Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread Leaps Into Rebirth 2/29! (Game out; Tag Spoilers!)

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited March 12 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56cRDseTGQ

FF7 is born again. Coming February 29th, 2024.

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987.

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made fifteen sixteen main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Endwalker is great?
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.
I love Final Fantasy XVI because it's Devil May Cry.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I I love Mystic Quest because HP should be measured with tally marks. Also because the music slaps. - Fry
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Type-0 because it was eventually localized
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!
I love Final Fantasy VII Remake because it's a fresh awesome take on an old favorite.
I love Strangers of Paradise because gritty antiheroes are all the rage, right?
I love Final Fantasy VII Rebirth because we're on the map, and off it, at the same time.

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

FF16 Trailer up!

https://youtu.be/rLgTiqk-EC4

Final Fantasy 16! The dark age with no new Final Fantasies on the horizon has ended. Look now to the new dawn!

Official site: https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

The Pixel Remaster series!

https://youtu.be/wOkScEsyOYQ

It's not just FF6, but everything from 1-6, inclusive.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin ft. Garland

https://youtu.be/N0WvpMw0Sko

THE FUTURE

The future is Final Fantasy 7 remake part 2, aka Rebirth! Comes out 2/29/24. The Playstation Store is currently offering a Twin Pack with part 1 and the yuffie DLC included for free with pre-order of part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUaWUyaeXhs

Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper. RIP

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy. RIP

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. RIP

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    No PC announcement for 16 right?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nope. Nothing so far.

I'm just going to end up missing it if so.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Just platinum'd Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster. Was alright. The rearranged music is fantastic and it looked great for what it is. Took maybe 11 hours or so? Was definitely as sparse as I remembered it being. Game consisted of like 90% random encounters. Was generally able to figure out where to go most of the time, which I think is a credit to its design. I feel like a lot of games from that era can leave you stumped on where you need to go. Only exception was getting the airship, which I completely missed the dialog for and had to look up online. Bringing the float crystal to the middle of an out of the way unmarked desert was extremely unintuitive.

Probably gonna run through FF2 next. That's the only one of the mainline FF games (other than 11 which I don't count) that I haven't finished because it just kinda seemed like a hassle. Also have FF12 queued up to replay at some point as well, probably after I've done a couple more of the pixel remasters. Been wanting to check out Stranger of Paradise, too, but it hasn't hit $20 on PSN yet, which was my goal price point. Might jump at $25 if it's that low next time it's on sale.

Also started Dragon Quest 11 but I'm not really vibing with it so far, might drop it. Never did a Dragon Quest game before and I'm not really sure I like how it feels. Silent protagonist in an RPG these days feels really dated, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Poor Record Keeper in the OP.

Japan's version just added Ultros as a playable.

Global's shut down a year ago.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    FF16 is meant to be played on the PS5, maaannnn...

You gotta get you one of those annoying shaped PS5s.

• Options
    Just platinum'd Final Fantasy 1 pixel remaster. Was alright. The rearranged music is fantastic and it looked great for what it is. Took maybe 11 hours or so? Was definitely as sparse as I remembered it being. Game consisted of like 90% random encounters. Was generally able to figure out where to go most of the time, which I think is a credit to its design. I feel like a lot of games from that era can leave you stumped on where you need to go. Only exception was getting the airship, which I completely missed the dialog for and had to look up online. Bringing the float crystal to the middle of an out of the way unmarked desert was extremely unintuitive.

Probably gonna run through FF2 next. That's the only one of the mainline FF games (other than 11 which I don't count) that I haven't finished because it just kinda seemed like a hassle. Also have FF12 queued up to replay at some point as well, probably after I've done a couple more of the pixel remasters. Been wanting to check out Stranger of Paradise, too, but it hasn't hit $20 on PSN yet, which was my goal price point. Might jump at $25 if it's that low next time it's on sale.

Also started Dragon Quest 11 but I'm not really vibing with it so far, might drop it. Never did a Dragon Quest game before and I'm not really sure I like how it feels. Silent protagonist in an RPG these days feels really dated, too.

Oh, they call it a float crystal now? I thought it was a load stone.

I need to find my PS4 copy of Dragon Quest 11. I am still kind of annoyed that they double dipped and made that definitive edition.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Oh, they call it a float crystal now? I thought it was a load stone.

I need to find my PS4 copy of Dragon Quest 11. I am still kind of annoyed that they double dipped and made that definitive edition.

It's probably still load stone, just couldn't remember what it was called.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Nope. Nothing so far.

Nope. Nothing so far.

If FF7R came to PC, 16 will as well. The PS5 is essentially a PC anyway, this is all just about pushing console sales.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Poor Record Keeper in the OP.

Japan's version just added Ultros as a playable.

Global's shut down a year ago.

Probably for the best it died. That whole class of games has some problematic issues.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nope. Nothing so far.

Nope. Nothing so far.

If FF7R came to PC, 16 will as well. The PS5 is essentially a PC anyway, this is all just about pushing console sales.

Yea it will come. But they certainly aren't going to make any announcement on that until after the ps5 launch of it.

• Options
    Making my way through FF2. Can definitely see why it's the red-headed step child of the series. The interactivity system is kind of a neat step forward for storytelling but it doesn't really feel like it gets used much or in any particularly interesting way. There are now named protagonists but they might as well just be silent nobodies from FF1 for how much they actually talk. No personality to any of them other than the fact that Guy talks like a caveman for some reason. The world map feels like a definite step back from the first game, much less intuitive where you need to go next. Other than a couple places being locked away because they need vehicles to get, most stuff is gated with harder enemies, meaning you need to stumble into the area, see how tough they are (generally by them one-hitting your entire party and having to reload a save), and then go elsewhere. There's also a ton more missables than in FF1, which I guess is partly due to the increase in complexity of the game, but still kind of annoying. Not super into the story or the skill system either. Like, it's kind of neat that you can have everyone do everything, but the way leveling stuff up works with hidden enemy levels is super opaque and unintuitive. And the story so far feels pretty close to non-existent. Like, stuff happens, but other than "evil empire is bad and going around killing everyone so use ancient magic to go fuck em up," there's not really anything there. And even that is pretty barebones, there's no face to the empire and honestly you barely interact with them so far (bout to do Cyclone). Idk, definitely feel like I was right to skip it back in the day, nice to be getting it done just for completionist sake, but it doesn't really feel like I'm getting much out of it. The music is pretty good at least.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    If it's exactly like FF7R, Sony will have negotiated for a loooong 20 month exclusivity, and then Epic will have negotiated another 6 months of exclusivity on their storefront on PC.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Much as its fun to slag Square, FFXVI isn't Unreal engine, without those Unreal fees being erased, I doubt the deal is sweet enough. Epic is also supposedly winding down buying timed exclusives anyway, at least the expensive ones. Finally the stated exclusivity period is 6 months rather than 1 year (although, DLC could always upgrade that..)

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I don't particularly give a crap which storefront I buy my PC games in, so Epic exclusive or whatever suits me fine, the problem is that it's probably going to be two years before it hits PC at all.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Any tips for finally playing FF12, I’m not looking to minmax or do all the content, just a playthrough of the story, so mainly anything to avoid doing

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Scalping isn't anything new to gaming, but holy shit after selling out day one, physical copies of the pixel remasters are hundreds of dollars

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Finished off FF2. Probably my least favorite mainline FF game after finishing it. I think the weapon/spell leveling system was overall more bad than good. Also really didn't like the rotating 4th party member slot. Mostly just meant that I had 3 party members I could invest in and then some rando in the party who was there long enough that I should probably be pumping them up a bit but not long enough to make it really feel worthwhile.

FF3 seems like a massive step up so far. Don't really have any overarching objective so far, mostly just adventuring from place to place (just got the boat from the vikings). That said, this game already has sooooo much more charm than the previous games. Also feels like there's a much bigger emphasis on hidden passages/secrets than before. There was a decent amount in FF2 but it already feels way more in your face just a couple hours into 3.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    FF1 established the aesthetics of the series, FF2 was the first that tried having real characters and a more involved script and cutscenes, FF3 is basically the first iteration of FF that has the classic job changing system, FF4 and 5 and 6 are refining on that framework established by the first 3, and then you get the CD era games where they translate 6's structure onto 3D battle scenes and prerendered background field scenes.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I would like 2 more if the gameplay mechanics weren’t awful and if they leaned into how dumb the plot gets with a bit of self awareness instead of playing it straight.

But as it is it’s easily the worst one in every regard.

• Options
    Yeah. FF5 is like a refined version of the job system of FF3. Then, the MMOs take that further.

• Options
    Also, they mess around with jobs in FFX-2 and Lightning Returns. I forgot about those.

• Options
    The lineage of ideas to the mmos is clear but at the same time the needs of design for an MMO are so different i think it's kinda hard to compare the actual mechanics of job systems between the classic ffs and the mmo spinoffs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Plus, you know, Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Welp, think I fucked up my FF3 run somehow. I'm almost certain it's the hidden item you get from the guy in Hien Castle, but I know I talked to him and should've got the item. My only thought is that it might not have counted because I already had a copy of mini/toad/whatever they give. Otherwise, looking at the checklist available on the map, it shows me as having every item on there I can see. Extremely annoyed because otherwise I should have a 100% run and a platinum trophy. And I think that's one where you have to do an entire replay of the game, you can't just start a new game and play up to that point. Just super frustrated about it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Welp, think I fucked up my FF3 run somehow. I'm almost certain it's the hidden item you get from the guy in Hien Castle, but I know I talked to him and should've got the item. My only thought is that it might not have counted because I already had a copy of mini/toad/whatever they give. Otherwise, looking at the checklist available on the map, it shows me as having every item on there I can see. Extremely annoyed because otherwise I should have a 100% run and a platinum trophy. And I think that's one where you have to do an entire replay of the game, you can't just start a new game and play up to that point. Just super frustrated about it.

Well, it's also an NES RPG from 1990. It's almost a given it'll be chock full of the ol' "Where the hell do I go next?". That said, I don't think there's any way to lock your game up? But I'm also not at all familiar with the game to know what needle in the haystack you're missing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Well, it's also an NES RPG from 1990. It's almost a given it'll be chock full of the ol' "Where the hell do I go next?". That said, I don't think there's any way to lock your game up? But I'm also not at all familiar with the game to know what needle in the haystack you're missing.

Oh, I'm able to finish the game, was just going for the platinum trophy and realized something was wrong when the trophy for getting all the hidden items in the game didn't pop when I got supposedly the last hidden items in Eureka. Pretty annoying cause I'm gonna get all the others. Visit every location, 100% bestiary, open all chests, etc. Just gonna be missing the one for getting all hidden items. There were like, 3 that were missable I think. One from Hein Castle and two from southwest Saronia. The ones from Saronia show up as completed but I don't have any way of verifying the one in Hein Castle because it's a onetime location that doesn't show up on the world map tracking.

Edit mid-typing: Just realized I never visited Falgabard! Woo! That might be the thing. Never realized I missed it because it didn't have any unique enemies so I wasn't missing anything in my bestiary other than World of Darkness enemies since once you enter there you're locked into the endgame.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Finally went back and finished off final fantasy I. I got all the achievements except one, so I had to go back and get 1 chest from marsh cave and 3 from the final dungeon. Yay my first PR mastery achievement.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Man, I gotta say, FF3 really feels like it must have been pushing the limits of what you could do on the NES. I know there's a decent chunk of improvements in the pixel remaster, but you're still talking about a bunch of different jobs, a bestiary that's pretty much twice as big as either of the previous games, multiple overworlds, multiple airships, lots of scripted events, etc.

Also, ended up with a final party of Knight, Bard, Devout, and Ranger. Probably didn't need both the Bard and the Devout since that kind of hampers my offensive capabilities, but it's nice to have that extra punch of healing when the Bard's Paeon isn't enough to keep the party's health level. Probably could've swapped Ranger out for something that did more damage, but whatever, I liked the barrage ability.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm still livid about Yuffie not being on PS4, not even delayed, just a total jerk move.

Also, even the super comprehensive OP forgets about Type-0. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYfN3hbX-A

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Forgot, or was the memory of it removed upon its death?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Type-0 was kind of neat. I had the collector's edition of it when it was on PS4. More students in war.

• Options
    Apparently, FF11 is still subscription based. Yikes.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

So is Ultima Online. You can't call yourself old-school otherwise.

• Options
    I think Square Enix deleted my old PlayOnline account. I tried transferring it, but my password does not work and I can't retrieve it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

As opposed to?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

As opposed to?

They pay you?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    If they ever packaged up FF11 as a non-MMO thing you could play locally without a sub, I'd totally give it a shot.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You can play ffxi solo for all stories and you dan get the whole game for lime $10 usually so pay for a months get the story and pay a total of $25. Seems reasonable.

Game gets monthly updates. New endgame dropped this past year

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Man, I really can't overstate how transformative the rearranged/orchestrated soundtrack is for the pixel remastered games are. Literally every song I've heard so far has been fantastic and both faithful and an improvement over the original over the 4 games I've played so far. Obviously the rearranged versions are doing more for the earlier NES games because of how limited the sound chip was compared to the SNES, but even the FF4 rearrangements are great.

For example, the Mysidia theme in FF4:
    Original:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIbHT6ruZNA
    Rearranged: (1:00:38 if it doesn't embed the time properly)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1aO6lkEa4&t=3638s

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I've heard the remasters went scorched earth on giving the original team credit, which never sits will with me, but I guess that's a thing everyone does, sadly.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.