As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] ... please move on to new thread ...

1939495969799»

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    If you aren't seeing anyone it is probably because you are not in wt3+. Only a week out ish still. Most everyone is grinding end game.

Lol are we saying WT1 is already "over" after a week of the game being out?

I have a feeling there are, at the absolute bare minimum, still hundreds of thousands of people in WT1.

I'm not complaining -- I don't like seeing tons of randos in my ARPG -- but I don't think I saw 2-3 people because there were only 2-3 other people in the entirety of WT1 while I was on. Something something matchmaking, or something something servers seems more likely.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Out of curiosity, are you playing on PC or console? Just anecdotal here - but I see way more randos when I'm playing on PC versus when I'm playing on PS5. Which is odd since the game has full crossplay. But that has been my experience so far.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    results of frenzy only:

zecdwfxsiy2e.png

it turns out that being unable to hit more than one enemy at the same time has its downsides but i have lodged a request at demon hq for them to form an orderly queue to get punched next time

I seek your wisdom surrealitycheck

I'm trying to make a Rogue spec focusing strongly on traps but so far it's been a bit awkward. I'm good at clearing packs as long as they're not too spread out, reasonable at killing elites and outright bad against bosses.

I believe you mentioned earlier that it's possible to get Death Trap to almost zero cooldown. What's the secret to that?

Currently I'm running Twisting Blades, Caltrops, Dash, Poison Trap, Shadow Imbuement and Death Trap. I've been trying to get as many legendary aspects that create stun grenades as possible, but their AOE and damage are so lackluster that I'm not sure it's worth it. Shadow Imbuement is mostly there to trigger explosions through Icy Alchemist's Aspect and Toxic Alchemist's Aspect.

basically you have to make sure you're triggering the final tier nade cd feat as much as possible - my rogue hasnt gone any further than 40 so i havent checked the higher level interactions - and crudely you're trying to get as much value out of poison trap caltrops reset w/ death trap poison trap caltrops etc etc

you do what %cdr because the cdr you get is flat (so you need fewer hits on average to get death trap back up) and there's a few other things you can do but yeah that's pretty much it. you just have to make sure you're deliberately hitting big packs to max out your chance to get the procs! in practice you will consistently be working with a sub 30 cd simply from its own "kill one thing get 10s off" that you want to consistently proc if at all possible ie make sure at least one weak goober is in the radius even on single target

for single target i was also doing poison infusion w/ pen shot (cos i had the legendary giving splinters which was nice for aoe triggers) to add some extra juice and using prep resets to get 4 shots off on single targets. in the long run the only obvious stuff is getting the caltrop nades dungeon aspect, the %vuln vs trapped targets aspect, oh yeah and "your grenade skills count as trap skills" (im sure you can see the meme for that one...)

at the end i was running cold caltrops w/ the nades vs chilled aspect and enjoying lots of FROOZE for extra damage but yeah that's pretty much it, i haven't seen how it would develop because didn't take it any further

I can't figure out the point of the "grenade skills are trap skills" aspect. The only grenade skill I can find is Smoke Grenade and I can't seem to fit it into my build. I had high hopes for the Aspect of Synergy, but those were dashed when I realized that Death Trap isn't a subterfuge skill so it currently only reduces the cooldown of my poison trap.

the smoke nade daze counts as trap, gets 3s off its cd for every hit vs vuln (and u make sure they vuln) and is a 100% consistent source of daze. because it now counts as a trap, when you attack targets dazed by your smoke nade you also get 20% of its cd (and all your traps) off if you trigger the lucky hit - along with everything else (so even when you haven't got people in your other skills you're gucci). this feeds caltrops. theres a utility mod that drops one every time you dash- so you dont even need to run it on bar if you dont want to - and you can get -0.5 off dash cd every time you daze an enemy on tree, along with enemies are knocked down when you crit them while they are dazed. caltrops is an agility skill, so you can run the poison traps can be chain dropped during stealth and dont break stealth + damaging a dazed enemy w/ agility skill gives you 4s stealth to have base 5s cd poison traps if you only drop one + the benefits of constant stealth. keeping them dazed with constant smoke nades means you get 12% free crit from proccing the knockdown passive. theres another mod thats like nades every time you break stealth so being able to chain the stealth is very funny

i think originally i was just tickled by the 20% off its cd from that proc and it now counting as a trap and feeding all my other traps on top of it also being able to shoot grenades and now stunning people and knocking them down and also proccing the freeze from throwing them at chilled people in my cold caltrops but god knows at this point there was some spaghetti i was planning but i cant sleep so this is all just freestyle

Hmm... that seems worth a shot at least! Thanks a lot for the tips.

https://medal.tv/games/diablo-4/clips/1dTaeyxVgSYdUb/d13370JJsnZg?invite=cr-MSxDUGwsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA

went back to the character - not finalised but u can kinda see what a no basic attack setup looks like there without any special sauce or uniques

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Well, number of people is the wrong variable to solve for.

It's person*hours.

There are undoubtedly plenty of people that haven't progressed to WT3 yet. I'm one of them.

But they're not all online all the time. I get to play for a few hours a week, maybe.

The ones who are playing two or three times as much (and more) have certainly all progressed beyond the first two world tiers.

And then on top of that, the first two world tiers split the people who haven't progressed yet.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I hadn't even thought about the wt1/2 split. I can tell you Act 1 on WT2 is a ghost town.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I saw quite a few people when I was leveling my barb on wt1

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Fiatil wrote: »
    If you aren't seeing anyone it is probably because you are not in wt3+. Only a week out ish still. Most everyone is grinding end game.

I have a feeling there are, at the absolute bare minimum, still hundreds of thousands of people in WT1.

I'm not complaining -- I don't like seeing tons of randos in my ARPG -- but I don't think I saw 2-3 people because there were only 2-3 other people in the entirety of WT1 while I was on. Something something matchmaking, or something something servers seems more likely.

No. I said most of the people are probably in wt3+. Pretty clearly too. Made an alt to see exactly what was going to transfer just a few ago and saw 10+ in town and many running around peaks. /Shrug

Edit: There is addition story layering too I would say on second thought. If you havent beat the game your wt1 is going to be slightly diff than my lvl 1 alt even cause they will have the whisper layers.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I didn't see a lot of people in WT1 levelling up, presumably because a lot of the story quests are instanced

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ok @Vic i forgot this build is legit fun after coming back to it i removed the boring basic skill and now its optimal idiocy

https://medal.tv/games/diablo-4/clips/1dTHejHfmcXecB/d13373gv2Gnr?invite=cr-MSxBYXIsMTU3ODYzOTYwLA

u just run around dropping stuff doing backflips praying for procs going invisible and sometimes having to (ugh) fire ur gun...

im probs going to grab the smoke nade dash mod if i can so i can run dash instead of smoke on the bar, and then i can proc the stealth by just dashing to both daze and trigger and that means even more meme positioning

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    All Lilith's and all renown unlocks done. Got to 64 in the process. Learned some things about the end game:
    • A huge amount of your power is in the Paragon board. Like, a huge amount. Legendary and Rare nodes tend to be pretty clear play style or QoL leaps forward.
    • Most items are garbage. I get maybe 1 in 50 that I even have to glance at for more than a second before it's tossed.
    • Addendum to the above, I think there are either too many affixes, or not enough affix rules that stop completely stupid and useless items from rolling. D3 felt a lot more tuned in this way, but I freely admit D3 is a mature game with a (tiny) live team that really understood that engine and end game economy.
    • Helltide's are probably most useful for the upgrade mats. Definitely find the mystery chest. It seems to be the best bang for shard. Otherwise getting one rando legendary hasn't felt real exciting so far at the normal reward tier.
    • Outside of occasionally needing a Sigil, I can't see why you'd spend much time grinding Tree of Whispers. Once you have a back catalog of NM dungeons, just run those on loop. Unless I am missing something here. NM dungeons drop Sigil's so it becomes easy to just loop on them. I guess this isn't terribly different than D3 Adventure Mode/Rift dynamics.
    • Stuff starts to get expensive in the 60's and 700+ iLvl. I definitely alternate selling and junking loot hauls now. I always junk legendaries for the mats though, as they drop legendary specific upgrade mats. Extrapolating to the 80s+ I expect upgrades/tuning to start costing millions of gold.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Stuck my head in capstone for WT4 and yeah need to grind out more paragon. But looks like doing some grinding in there if you are just on edge will be worth it. Flawless can drop in there.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I want to faceroll the story and don't really care what class I do it with so long as I'm not doing anything wolf-related

I have limited mental energy after work

Any suggestions for what sort of build to uh... build?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think this game has some hidden pay to win features
    using the trample skill on a wide screen by clicking near the edges causes my bear druid to cross 1.5 dungeon rooms its great AND hilarious
    maybe its the same for other blink/traversal skills?

I'm honestly surprised they didn't go the D2R route with limiting ultrawides. Its just kind of weird game design when you can see so much farther but only on one axis. Weirder still when you can exploit targeting or AI that way.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I want to faceroll the story and don't really care what class I do it with so long as I'm not doing anything wolf-related

chain lightning sorcerer on wt1

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Can't speak for other classes but Sorcerer has multiple builds that roll ample face through the campaign with minimal gear/aspect setup needs and cooldown management

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

chain lightning sorcerer on wt1

wt2 is so easy tho...

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Bear druid is tank and spank everything on wt1. I don't even use potions on wt3.

• Options
    Bear druid is tank and spank everything on wt1. I don't even use potions on wt3.

Bears are a lil too close to wolves tho, imo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I have been playing this game pretty much every day since early access - definitely at LEAST one dungeon a day (clearly more) - and I have NEVER seen the Butcher. Bastard.

. . .also, I feel like reviewers really undersold the Paragon Boards as "oh, pick up some useless +5 Stat here and there"; like, it has drastically changed how I play the game and what build I go for. On a Frozen-Bow build (Forceful Arrow with knockback, Rapidfire and Penetrating Shot - single target and AoE with the 50% damage aspect on weapon, Caltrops with Ice, Frost Imbuement and alternate between Rain of Arrows - there's a necklace that puts EVERYTHING on the arrows that is basically a one key delete button once the darkness starts exploding - and trying to make this "Spreading Frost" build work with Smoke Grenade counting as a trap, the aspect that spreads CC to other enemies and another that increases duration of CC by nearly half so that you're just constantly spreading cancerous frost and or 9 second daze to everything - if you're not stunning them with the Exposure passive) my entire goal has been to work my way through the second board Cunning Strategem on the way to either Cheap Shot or Deadly Ambushed and everything I'm engaging in is built around perfecting my build - either through the loot grind to get the aspects and gear I need, or through the Paragon system, by broadly enhancing my base power level. They both are just playing so well off each other I'm really just stunned at how dismissive some folks were.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

fashion build

te4wfkxcyaq0.png

so many fashions per second

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Fiatil wrote: »

No. I said most of the people are probably in wt3+. Pretty clearly too. Made an alt to see exactly what was going to transfer just a few ago and saw 10+ in town and many running around peaks. /Shrug

Edit: There is addition story layering too I would say on second thought. If you havent beat the game your wt1 is going to be slightly diff than my lvl 1 alt even cause they will have the whisper layers.

Oh yeah that was basically my point. Just some weird RNG in my matchmaking or something -- you seeing 10 or 10000 people in no way contradicts or refutes me seeing barely any people running around. It shows that we're having quite different experiences.

Something something matchmaking or something something servers is causing a big difference in what we've seen so far. I doubt it persists over time, just something that struck me as funny when so many people have asked for an "off switch" to seeing other people. I got one by accident, and it's been cool! I was commenting specifically on my experiences wandering the overworld map, as I knew story stuff was instanced.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    If we are going to be pedantic instance layers aren't "matchmaking". Technically.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    i mean obviously cos i been gamin for years in instances galore and i aint never met my match ayyy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i mean obviously cos i been gamin for years in instances galore and i aint never met my match ayyy

That is true. Ill just drop it cause there are many reasons you do not see anyone. I was just mentioning the obvious and main reasons.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    If we are going to be pedantic instance layers aren't "matchmaking". Technically.

I guess I'm not sure where the pedantic thing comes from -- just trying to share my experiences.

I used the term "matchmaking" because there are so many people in every permutation of the game that we're not seeing every player at the same state in the game, right? So there are multiple instances of each "world state" I guess you would call it (because the game isn't cramming 10,000 people into the same instance where you can see 9,999 other players even if they're at the same state of the game), and for whatever reason my instance of the current world state I've been in hasn't had a lot of players in it, despite there being a large pool of several thousand players to pull from and honestly probably tens of thousands and more due to how popular this game is.

Call it whatever you want, and I can change terminology if something works better.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.