As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] Thread: Supporting Necromancy Charities

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I never played the original ark but I'm jonesing for some co op survival gaming and I see ark evolved , with it's many negative reviews due to the shady devs shutting down the non remaster server and performance issues.. but it still has 66k+ people playing and it looks like the gameplay is solid apart from the review bombing for shady company decisions..

Anyway anyone have experience with it and thoughts for someone new to it?

Karoz hit basically all the highlights, but as it's also the game with the highest playtime in my library I feel the need to say something about it: Find or make a server (or play solo) with settings that work for your style of play. Don't try to just go default, that way lies madness. Especially with respect to taming times on dinosaurs. The highest level ones can take hours upon hours, and having to set up a mini base around the tame, constantly monitor it, hope nothing clips into and kills it, etc is just way more than it's worth. Many of the building components take more resources than it feels like they should. So you're looking to play with augmented numbers on those fronts.

But on the positive side, the amount of mods for the game is sprawling, and because they're on the Steam Workshop they're easy to apply to the game. So with the base game of "tame dinos, harvest things, build with those things, farm, breed dinos, survive, level up", you have plenty of ways to make the game fit what it needs to be for you to find it fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1446350/You_Will_Die_Here_Tonight/

I don't normally do this but I have to whore out this game for a minute. I don't even know how it ended up on my wishlist but it did and was released on Halloween. Game is super fun so far. It pays homage to the original Resident Evil game. Dialog is fun and made me laugh a few times (it doesn't take itself seriously). Game is isometric when you're running around the mansion but you go into FPS mode when fighting zombies/enemies. You choose 8 characters. Each character has something unique about them (herbs, gun mods, explosives, etc) and they give you benefits that help your team go further into the mansion. I really enjoy it.

Okay I just finished this and absolutely loved it. They're very generous on some of the bosses when it comes to ammo but overall it's still a lot of fun. Highly recommend it. Or at least try the demo :)

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Steam Deck OLED - OLED screen, better battery life, wifi 6, and lighter.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'm plenty happy with my regular Deck, but this looks amazing for someone without one.

Also check that they're getting rid of two of the original models and they're selling them at a discount.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    oh man, if I hadn't literally just gotten my Zelda OLED Switch the other day, I would absolutely have saved up and gone with this Steam Deck OLED instead (since I already have a Switch Lite). It really came out of nowhere!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KLj06fn2s

and it seems to have addressed the main issue I had that held me back from buying the first Deck, they improved the battery life by at least 30%! slight 5% weight decrease also seems to be noticeable which is also nice

Zavian on
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

I'm plenty happy with my regular Deck, but this looks amazing for someone without one.

Also check that they're getting rid of two of the original models and they're selling them at a discount.

After mine walked off on a plane, I've been waiting for a refresh, so I'm stoked.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, 256GB is now entry level, 64GB and 512GB are being clearanced out. All discounted - big time for the OG 512GB, a whopping £180 off here.

OLED's going to be 512GB and 1TB.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Kotaku breakdown seems to be that it's very nice, but maybe not something worth upgrading to if you already have a Steam Deck 1.0 that works perfectly fine, like I do.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Kotaku breakdown seems to be that it's very nice, but maybe not something worth upgrading to if you already have a Steam Deck 1.0 that works perfectly fine, like I do.

yeah i would imagine it's the same as the Switch OLED was for people that had a regular Switch

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm probably not upgrading until I've had this one for at least 3-4 years.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    'Games will look nicer because of the screen but won't actually run any better' was where I was like "Okay, I don't need this. Nice, though."

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2023
    'Games will look nicer because of the screen but won't actually run any better'

thats not exactly true according to the DF review, they were getting small single digit performance boosts, they managed to get 8.9 fps increase with Cyberpunk with less stutter overall

they did upgrade some of the internals, not just the screen and battery

Zavian on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    the limited edition translucent one is all kinds of good looking: (and will probably be sold out immediately)
    xj62sodp5wgy.png

Zavian on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    oh man, if I hadn't literally just gotten my Zelda OLED Switch the other day, I would absolutely have saved up and gone with this Steam Deck OLED instead (since I already have a Switch Lite). It really came out of nowhere!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KLj06fn2s

and it seems to have addressed the main issue I had that held me back from buying the first Deck, they improved the battery life by at least 30%! slight 5% weight decrease also seems to be noticeable which is also nice

Steam page also shows a better APU and wifi upgrade.

Great timing since I will be getting one around February or March as long as my check engine light doesn't come on.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Hevach wrote: »

Steam page also shows a better APU and wifi upgrade.

Great timing since I will be getting one around February or March as long as my check engine light doesn't come on.

aptX-LL (low latency) with bluetooth 5.3 support is great too with newer wireless headsets/earbuds

Zavian on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I've had issues with Humble Choice's quality here and there but man I think I'm definitely going to drop them over the login issues I'm always fucking having with them.

Is it the MFA function?

They seem to have a really low cap on how many MFA requests they can handle, right after the bundle drops, it's a shit show trying to get that email sent...

• Options

thats not exactly true according to the DF review, they were getting small single digit performance boosts, they managed to get 8.9 fps increase with Cyberpunk with less stutter overall

Aww man, well it's not a 700 dollar upgrade worth of boosts.

But they're sick for bringing back transparent shells. It's Atomic Purple all over again. My nostalgia!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    I've had issues with Humble Choice's quality here and there but man I think I'm definitely going to drop them over the login issues I'm always fucking having with them.

Is it the MFA function?

They seem to have a really low cap on how many MFA requests they can handle, right after the bundle drops, it's a shit show trying to get that email sent...

So, this happens pretty much every month I begin to claim games on Choice, I'll click "Claim" and it'll just stare at me for hours, not doing anything. So everybody says when that happens, clear your cookies and site data. Okay, fine, but that also clears my login session, so I have to log in again.

So I'll put in my username and password, and it'll stare at me. I'll sign in via Google, and it'll stare at me. The only way I can log in is to reset my password, which will then create a login session without actually logging in, and then I can claim my games.

I've created support tickets over this, and created another one last night, I've never gotten responses from Humble.

Regrettably I bought a full year of membership last February, and I think by accident somehow, so I just need to make sure that I don't re-up it this coming February. I don't think I've played more than like 4 or 5 games I've redeemed through Choice in the past year.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    the limited edition translucent one is all kinds of good looking: (and will probably be sold out immediately)
    xj62sodp5wgy.png

Translucent/transparent controllers/handhelds are always better, it's a fact.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't even need one, but I want it.

Battery life is the biggest thing for me as I'd use it for indie and emulators.

• Options

But they're sick for bringing back transparent shells. It's Atomic Purple all over again. My nostalgia!

I wish Valve had some kind of trade-in system so you could get credit towards the newer models

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I bought Strange Brigade during the Halloween sale for $4 and plowed through it, beating the last boss last night. The levels are interesting to look at and if they were designed more vertically, they'd be good enough to feature in a Tomb Raider game. The shooting and objectives are repetitive but, yeah, still a good buy for $4. Fear not, the world is safe from mummy attacks thanks to ... The Strange Brigade.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Thank you very much @Karoz for Pro-deus! <3<3<3

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You're all welcome for the new Steam Deck. I bought the original a few months ago during the summer sale discounts so the universe had to make it obsolete ASAP

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    I don't even need one, but I want it.

Battery life is the biggest thing for me as I'd use it for indie and emulators.

I mostly play mine at home near an outlet, but I guess just having to charge it slightly fewer times in my life would be nice.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Man that OLED Deck is tempting, but I already have a perfectly good Steam Deck. Since Valve already sells refurbished decks, I'll strongly consider it if they offer some kind of trade-in program, otherwise I'll wait unless a friend wants a Steam Deck and then I can trade up.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Robocop is one of those films like Star Wars people will tell you they've never seen before and I just get an instinctual reaction to reply "How did you do that?"

I once met someone older than me who didn't know Dracula was originally a book. They thought Dracula came from that '90s movie - Bram Stoker's Dracula, which they assumed was called that because it was directed by someone called Bram Stoker.

Since then, I've stopped being surprised about people not having seen any particular piece of popular media.

I'm sorry, I'm catching up on the stuff I missed, and the idea that Dracula/the concept of vampires was invented in the late 1990s is wild.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will sell them in Australia this time instead of making us go through importers.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hahaha don't be silly Australia isn't a real place!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I wish Valve had some kind of trade-in system so you could get credit towards the newer models

It's called selling it to folks who don't have one yet but would buy on a discount

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

It's called selling it to folks who don't have one yet but would buy on a discount

Yeah I said I would totally do that when the transparent Analogue Pocket came out like a week after the glow in the dark one.

Now I have 3 Analogue Pockets for no raisin god why

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Look I've been all over the US and I've never seen the US-Australia border. It's pure fantasy. It's like Neverland or Narnia.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I totally flipped my 2nd version Switch for an OLED Switch this way.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Yeah I said I would totally do that when the transparent Analogue Pocket came out like a week after the glow in the dark one.

One to play, one for backup, and another for backup to the backup.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I got that reference

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

One to play, one for backup, and another for backup to the backup.

Not a bad plan with how hard it is to get one from Analogue.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Look I've been all over the US and I've never seen the US-Australia border. It's pure fantasy. It's like Neverland or Narnia.

As a resident of Neverland, I'd like to raise an objection....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited November 2023

As a resident of Neverland, I'd like to raise an objection....

Oh yeah?

Oh yeah?!?

Point to it on this map, Pixie!

992hcyqujijg.png

Thawmus on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Thanks @Karoz and @Morninglord for donating!! <3

KoopahTroopah on