Options

The 118th United States [Congress] Our long national nightmare comes to a beginning

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Desantis won in 2018 by half a percent. Idk a lot of people were probably primed to write the place off after enough bad Florida Man jokes.

The beef against Florida goes as far back as 2000 with GWB. Long before Florida Man.

The reason it gets treated as a red state these days it since Obama took office it's been trending red in a lot of votes and it sure feels like Democrats haven't been winning anything meaningful there for years and it's only getting worse.

Also, IIRC, since 2000 or so, Republicans have held the Governorship, both fed Senators, majorities in the fed House delegates, and both chambers of the state legislature for most if not the entire time.

I mean if that doesn't qualify it for red state status, what does? Kansas has had three terms of Democratic Governor in that same timeframe. Missouri had a two term Senator. Even Alabama had Doug Jones. I doubt anyone would argue they're not red states.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be contested. But there's no arguing that while the people might not be as hard right on policy (see Kansas abortion referendum, and Florida felon voting rights, both of which are being undermined by the legislatures) as their elected officials, when it comes to electoral outcomes, Florida appears to very much be a "red state" by any definition of the term.

I feel like Gen X coming to retirement age is playing a big factor in this. I recently visited a mildly affluent aunt and uncle from Indiana that bought a place in Key Largo, and that whole region looks like a giant "Boaters for Trump" rally.

Generational birth years are fuzzy and dubious, but any Gen Xer retiring now is retiring real early unless they're armed forces or something else with a fat pension.

A lot of Florida’s growth is coming from people retiring at 55 and moving to the 55+ metros springing up down there

People who retire at 55 = a lot of cops and business owners, btw

But also people that have been fortunate to accumulate wealth and property vs their age cohorts, which correlates with conservative-to-reactionary politics as well

So yeah this is a big part of Florida’s trajectory- a shit-ass dem party that’s happy getting rich being the subservient minority and a deliberate population growth strategy targeting the worst of our nation to bring in

Edit: this is so funny, I’m trying to give away an extension ladder I received 9 years ago from my then-55-year old neighbor who retired from his job as a firefighter to move to The Villages

9vatc6vdqnia.png
    https://usafacts.org/data/topics/people-society/population-and-demographics/our-changing-population/state/florida

Florida is headed for a huge population crisis very soon. The vast majority of people moving to Florida are old right-wingers, which is why the sudden large rightward shift. However, those people ain't gonna be around for much longer.

They tend to get replaced by other retirees. The thing about turning 70 is that it happens to somebody every year. Same as 18. The main problem for Florida is that those seniors don't want to pay taxes to help somebody else's kids/ grandkids. Places like The Villages do less than nothing to support local school districts &c, and intentionally so.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    moniker wrote: »
    Desantis won in 2018 by half a percent. Idk a lot of people were probably primed to write the place off after enough bad Florida Man jokes.

The beef against Florida goes as far back as 2000 with GWB. Long before Florida Man.

The reason it gets treated as a red state these days it since Obama took office it's been trending red in a lot of votes and it sure feels like Democrats haven't been winning anything meaningful there for years and it's only getting worse.

Also, IIRC, since 2000 or so, Republicans have held the Governorship, both fed Senators, majorities in the fed House delegates, and both chambers of the state legislature for most if not the entire time.

I mean if that doesn't qualify it for red state status, what does? Kansas has had three terms of Democratic Governor in that same timeframe. Missouri had a two term Senator. Even Alabama had Doug Jones. I doubt anyone would argue they're not red states.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be contested. But there's no arguing that while the people might not be as hard right on policy (see Kansas abortion referendum, and Florida felon voting rights, both of which are being undermined by the legislatures) as their elected officials, when it comes to electoral outcomes, Florida appears to very much be a "red state" by any definition of the term.

I feel like Gen X coming to retirement age is playing a big factor in this. I recently visited a mildly affluent aunt and uncle from Indiana that bought a place in Key Largo, and that whole region looks like a giant "Boaters for Trump" rally.

Generational birth years are fuzzy and dubious, but any Gen Xer retiring now is retiring real early unless they're armed forces or something else with a fat pension.

A lot of Florida’s growth is coming from people retiring at 55 and moving to the 55+ metros springing up down there

But also people that have been fortunate to accumulate wealth and property vs their age cohorts, which correlates with conservative-to-reactionary politics as well

So yeah this is a big part of Florida’s trajectory- a shit-ass dem party that’s happy getting rich being the subservient minority and a deliberate population growth strategy targeting the worst of our nation to bring in

Edit: this is so funny, I’m trying to give away an extension ladder I received 9 years ago from my then-55-year old neighbor who retired from his job as a firefighter to move to The Villages

9vatc6vdqnia.png
    https://usafacts.org/data/topics/people-society/population-and-demographics/our-changing-population/state/florida

Florida is headed for a huge population crisis very soon. The vast majority of people moving to Florida are old right-wingers, which is why the sudden large rightward shift. However, those people ain't gonna be around for much longer.

They tend to get replaced by other retirees. The thing about turning 70 is that it happens to somebody every year. Same as 18. The main problem for Florida is that those seniors don't want to pay taxes to help somebody else's kids/ grandkids. Places like The Villages do less than nothing to support local school districts &c, and intentionally so.

While true, you can see the previous decade the trends were pretty different.

imdr4osti9vp.png

While a large portion was indeed still 65+, a much larger portion was the younger 50+, and the even younger demographics were growing significantly faster than this last decade. In 2000, 66.5% of the population was younger than 50. In 2021, that changed to 58.8%. That's not a good change for a state looking to the future.

cm05vdnwg7so.png

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    And based on California I assume not a single person in texas also knows how to drive either. THATS RIGHT YOU SONS OF BITCHES I DON'T FORGET!!!

As a New Englander - 90% of the country are shamefully bad drivers. As bad a rap as Massholes get, at least they try to get from place to place with some level of purpose.

As a Midwest transplant to New England, I'm gonna blame the roads. Those meandering, frost heave-striken, two-lane interstates that criss-cross NE aren't conducive to learning proper long-distance driving conduct, which is ironic since it takes so much longer to get anywhere.

Nah, they toughen the drivers up and given you a sense of urgency since it takes forever.
    In my experience:
    1. Midwest drivers are terrible because they do not experience curves. Most things are grids with stoplights/stopsigns, so a 45 degree curve is something they have never prepared for. My sister went to college in Cedar Rapids - there's a set of random S turns that you can sit and watch people slow down to 20 mph and creep through.
    2. California drivers are terrible because they have no urgency or often sense they are even in a motor vehicle. That, coupled with a lack of alternative routes, means you get random traffic for no reason.
    3. Maryland/DC area drivers are terrible because they're as aggressive as new england drivers but they never bothered to develop any level of skill.
    4. NYC drivers CAN be bad as they're often city kids with no sense of what speed/roads actually are as they're bound by traffic 99% of the time, so any moment they can they slam that accelerator.
    5. New York state drivers are bad because they're constantly afraid of the state police ticketing them (100% legit).
    6. Mid-Atlantic drivers nail the rage of Maryland/Massachusetts with the skills of midwestern driving.

As far as New England, I find the general diversity of surfaces, structural types and terrain means you generally have to learn some level of driving. That said, Mass drivers are reliably aggressive, NH and VT are a bit out to lunch but reasonable (though backroads are taken at much higher speeds than others) and Maineiacs are just such a mixed bag I struggle to explain them - they'll often do just the speed limit on a 55 highway only to continue to do 55 through the center of a town.

Can confirm about the town roads, that's a big problem in this area.

But also we go 55 on the windy middle of nowhere dirt roads so long as they're dry.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    Florida as a cultural and political entity is like, relatively recent. Population-wise, the majority of the growth was post-1950s, and prior to that it was a very small pop state compared to the rest. Having moved to Florida from Georgia and going off the ways people talk about it here, I am not really sure it really has a culture to speak of- or if it does, it's not very well defined or entrenched compared to other states.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Florida is confederate af, Miami plus the tropical tourism cause people to overlook its history

• Options
    Anyway back to congress and the impacts of lawmaking, the “drivers everywhere are terrible” thing isn’t just a trope/joke, it’s a reflection of the inherent shittiness of every person doing it and all that goes into variance in skills/attention/experience plus the number of vehicles on the road at a time not on a predetermined track

It’s a really bad fucking problem

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    That's not a good change for a state looking to the future.

Good news!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean if any state has an excuse not to look to the future it’s the one that might literally be underwater in a few decades

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Biden should just issue an executive order that says the debt ceiling is nonexistent and that all the government’s monetary obligations will be paid.

Make these donkey show understudies stand in front of SCOTUS and argue that the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution is unconstitutional. Dare Alito to blow up the global economy for the sake of a bunch of hostage-taking chickenshits.

Republicans have done this “stand and deliver or I’ll shoot the hostage and make you a murderer” bullshit at every available opportunity because they can’t win power legitimately and cheating their way through this broken-ass system is the only move they know anymore. Just tell them “no more” on this at least, FFS.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I mean if any state has an excuse not to look to the future it’s the one that might literally be underwater in a few decades

“There’s too much money here for that to happen” per that one journalist who posed as a high-end South Beach buyer to learn how real estate state agents there sell multi-million units in buildings that flood every day

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    And based on California I assume not a single person in texas also knows how to drive either. THATS RIGHT YOU SONS OF BITCHES I DON'T FORGET!!!

As a New Englander - 90% of the country are shamefully bad drivers. As bad a rap as Massholes get, at least they try to get from place to place with some level of purpose.

As a Midwest transplant to New England, I'm gonna blame the roads. Those meandering, frost heave-striken, two-lane interstates that criss-cross NE aren't conducive to learning proper long-distance driving conduct, which is ironic since it takes so much longer to get anywhere.

Nah, they toughen the drivers up and given you a sense of urgency since it takes forever.
    In my experience:
    1. Midwest drivers are terrible because they do not experience curves. Most things are grids with stoplights/stopsigns, so a 45 degree curve is something they have never prepared for. My sister went to college in Cedar Rapids - there's a set of random S turns that you can sit and watch people slow down to 20 mph and creep through.
    2. California drivers are terrible because they have no urgency or often sense they are even in a motor vehicle. That, coupled with a lack of alternative routes, means you get random traffic for no reason.
    3. Maryland/DC area drivers are terrible because they're as aggressive as new england drivers but they never bothered to develop any level of skill.
    4. NYC drivers CAN be bad as they're often city kids with no sense of what speed/roads actually are as they're bound by traffic 99% of the time, so any moment they can they slam that accelerator.
    5. New York state drivers are bad because they're constantly afraid of the state police ticketing them (100% legit).
    6. Mid-Atlantic drivers nail the rage of Maryland/Massachusetts with the skills of midwestern driving.

As far as New England, I find the general diversity of surfaces, structural types and terrain means you generally have to learn some level of driving. That said, Mass drivers are reliably aggressive, NH and VT are a bit out to lunch but reasonable (though backroads are taken at much higher speeds than others) and Maineiacs are just such a mixed bag I struggle to explain them - they'll often do just the speed limit on a 55 highway only to continue to do 55 through the center of a town.

Can confirm about the town roads, that's a big problem in this area.

But also we go 55 on the windy middle of nowhere dirt roads so long as they're dry.

I grew up in southwestern NH, which is functionally indistinguishable from western mass. and VT, so I know all too well.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

9vatc6vdqnia.png

Also as younger generations lean more liberally each new batch of old folks will probably slide further to the left.

Though are those old folks necessarily going to Florida? I dunno. But everyone doesn't just turn into a right winger at a certain age.

• Options
    The left voting coalition includes lots of marginalized folks with lower life expectancy

Also accumulating property does turn people conservative, and that’s a thing that happens for most non-marginalized folks as they age

Put those two things together and old people will always be among the most reactionary age groups at any time

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Patty Murray became the first woman in the senate to cast 10k votes. Not too shabby patty!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

9vatc6vdqnia.png

Also as younger generations lean more liberally each new batch of old folks will probably slide further to the left.

Though are those old folks necessarily going to Florida? I dunno. But everyone doesn't just turn into a right winger at a certain age.

No small part of the reason older folks are Conservative is because of the intersecting demographic characteristics that trend towards being more progressive also trend towards lower life expectancy. A black voter tends to die ~4 years earlier than a white voter on average.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    The left voting coalition includes lots of marginalized folks with lower life expectancy

Also accumulating property does turn people conservative, and that’s a thing that happens for most non-marginalized folks as they age

Put those two things together and old people will always be among the most reactionary age groups at any time

No doubt. But if a younger generation is more left leaning then even if the same percentage were to be swayed to the otherside thats still more overall not making the change.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying if it trends a certain direction that trend would likely carry through over time.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I guess it depends on if you view political views from a fixed position versus a relative one. Today's 60 somethings are majority support for legalizing cannabis, when that was not the case for 60 somethings in the 90's. But they also have the lowest support and it's ~20 points below the yutes and ~6 points behind the nation as a whole. That's progress compared to when we were kids, but it's still conservative compared to what the country is today.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I guess it depends on if you view political views from a fixed position versus a relative one. Today's 60 somethings are majority support for legalizing cannabis, when that was not the case for 60 somethings in the 90's. But they also have the lowest support and it's ~20 points below the yutes and ~6 points behind the nation as a whole. That's progress compared to when we were kids, but it's still conservative compared to what the country is today.

They also aren’t in favor of Jim Crow laws, unlike their grandparents. Woke.

• Options
    Most people moving to florida recently are self selecting red based on the current government there outside of Atomika's one friend who apparently doesn't watch the news.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Most people moving to florida recently are self selecting red based on the current government there outside of Atomika's one friend who apparently doesn't watch the news.

Yeah old liberals move to Colorado and get really into weed.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »

In my experience:

And CT drivers are perfect

CT drivers don't see yellow and I'm not even sure they see red. A whole lot of colorblindness I suppose.

They can't see red, and that's all that Marylander's can see? =p

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Yeah old liberals move to Colorado and get really into weed.

Shh, you're blowing up my retirement plan.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Ardol wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »

In my experience:

And CT drivers are perfect

CT drivers don't see yellow and I'm not even sure they see red. A whole lot of colorblindness I suppose.

They can't see red, and that's all that Marylander's can see? =p

We also see Old Bay

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Y'all need to come drive in Texas we're fucking nuts down here.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Y'all need to come drive in Texas we're fucking nuts down here.

I'm good, thanks!

• Options
    Yeah Bothell drivers are fucking stupid enough. My dad told me he saw someone in texas do a full uturn at speed on the highway over a median, I ain't about that life.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    San Antonio is 47% freeway lane, and that’s only the fourth worst ratio in the state

I’ve done that once, I’m good for life now

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Yeah Bothell drivers are fucking stupid enough. My dad told me he saw someone in texas do a full uturn at speed on the highway over a median, I ain't about that life.
    I saw that in Missouri with someone blaring their horn and flipping everyone off.

Their truck also had a confederate flag.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I saw that in Missouri with someone blaring their horn and flipping everyone off.

Their truck also had a confederate flag.

I've seen that here with lefty bumper stickers all over the place too. The Vanifesto is not restricted to one side of the political spectrum.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

When I informed her, she immediately wrote it off

She’s got five non-white kids, and isn’t a homophobe, so yeah. Despite being ignorant at first, she made the right judgment call upon being informed.

• Options
    lol yeah Texan drivers are uniquely terrible

Everyone drives very angry and selfish

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Unlike national trends, in Seattle, the number of traffic and pedestrian deaths increased during the pandemic, when the roads were empty because no one was driving.

Because everyone that did drive, did so in a way that killed people.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

Unlike national trends, in Seattle, the number of traffic and pedestrian deaths increased during the pandemic, when the roads were empty because no one was driving.

Because everyone that did drive, did so in a way that killed people.

I live in Seattle, I blame the roads

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

9vatc6vdqnia.png

Wow, that's fucking nuts. The number of 65+ folks increased 40%, and the number of prime working age people barely moved. I don't see how that even functions. 65+ is their biggest demographic group by a significant margin. What the hell are they going to do when those people need care?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    They'll blame it on millennials being lazy, is what they'll do.

What's going to be wild, is that between all those old fuckers with money moving in and rising sea levels claiming housing. Is that they'll probably start getting the housing crisis that the west coast is experiencing, where you have people with really good paying jobs, that can't even afford rent. So that working population is probably going to start declining when all the old conservative fuckers create a scenario that prices them out.

Also possible that the GOP will manage to piss off enough of the big employers like Disney, that they move out of the state. I know NC already has people trying to convince Disney to close shop in Florida and move their operations up north.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    tbloxham wrote: »

9vatc6vdqnia.png

Wow, that's fucking nuts. The number of 65+ folks increased 40%, and the number of prime working age people barely moved. I don't see how that even functions. 65+ is their biggest demographic group by a significant margin. What the hell are they going to do when those people need care?

It's simple, really. Pay out the nose for it.

Traveling nurses and other temp workers come in for six months on contract and then leave. No real patient relationship built, no insights to pass on to their doctors (who are also getting older and not replaced, fun times coming ahead for that), and will be mostly an anonymous phone call to their families when the end is nigh. This is what an ex-sister-in-law did for her work. Cleared $10k most months thanks to her advanced degree and long term contract with her agency. If she was making that much per month, they must have been charging two to three times that. And people wonder why our healthcare is so damned expensive some days.

edit: people don't whinny in most cases near death.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The old people moving to Florida are probably the ones who have pretty good retirement savings so it might actually result in money flowing into Florida. Actual man power shortages are a different matter though.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The old people moving to Florida are probably the ones who have pretty good retirement savings so it might actually result in money flowing into Florida. Actual man power shortages are a different matter though.
    A very common DMC retirement plan is to sell their 500k-700k dc house and go buy a 200k-300k house in Fl GA or the Carolinas. And use the extra to help fuel retirement.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Florida is pretty much a bunch of smaller states pretending to be a big state. South Florida (pretty much West Palm to Miami + the Keys) is fairly liberal, aside from the Cubans. Then it's a whole bunch of nothing until you hit Orlando, then it's capitalism central, with Disney and the tourist industry. Go west from there and Tampa used to be fairly republican, but I haven't really paid much attention to what goes on there. Go North and East of Orlando, you hit the Space Coast, lots of government employees there. A little farther north and St. Augustine is starting to build up its suburban sprawl. Jacksonville is a very blue collar city and from what I remember leans kin of right. Anything not the Miami-West Palm Metro Area, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando can be considered rural to sparse suburban. But, massive influxes of people are making Florida one gigantic sprawl. I can see a time when I-95 never leaves a city. Hopefully I'll be almost dead from old age by then, but it's coming.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    But, massive influxes of people are making Florida one gigantic sprawl. I can see a time when I-95 never leaves a city. Hopefully I'll be almost dead from old age by then, but it's coming.

how much of it will be underwater by then? :\

This discussion has been closed.