Options

The 118th United States [Congress] Our long national nightmare comes to a beginning

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I legit don't know why we don't build to five stories with the first two basically prepped to be Venice. Or on stilts, or fucking something, I don't know. I'm already pushing 50, so I'm going to miss most of the carnage. If I don't get priced out of the state by then anyway.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The old people moving to Florida are probably the ones who have pretty good retirement savings so it might actually result in money flowing into Florida. Actual man power shortages are a different matter though.
    A very common DMC retirement plan is to sell their 500k-700k dc house and go buy a 200k-300k house in Fl GA or the Carolinas. And use the extra to help fuel retirement.

That’s what my Dad did. Sold a house near Microsoft main campus in Redmond, moved to Florida. Spends his days hopped up on pain pills while his wife practices with her guns so she’s ready “when the immigrants come”.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The old people moving to Florida are probably the ones who have pretty good retirement savings so it might actually result in money flowing into Florida. Actual man power shortages are a different matter though.
    A very common DMC retirement plan is to sell their 500k-700k dc house and go buy a 200k-300k house in Fl GA or the Carolinas. And use the extra to help fuel retirement.

That’s what my Dad did. Sold a house near Microsoft main campus in Redmond, moved to Florida. Spends his days hopped up on pain pills while his wife practices with her guns so she’s ready “when the immigrants come”.

They had best be ready, with their Demographics they'll need to lay out the welcome mat for every immigrant who can still serve a latte and stack a shelf or.theyll all starve!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The left voting coalition includes lots of marginalized folks with lower life expectancy

Also accumulating property does turn people conservative, and that’s a thing that happens for most non-marginalized folks as they age

Put those two things together and old people will always be among the most reactionary age groups at any time

The Republican Party has done a lot to reverse the trend of olds getting more conservative, in my case at least. I used to be vaguely liberal, let's all just get along, to now thinking that capitalism is evil, Republicans are evil, Democrats are at best incompetent, and violent rebellion and revolution are all but inevitable cause the fascist ain't gonna stop on their own.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

They had best be ready, with their Demographics they'll need to lay out the welcome mat for every immigrant who can still serve a latte and stack a shelf or.theyll all starve!

And treat their ailments.

Because given how the Florida government is cracking down on transgender care, family planning, vaccinations, and whatever the next culture war bullshit is (cause you know it's coming), I can't see them having a great attraction to domestic doctors, nurses and other caregivers, at least the younger demographics. Which usually means recruiting internationally.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Because given how the Florida government is cracking down on transgender care, family planning, vaccinations, and whatever the next culture war bullshit is (cause you know it's coming), I can't see them having a great attraction to domestic doctors, nurses and other caregivers, at least the younger demographics. Which usually means recruiting internationally.

And grouchy racist old people just loooove being treated by foreign doctors and nurses.

• Options

And grouchy racist old people just loooove being treated by foreign doctors and nurses.

And I'm sure being angry, abrasive and abusive to them will engender feelings of loyalty in return.

Question for those who know immigration law, can the worker visas be tied to a state, given visas are generally a federal domain? I know I saw stuff with Musk and Twitter that people were essentially locked in, because if they left and couldn't find another job in the field (and the field was in a pretty shit situ at the time), they'd be deported. Basically, I'm asking if Florida are forced to put out visas for international healthcare workers, if (when) they're mistreated, can they shift to a different state that'll have them, or can they be locked in to "Work in Florida, or go home"?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    But, massive influxes of people are making Florida one gigantic sprawl. I can see a time when I-95 never leaves a city. Hopefully I'll be almost dead from old age by then, but it's coming.

how much of it will be underwater by then? :\

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'm not from Florida, can anyone tell me if "Miami Beach" is economically significant for the state

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm not from Florida, can anyone tell me if "Miami Beach" is economically significant for the state

Yeah, but just imagine how valuable it will be for those few years that's its Miami Island!

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

And I'm sure being angry, abrasive and abusive to them will engender feelings of loyalty in return.

Question for those who know immigration law, can the worker visas be tied to a state, given visas are generally a federal domain? I know I saw stuff with Musk and Twitter that people were essentially locked in, because if they left and couldn't find another job in the field (and the field was in a pretty shit situ at the time), they'd be deported. Basically, I'm asking if Florida are forced to put out visas for international healthcare workers, if (when) they're mistreated, can they shift to a different state that'll have them, or can they be locked in to "Work in Florida, or go home"?

The visas are already tied to the job and if you want to move to a different company, you have to get the new company to do a bunch of paperwork and spend time and money to "sponsor" you.

They're basically already not transferable in a much smaller area that a whole state.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Miami Beach is a city that literally is on an artificial human created barrier island.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Beach,_Florida

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The visas are already tied to the job and if you want to move to a different company, you have to get the new company to do a bunch of paperwork and spend time and money to "sponsor" you.

They're basically already not transferable in a much smaller area that a whole state.

Yeah, the work visa is tied to the company that sponsored it, so of you leave that job, you need to change to one that will handle the work visa sponsorship, and I have no idea what time limits or restrictions burden that process. So add that to the environment where tech companies are doing a lot more firing than hiring, and you can see how those people were 'locked' into working for twitter.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Unless the company has a national reach and cycles people in and out to different markets for various reasons.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Never mind

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Unless the company has a national reach and cycles people in and out to different markets for various reasons.

Well, and also it's the case that skilled care professionals in like 10 years will be in incredible demand, so companies in other states will seek them out and poach them.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Yeah, the work visa is tied to the company that sponsored it, so of you leave that job, you need to change to one that will handle the work visa sponsorship, and I have no idea what time limits or restrictions burden that process. So add that to the environment where tech companies are doing a lot more firing than hiring, and you can see how those people were 'locked' into working for twitter.

I believe it’s 60 days grace period however healthcare workers don’t generally have problems finding sponsors.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    But, massive influxes of people are making Florida one gigantic sprawl. I can see a time when I-95 never leaves a city. Hopefully I'll be almost dead from old age by then, but it's coming.

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

Salt water intrusion into the aquifers is going to be a bitch though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

It’s much more problematic for California.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

Much of Florida is also limestone so when the salt water begins to soak will cause more problems

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

Cali's problem is more keeping the rivers above a minimum flow.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Yeah, but just imagine how valuable it will be for those few years that's its Miami Island!

It's already an island

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Mostly just the tip.

[img]httpz://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/bk/s1up5pbjzjmt.png[/img]

Big "sell their houses to who, Ben? Fucking Aquaman?" vibes in chart-form!

• Options

Mostly just the tip.

Regarding that chart.

Pro - Palm Beach (Maralago) appears to be on it.
    Con - In green, so a lot of people will suffer before that particular abomination is consumed by the waves.
    Secon Con - Trump will likely be long dead before that happens.
    Hmm... Second Pro - Trump is old and will succumb to age soonish.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    A whole hell of a lot of people live directly on the coasts. Think about what happens when a hurricane displaces a (relatively) small strip of coast, and expand that to literally all of Florida, since there's not really any coastal area that's not occupied. Coastal areas of all the southern states are just as fucked too.

Also, in that graphic, the entire space launch complex of KSC/CCSFB is underwater, but at least that area might take actions to prevent flooding unlike the rest of the state, who will happily stuff their fingers in their ears until we all drown.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular

Mostly just the tip.

s1up5pbjzjmt.png

Joke’s on you, all our aquifers are collapsed so there’s nothing for the salt water to intrude into!

…wait a sec

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    lol yeah Texan drivers are uniquely terrible

Everyone drives very angry and selfish

Atlanta says "hold my beer"

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    lol yeah Texan drivers are uniquely terrible

Everyone drives very angry and selfish

Atlanta says "hold my beer"

285 is a fuckin experience.

First time I dealt with left hand exits as a teenager. Shit caught me hella off guard.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options

Mostly just the tip.

I wasn’t trying to suggest it’s not going to be a problem. We as a species like to build next to rivers and the Ocean. It is very likely we will have to relocate 20 million Americans over a 10 year period. And we are not ready for that. We are also likely going to have to relocate half a trillion dollars of industry over that period of time. And we are really not ready for that.

And several areas will need to invest a trillion dollars in Infrastructure as well. Just to maintain status quo.

That’s in addition to rising food prices, collapse of the California farm industry, High intensity hurricanes, aggressive new viruses. It’s going to be a bit of a shit show. And the US is in a position to withstand it much more easily than most other countries.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Mostly just the tip.

I wasn’t trying to suggest it’s not going to be a problem. We as a species like to build next to rivers and the Ocean. It is very likely we will have to relocate 20 million Americans over a 10 year period. And we are not ready for that. We are also likely going to have to relocate half a trillion dollars of industry over that period of time. And we are really not ready for that.

And several areas will need to invest a trillion dollars in Infrastructure as well. Just to maintain status quo.

That’s in addition to rising food prices, collapse of the California farm industry, High intensity hurricanes, aggressive new viruses. It’s going to be a bit of a shit show. And the US is in a position to withstand it much more easily than most other countries.

If only we had a series of large inland freshwater lakes with a lot of spare industrial capacity and infrastructure support surrounding them. That would be awesome. We could even call them the Awesome Lakes or something similar.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    “Her future is in her own hands.”

— Senate Judiciary Committee Chair and Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL) says he has not personally spoken to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) amid her health issues and has no regrets about putting her on the Judiciary Committee.

Love it when our elected officials in positions of power refuse to utilize their power to do their fucking job.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

— Senate Judiciary Committee Chair and Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL) says he has not personally spoken to Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) amid her health issues and has no regrets about putting her on the Judiciary Committee.

Love it when our elected officials in positions of power refuse to utilize their power to do their fucking job.

Also, love when I can't tell if they're intentionally bullshitting, or legitimately believe their bullshit.

I can accept people believing that Feinstein should be able to retire when she saw fit. I totally disagree, but I can accept that position.

But she should have been nowhere near such an important fucking committee. Arguably the most important committee once Republicans took back the House, and it was the only real thing the Senate could do without House input, and is so important because of Republican fuckery of the courts

So anyone who says they don't regret putting her on that committee, at least in hindsight, and having the clusterfuck that currently exists, is either huffing too much DC bullshit, or is spreading it.

Cause "decorum and civility".

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    She “should” have been able to decide when her time was finished….until she had a prolonged medical issue that kept her away from her job for such an extended period of time.

Add to it that there’s not even a tentative timetable for her to return should make it clear that it’s time for her to bow out gracefully for the good of the party.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Mostly just the tip.

Regarding that chart.

Con - In green, so a lot of people will suffer before that particular abomination is consumed by the waves.

Henry Kissinger turns 100 on May 27th. Don't count on time to work in your favor.

• Options
    One of the downsides to being the party that is older, is that there are so many old democrats in the senate. And while the Senate judiciary committee is important, the senate can choose to change the rules for any nominee, and have them go straight to an up or down senate vote. There isn’t any pressing nominations right at the moment. But Feinstein should probably retire. And Newsome hopefully elects a young Democrat to replace her.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Mostly just the tip.

If only we had a series of large inland freshwater lakes with a lot of spare industrial capacity and infrastructure support surrounding them. That would be awesome. We could even call them the Awesome Lakes or something similar.

Hush you. We don't need the rest of the US getting greedy about all the water. They will Colorado-River fuck it all up.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Also, love when I can't tell if they're intentionally bullshitting, or legitimately believe their bullshit.

I can accept people believing that Feinstein should be able to retire when she saw fit. I totally disagree, but I can accept that position.

But she should have been nowhere near such an important fucking committee. Arguably the most important committee once Republicans took back the House, and it was the only real thing the Senate could do without House input, and is so important because of Republican fuckery of the courts

So anyone who says they don't regret putting her on that committee, at least in hindsight, and having the clusterfuck that currently exists, is either huffing too much DC bullshit, or is spreading it.

Cause "decorum and civility".

Yeah, it's literally impossible to tell if he means it or not because he would be saying the exactly same thing either way.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Marathon wrote: »
    She “should” have been able to decide when her time was finished….until she had a prolonged medical issue that kept her away from her job for such an extended period of time.

Add to it that there’s not even a tentative timetable for her to return should make it clear that it’s time for her to bow out gracefully for the good of the party.

She's been unfit for serving as a Senator for a while now. Her "prolonged medical issue" is declining cognitive function.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Feinstein is failing at her job and should be removed. Democratic Leadership is failing their constituents by not removing her.

But, honestly, I'm also pissed at her staff and advisors. They have a responsibility to report her actual problems. They should go to said leadership and if nothing is done you go to the next person up the chain of command and if you don't get action then you might have to go public.

If I didn't report an impaired colleague and they hurt a patient I would be as responsible for any harm just as they would and I don't think it's wrong to hold politicians to that same standard.

Yeah, you might torpedo your career (as I might as well if I went public about an impaired colleague), but that's the breaks.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Mostly just the tip.

Regarding that chart.

Henry Kissinger turns 100 on May 27th. Don't count on time to work in your favor.

You aren't wrong, but I figure the green mark isn't going to be reached in at least the next 30 years. And if that's the timeframe, I'd expect "soonish" to be enough.

That's well within the timeframe of most of the people who are being actively fucked over by Republican bullshittery. Women currently or soon to be of childbearing age (50 or less), people with massive student loans, people most likely to give a shit about climate change, students dealing with the plague of shootings (Columbine graduates would be in their mid 40's), and a significant percentage of people embracing an identity that Republicans have an issue with. I accept some people who are being harmed (and aren't blinded to the harm) are older than 50 , but I wouldn't expect it'd be close to a majority.

And 30 years would put Trump at 106. Possible, but unlikely. Tack on another 10, and it goes from unlikely to "Yeah, he's a lich" territory.

This discussion has been closed.