invincible superhuman really adds to DC.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I dunno, Mario just looks generic and bland to me. Like, it seems significantly less creative and interesting than Super Mario Odyssey, a 5 year old game. I realize that games and movies aren't a direct comparison, but in terms of storyline, characters, environments, visual style and ideas, Odyssey was a lot more compelling.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I dunno, Mario just looks generic and bland to me. Like, it seems significantly less creative and interesting than Super Mario Odyssey, a 5 year old game. I realize that games and movies aren't a direct comparison, but in terms of storyline, characters, environments, visual style and ideas, Odyssey was a lot more compelling.

Remember, the last time Nintendo took a hands-off approach and let movie directors get bold and creative with the Mario property, we got Dinohattan and Dennis Hopper devolving people into monkeys with a SNES Superscope.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Remember, the last time Nintendo took a hands-off approach and let movie directors get bold and creative with the Mario property, we got Dinohattan and Dennis Hopper devolving people into monkeys with a SNES Superscope.

That film will still probably outlive this one.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

You're right, they should have done a Mario vs Rabbids movie.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular

And Dennis Hopper was awesome

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

And Dennis Hopper was awesome

Dennis Hopper as Bowser back then made as much sense as Chris Pratt as Mario now.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

That film will still probably outlive this one.

Well sure, it's one of the most bafflingly awful adaptations of all time. It's not something to be proud of.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think we might be getting a little too invested in the Mario Bros movie

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I think people just like dunking on Pratt these days. Mario is just the vessel.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That said, he is a terrible mis-match for Mario, and a vocal performance (at least in the trailers) best described as "tepid" does not help at all.

I think people just like dunking on Pratt these days. Mario is just the vessel.

I mean, maybe, probably, but at the end of the day this movie is for kiddos and they do not care a bit

The real Mario movie for adults is coming out in January on HBO with the Last of Us adaptation

edited December 2022
    Speaking of Pratt voice acting, I watched Onward with the kids this weekend. It was solid. Like the most absolutely mid-line Pixar film possible. It had an emotional payoff and it was cute and kinda fun but also nothing really stood out or was super memorable. There was nothing I thought was bad about it either. It was just extremely fine and exactly what you expect from a standard Pixar film and nothing more.

Chris Pratt as the older brother Barley is I think the most stand-out thing in the entire film. He does a great job and if you told me the cast list was a complete lie and they'd actually cast Jack Black in that role, I'd 100% believe you. And I mean that in a good way. He was channeling the best parts of Jack Black super hard and it worked really well.

Don't rush to your couch to watch it or anything but it's a cute little film that you wouldn't regret seeing if that happened to occur.

shryke on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Speaking of Pratt voice acting, I watched Onward with the kids this weekend. It was solid. Like the most absolutely mid-line Pixar film possible. It had an emotional payoff and it was cute and kinda fun but also nothing really stood out or was super memorable. There was nothing I thought was bad about it either. It was just extremely fine and exactly what you expect from a standard Pixar film and nothing more.

Chris Pratt as the older brother Barley is I think the most stand-out thing in the entire film. He does a great job and if you told me the cast list was a complete lie and they'd actually cast Jack Black in that role, I'd 100% believe you. And I mean that in a good way. He was channeling the best parts of Jack Black super hard and it worked really well.

Don't rush to your couch to watch it or anything but it's a cute little film that you wouldn't regret seeing if that happened to occur.

But that only brings us back to the question that was being asked constantly when it came out, which was "why not just cast Jack Black?"

But that only brings us back to the question that was being asked constantly when it came out, which was "why not just cast Jack Black?"

Why would you when Pratt did a great job in the same kind of performance?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

How will they ever top perfection?

z48g7weaopj2.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Late to the party but:

Saw Tenet on HBO Max(finally). Maybe it was better on the big screen, but I wasn't feeling it. It was good, but certainly not see it in theaters while Covid was raging and there was no vaccine available because it was 2020 good.

Actors where good. First time seeing Robert Pattinson playing an actual Adult and not a YA character(as in an functional adult and not a young man trying starting out in life thing). Liked what I saw. But having seen the Night Manager earlier, Elizabeth Debicki really needs to stop dating arms dealers. John David Washington compares well to his father Denzel and I hope that continues.

Nolan is still better than 90% of filmmakers out there and it certainly wasn't a waste of time(heh), but I think he over-estimated Tenet's cultural importance there.

Anyone else have a huge crush on R-Pat during this movie? His whole "hyper competent rogue with a permanent knowing grin in prep school chic" schtick was so fucking charming

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I really didn’t care for the movie but the fashion in Tenet was so fucking good

Just A++ 🔥 fits

Eddy wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Late to the party but:

Saw Tenet on HBO Max(finally). Maybe it was better on the big screen, but I wasn't feeling it. It was good, but certainly not see it in theaters while Covid was raging and there was no vaccine available because it was 2020 good.

Actors where good. First time seeing Robert Pattinson playing an actual Adult and not a YA character(as in an functional adult and not a young man trying starting out in life thing). Liked what I saw. But having seen the Night Manager earlier, Elizabeth Debicki really needs to stop dating arms dealers. John David Washington compares well to his father Denzel and I hope that continues.

Nolan is still better than 90% of filmmakers out there and it certainly wasn't a waste of time(heh), but I think he over-estimated Tenet's cultural importance there.

Anyone else have a huge crush on R-Pat during this movie? His whole "hyper competent rogue with a permanent knowing grin in prep school chic" schtick was so fucking charming

I like Pattinson as an actor and he does a good job in the film.

Washington was also a real standout. I hope it gets him noticed some more.

And yes, everyone was extremely well dressed. It's important to look spiffy while taking a cheese grater to a man's face.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna say, as someone who hasn't seen that old Mario movie since I was a kid, it's great. 100% an awesome movie and anyone who doesn't like it is just wrong. No, I don't need to rewatch it to verify that, why would you ask?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Honestly Onward cemented for me that getting "big names" to do voice acting without any experience in voice acting is always a mistake. Tom Holland was terrible and Chris Pratt's best moments were dollarstore Jack Black impersonations.

And with the exception of Pratt's conversion to religious bigotry, I enjoy both actors in live action! But both of them bring nothing positive to the table with just their voices

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Hey, you wanna throw down?

Let's-a go.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Hey, you wanna throw down?

Let's-a go.

*takes off gloves*
    *takes off boots*
    *takes off overalls*
    *leaves cap in place*

Let’s-a do it

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I saw Tenet in the cinema, which was fine where I live because we didn't have any covid cases at the time. I've found myself not really being grabbed by the last few Nolan movies which is a bummer because he was one of my favourite directors for a while.

I loved all the actors in it, and early on my imagination of what could be happening was fired and I was interested, but as the movie went the story ended up being relatively straightforward, and the time stuff just didn't do much for me. The whole forward and reverse time mixing hit a weird uncanny valley of being just complicated enough to make action scenes a little hard to follow while not actually being that exciting or interesting to look at.

Since it came to netflix I have gone back and rewatched a few times hoping I'll get something more from it, and I never do, but it is decent enough that I keep trying I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.