As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Decline of Western [Twitter]ization

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited April 2023 in Social Entropy++
When Twitter finally dies I'll have to go back to getting my memes from graffiti at the bus stop near my job. Those guys tend to keep things up to date, but the smell of paint fumes is never going to sit well with me.

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

King Ghidorah...
    Tanugidora? King Tanura?

I christen thee with raccoon dogs, twitter thread

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    It was a fucking hit piece.

Some kid in Australia jumped off a stone wall shouting 'Im Michaelangelo!' and broke his leg. The entire program was edited footage of these violent American kids jump kicking and mashing turtles with weapons into foot soldiers or bebop and rocksteady and shouting. Look at the sad state of violent children's programming coming out of America and how it influences our poor innocent Aussie youth!

Anectdotally Ninja Turtles were banned from two of my primary schools because kids were climbing on top of classrooms and flipping off them while jumping down.

If this happened around ‘91 it might be a kid called Sean Roche’s fault. He did break his leg doing it but he was a Donatello fan.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    That kid was not a villain... the media apparatus that exploited his ill fated ninja jump was and is ever my enemy.

I scraped the back of my calves jumping off a wood deck under construction acting like Captain America, kids are stupid and hurt themselves.

Turning my love for TMNT against the very franchise I adore wreaked me. The kid is innocent, the media and my elementary school teachers can hang for their crimes.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah the idea that banning any media will stop kids from finding new and exciting ways to hurt themselves just shows a profound lack of understanding of the human mind

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    how many kids, me included, narrowly avoided serious injury trying to Mary Poppins down a staircase?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    how many kids, me included, narrowly avoided serious injury trying to Mary Poppins down a staircase?

Skill issue

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Ah, a new Twitter thread

Like an untouched field of freshly fallen snow

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Waiting for someone to come and piss in it

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I didn't emulate anything as nerdy as TMNT or Mary Poppins as a kid

I was cool

I emulated American Gladiators

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

Skill issue

she makes it look so easy!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    My move loves to tell the story of how of how I apparently karate chopped a random stranger at the mall because "he looked like Shredder"

So basically, suck it Australia, I'm the reason your teachers tried to ban Ninja Turtles

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Weren't legacy verified accounts supposed to lose their blue checkmark today

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    never underestimate Elon's inability to know how to do something

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    technically speaking, he said that starting april 1st they would "begin winding down" the program

strictly speaking that process could take quite some time and there was no actual promised "SUDDENLY EVERYTHING DISAPPEARS"

but also, as i said at the time, if you take twitter at their word for any "we will begin-" post, you're a mark

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Weren't legacy verified accounts supposed to lose their blue checkmark today

I don't know the truth of it, but a week or two back there were a bunch of people saying they paid for 1 month to test the blue system when it came out, then stopped subscribing, and still have their blue checkmarks.

So I imagine it's just another broken part of twitter

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

In case you were wondering why legacy blue checks didn't actually disappear when they were supposed to.

lol, lmao

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah they're never going away

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I swear I used to be able to enter slow motion by jumping down the stairs.

I never broke anything but I stopped doing it the first time my mom yelled at me.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Honestly that's been my favorite part of this whole saga. His internet-addled brain is totally broken and incapable of honestly and coherently explaining what he wants to Twitter's (remaining) staff. Really if he just came out and said to them "I want the public to love me like women and my father never have", they might be able to actually create some sort of internet simulacrum to plug him into and let him experience a rush of endorphins the likes of which he's never previously.

Or otherwise just dope him up with tonnes of opium and mount a VR headset on his noggin until his brain melts while he chokes on his own vomit.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I swear I used to be able to enter slow motion by jumping down the stairs.

I never broke anything but I stopped doing it the first time my mom yelled at me.

When I was ~3 my family did a work exchange thing with a family in Germany, and while we were there me and my ~5 year old sister learned this cool new game called "jumping off the top bunk bed"

When we can back home we shared this cool new game with some of our best friends a kid my age and his younger brother.

On the first attempt by the younger brother, he hit his head on this minikeg that I used as a piggy bank for pennies that was basically this

0PPl5YV_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Blood everywhere, my older sister trying to get him to calm down so we didn't get in trouble, etc.

It wasn't a life threatening thing, thankfully. Fully recover for him! But it felt real real bad, no doubt

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Honestly that's been my favorite part of this whole saga. His internet-addled brain is totally broken and incapable of honestly and coherently explaining what he wants to Twitter's (remaining) staff. Really if he just came out and said to them "I want the public to love me like women and my father never have", they might be able to actually create some sort of internet simulacrum to plug him into and let him experience a rush of endorphins the likes of which he's never previously.

Or otherwise just dope him up with tonnes of opium and mount a VR headset on his noggin until his brain melts while he chokes on his own vomit.

I've said it since he started on this mess - instead of spending $44b on Twitter he could have spent like... under $1 million on heroin and ended up a lot happier.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Is there any more unifying of an "older sibling" experience than doing something stupid with your little brother/sister that causes semi-serious injury as you panic and assure them that everything's totally cool, you're okay, now hold still while I clean up the blood, mom doesn't need to know, just hold this towel over it, please stop crying.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2023
    as the older sibling I was mostly the one getting injured

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Is there any more unifying of an "older sibling" experience than doing something stupid with your little brother/sister that causes semi-serious injury as you panic and assure them that everything's totally cool, you're okay, now hold still while I clean up the blood, mom doesn't need to know, just hold this towel over it, please stop crying.

That was a lot of what my younger and youngest brothers got up to. I was the boring one who just stayed in his room and read.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    k87j2irz34o01.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I feel like I got banged up more.

I had at least a couple cases where I managed to cut myself without noticing and only found out when my mom pointed out the blood trail (not that much blood, but like, drops here and there).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I've described it here before, but my Dad had a game as a kid where this lady named Mary had gotten a bow and arrow set for her birthday and so the neighbourhood kids would play "Robin Hood"

Where someone would shoot an arrow into the air and you would try not to get hit by it on the way down

This game ended when Mary got an arrow through her foot

The 50s and 60s were a different time

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Honestly, that sounds like the 80s in Texas.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that happened in an episode of the Sopranos, except the kid got it worse than in the foot

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    that happened in an episode of the Sopranos, except the kid got it worse than in the foot

That just means you get to shoot the next round.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've described it here before, but my Dad had a game as a kid where this lady named Mary had gotten a bow and arrow set for her birthday and so the neighbourhood kids would play "Robin Hood"

Where someone would shoot an arrow into the air and you would try not to get hit by it on the way down

This game ended when Mary got an arrow through her foot

The 50s and 60s were a different time

Ah, yes, bow assisted lawn darts

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Honestly, that sounds like the 80s in Texas.

Growing up my friend and her four brothers and her younger sister would go out in the woods and shoot crayons at each other with crossbows. Between shit like that and the "taking all the black powder out of fireworks and combining it into big bombs and throwing them at each other" I'm surprised any of us survived

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    when I was a kid I spent a lot of time at my friend's farm and one of the recurring games was "see how close you can stand before the feed pellets fired from the air rifle start breaking skin"

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My cousins took care of all of the "do dipshit things and injure yourselves" stuff in my childhood, so I got to witness that shit whenever they visited or we visited them but luckily did not have to live with it day-to-day

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    We had a barracks game called stretch where you'd toss a knife to the side of someone's foot, if it stuck in the grass that person had to move their foot to that spot and then take their turn. Alternate tosses until someone couldn't stretch their legs far enough.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    We had murder ball, a “game” in which one unlucky pariticipant would stand against a wall and attempt to dodge as many thrown objects as possible, usually fairly unsuccessfully. This game would get interrupted inevitably by a parent yelling at us not to stop playing, but to use something other than the garage door as the backdrop because it was getting dinged.

… it’s a wonder I made it to my current age really.

• Options
    Murderball was great-slash-terrible. We usually played with golf balls. We had a strict honor code, though. If you hit the target in the head, they got one free throw at you that you weren't allowed to dodge.

And if you hit the target in the balls, that's hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.