As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Strategy locked in commander. Very well...Engage!

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I thought 7 had a good story. 6 has a decent one as well but the support conversations are atrocious. I guess that's what happens when you have 60 characters and half of them are throwaway ones that no one ever uses
    Wouldn't 6 having bad support convos be on the fan translators that wrote them? I'm guessing you meant 7 and 8 and not 6 and 7?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I don't think the story itself is that bad. It's the writing that's the problem. The line-to-line dialogue is just awful.

I don't know how much of that is the liberties they took with translations... playing with JPN voice acting on its clear there's some wide swings in terms of translations going on (the jist is the same, but sometimes a lot of intention is getting cut).

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The game opens with your character being "badass" by struggling to 2v1 a basic grunt with the help of Marth, Hero King of Legend. I don't think the translation issues are the main problem.

That said, Fire Emblem is a weird one because the games do have some odd translation changes in some situations, but also need to have aggressive translation/localization because the devs just love to have the main character unironically pick out child brides, so it's really hard to know what liberties are being taken for what reason.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Units that get bonuses to Avo or debuff enemies with -Hit:
    Zelkov (-10 hit to attackers)
    Goldmary (-20 hit to males)
    Framme (+10 avo to her/Alear if next to Alear)
    Lapis (+10 avo if next to ally)
    Pandreo (+3 avo for each enemy/ally within 2 spaces)
    Merrin (+5 avo to her and nearby female allies if two female allies within 2 spaces)
    Saphir (+20 Avo while hp <50%)

According to a guide I read online, enemies in Engage max out at 196 Hit, so if you can get to 196 Avo you're basically untouchable.

You get 2 AVO per point of SPD and 1 more AVO per 2 points of LCK, so a faster class can get you to 80-100 AVO to start. 30 from Marth, 30 from Weapon Agility, and then make up the rest with Personal Skills, Weapon Engraving, and in a pinch bonuses for high Support levels.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man Goldmary got RNG screwed for me.

Not even that her growths are bad she just had a string of bad level ups.

Hovering around a 140 rating when my team average is 160.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    My RNG gave me an Anna with way better Str than Mag, so I had no issues just keeping her in physical classes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    My RNG gave me an Anna with way better Str than Mag, so I had no issues just keeping her in physical classes.

I haven't fielded Anna yet because I can't convince myself to put a 12-year old into battle. Same with the Healer kid. In my headcannon, they're learning to be shop and medical assistants back at base. Maybe when they're older they can participate in battle.

Like yeah, the others are "anime 18" teenagers, so that's not much better. Of course, I only have one adult character in Vander, and he can't solo anything. At least the main roster isn't literal children. Those two don't even have the "I'm actually a 1,000 year old dragon" schtick to hide behind.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Anna is Anna, she's not human anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Almost the entire cast, including the emblems, are child soldiers. Jean isn't even a teenager so he was instantly benched. Anna got a pass because Anna are from some story and setting transcending legion of Anna.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Chapter 23 spoilers:
    Thinking about where I want my final Engraves to end up. Thinking the S-rank weapons + Alear's stuff, but an argument can certainly be made for putting +Crit Engraves on Killer weapons for more consistency.

Marth - Liberation
    Sigurd - Brionac
    Celica - Nova
    Miciah - Cinquedea
    Roy - Georgios
    Leif - Fragarach
    Lucina - Caladbolg
    Lyn - Lendabair
    Ike - Ukonvasara
    Byleth - Divine Fist Art
    Corrin - Carnwenhan
    Eirika - Venomous
    Fire - Wille Glanz

The problem is no one really wants Celica, which is basically just -1 Mt for -1 Wt. I don't know who would really appreciated 50 Dodge.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I still love that in the first FE Warriors game Anna has attacks involving more Annas showing up. Like one has them wheeling a bunch of ballistae up to bombard enemies.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Chapter 23 spoilers:
    Thinking about where I want my final Engraves to end up. Thinking the S-rank weapons + Alear's stuff, but an argument can certainly be made for putting +Crit Engraves on Killer weapons for more consistency.

Marth - Liberation
    Sigurd - Brionac
    Celica - Nova
    Miciah - Cinquedea
    Roy - Georgios
    Leif - Fragarach
    Lucina - Caladbolg
    Lyn - Lendabair
    Ike - Ukonvasara
    Byleth - Divine Fist Art
    Corrin - Carnwenhan
    Eirika - Venomous
    Fire - Wille Glanz

The problem is no one really wants Celica, which is basically just -1 Mt for -1 Wt. I don't know who would really appreciated 50 Dodge.

Dodge is probably best on a flyer or Mage. They'll usually be the ones most likely targeted for staff abilities so it's a sure why not thing.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Chapter 23 spoilers:

Marth - Liberation
    Sigurd - Brionac
    Celica - Nova
    Miciah - Cinquedea
    Roy - Georgios
    Leif - Fragarach
    Lucina - Caladbolg
    Lyn - Lendabair
    Ike - Ukonvasara
    Byleth - Divine Fist Art
    Corrin - Carnwenhan
    Eirika - Venomous
    Fire - Wille Glanz

Only engraving I bothered with was Lyn on Chloe's Killer Lance.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Marth’s is purely free stats. No reason not to use that one.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Marth’s is purely free stats. No reason not to use that one.

Sigurd, too.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I haven't fielded Anna yet because I can't convince myself to put a 12-year old into battle. Same with the Healer kid. In my headcannon, they're learning to be shop and medical assistants back at base. Maybe when they're older they can participate in battle.

Like yeah, the others are "anime 18" teenagers, so that's not much better. Of course, I only have one adult character in Vander, and he can't solo anything. At least the main roster isn't literal children. Those two don't even have the "I'm actually a 1,000 year old dragon" schtick to hide behind.
    Ironically, Tiki is literally a child in Engage. No 1,000 year old shenanigans

Alear: no sense of right or wrong

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I've been super busy all week and haven't been able to block off a large enough chunk of time to do the last chapter, and have instead been spinning my wheels doing skirmishes for gold and SP in my fleeting spare moments.

I might be almost ready to be done with the game, especially with Octopath 2 coming out.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I don’t think the game needed 12 extra chapters to unlock the back half of emblems’ levels. The remakes of older maps from the origin game is cute, but the game is already fairly meaty. I can’t imagine having run skirmishes for anything.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Which is not to say I didn't enjoy this game immensely. The combat is A+ and I don't think I minded the story as much as most people. I have a high tolerance for sentimental anime schlock, after all.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Leveling up and losing your full HP bonus is the worst thing in this game after gacha.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Thinking about post-game level 50 Tempest Trials. Technically spoilers for post-game, though it's mostly just me laying out numbers. Still:
    Divine Dragon SPD 43 LCK 35 = 86 + 17 = 103 AVO
    Wing Tamer SPD 45 LCK 53 = 90 + 26 = 116 AVO
    Swordmaster SPD 49 LCK 37 = 98 + 18 = 116 AVO
    Wolf Knight SPD 45 LCK 34 = 90 + 17 = 107 AVO
    Griffin Knight SPD 49 LCK 35 = 98 + 17 = 115 AVO
    Thief SPD 42 LCK 30 = 84 + 15 = 99 AVO

Alear - 1 SPD = 2 AVO (105)
    Hortensia - 1 SPD 2 LCK = 3 AVO (119)
    Kagetsu - 2 SPD 1 LCK = 5 AVO (121)
    Merrin - 2 SPD 1 LCK = 4 AVO (111)
    Chloe - 3 SPD = 6 AVO (121)
    Zelkov - 1 LCK + (-10 Hit) = 10 AVO (109)

Skills: AVO 30 +
    Sword/Lance/Bow 30 AVO
    Knife/Tome 15 AVO

AVO Targets (0-1-2 Skills):
    Alear - 92 - 62 - 32 = S. Lyn + E. Alear
    Hortensia - 78 - 48 - 33 = S. Micaiah + E. Lucina
    Kagetsu - 76 - 46 - 16 = S. Marth + E. Leif
    Merrin - 86 - 56 - 26 = S. Lucina + E. Sigurd
    Chloe - 76 - 46 - 16 = S. Eirika + E. Corrin
    Zelkov - 88 - 58 - 43 = S. Byleth + E. Micaiah

Sync Stats:
    Marth - 4 SPD = 8 AVO (+20 AVO while Engaged/w Rapier)
    Micaiah - 6 LCK = 3 AVO
    Lucina - 4 SPD 6 LCK = 11 AVO
    Lyn - 5 SPD + 10 SPD = 10 AVO (30 AVO)
    Byleth - 3 SPD 12 LCK = 12 AVO
    Eirika - 10 LCK = 5 AVO

Engraves:
    Micaiah 40 AVO
    Lucina 30 AVO
    Sigurd 20 AVO
    Fire 20 AVO
    Corrin 10 AVO
    Byleth 10 AVO
    Leif 10 AVO
    Marth 5 AVO

E: Not sure if I'll do all of that before I'm content to stop playing, but it's good to have a plan just in case.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    All right, I'm back to where I was before my corrupted saves and even one chapter ahead. In addition, I did a lot better this time around, including Chapter 17 where previously I lost 2 characters but this time none. Been a bit paranoid about doing some actions in the Somniel that may have written bad data to the save and I am using a bunch of the save slots. No corruption so far...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Finally pulled the trigger on finishing the game. Ended up enjoying it beginning to end.
    A simple shonen story about found family and the friends you met along the way. Sure! Wasn't looking for anything complicated or dark after Three Houses' "you can't be happy no matter what route you pick" edgelord suffering festival.

Did a bit of post-game Support grinding at the Somniel. Not sure I have the patience to see all the Supports. Especially with an unopened copy of Octopath Traveler 2 yelling at me, plus all the shows I've neglected watching entirely the last month.

E: I'm at 140 hours played, for reference/comparison. Chapter 21 story battle was 4 hours by itself for me.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Sigurd trial, wow. Those 2 super beefed up casters were by far the hardest part (on Hard, one of the casters has 3 crystals, meaning you have to kill him 4 times, and he has nearly 50 hp). Then after you defeat both, you get a measly 3k gold. The game really fails at rewards sometimes.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Sigurd trial, wow. Those 2 super beefed up casters were by far the hardest part (on Hard, one of the casters has 3 crystals, meaning you have to kill him 4 times, and he has nearly 50 hp). Then after you defeat both, you get a measly 3k gold. The game really fails at rewards sometimes.

That's a George Mallory type challenge. Totally optional, just to see if you can.

• Options
    Yeah, there are a lot of things in the Emblem trials that are references to the original games and in older games there were a lot of situations you were just supposed to avoid some super enemy. Byleth's challenge is also wacky, there are entire groups of enemies who ignore you completely.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Anyway, a big effortpost on the gameplay/mechanics of Engage, because I've been thinking about it a good bit. Everything is from the perspective of Hard Classic with the DLC unlocked.

Basic Combat: It's Fire Emblem, so it's pretty good. Character specific skills to vary wildly from being unremarkable to being extremely valuable, especially on the character/class specific lord skills. Weapons seem to be nicely balanced this go around, although it could just be DLC but it felt like you got good ranged melee weapons super early and so you could always kill enemy mages on their phase without much hassle. Break is a good system but I think a little underutilized/weak: combined with the ubiquitous range weapons, the number of situations where an enemy can counterattack for significant damage and you can't soften them from range and you can't one shot them and you can't switch up the order you're attacking so the more durable person gets a hit in first is very, very small and in most of those situations it's because you're physically attacking an armored unit with a Spear or Tomahawk and they're immune to break anyway. The time crystal is alright; I thought 10 uses was too much in most situations and when you're confident you can just use it to rig the RNG, but I do think having a lot of charges is useful when you are trying to pick apart a specific pod or boss that charges forward.

I think the heavy usage of enemies with life crystals is a pretty good thing since it solves the problem old FE had where boss units had to be parked in place and hit with a very specific units because being overstatted means they'd take no damage or turbomurder units. Bosses would be the best people to break, except on hard you can usually not die to a bosses counterattack and will never ever ever ever ever want to let them survive a turn anyway so you can sorta just facetank. Fell Dragon Wyrms or whatever are completely annoying and serve no purpose in the game (or narrative!), they're just a beef gate that maybe requires you to use a Seraph Robe on your squishiest casters because they do piercing damage or blow an engage attack or two.

Emblem Stuff: Emblems are cool because they let you do a lot of powerful stuff (mostly player-phase focused) that would normally take a ton of effort or game knowledge to do, and allow you access to a lot of powerful effects to control the battlefield. They are also an interesting direction to take weapon proficiencies and skill development, but I'm not sure it worked out that well (more on that later). They also kind of keep you at a baseline level of competence, because just engaging to access emblem weapons and skills will usually keep up with whatever you're doing until the lategame, where legendary weapons or upgraded silver stuff will outclass the emblems themselves. Most of the emblems are pretty good and there's a good mix of emblems to support all types of units, whether it's facetanking on enemy phase, AoE nukes, or battlefield support. The timing of 3-4 rounds of uptime with one super attack per engage works out pretty nicely to where it isn't quiiiiite once per mission per emblem, but still feels meaningful to use them, especially if you aren't dawdling. That said, I think that the game really can't handle having 12-14 person squads who all have emblems available because your safe damage output, stats, and battlefield control is far beyond what the enemies can bring to bear. Corrin Emblem in particular deserves a mention for dropping enemies ~7 levels worth of stats on hit with Draconic Hex and being able to easily lock down enemies so their pods trigger but can't hit you, which is just nuts. The DLC emblems also feel very P2W, with Tiki offering better growths and a 30% discount on everything while Edelgard offers basically +12 str and bonus effects on hits even while not engaged and breaks the action economy, while also giving your whole army +20% EXP via a skill.

Skills and Classes: The skill and class system this time around kinda sucks! You're kind of supposed to promote early for growths, but weapon skills are locked behind emblem levels, which are a chore to grind out and have pretty bad availability depending on where you are in the plot (unless you have the DLC emblems, which you always keep and smooth that out for you). As far as skills go, I don't think the skill point idea is bad but the balance is very wacky, making the a single expensive out of reach of even overlevelled endgame units, let alone having two, and that's without picking up growth boosting skills from the DLC emblems. Because of that, I didn't experiment with things too much, but there are some obvious standout broken things; vantage wrath tanking is probably still viable, especially with Roy emblem, Canto is nuts for breaking the maps wide open and also giving everybody secret +2/+3 movement which is silly, Speedtaker is an easy way to make sure all your units can double the boss by the end of the map, etc. I do wish that some of the more basic skills were more +damage than +hit/-avoid, because this is not a game where you have to deal with too many high hit enemies.

The maps: When they're good, they're great; chapter 11 and 17 are really impressive, and in general whenever the bosses or enemies get to abuse emblem-like abilities against you it feels really nailbiting and like you did something really smart when you manage to beat it. The game is also pretty adept at using a lot of varieties of timer, whether it's the soft timer of a thief or the hard timer of waves of zero-EXP reinforcements, which made it surprising when a very, very lategame mission actually had a hard turn limit instead of just reinforcements. A lot of missions have fun little gimmicks, which is always a Fire Emblem staple, but there are plenty of generic breather missions even in the lategame. The divine paralogues are also pretty clever as representations of the games they came from, with Sigurd's map and it's big set of castle reinforcements, or Leif's really really annoying staff + ballista spam, or Byleth's warp spam army all getting a huge grin out of me.

That said, when the maps are bad, they're really bad. The fact that enemies act in XCom style pods is really obvious in some missions to the point the best strategy is to burn crystal charges just to see how which enemies trigger when you go past what point on the map, and certain maps turn into a slog with continuous reinforcements, Camilla's being the worse offender since it's constant flying reinforcements as you walk down a winding ground only path; it could be interesting, but it just feels like a stat check/will you rush her with your own fliers to cheese check. Skirmishes and the tower maps are uniformly terrible, with the enemy and your units being plopped down at random and the enemy AI set to suicidally aggro, to the point that you can only reasonably clear them if the map lets you set up some sort of choke point (which isn't usually necessary in this player-phase focused game) or if you're already too strong for the plot. And on that note, the game balance does get very, very easy lategame as you just get too much power and too many options to be at serious risk. The final boss fight is also terrible.

The everything else: Everything about getting doodads after missions, the Somniel side activities, training in the Arena, levelling emblems, applying skills, checking your/enemy stats during combat, etc. is all clunky and feels like a step back for the franchise. I decided to get everybody to level 20 with their emblem for the final mission and it took over thirty minutes of mindlessly going into arena fights (which don't even let you see the units equipped emblem, for some reason?), you can't easily tab between units or screens basically anywhere in a way that you definitely could in older games, cooking is a huge stat boost per mission but somewhat clunky, resource grinding is pointless and would be very tedious given the need to RNG a specific map and RNG the drops afterwards, etc. Skill acquisition was the "least" clunky, but even then it'd be nice if I could filter for "skills I can learn" on units so I don't have to tab through like 15 different emblems to see what's available per each unit. The ball was tremendously dropped here, I think, especially with no real justification for this degree of filler side material.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    So I gave the level 50 Tempest Trials a go. Few things:
    Enemies don't rush you like in Skirmishes
    Enemies don't attack you unless they have a chance to hit and damage you
    Enemies occasionally have bonus exclusive skills

This made them VERY tedious to get through. You couldn't just kill everyone on the enemy turn with counters. You had to kill them one by one on your turns. There might be a better way to do this, but. I may just call it done enough.

• Options
    Goldmary really is a succubus isn't she. A bit psycho, and a little slutty.

• Options
    As far as Skirmishes go. Outside of the general complaint of them needing some kind of variance in level I think it would have also helped if they had more variety.

Like why not have more missions where you have to save villagers and you get increased rewards for doing it.

This would have added more variety and also helped the game's terrible economy.

• Options

A lot of the female designs in Awakening are oversexualized in a weird way, but I definitely think the weirdest one is that Goldmary's chest is literally double sized in her default outfit, but she uses the standard female model in all of her costumes.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

A lot of the female designs in Awakening are oversexualized in a weird way, but I definitely think the weirdest one is that Goldmary's chest is literally double sized in her default outfit, but she uses the standard female model in all of her costumes.

hoo boy not in her engage modes they don't

• Options
    Goldmary is hilarious.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

hoo boy not in her engage modes they don't

To be clear I was referring to her costumes around the base, I never actually used her in combat missions.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Goldmary is hilarious.

The combination of absolute confidence at cooking et al. with space cadet personality having no filters in telling everyone she happens upon how great she is at everything was marvelous. One of the more unique characters I've seen created lately. Thoroughly enjoyable Supports.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    The only support of hers I've seen is her being upset that she made a silly face while eating food.

• Options
    Goldmary is hilarious.

The combination of absolute confidence at cooking et al. with space cadet personality having no filters in telling everyone she happens upon how great she is at everything was marvelous. One of the more unique characters I've seen created lately. Thoroughly enjoyable Supports.

Yeah I tend to love characters who are obsessed with being perfect and can actually back it up. It's a nice foil to the more common trope of characters who lack confidence but are secretly geniuses.

• Options
    Goldmary is hilarious.

Yeah I tend to love characters who are obsessed with being perfect and can actually back it up. It's a nice foil to the more common trope of characters who lack confidence but are secretly geniuses.

Her Support with Boucheron is a good example of this.

• Options
    One of my low-key faves is Zelkov.

What if there was a person who's autistic hyperfixation was *everything*?

• Options
    ah yes, *asterisks*