As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trump Criminal Exposure] INDICTED! AGAIN! This time, it's D.C.

MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
edited August 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is for any and all crimes, their investigations, and any trials/consequences thereof, of criminal actions by Trump, that pertain to his time as President.

Not his business exposure, that goes here for most of those...
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240686/trump-org-s-business-is-criming-and-business-is-good

Except his sexual assault crimes, which go here...
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/227164/the-former-president-of-the-united-states-was-credibly-accused-of-rape-again

Nor the insurrection, at least as long as the J6 Committee thread is concluded, found here...
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/245068/january-6th-committees-investigation-into-the-gops-attempted-coup

The key one this is focusing on, is the illegal handling of documents, but should anything else crop up that isn't suited to those threads, then it's definitely something that can go here.

If you need a refresher, here's the OP that explains the basic outline of the NARA case against Trump.
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/243564/trump-criminal-exposure-2-many-crimes-2-many-coverups

The latest news was posted by ArcTangent on the last page of the previous thread.
ArcTangent wrote: »
Garland is appointing a special counsel to determine if Trump should be indicted.

As if the answer wasn't obviously yes already, though I am seeing the more legal types saying that this is an overt escalation (ie a good thing and a strong move towards indictment), and that the special counsel is someone who specializes in war crimes and internal affairs (eg prosecuted a CIA official who leaked intelligence). But it's also CYA and stalling, and the right wing doesn't give a shit about being impartial.

"Breaking News: Attorney General Merrick Garland will name a special counsel to take over two major criminal investigations involving Donald Trump."
- New York Times is a newspaper.

Just a reminder, ESPECIALLY with Twitter in the shitter for the foreseeable future, please make sure to copypasta the content of a tweet, as well as the source, for if Twitter permanently goes tits up. But also embeds don't work at the best of times.

Final note, I doubt many here think that Trump is guaranteed to be charged, let alone convicted, let alone spend appreciable time in custody. But can we keep the pessimism to a minimum, especially posts that are just "Nothings going to happen, nothing will ever happen, eat at Arbys" nihilism. If Trump fully skates on all charges, and faces no consequence, I'll listen to you tell me you told me so then.

Elki on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    You know, I was feeling cynical about the special counsel thing, but then uh...

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F2e%2F9c%2Fff55eca84d06b553db4e1eab342d%2Ftrump-justice-department-21141.jpg

The fact that it's Coach Beard is mildly reassuring. Hopefully the rest of the diamond dogs are available for good talks when necessary.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Tweet is a video clip from the special counsel announcement. Really playing with my emotions where they cutoff the quite though.
    Garland: Based on recent development, including the former president's announcement that he is a candidate for president in the next election, and the sitting president's stated intention to be a candidate…

Idea is that to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, as Trump is now a Political opponent in a presidential election, a special counsel has been named as a buffer for the Biden AG.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pepperidge Farm here, just remembering how everyone convinced themselves that Mueller was absolutely going to throw the book at Trump

The appointment of a special counsel doesn't mean shit is going to actually happen. Wake me when he's actually indicted, I'm done hyping myself up based on delusions that the system will save itself.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    What can a special master even do at this point, anyway?

Make a report with a heavy "recommendation" that will be summarily ignored?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pepperidge Farm here, just remembering how everyone convinced themselves that Mueller was absolutely going to throw the book at Trump

The appointment of a special counsel doesn't mean shit is going to actually happen. Wake me when he's actually indicted, I'm done hyping myself up based on delusions that the system will save itself.

Different cases. Different evidence. Worlds of difference. No good faith reason whatsoever to try to compare the two.

He’s empowered to prosecute.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Special Counsel, not Special Master:
    28 CFR 600 wrote:
    § 600.6 Powers and authority.

Subject to the limitations in the following paragraphs, the Special Counsel shall exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney. Except as provided in this part, the Special Counsel shall determine whether and to what extent to inform or consult with the Attorney General or others within the

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-28/chapter-VI/part-600

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    giving the special counsel both cases sets up a scenario where they decide to lightly prosecute one and let the other go and call that justice
    should honestly be two prosecutors, two cases

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    He’s empowered to prosecute.
    moniker wrote: »
    Special Counsel, not Special Master:
    28 CFR 600 wrote:
    § 600.6 Powers and authority.

Subject to the limitations in the following paragraphs, the Special Counsel shall exercise, within the scope of his or her jurisdiction, the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney. Except as provided in this part, the Special Counsel shall determine whether and to what extent to inform or consult with the Attorney General or others within the

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-28/chapter-VI/part-600

I did not know that. Well, here's to hoping, then.

Though even that feels like hoping too much.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Smith won't be intentionally handcuffed and sabotaged like Mueller was and Trump no longer has Presidential immunity, so he'll be able to do more than just make recommendations.

He's got alarmingly little time though.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    The complete lack of consequences for everything from the 2016 campaign through Trump's entire time in office still pisses me off.

At least throw some investigations at Barr, for fuck's sake.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So my read is that the Special Counsel is mainly a way to sidestep the "going after a political rival" thing in the wake of Trump's announcement. I don't know if that makes it an escalation so much as demonstrating that there isn't currently a deescalation, but either way, fine.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Smith won't be intentionally handcuffed and sabotaged like Mueller was and Trump no longer has Presidential immunity, so he'll be able to do more than just make recommendations.

He's got alarmingly little time though.

How much time do you need for the documents case? Trump had them when he shouldn't, delayed returning them several times and openly says he wants them back.

• Options
    Label wrote: »
    The complete lack of consequences for everything from the 2016 campaign through Trump's entire time in office still pisses me off.

A dozen of his associates/appointees went to prison.

• Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »

A dozen of his associates/appointees went to prison.

Incrimination rolls off him like water off a duck.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So my read is that the Special Counsel is mainly a way to sidestep the "going after a political rival" thing in the wake of Trump's announcement. I don't know if that makes it an escalation so much as demonstrating that there isn't currently a deescalation, but either way, fine.

In this case I’m inclined to believe an indictment is likely because they don’t want their indictment coming directly from the incumbent Presidents DOJ.

There’d be no other reason to do this if they didn’t think they were going to prosecute.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

In this case I’m inclined to believe an indictment is likely because they don’t want their indictment coming directly from the incumbent Presidents DOJ.

There’d be no other reason to do this if they didn’t think they were going to prosecute.

While I'm hopeful you're right, I can see a fairly simple reason why you might be wrong.

If they're not going to prosecute, making it clear it was "out of their hands" would be a reason to hand it off.

A Biden DOJ that refused to indict a clearly guilty (based on publicly available admissions by the guilty party) would be absolutely pilloried, and rightly so.

Putting a degree of separation in there would offer some level of deniability.

Again, hoping for it being to deflect the bad faith bullshit of the GOP (which is still coming, because bad faith fuckery is their only defence), but not ruling out the other option either.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A cynical take would be that Biden wants to look like he's doing at least the bare minimum, and this is his fifteen pieces of flair, but I don't know if I would buy that, either.

I think Biden is trying to find his way to an indictment.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Technically Biden shouldn't be doing shit in regards to what the DOJ does. If he's holding to that (anyone's guess, Washington norms weren't exactly concrete before) this decision would be coming from Garland directly.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Technically Biden shouldn't be doing shit in regards to what the DOJ does. If he's holding to that (anyone's guess, Washington norms weren't exactly concrete before) this decision would be coming from Garland directly.

Yeah, I think if you look at stuff like the Jan 6th committee and what they found and how the DOJ was surprised, you get the picture that a lot of Democrats, maybe including Biden, are eyeballing the DOJ like "Maybe do something guys" but generally not being explicit about this because the DOJ is supposed to be independent.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    A cynical take would be that Biden wants to look like he's doing at least the bare minimum, and this is his fifteen pieces of flair, but I don't know if I would buy that, either.

I think Biden is trying to find his way to an indictment.

I mean if we are being super cynical Realpolitik. An indictment of Trump is something that helps Joe Biden. And honestly helps the democrats. The special investigator allows himself to distance himself from the backlash.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    shryke wrote: »
    As always, the issue here is that trump is presenting a hither to unseen level of criminality by a president (or former depending on the specific crime) and no one wants to risk angering millions of morons or figure out the specifics of incarceration.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Didn't the new Republican house start by investigating Hunter Biden's laptop?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    People were worried that Trump might become invincible if he became a political candidate, so this is their answer to that. It's okay if a special counsel does it. Other than that, the investigations are just proceeding as they did before.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Didn't the new Republican house start by investigating Hunter Biden's laptop?

House doesn't change hands until January.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I believe that House 'Pubs are already having press conferences talking about the investigations they are going to start, and that's going to be Hunter scandals and other delusional nonsense.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I assume Garland knows him and his deputies are probably gonna spend most of the next months after january testifying in front of congress answering dumbass questions so it's probably good to hand off this workload off to a special counsel who presumably can't be touched by congress

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    In case people missed it, at least one person you might not expect thinks an indictment should happen.

"I personally think that they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump]" -- Bill Barr

- Aaron Rupar is an independent journalist, the quote is from a clip of an interview he gave on CNN.

He gives some weasel shit answers after that, but it's clear where he is on the legal side of things.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    “They should definitely be indicting Trump and not me for doing the things he told me to.”

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    “They should definitely be indicting Trump and not me for doing the things he told me to.”

I’d take that trade.

• Options
    Trump showing up to the white house on Thursday trying to get pardoned

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Does anyone seriously think the special counsel is going to do anything?

• Options

I do.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

If he's able to seriously (and bindingly?) offer to not run for public office again, I wonder how Biden or DoJ would handle that.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

If he's able to seriously (and bindingly?) offer to not run for public office again, I wonder how Biden or DoJ would handle that.

He can’t just say that. If he did, they’d just tell him to show up for hearings and actually answer questions rather than taking the 5th.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

I think that's a moot question.

Everything out of Trump's mouth is a lie.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

He can’t just say that. If he did, they’d just tell him to show up for hearings and actually answer questions rather than taking the 5th.

I guess I'm talking about the classified document theft. The clock's about to run out on the committee supoena.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The only way that'd work is if he delivered the senate votes for a conviction on impeachment. Trump won't be doing that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I do.

Care to elaborate? I think it's clear the doubters don't think Trump will face indictment and as that is everyone's primary concern, does this mean you do think he'll face indictment?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Butters wrote: »

I do.

Care to elaborate? I think it's clear the doubters don't think Trump will face indictment and as that is everyone's primary concern, does this mean you do think he'll face indictment?

To be fair, the "doubters" as you've termed them have doubted the possibility of literally every single thing ever that's ever happened to Trump and his associates happening at every opportunity, at all times, forever.

I do not think this step would be taken to just have nothing happen after.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    In case people missed it, at least one person you might not expect thinks an indictment should happen.

"I personally think that they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump]" -- Bill Barr

- Aaron Rupar is an independent journalist, the quote is from a clip of an interview he gave on CNN.

He gives some weasel shit answers after that, but it's clear where he is on the legal side of things.

Of course for the document theft, not for anything else

Just adding clarity that Barr is referencing the most obvious, straightforward, caught him in the act, proven he has illegal information crime

This discussion has been closed.