Options

[Fire Emblem] Strategy locked in commander. Very well...Engage!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    milski wrote: »
    It is really not plausible to have your entire army capable of surviving a ~55 might magic attack with three range unless you're already very, very close to level 20 or you're playing on casual and can literally autobattle most maps even on Hard anyway.

Why would your whole army need to be able to? You don't put your entire squad in range. Like the biggest thing in Fire Emblem is positioning to control where damage goes. Its exactly the same here.

The puzzle there is finding a position wherein you survive that 1 big attack. Thats the game. If you are using Lyn then its pretty easy. Mage attacks clone = you win.

You can lock them in place so they can only hit what is in range. You have some units that can tank the damage. You have characters that can dodge tank. You have debuffs to lower that damage and accuracy. You have body blocking.

Since it's only 2 units by themselves its much easier to plan around. They hit hard but they have very few attacks/turns to use that damage.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Heh. I actually meant to mention that the setting in FE: Engage, when spoken of in very broad terms, overlaps entirely with FE: Awakening.

"Good" nation of [Ylisse/Firené] joins up with "strong" nation(s) of [East and West Ferox/Brodia and Solm] to stop the "evil" nation of [Plegia/Elusia], whose past worship of the Fell Dragon has seen them isolated and victimised such that they can self-justify said continued worship.

I have heard it said that Engage is structurally nostalgic for the 3DS games.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    It is really not plausible to have your entire army capable of surviving a ~55 might magic attack with three range unless you're already very, very close to level 20 or you're playing on casual and can literally autobattle most maps even on Hard anyway.

Why would your whole army need to be able to? You don't put your entire squad in range. Like the biggest thing in Fire Emblem is positioning to control where damage goes. Its exactly the same here.

The puzzle there is finding a position wherein you survive that 1 big attack. Thats the game. If you are using Lyn then its pretty easy. Mage attacks clone = you win.

Your whole army doesn't need to be able to, but every single ally you bring into Engage range on the other enemy does, because they will be in range of the Thunder tome afterwards. That's like 6-8 characters at best to kill 4 health bars unless you're way past the recommended level 5.

Lyn clones are only prioritized in the sense they are a kill, so the enemy will not necessarily target them if a real unit is in kill range. It is very, very difficult to set up a situation where you are not either hoping to get the enemy to take a lucky swing at a clone without either being very strong, abusing Canto cheese, or using some sort of other cheese build that has 4+ followup attacks per swing so you can reliably drop the other mage without needing to actually engage attack.

That's fine, given they are an intentional bonus boss, of course.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I just used a couple of Engage attacks since they don't trigger counters.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Your whole army doesn't need to be able to, but every single ally you bring into Engage range on the other enemy does, because they will be in range of the Thunder tome afterwards. That's like 6-8 characters at best to kill 4 health bars unless you're way past the recommended level 5.

Lyn clones are only prioritized in the sense they are a kill, so the enemy will not necessarily target them if a real unit is in kill range. It is very, very difficult to set up a situation where you are not either hoping to get the enemy to take a lucky swing at a clone without either being very strong, abusing Canto cheese, or using some sort of other cheese build that has 4+ followup attacks per swing so you can reliably drop the other mage without needing to actually engage attack.

Yes it definitely requires some set up and possibly well set up characters but I think this is still overstating a bit and missing some things. Like you do not need to have 6-8 characters in range. If the enemy can't move and your characters were just attacking the first one that is now dead, that does not make them all in range of the second mage.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Yes it definitely requires some set up and possibly well set up characters but I think this is still overstating a bit and missing some things. Like you do not need to have 6-8 characters in range. If the enemy can't move and your characters were just attacking the first one that is now dead, that does not make them all in range of the second mage.

Engage attacks have a range of 1-2 in general and the mages are next to each other, so being in range to use an Engage attack means being in range of the other mage's 3-range Thunder tome without Canto cheese. A couple of Engage attacks have more range, but the most notable one, Lyn's, means not setting up the decoy units.

And because the Fire mage has four healthbars and a ton of beef, unless you are massively overlevelled (as you were, based on your statement you were level 15+) you need a large number of those hits to kill one of the mages, which means needing a lot of people who can survive a 50+ might Thunder hit.

I'm no stranger to cheering FE games or to the kind of tactics you can use to break these sort of encounters, but you do actually need to cheese pretty hard to win here and even with cheese it's somewhat of a stat check; you running it at level 15 probably doubles the damage you can do given how high their Def/Res is compared to running it at or near recommended level, and that has a huge impact on how easily you can ensure positioning for the next turn. Hell, just getting people from the upper 30s to the mid 40s in HP is enough to mean you can get the Thunder mage Lyn-locked for three turns as long as you keep your team full health.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Chapter 17

Wasn't any reason for Zephia to reveal the truth about Veyle to Alear and the original personality besides sadistic pleasure. Something something evil sows the seeds of its own destruction.

While the initial enemy placement encourages you to split your forces into one going west and one north, I didn't have enough units to comfortably take out Marni, so I rewound, recombined my army, and pushed forward west then north all in one block. Was a bit worried about the last three bosses rushing me all at once, but at least on Normal you can bait them out one at a time.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Did the Byleth paralogue. Didn't seem like anything special until they started Warping revival gem enemies into my formation. Had to scramble a bit to find a way out of that.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Did the Byleth paralogue. Didn't seem like anything special until they started Warping revival gem enemies into my formation. Had to scramble a bit to find a way out of that.

that little sneaky move made me rewind a turn or two back to handle that better

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Heh. I actually meant to mention that the setting in FE: Engage, when spoken of in very broad terms, overlaps entirely with FE: Awakening.

"Good" nation of [Ylisse/Firené] joins up with "strong" nation(s) of [East and West Ferox/Brodia and Solm] to stop the "evil" nation of [Plegia/Elusia], whose past worship of the Fell Dragon has seen them isolated and victimised such that they can self-justify said continued worship.

I have heard it said that Engage is structurally nostalgic for the 3DS games.

Oh definitely. I forgot to start out that sentence with "Amnesiac MC [Robin/Alear] and..."

And characters are in the same (dragon) vein as 'Fates: almost exclusively a bunch a nobles, with each noble having their two retainers. A wee bit boring. (And a bit overwhelming - at least in the two base 'Fates games you only had half the cast at a time.)

• Options

Engage attacks have a range of 1-2 in general and the mages are next to each other, so being in range to use an Engage attack means being in range of the other mage's 3-range Thunder tome without Canto cheese. A couple of Engage attacks have more range, but the most notable one, Lyn's, means not setting up the decoy units.

And because the Fire mage has four healthbars and a ton of beef, unless you are massively overlevelled (as you were, based on your statement you were level 15+) you need a large number of those hits to kill one of the mages, which means needing a lot of people who can survive a 50+ might Thunder hit.

I'm no stranger to cheering FE games or to the kind of tactics you can use to break these sort of encounters, but you do actually need to cheese pretty hard to win here and even with cheese it's somewhat of a stat check; you running it at level 15 probably doubles the damage you can do given how high their Def/Res is compared to running it at or near recommended level, and that has a huge impact on how easily you can ensure positioning for the next turn. Hell, just getting people from the upper 30s to the mid 40s in HP is enough to mean you can get the Thunder mage Lyn-locked for three turns as long as you keep your team full health.

My dude you jumped into this conversation late. This conversation started by someone mentioning those mages. Two people mentioned some helpful strats. That person(not me) said THEY were 15+ so other people must have been much higher. To which I said I was NOT 15+ and on hard so the strat definitely can work at that point. I was certainly above 5 because I was playing main story missions until I was matched there and have done a whopping 2 skirmishes all game and was still quite a few levels above so it seems pretty easy and reasonable for people to be above that level with no effort, not that it has anything to do with this conversation.

And its super uncool to keep calling things cheese and saying people only beat things cheesing. I didn't even do anything weird with Canto and I'm not sure what Canto cheese you mean but using an ability in a game isn't cheesing for anyone that did. It's like trying to cut down someone else's accomplishments because they used abilities you chose not to. It's like people saying others didn't *really* beat a souls boss because they didn't use the same self imposed restrictions they did. And thats just kinda not a cool thing to do.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I mean the only thing I can say is my units must have terrible stats* and I don't have forged weapons everywhere (and I didn't bring staves because I didn't check the map and I just don't care about staff abuse), because I could not hurt those mages. Even wait bait out strats, spamming engage skills, I could not one-turn them and I didn't feel like spending multiple turns to hopefully weed them down and still have enough units to deal with sigurd and his reinforcements.

* considering I've melted everything else I've run into on normal I really don't understand why those sages had more stats then the literal fell god. maybe they have some weird scaling mechanic based on something?

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited February 2023

My dude you jumped into this conversation late. This conversation started by someone mentioning those mages. Two people mentioned some helpful strats. That person(not me) said THEY were 15+ so other people must have been much higher. To which I said I was NOT 15+ and on hard so the strat definitely can work at that point. I was certainly above 5 because I was playing main story missions until I was matched there and have done a whopping 2 skirmishes all game and was still quite a few levels above so it seems pretty easy and reasonable for people to be above that level with no effort, not that it has anything to do with this conversation.

And its super uncool to keep calling things cheese and saying people only beat things cheesing. I didn't even do anything weird with Canto and I'm not sure what Canto cheese you mean but using an ability in a game isn't cheesing for anyone that did. It's like trying to cut down someone else's accomplishments because they used abilities you chose not to. It's like people saying others didn't *really* beat a souls boss because they didn't use the same self imposed restrictions they did. And thats just kinda not a cool thing to do.

"Cheese" is not a term of derision, it's a very common descriptor for strategies in Fire Emblem (and plenty of other games) that negate an encounter in an atypical way. For example, the warp people are talking about in the Byleth map is literally in there due to the community memes about warp cheese/warp rushing in FE3H, where people 1-2 turn maps by spamming warp staves to skip 90% of them.

I don't know why you are assuming hostile intent and getting yourself worked up here.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

"Cheese" is not a term of derision, it's a very common descriptor for strategies in Fire Emblem (and plenty of other games) that negate an encounter in an atypical way. For example, the warp people are talking about in the Byleth map is literally in there due to the community memes about warp cheese/warp rushing in FE3H, where people 1-2 turn maps by spamming warp staves to skip 90% of them.

I don't know why you are assuming hostile intent and getting yourself worked up here.

I'm just gonna chalk it up to some big misunderstanding of eachother and move on because you're usually a pretty cool dude so something has to be getting lost in translation here lol.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I mean the only thing I can say is my units must have terrible stats* and I don't have forged weapons everywhere (and I didn't bring staves because I didn't check the map and I just don't care about staff abuse), because I could not hurt those mages. Even wait bait out strats, spamming engage skills, I could not one-turn them and I didn't feel like spending multiple turns to hopefully weed them down and still have enough units to deal with sigurd and his reinforcements.

* considering I've melted everything else I've run into on normal I really don't understand why those sages had more stats then the literal fell god. maybe they have some weird scaling mechanic based on something?

My experience on Hard was similar. I couldn't tell you what level I was at when I did that chapter (and that often doesn't mean anything, because I didn't promote any of my characters until level 20 on my first playthrough, which skews things significantly), but the concept of killing those mages without leaving anyone at risk of dying was just not realistically doable for me. And I didn't have any significant difficulty with anything else in the game.

But I do understand why those mages were so strong. They were standing in for particularly notable strong units from Sigurd's game.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    So playing on Normal, I have hit critical mass on Anna. With a weapon Engraved for AVO, standing on a tile with +AVO, her total AVO is ~150, which means no enemies in skirmishes can hit her anymore besides chain attacks.

I turned off attack animations and enemy turns, and she can now clear a skirmish by herself in less than 10 minutes. As a High Priest with Luck +12 from Byleth, she has about 55% chance of getting 500G per enemy kill. I'm probably making about 5000G per skirmish, not counting gold corrupted. Her level is also flying up, and I've had to use two additional Second Seals on her. She's not gaining Bond EXP with Emblems as fast as I thought she might though.

It's taking me longer to run through the Somniel than to fight Skirmishes at this point. I've tried to pare back in the Somniel, but it's still about 20 minutes each time. I need to:
    Feed and Pet in the Grotto.
    Go to the dog Farm for Silver Ingots
    Visit Orchard/Stable/Pool all at once for Support
    Train 3 times in Arena
    Cook a meal
    Polish rings
    Rest in My Room

Also watching Bond/Support ABC events, if any.

It's possible I should just focus on grinding gold all at once for the donations + get a healthy amount for armory and forging without returning to the somniel, but that feels like a huge wasted opportunity cost for support/bonds etc.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    one tip for FE:Engage is that you don't physically have to go to all the orchard/stable/pool. go to the closest one to whatever else you are doing and you can use R/L bumper to cycle through the 3.

• Options
    Sigurd's paralogue was one of the easiest ones. Kept most of my army out of Meteor range to clean up the regular enemies, then took the fort with Chloe and Hortensia.

Even after hearing about it that huge reinforcement formation was jarring to actually experience.

It'd been so long since I've used Sigurd that I forgot about Override and felt real stupid when I lined up a row of units for him to charge through, so I rewound to change my formation and then had no problem beating him.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    You shouldn't need to take care of Sommie or Polish Rings on every intermission to the Somniel, since the decay on those are fairly slow. Batch them up between every few battles and you can save a little bit of maintenance time.

There's also the general suggestion to not obsess over grinding for refine materials (metals and gold) and maintaining too large of an active roster and just get on with things, but what do those people know?? Though seriously, play the game in the way that you enjoy. For my part, I've been trying to limit myself to one skirmish or set of Relay Trials between story maps. Now that the Random Relay Maps are working, I've gotten a few piñatas of rewards, including some valuable stat boosters. But it takes so many materials to upgrade any Engage weapons that I'm going to try not to sink too much time into that potential grind avenue either. I'm trying to be reasonable about making roster cuts and being judicious about materials, but man is it easy to be tempted into going too far.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah towards the end I kind of started skipping some stuff just cause it was too time consuming.

Like I would still go to the arena and cook but I just started skipping the workouts unless I was doing a story missions.

And I only fished if I needed bond points which was rare.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Somnie gives Bond Fragments, so I haven't been skipping visits.

After doing strength training once when it was introduced, I skipped it, fishing, and Wyvern riding for the entire game.

https://youtu.be/W1ZKcZbi1rg

• Options
    It's also funny cause if they made it so you could sell fish like you could in 3H I would have actually did it more lol

• Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to take care of Sommie or Polish Rings on every intermission to the Somniel, since the decay on those are fairly slow. Batch them up between every few battles and you can save a little bit of maintenance time.

There's also the general suggestion to not obsess over grinding for refine materials (metals and gold) and maintaining too large of an active roster and just get on with things, but what do those people know?? Though seriously, play the game in the way that you enjoy. For my part, I've been trying to limit myself to one skirmish or set of Relay Trials between story maps. Now that the Random Relay Maps are working, I've gotten a few piñatas of rewards, including some valuable stat boosters. But it takes so many materials to upgrade any Engage weapons that I'm going to try not to sink too much time into that potential grind avenue either. I'm trying to be reasonable about making roster cuts and being judicious about materials, but man is it easy to be tempted into going too far.

I'm definitely playing Fire Emblem "wrong" in trying to obtain everything and configure every character how I like. I'm sure I could push forward to the end of the game, but that'd be no fun, especially with no New Game+.

• Options
    every time i watch a youtube video about some thing i didn't know in fire emblem engage, i get the impression that i'm playing the game wrong. i have to then tell myself that if i want to have fun, i can play however i want. i don't need to drop the dragon veins and have an unkillable machine. If i want to create 10,000 bond rings i'll do it, dammit!

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Pailryder wrote: »
    every time i watch a youtube video about some thing i didn't know in fire emblem engage, i get the impression that i'm playing the game wrong. i have to then tell myself that if i want to have fun, i can play however i want. i don't need to drop the dragon veins and have an unkillable machine. If i want to create 10,000 bond rings i'll do it, dammit!

Fire Emblem has always had optimum builds for people who want to min/max everything.

Luckily enough you can ignore all that 90% of the time and just use who you like.

Hell I remember in Awakening optimum play was just having an S ranked super duo and linking them so they blocked every attack. That was basically how people beat maddening but where is the fun in that?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I hate when Alear wins a battle in the arena and is like 'Somehow I won'
    Why are you the main character? Have some damn confidence in your abilities

• Options
    Chapter 18

Ah yes, The Boat Chapter.

A lot easier than examples from previous games, I thought. Normally the bridges are narrow chokepoints and you're encouraged to to use fliers to get around them, but here the bridges are so wide you hardly need to. Probably wanted a breather after how intense 17 was.

• Options
    Admittedly Chapter 18 is where I went off to do the new DLC paralogues and was then strong enough to clear the ring paralogues, but it was absurdly easy even in a game that's mostly not that tough. You honestly could have tossed it before Chapter 17 and it'd have still been easier with the higher level baddies.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Corrin's paralogue was also pretty simple. The first wave of enemies you can chokepoint at the bridge and meet coming out of the river piecemeal. Admittedly it would be pretty tricky to take out all of the second wave when they charge you alongside Corrin, but I just beat a few of them before finishing.

• Options
    My quest to build the ultimate Anna continues. She's maxed out all the stats she can as a High Priest, so in order to improve her DEF and BLD, I've made her into a General. I Engraved a Levin Sword with AVO, but she's still taking hits with her vastly reduced SPD. The hits aren't as high, being a General with max RES (from being a High Priest), but it adds up, especially with her reduced offense leading to more Chain Attacks against her.

She has to stand on a Castle or Protection tile for AVO and healing, rather than just a Forest tile for AVO, in order to survive a map by herself. She has Marth's Emblem for Unyielding to patch her HP up every turn. BLD is the hardest stat to increase, with most characters having only 0-10% chance to increase it per level, and only a few classes giving a 5 or 10% bump to that rate. I may run out of patience and make her into a High Priest again; General has a very low cap on LCK, so even maxed out and buffed she's not getting many 500G triggers, and ultimately that's the main point of doing this.

Most of my characters are hovering around level 17-18 of their advanced classes, and will need Second Seals soon. I am going to take a moment to compare where everyone's total Rating ends up. It definitely seems like some characters have been averaging 4-5 stat ups per level, while others max out at 2 per level no matter what. Poor Vander hasn't even cracked 100 Rating, and has to be babied around the battlefield at this point.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Do equipped Emblems affect stat growth rates as well? Are bonds simply how many of the Emblem's engage skills you can use/inherit? I'm wondering if there is any benefit to earning bonds with more Emblems, or leveling up with certain emblems over others before switching to their final ring.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Do equipped Emblems affect stat growth rates as well? Are bonds simply how many of the Emblem's engage skills you can use/inherit? I'm wondering if there is any benefit to earning bonds with more Emblems, or leveling up with certain emblems over others before switching to their final ring.

technically, only tiki (the starsphere skill increases growths by 15%). otherwise bonds only give access to inheriting skills, or weapon proficiences

edelgard gives lineage (1.2 xp bonus) and byleth gives one that gives 1.2 xp + to your surrounding units as well

• Options
    Talith wrote: »

Equipped Emblems give a static bonus to stats depending on your Bond level. They do not affect growth rates.

You want to raise a character's bond level with a given ring if you want to inherit a skill from that ring, or if you want that character to wear that ring in battle.

For example, take a theoretical Sniper Etie. You can level her bond with Roy to inherit STR+5, then switch her to Lyn's ring to inherit SPD+5. You then keep her equipped with Lyn, because you like her Sync Skill Speedtaker, as well as her Emblem Weapons, and want to get the benefits of extended engage and shorter engage meter.

As another example, General Louis. You level his bond with Corrin to inherit Pair up, and with Marth for Unyielding, then equip him with Roy. This makes him immune to Chain Attacks, survive otherwise lethal hits if his HP is high enough, and heal HP every turn if he starts with low enough HP. You don't really need to level up other rings if you're happy with your setup.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Man. How many chapters is this game? I've been kind of lukewarm on it so far and every other game that comes out pulls my attention away from this. I can't even articulate why I'm not feeling it.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    There are:
    27 chapters + 12 paralogues

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh fuuuuuuck. I'm so far behind.

• Options
    i'm in chapter 19 of FE:Engage and i know i have a couple more at least...

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I am also on chapter 19 and they sure are taking their time with the twist reveal they teased at the start of the game with regards to hair colour.
    Nope just keep on collecting those rings, this is a compelling story.

It's like if Three Houses was about scouting the nations for students and each chapter was you recruiting 1-3 students after some battle and then the time skip happens with two chapters remaining and it's just the reunion chapter and the last chapter of golden deer.

• Options
    Chapter 19

Didn't quite go how I expected, with the bosses coming forward instead of making me go through the whole map. Saved me the trouble of clearing out the miasma that was outside of fire cannon rang with Dragon Vein.

Mauvier's defensive stats more than kept pace, had to rewind a couple times and rejigger my positioning to finish him off safely.

The combination of the highest level Holdout ability and revival gems on Marni here was intensely annoying, glad I won't have to deal with it again.

• Options
    FE:Eng its hard for me to tell if i'm overleveled or not. even without weapon mismatches magic just continues to either one shot or come close to one shotting most of my characters, but alear and yunaka continue to be unstoppable killing machines /shrug