Options

Can't live with [Jobs], Can't live without [Jobs]

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Right, but if someone is robbing target or whatever to resell things, they still need the money more than the assholes who own target, so don't say a thing

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Right, but if someone is robbing target or whatever to resell things, they still need the money more than the assholes who own target, so don't say a thing

Except it becomes a target (heh heh heh) and then I don't want to shop there anymore.

There's a balance to be had here, as much as capital is bad.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bruh, I lived in the hood out here. Honorable people do not organize these the circles.

But the sad fact is I have seen superb organization, discipline, and Christian fellowship from some of our local meth fueled homeless camps. I was actually sad to see them leave as I knew their replacements would inevitably come and I would not have time to build a rapport with them.

Now I have to deal with whiney tenants who think we command the street and will demand stupid crash barricades on the street.

Fuckers.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I feel very strange when coworkers and boss keep telling me I'm "knocking it out of the park" lately while I feel the least productive I've ever been because of ADHD issues. I accept the kudos I'm just feeling a little like

xoydb6niviy0.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is going to jinx it, but the last print came out perfectly. The next piece is also laying down great as well!

Hopefully this means I got the printer working reliably.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I feel very strange when coworkers and boss keep telling me I'm "knocking it out of the park" lately while I feel the least productive I've ever been because of ADHD issues. I accept the kudos I'm just feeling a little like

xoydb6niviy0.jpg

I believe the enduring popularity of this particular comic is almost entirely due to being a distillation of Imposter Syndrome in graphic form.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    printer working reliably.

I spotted the oxymoron, what's the prize?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Your printer just broke!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

Your printer just broke!

PC LOAD LETTER?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Highlight of my region with $24/h average wage

Seattle metro: $40-$60 per hour
    Snohomish County: $33-$40 per hour
    South King County: $33-$40 per hour
    Pierce County: $25-$31 per hour

https://www.king5.com/article/money/economy/hourly-wage-living-in-seattle-washington/281-dfeb7a6f-cb23-4a99-90d6-be84664a209d

A significant number of my team are living in pierce, just so you know

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Due to insurance changes, my doctor had to switch my cholesterol medication to a different statin, which has left me more or less unable to sleep. No work for me tonight, I'm about to lose my mind.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I got to visit a dream job location yesterday through work, and somehow seem to have networked so astronomically well that one of the guys I met called today to ask a little more about me and if I had my next consultant placement lined up after this one ends in December

So uh, we'll see if that remains a possibility, because that would be really cool, but at minimum I now have extremely well placed contacts who can pass my resume around there, and that's pretty neat

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Friend's co-worker's mom died a couple days ago. Yesterday, friend's boss asked everyone on their team if they'd chip in $20 so the whole group could send the co-worker a little sympathy basket and a card. Friend venmo'd 20 bucks over, obviously.

3 hours later Friend's boss told him that he was being laid off, effective immediately.

Friend asked if he could get his 20 bucks back. Boss told him that's "an inappropriate question."

-~*^Corporate America!^*~-

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Friend's co-worker's mom died a couple days ago. Yesterday, friend's boss asked everyone on their team if they'd chip in $20 so the whole group could send the co-worker a little sympathy basket and a card. Friend venmo'd 20 bucks over, obviously.

3 hours later Friend's boss told him that he was being laid off, effective immediately.

Friend asked if he could get his 20 bucks back. Boss told him that's "an inappropriate question."

I'd be burning the motherfucker down.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My old workplace announced that they were going to be doing layoffs.

The same week they started a high pressure United Way campaign directed at the people who were leaving.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Absolutely nothing wrong with stealing food from a major corporation.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, assign the project to everyone but the person in the actual zip code of the project

Go team

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I'd be burning the motherfucker down.

I'm just ... so proud of the youths today,

*sniff*

I'm not crying, you're crying!

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Do we have any product marketers in the house?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I really wish that on demand training material didn't make me want to fall asleep.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Do we have any product marketers in the house?

Depends.

Did one of us lie to you or would you like to compliment a tagline or placement?

Cause if it's the first - then nope, not at all.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today was the yearly staff appreciation lunch. As usual it was held in the library because really that's the only space big enough for teachers to go eat somewhere together while students are here. This year, after I helped setup, I somehow got roped into helping serve. It was burritos from a really good local restaurant so everything went good and the teachers all seemed happy.

Very tired now though but I ate A LOT of burritos.

Tomorrow there is a blood drive in the library so I'm not bothering to put the furniture back as the rest of it will have to get moved out of the way in the morning.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    2 interviews down for this week, both are reaching out to my references. I can taste freedom, Get me ouuuuuuuuutttttttt of hereeeeeeeeee

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Today was the yearly staff appreciation lunch. As usual it was held in the library because really that's the only space big enough for teachers to go eat somewhere together while students are here. This year, after I helped setup, I somehow got roped into helping serve. It was burritos from a really good local restaurant so everything went good and the teachers all seemed happy.

Tomorrow there is a blood drive in the library so I'm not bothering to put the furniture back as the rest of it will have to get moved out of the way in the morning.

"A majority of this school's staff have overly high levels of queso in their blood...what the fuck?"

• Options
    edited March 2023
    DrZiplock wrote: »

"A majority of this school's staff have overly high levels of queso in their blood...what the fuck?"

"According to preliminary testing your blood type is cotija."

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Alright, stupid question: when writing a cover letter, should you really go digging around on LinkedIn or the company's website to find the hiring manager so you can address them by name? I've gotten that advice from multiple places over the years and it's always seemed bizarre, especially when you have no way of verifying that you've correctly identified the person who'll be reading your letter.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright, stupid question: when writing a cover letter, should you really go digging around on LinkedIn or the company's website to find the hiring manager so you can address them by name? I've gotten that advice from multiple places over the years and it's always seemed bizarre, especially when you have no way of verifying that you've correctly identified the person who'll be reading your letter.

That stuff is probably a bit overblown, especially if you're applying through a generic web portal. If it's easy to track down then go for it, probably won't hurt, but if you have to essentially stalk the org and/or take a wild stab in the dark then it has about a 50/50 chance at being neutral or even negative (people have moved on, the person handling the hiring isn't remotely connected to the person who will be supervising the job, etc etc). Sometimes the hiring manager will be deliberately obscured so applicants don't try to back-channel or drown them in email when there's a formal application process they're supposed to use.

So my go-to is sure, address them by name if it's obvious, but definitely don't worry about it if you can't figure it out in a pretty short time frame.

I will say that if you decide to email me personally about a job opening and you get my name wrong I'm probably gonna be a bit "who is this clown and why are they bothering me", but that's cause I assume if you've got my individual email address you've got access to google and/or can see my company profile page. And also my email is literally firstname.lastname.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, as a hiring manager in big corpo land I don't get to see cover letters. I just get resumes. If it's a large company, you're better off tracking down the hiring manager on LinkedIn and seeing if you can have an informational interview so I can tell the recruiter to skip you through. For my last position I had 650 applicants so breaking through like this matters a lot.
    Smaller companies it probably matters more.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ive been part of hiring at a small company for logistics and warehousing. I gave no shits about cover letters. Have a decent easy to read resume and sound like you give a shit and can be gotten along with at the interview.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Well

I appreciate this advice

And I'm trying not to be too grumpy about learning that most/all of the time I've spent in my life working to write really strong cover letters has been a total waste!
    schuss wrote: »
    I'll be honest, as a hiring manager in big corpo land I don't get to see cover letters. I just get resumes. If it's a large company, you're better off tracking down the hiring manager on LinkedIn and seeing if you can have an informational interview so I can tell the recruiter to skip you through. For my last position I had 650 applicants so breaking through like this matters a lot.
    Smaller companies it probably matters more.

How the heck does someone go about doing that? Not the tracking down part, I get that. But like. Do I just hit someone up and say "hey I just applied for such and such and I was hoping you might take the time to have an informal interview with me?" That seems like it really has the potential to come off as pestering but. Huh

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The worst thing that's going to happen from tracking down someone on linkedin is they will ignore your message. I cannot imagine specifically tanking someone's application because they messaged me.

It absolutely does feel awkward as hell and coming up with a legitimate sounding "reason" other than "give me job" to be sending a personal connection request is the hardest part.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Cover letters are dumb. HR departments that push for cover letters are dumb. Hiring consultants that push them as necessary are dumb. Hiring managers that need them to feel that warm-fuzzy are dumb.

That said,

You probably should still throw a cover letter in there on the chance that it makes your application pop with the right paper shufflers.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I think it just comes down to making sure the message itself is professional and to the point. You're still plenty likely to get ignored like MrMonroe said, but keep it nice and not creepy/needy and that's probably all you have to fear. But yeah, be very sure you're messaging the right person and/or using the right name.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I think it just comes down to making sure the message itself is professional and to the point. You're still plenty likely to get ignored like MrMonroe said, but keep it nice and not creepy/needy and that's probably all you have to fear. But yeah, be very sure you're messaging the right person and/or using the right name.

Now, suppose the company I'm applying for has a lot of hr/recruitment people on LinkedIn and I don't really have any way to tell which one would be the one overseeing the hiring for the position I'm applying for.

Is it still okay to, say, pick one, and throw in a note like "I apologize if you're the incorrect person to be contacting regarding this position, if you could direct me to the right person I'd appreciate it?"

I mean obviously "okay" is a bit of a moving target here and again probably the worst that could happen is I get ignored but this is just an entirely new concept to me so I'm trying to get a sense of the etiquette

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Another stupid question: if it's relevant, is it kosher to put hyperlinks in a resume?

Like okay, I'm trying to hype up my skills and qualifications as a writer. Would it be appropriate/useful/appreciated if I included a YouTube link to the president of the Association of Flight Attendants reading a speech I wrote at the annual United 93 memorial ceremony? Or is that a dumb idea and I should just list the bullet point that that's a thing I did.

Incidentally: I have a weird fuckin job history

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2023
    Another stupid question: if it's relevant, is it kosher to put hyperlinks in a resume?

Like okay, I'm trying to hype up my skills and qualifications as a writer. Would it be appropriate/useful/appreciated if I included a YouTube link to the president of the Association of Flight Attendants reading a speech I wrote at the annual United 93 memorial ceremony? Or is that a dumb idea and I should just list the bullet point that that's a thing I did.

Incidentally: I have a weird fuckin job history

It's totally fine to put links in a resume (with the caveat that it doesn't mean people will click on it). but go for it.

Also - cause I feel like this gets ironed out a lot by the weighted average of internet advice - resume formatting and cover letters and all of that is super dependent on your line of work and level of seniority, creative industries or positions will give you a lot more leeway to do interesting stuff. Just because something might not be the norm doesn't mean it's out of line given a particular position/company - if you can get advice from people with direct experience of the industry or even company you're applying in, that will likely be more representative.

tynic on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Now, suppose the company I'm applying for has a lot of hr/recruitment people on LinkedIn and I don't really have any way to tell which one would be the one overseeing the hiring for the position I'm applying for.

Is it still okay to, say, pick one, and throw in a note like "I apologize if you're the incorrect person to be contacting regarding this position, if you could direct me to the right person I'd appreciate it?"

I mean obviously "okay" is a bit of a moving target here and again probably the worst that could happen is I get ignored but this is just an entirely new concept to me so I'm trying to get a sense of the etiquette

Honestly there really is no good answer for something like this without knowing the industry/company really well. I'm trying to think how this might play out specifically at Bungie, and even within our individual HR/recruiting/hiring pool I can't imagine a consistently good way to approach this - other than that for us this still wouldn't be like, a reason to disqualify you. But the range of reactions could be really varied.

The best I'd say is that, if you were going to do this, I would just try and show that you're reaching out for this specific position, you're excited and enthusiastic about this opportunity, and you're getting in touch because this type of role aligns so well with your desired type of role/work that you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't do everything you could to achieve it (obviously in less obvious/more better words, that's just the sentiment I'd go for). Basically you don't want it to feel like you might be shotgunning this out to whoever might be willing to listen, and that this is important to you.

(I think it's fine to acknowledge that they might not be the right person to reach out to, but I prooobably wouldn't include the part about asking them to direct you to someone else. Most people probably wouldn't take it the wrong way, but it might come off a little...not lazy, I can't think of a better word, but hopefully you get what I mean. But that's also just my personal opinion, could be totally fine!)

And of course, all that being said, don't be at all surprised if nobody responds and definitely don't message them again to "follow up" or whatever if you don't hear back.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    In my current overall org, a thing that is common is "coffee chats", where you ask if someone might be available to talk for a bit about their role and roles in their organization. Kind of an informal getting-to-know-you talk, and potentially similar to the concept of an informational interview though I have never heard of those before. I never heard much of coffee chats in private industry, though, so the odds of this working there might not be as high, but it could work if you land the right extrovert and have an interesting sounding LinkedIn. At minimum you might learn more about the company and broaden your network; worst case they'll just ignore your message, but I think HR types are more likely to take you up.

I definitely include hyperlinks to my portfolios in both cover letters and resume and it has always proved to be a valuable idea, because my weird personal projects often end up the subject of a third of the interview (my Magic Mirror was probably a better project than most of my professional ones, to be honest, in that a *lot* of people wanted to know more about it! Surprisingly few people ask about, like, the fuckin' car I did.). It can be a really great way to differentiate yourself to bring up some of these fun things if it's possible to do so coherently and without diverting too far from your core resume content/sales pitch for yourself

I would only personally address someone in the cover letter if I knew the hiring manager's name from the posting or from a referral, not from conducting an investigation. You're more likely to get bonus points in that intended manner by proving you know the website/mandate/company profile/company projects, either by expressing why you're interested in them or by pitching yourself for specific roles or projects the job would involve

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Speed I need you to know the reason you feel like these questions are dumb is because job hunting is dumb and hard. The questions aren't stupid - the pomp and circumstance is

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Cover letters can also be a good spot to drop in keywords from the job description so they can get picked up by the HR scanning software if you don't want to re-word your resume too much.

I did use LinkedIn to reach out to someone once to find out more about the company. I forget their then-title, but it was someone who sounded like they could give me a little more insight on how they operated prior to me actually applying for anything.
    About two days after I began talking with them, they were promoted to Regional VP, so that was lucky, I guess. Unfortunately, about a week after that, things began shutting down for Covid, so nothing ever came of it.

chromdom on
This discussion has been closed.