As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Am playing Hi Fi Rush, still in the tutorial I think, but it reminds me of Sunset Overdrive, but melee and rhythm focused, and also pretty focused on taking down a corpo, but you don't get to dress up your dude (yet? I dunno). I'm liking it so far.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Am playing Hi Fi Rush, still in the tutorial I think, but it reminds me of Sunset Overdrive, but melee and rhythm focused, and also pretty focused on taking down a corpo, but you don't get to dress up your dude (yet? I dunno). I'm liking it so far.

I just made it through the first boss and it’s pretty damn fun. I absolutely love the aesthetic and the enemy personalities are great.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The Dead Space remake is good:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yT882yrfSEc

IGN gave it a 9/10

I have fond memories of playing the original, so if you've not done that give the remake a whirl.

If you played the original, this is basically a prettier version with a reworked plot to make everything clearer.

SPOILER ON ENDING
    There is also some form of alternative ending but I will just look it up on youtube.

Karl on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    The big Hitman 3 update comes out today where they rename it to Hitman: World of Assassination and add the Freelancer mode and safe house and all of that.

It's also currently only like ten bucks to get the 'all the past games' expansion pack.

Genuinely crazy how much stuff is in the game at this point.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Uh, Steam says if you pre-purchase Dead Space you get Dead Space 2. What the heck does that mean? Are they re-doing that one too or does it mean just the original?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Uh, Steam says if you pre-purchase Dead Space you get Dead Space 2. What the heck does that mean? Are they re-doing that one too or does it mean just the original?

It would the original. Though if this is successful I can see them remaking the second game. Which was better

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That screenshot looked like one of those "fly in the big plane and BRRT stuff" COD levels for a bit there

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Just trying to get through Telling Lies while it's still available, and I sure do wish that Sam Barlow games weren't so actively hostile to the player. (to be fair, Her Story was fine for this, it's the later ones that get worse)

I 100%'d Immortality because I enjoyed the bits of storytelling going on and wanted to see it all, but that one had "hope the RNG is on your side, or you will never be able to see everything" fighting with me the whole time.

Telling Lies, I'm at the point where now I'm curious about the story, but I am much less curious about the fifty percent of the game experience that involves watching video of someone's face silently looking at me. I get that it's that way on purpose, and it's neat to match up both ends of a conversation, but I've found that it just makes me watch everything at 2x speed with the scrubbing controls to get through things faster, which is probably not the intended result.

(also, it really needs a "skip to the beginning" button)

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    that HiFi Rush game looks very fun and I hope it gets onto a non-Xbox console

Can’t help with other consoles but I saw it did make its way to Steam as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817230/HiFi_RUSH/

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The weird thing about Watch Dogs Legion is that the strength of Watch Dogs 2 was it's surprisingly likeable cast of characters and they decided to follow that up with no characters.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The weird thing about Watch Dogs Legion is that the strength of Watch Dogs 2 was it's surprisingly likeable cast of characters and they decided to follow that up with no characters.

Every Watch Dogs game has a decent enough premise that it immediately lets down in many ways, is the thing.

Watch Dogs 1: What if a WikiLeaks type was also an urban vigilante/Batman type? Let down by horrible tone deaf edgy writing and being more of a proof of concept than a fully realized action game.

Watch Dogs 2: What if Anonymous that the nightly news constantly memes on was basically an AC-style guild of colorful characters for the player to work with? Let down by the gameplay basically being GTA where your lovable scamp protagonist 3D prints assault rifles and commits terrorist attacks.

Watch Dogs: Legion: What if the summer of protests meant that any person could be deputized into a super group to take down an evil government, V for Vendetta style? Let down by Ubi being so evil and amoral themselves that they have genuine trouble making a coherent political stance for the evil side OR the good side.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs 2 is the one that's good in spite of that dissonance though

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    max krieger is a dev on titles such as crossniq+ and among us vr

interesting to see the new emerging marketing paradigm for midbudget "AA" releases being "just release them at a keynote. no marketing budget, no teaser, no nothing, just cold drop it".

it's got both interesting and ominous implications for the state of gaming culture mindshare

on one hand, if you've got the resources and brand power to ensure eyes are always glued to your conference, it can probably be a great way to produce AA/Big Indie titles at a reduced cost and mitigate marketing risk

on another, this relies entirely on having a powerful partner

ultimately, though, it's a sign that the mindshare of video game buzz/culture/community is at a saturation point where traditional long-burn marketing just doesn't work anymore in a lot of cases. memory and discourse channels are at saturation.

this has been observed for years; market trends have seen promo windows for all but the biggest AAAA blockbusters shrink and shrink from announcement to release. big success games that land in the AA zone budget-wise have been seeing marketing cycles of like... 4 months?

i think this is another phenomenon fueling one of the largest waves of consolidation in industry history - you can self-fund as a modestly sized publisher, you can find the talent, but you just can't put your head above the crowd in a cultural field of view that is entirely full.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think he's saying something interesting there but I don't like the word "mindshare" for some reason

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I have difficulty thinking of reduced hype and marketing cycles as a bad thing, especially since so many of these games are either launching in early access or being sold as a live service

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The thing about Watch Dogs 2 is that it is more colorful and has more interesting characters than Watch Dogs 1 but the writing quality is still pretty bad and it makes it even weirder that you immediately start with the ability to blow up the street for no reason

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I have difficulty thinking of reduced hype and marketing cycles as a bad thing, especially since so many of these games are either launching in early access or being sold as a live service

that is fair but what I mainly think he's getting at is "if 'AA' releases have basically given up on marketing, how does that bode for the promotion of indie games"

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mostly marketing for indies is way more about social media spread and getting attention from a decently sized site as far as I can tell.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, Hi-Fi Rush is made by Tango Gameworks, which is owned by Bethesda, which is owned by Zenimax, which is owned by Microsoft, so its not gonna leave Xbox
    Which is a bummer because it's REALLY cool.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Dead Space remake, did the preload last night.

This will be my friday evening...some whiskey and horror.

I'm sure my 3 year old can tag a long if she wants. No alcohol for her though, wouldn't want to do any damage.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlq6fFOqI28
    Pizza Tower is a fast paced 2D platformer inspired by the Wario Land series, with an emphasis on movement, exploration and score attack. Featuring highly stylized pixel art inspired by the cartoons from the '90s, and a highly energetic soundtrack.
    20230126 Pizza Tower (Action 2D Platformer Platformer Cartoony 2D)

Oh shit Pizza Tower is finally out? I've been waiting for this for years, this game looks so sick
    Finally someone makes a new Wario Land because Nintendo sure as hell won't

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The thing about Watch Dogs 2 is that it is more colorful and has more interesting characters than Watch Dogs 1 but the writing quality is still pretty bad and it makes it even weirder that you immediately start with the ability to blow up the street for no reason

Point in its favor for making me actually like characters in a GTA-like though. I initially thought Wrench was just going to be some cardboard caricature of "stick it to the man" edge archetypes game studios love to make whenever want to pretend like they're still hip with the kids (but their frame of reference for what a "kid" is is from 1995).

I mean he still kinda is, but they did write him better than I expected to the point where by the end of the game he was one of my favorites on the cast.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »

I'm sure my 3 year old can tag a long if she wants. No alcohol for her though, wouldn't want to do any damage.

Besides, 3 year olds can't hold their liquor for shit. Lightweight little fuckers ain't worth drinking with

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Enough of the character names in Hi-Fi Rush are foods that I wonder what's up with the few that aren't.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

Besides, 3 year olds can't hold their liquor for shit. Lightweight little fuckers ain't worth drinking with

you can get 'em to crap anywhere after a shot or two tho

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    mjlwdzbx066d.png

It's turn 3. The heart may, just possibly, be in serious trouble (And i still have card plays left)

Edit: Ayup.

1h29au45bth2.png

Yeah, this was silly. So So silly. Draw the entire 34 card deck turn 1 of the heart fight silly, while knocking most of it to zero cost

As someone new to Slay the Spire, can I ask how

Like does this rely on stuff you’ve unlocked, or do I just need to be making smarter choices

It may be due to a few cards unlocked if you haven't gotten everything yet, but from looking at his relics there's some good synergies going on there.

Bottled Tornado (5th in list) let's you put a power in your starting hand (I am going to assume Penquin put Corruption.
    Pocketwatch (3rd in list) draws you extra cards next turn if you only play 3 or less cards on your current turn. (this probably more important earlier in the run, not so much the Heart fight turn 1)
    Centennial Puzzle (7th) draws 3 cards the first time you take damage.
    Torii (8th) reduces damage taken when it is 5 or less down to 1 damage (this is nice for the Beat of Death damage the heart gives you, which damages you every time you play a card).
    Runic Cube (12) draws a card every time you take damage.

Corruption power turns all skills into 0-cost, at the price the card is exhausted when played. That combined with the Dark Embrace power (draws a card when you exhaust a card) and all those relics means Penquin has an absurd card draw engine if they're able to line things up.

Edit: there's way more going on here than just that, but that's basically how Penquin drew their entire deck on turn one. There's a lot of exhaust synergy cards/powers there that would let them keep going as well generate block (Feel no Pain) and keep the block (Barricade)

This is basically spot on.
    Olivaw wrote: »
    mjlwdzbx066d.png

It's turn 3. The heart may, just possibly, be in serious trouble (And i still have card plays left)

Edit: Ayup.

1h29au45bth2.png

Yeah, this was silly. So So silly. Draw the entire 34 card deck turn 1 of the heart fight silly, while knocking most of it to zero cost

As someone new to Slay the Spire, can I ask how

Like does this rely on stuff you’ve unlocked, or do I just need to be making smarter choices

Naph has the right of it!

Also like I'm heading towards 4k hours in this game, my ability to identify here is the broken stupid things I can do is pretty good.

This particular run, I bottled corruption early, and basically went hard on a strategy where I exhausted or otherwise destroyed the entire deck. A lot of the early game was built around abusing pocket watch + blood 4 blood to blow things up, also to compensate for being forced into taking mark of pain.

One bit that Naph missed was I have Brutality + runic cube, so at the start of every turn I take one damage, then draw 2 cards. If centennial puzzle hasn't yet been triggered, that's another 3 cards. 10 card draw on turn 2? Why not!

Then if Rupture is in play, I get 2 strength from that.

Probably the biggest thing is look at how many cards in that list become exhaust with corruption, and also look at how they provide me with gas in various ways. Towards the end of the game I was actively removing attacks at shops just to make it easier to get the whole engine online.

And then all the self damage can be healed by rupture letting me charge up reaper, and paper phrog making everything hit even harder

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Brutality + Runic Cube + Rupture is damn near an entire build in its own right

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have never been able to beat slay the spire

It's too complicated for me

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have almost never been able to convince myself to take corruption, unless I already have like a dead branch or something. My brain just won't let me build around destroying all my defense cards as I use them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have almost never been able to convince myself to take corruption, unless I already have like a dead branch or something. My brain just won't let me build around destroying all my defense cards as I use them.

as long as your deck does something with the exhaust (card draw, block, both), corruption is easily one of the best cards in the game. it solves so many problems, and can easily turn decks into infinite loops that can just win.

often you just need to play a good card in your deck once to win. obviously, the corrupt heart fight makes that a little trickier, but in general, this will win you runs. anything that gets you to your best cards faster and makes sure you can play them.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The fun thing is once you pick up corruption you can grab as many weird skills as you want and not worry about clogging your deck with them

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My friends and I picked up the Tom Clancy Breakpoint game and man Ubisoft has really tried to go all in on military simulation nonsense to a stupid and funny degree

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to Redfall!

• Options
    Here's a weird thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Kt65xxYuQ

Pinball FX is getting a set of Gearbox-themed tables, there's a Borderlands one and a Homeworld one, but the actual interesting bit is there's a Brothers in Arms table. As far as I can tell, this is the first official piece of Brothers In Arms content released in about 9 years after an iOS game.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hi fi Rush is legit god damn hilarious at several points I was god damn dying of laughter.

Though there was one boss fight that had my fucking raging but its mostly because it 100% relied on being on beat and I'm just not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs 2 allowed me to solve most encounters- if not without violence - then at least without actually pulling out a gun and shooting it.

Like yeah, sure, I was guns blazing by the very end of it all, but I got WAY further into it via subterfuge and careful tech tricks than I was honestly expecting.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Oghulk wrote: »
    My friends and I picked up the Tom Clancy Breakpoint game and man Ubisoft has really tried to go all in on military simulation nonsense to a stupid and funny degree

It’s decent coop but yeah was a step down from wild lands.

At least they added in the ability to turn off the new weapon levelling system that launched with breakpoint.

They tried to just make it The Division and the fan base screamed bloody murder.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Free Epic games this week are...Adios and Hell Is Others. I heard a lot of good stuff about Adios, had cool style.
    Next week is City of Gangsters, and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Vanillaware fantasy game teased in 2019 at end of development, George Kamitani says gematsu.com/2023/01/vanill…

This discussion has been closed.