As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man of Steel: Getting into Superman

DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
So earlier this year I bought Kingdom Come. And fell in love with it. So I decided that I wanted to get more into some in-continuity Superman Stories.

Clearly the place to start is with Birthright. But my question is where do I go after that? Is infinite Crisis even worth reading?

DharmaBum on

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crisis on Infinite Earths is a superb story all around.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So earlier this year I bought Kingdom Come. And fell in love with it. So I decided that I wanted to get more into some in-continuity Superman Stories.

Clearly the place to start is with Birthright. But my question is where do I go after that? Is infinite Crisis even worth reading?

You need to read a lot more to really get the gist of Infinite Crisis, not just the main book.

Try Up, Up, and Away!, the first arc to come from the One Year Later jump, and it's a good one. I believe there is a trade of it out now, or coming soon.

Edit - Here ya go.. Again, pick up the trade or the individual issues.

Are you sure you want to just limit yourself to in continuity stories though? I mean, we're talking Superman here. 60+ years of stories...many of which are collected in some sort of format.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    my fav Supes stories -
    For All Seasons
    Birthright
    What Ever Happened to the Man of Tommorow
    Red Son
    JLA: The Nail

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All-Star Superman if you decide not to just stick with in continuity stories.

You'll thank me for it later.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Are you sure you want to just limit yourself to in continuity stories though? I mean, we're talking Superman here. 60+ years of stories...many of which are collected in some sort of format.

I don't want to JUST read in-continuity stories but I kinda wanna get into the DCU more than just reading Kingdom Come and Red Son and the like.

Don't get me wrong I wanna read out of continuity stuff as well. But for some reason the in-continuity stuff seems a bit more daunting for me.

Feel free to recomend me any Superman book. :)

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lex luthor: man of steel is another great one, along with the previously mentioned For All Seasons. The first trade of All Star Superman is out (although just in HC format at the moment I think), and is well worth picking up (or just get the single issues, either way)

Zavian on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Red Son (non-continuity)
    Birthright (continuity I think)
    Secret Identity (non-continuity)
    All-Star Superman (non-continuity)

valiance on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    this might just be me, but i really enjoy the showcase superman collections. they're just insane. plus, the first one's only 10 bucks for like five hundred pages of superman comics that may have been written by crazy people. it's like that book chicken soup for the soul, except superman uses superspeed to change all of perry white's clothes really fast and make the poor guy think he's going senile.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For in-continuity stuff, grab Birthright, Superman for All Seasons, and Up, Up, and Away.

Is For the Man Who Has Everything canon? That was awesome, too.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first two arcs of Superman/Batman were enjoyable for me.
    I haven't read anything past that, though. So, uh, yeah.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All the Alan Moore superman that's included in his 'The Stories of Alan Moore' are really good. Whatever Happened to Superman really got me.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kurt Busiek's run so far has been pretty tops. The first part of Camelot falls is out in trade I think.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My LCS has quite a few copies of a two-part trade called 'Our Worlds at War'. Is it any good?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Pretty much anything Grant Morrison has written with Superman, notably JLA: New World Order and the DC One Million megacrossover - but especially, especially All-Star Superman. It is, I think, the best comic currently on shelves. Here's something I wrote about it elsewhere:
    What All-Star Superman has done is really crystallized in my head what had previously been vague, hard-to-pin-down notions of what Superman should be and why it so rarely feels like his books do him justice. Morrison's big insight, which should have been utterly obvious all along, is simply that Superman is intelligent. I mean, Clark Kent is supposed to be a Pulitzer-winning investigative reporter, but too many writers (even the ones on the otherwise superb Dini/Timm cartoons) turn Superman into some steroidal charge-in-first dope or a gullible government stooge. That never felt right to me and now I know why.

What I feel like Morrison's showing us is that while Batman's mission is to punish criminals, Superman is a seeker after truth - stopping muggers or catching falling airplanes or whatever is just his 'day job', as it were, and what he really lives for is the discovery and exploration, working on science projects in the Fortress and trying to help advance humanity in the long term. It seems so obvious now: if he's too powerful to tell traditional superhero stories with, the solution is to find new sorts of stories - not just bigger bad guys, but different concepts altogether.

And you're right about Quitely and about the pitch-perfect expressions he draws. To me, the whole series is summed up by that first cover: he's relaxed, not fighting anyone, and his smile isn't dopey or macho or arrogant but calm and knowing, inviting the reader to join him and share his unique perspective on the world.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What All-Star Superman has done is really crystallized in my head what had previously been vague, hard-to-pin-down notions of what Superman should be and why it so rarely feels like his books do him justice. Morrison's big insight, which should have been utterly obvious all along, is simply that Superman is intelligent. I mean, Clark Kent is supposed to be a Pulitzer-winning investigative reporter, but too many writers (even the ones on the otherwise superb Dini/Timm cartoons) turn Superman into some steroidal charge-in-first dope or a gullible government stooge. That never felt right to me and now I know why.

What I feel like Morrison's showing us is that while Batman's mission is to punish criminals, Superman is a seeker after truth - stopping muggers or catching falling airplanes or whatever is just his 'day job', as it were, and what he really lives for is the discovery and exploration, working on science projects in the Fortress and trying to help advance humanity in the long term. It seems so obvious now: if he's too powerful to tell traditional superhero stories with, the solution is to find new sorts of stories - not just bigger bad guys, but different concepts altogether.

And you're right about Quitely and about the pitch-perfect expressions he draws. To me, the whole series is summed up by that first cover: he's relaxed, not fighting anyone, and his smile isn't dopey or macho or arrogant but calm and knowing, inviting the reader to join him and share his unique perspective on the world.

I never thought I would say this on an internet forum, but that is really insightful and absolutely true. I applaud you, sir.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I seem to remember a story about Morrison's inspirations for his take on Superman. Morrison's at a convention and some guy dressed as Superman walks up. He sits and talks to Grant in character for a while, and Morrison realises that this guy has absolutely nailed Superman in a way he's never seen before. He's utterly relaxed, calm, and the most self-possessed man in the world: because he's Superman. Absolute self-assurance without a trace of arrogance.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »
    The first two arcs of Superman/Batman were enjoyable for me.
    I haven't read anything past that, though. So, uh, yeah.

Yeah, I like those two arcs as well. The next two were pretty average and then after Loeb left... Mark Verheiden turned the series into garbage. On the plus side, Greg Rucka's meant to be doing a Superman/Batman arc at some point.

Outside of Superman/Batman, I'd recommend pretty much all the OYL stuff. Busiek, Johns and Donner have all been doing some great stuff. Morrison's All Star Superman has also been fantastic.

After you get a handle on things, I guess you can go back and read Infinite Crisis. I liked it but others don't.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    All the Alan Moore superman that's included in his 'The Stories of Alan Moore' are really good. Whatever Happened to Superman really got me.

Indeed, great book all around

also All-Star Superman

Algertman on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Red Son is the best Superman story.
    Why don't you just put the whole WORLD in a bottle, Superman?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Cubicle CaptiveCubicle Captive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The biggest problem when it comes to in-continuity stories is that the writers really don't know what to do with Supes. The corporate side of DC doesn't want to introduce major changes in the character's life because it could jeopardize their profits. So most of the time, Superman encounters a strong guy or space invasion, and completely decimates the bastards without breaking a sweat.

The best Superman stories are Elseworlds titles (Kingdom Come, Red Son, The Nail, Last Son of Earth) that put Supes out of his normal routine and use the extraordinary situation to explore what it really means to be Superman. Try out Trinity, and New Frontier. These GNs go back to the early period of Superman's life, when he's just meeting Batman and Wonder Woman.

Then there's what I like to refer to as "Silver Age Style Dementia" stories, where Superman turns into a lion, or Lois accidentally marries Satan. The latter are just empty fun if you can handle the fact that none of it makes a damn bit of sense. All-Star Superman kind of fits into this mold, but it's awesome. Why? Cause Grant Morrison, that's why.

As for in-continuity, serious stuff: Crisis on Infinite Earths is great, as is the first 12 or so issues of John Byrne's Man of Steel reboot. Superman: Man for All Seasons is a great story (not sure if it's canon), and I agree that Up, Up, and Away is great as well.

Cubicle Captive on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    this might just be me, but i really enjoy the showcase superman collections. they're just insane. plus, the first one's only 10 bucks for like five hundred pages of superman comics that may have been written by crazy people. it's like that book chicken soup for the soul, except superman uses superspeed to change all of perry white's clothes really fast and make the poor guy think he's going senile.

You know how they did those, right? Julie Schwartz or one of the other editors would come up with a cover idea ("Great Krypton! Lex Luthor has stolen my hair!") and tell the writers to make a story around it.

Looking back, maybe this wasn't such a bad way to do things. You got a memorable cover and a crazy-ass story to go with it every month. What do you get these days? A bunch of people standing around in a generic team pose and the story is part one of sixteen, and part sixteen won't be solicited until your grandkids are ready for college.

EDIT: Not that I seriously think the 50s stuff is like, timeless genius. It certainly takes a very open mind to read some of those old Showcases for anything but novelty value. It's just we could stand to get some of that lunacy back - for which again, I look to Morrison.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    I seem to remember a story about Morrison's inspirations for his take on Superman. Morrison's at a convention and some guy dressed as Superman walks up. He sits and talks to Grant in character for a while, and Morrison realises that this guy has absolutely nailed Superman in a way he's never seen before. He's utterly relaxed, calm, and the most self-possessed man in the world: because he's Superman. Absolute self-assurance without a trace of arrogance.

Here's an article where he recounts that story, along with a picture of Morrison and the Superman in question.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    that's actually one of my all time favorite interviews. i think he gets superman like pretty much nobody else

edit- maybe alan moore. that intro to his issues is so effing good
    This is an IMAGINARY STORY (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath, and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink….This is an IMAGINARY STORY … Aren’t they all?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That moore intro is the greatest description of Superman I've ever heard. I think I like that superman better than the superman we see more- the calm perfect man who does only good. I also like Quitely's drawings of Absolute Superman- he isn't buff, he isn't ripped, you can't see every muscle- he's just powerful, and he knows it, but he also knows he's the good guy.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That for me is why Christopher Reeve was so damn appropriate for the role. It's all in the face and the eyes, not in the raging, bulging biceps and pecs. Not all Kryptonians were ripped and rediculous, right? And isn't he essentially just a normal Kryptonian? I like a fit superman, but not a beefcake. It detracts from his sensitivity and intelligence.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to go ahead and reccomend All Star Supes and Red Son.

Both are fantastic.

Scrumtrulescent on