Options

[NFL] Thread: You Won't Have Barry To Kick Around Anymore!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Did someone submit a fake draft card for the Falcons?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    It's funny how many folks thought it was going to be trades galore, and yet it's just going to be chalk. Though I could see someone moving up with ATL.
    That’s because the mock drafts wanted the “breaking” blockbuster trade draft headlines. When trades in drafts during most seasons are fairly rare. Last season was weird

zepherin on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    6 quarterbacks in the first 12 picks? I think this might be the weirdest draft I have ever seen.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    6 quarterbacks in the first 12 picks? I think this might be the weirdest draft I have ever seen.
    Everyone needed help at QB

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Did someone submit a fake draft card for the Falcons?
    Yeah, I'm still not getting paying Cousins 180 million and drafting his successor in the first round of the immediately next draft.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

All jokes about Cousins aside, did Atlanta?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    His successor who will be 26 when he takes over! JJ is at least 20 and made way more sense with that pick. I feel bad for those fan bases, these are some desperate dumb picks.

On the plus side, 6 QB's in the first works out better for the Lions. Means players will be falling.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited April 26

Only 1 of the QBs drafted is really “pro ready” but 4 of them are definitely starting on a NFL team, and 2 of them are going to Bryce Young their 1st season. Atlanta is doing it correctly. Give the kid some time to learn and work the system until Cousins goes from savvy vet to just old.

zepherin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Vikings and Bears did very well. Doubting McCarthy is duuuuuuumb.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Only 1 of the QBs drafted is really “pro ready” but 4 of them are definitely starting on a NFL team, and 2 of them are going to Bryce Young their 1st season. Atlanta is doing it correctly. Give the kid some time to learn and work the system until Cousins goes from savvy vet to just old.

Penix is not the right pick to sit for 2 years.

• Options

Penix is not the right pick to sit for 2 years.

He’s not a kid!

• Options
    edited April 26
    Yeah, Penix will be 27 by the time the Cousins contract expires.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Vikings and Bears did very well. Doubting McCarthy is duuuuuuumb.

Lions really need one of those CBs, Bears and Vikings just might be good in the air.

• Options
    edited April 26
    Lions, please trade up for one of the falling corners. Philly is for sure taking one and Jax is likely taking one as well.

Trajan45 on
  • Options

The Falcons are basically wasting most of MPJs rookie deal.

Unless they already have second thoughts on Cousins or his long-term health.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    $90 million over the first 2 years and it's almost all signing bonus. They'd have to Russel Wilson him to get out after 1 year

Edit: Atlanta that is

Carpy on
  • Options
    Chop Robinson is one of the worst run defenders I have ever seen.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Bo Nix started like 117 games in college, too

• Options
    YES LIONS!

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    $90 million over the first 2 years and it's almost all signing bonus. They'd have to Russel Wilson him to get out after 1 year

Most of these picks are busts. Caleb Williams is the only “guarantee” in the mix. And statistically 3 of the 6 are going to be disappointments. And only 1 or 2 are going to be “franchise Quarterbacks” so if Caleb Williams is one, then maybe 1 of the others rises to that level, and Atlanta Denver Minnesota NE and Washington all hope they are the one but likely 3 of them get a Bryce Young.

• Options

Most of these picks are busts. Caleb Williams is the only “guarantee” in the mix. And statistically 3 of the 6 are going to be disappointments. And only 1 or 2 are going to be “franchise Quarterbacks” so if Caleb Williams is one, then maybe 1 of the others rises to that level, and Atlanta Denver Minnesota NE and Washington all hope they are the one but likely 3 of them get a Bryce Young.

Williams is in no way a guarantee.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Most QBs are busts because we let shitty teams pick them. We take a good player who plays an extremely valuable but extremely interdependent position, remove all the context of what made them good, and drop them into what is definitionally a bad situation

• Options
    “I know the question is gonna come up about weapons… we look at offensive lineman as weapons”

I'll give you negative eight guesses on who the owner of this quote is.
    It's Jim Harbaugh, I miss him so much.

• Options

One of these eggheads says Williams grades out near Luck and Lawrence. That’s not bad company to be in. He’s also going to have one of the better receiver groups top to bottom.

On the other hand, he’s a USC QB and he’s in Chicago. And freak injuries are a thing.

So yeah, I’m hopeful, but I’m not betting the farm on him succeeding.

• Options

One of these eggheads says Williams grades out near Luck and Lawrence. That’s not bad company to be in. He’s also going to have one of the better receiver groups top to bottom.

On the other hand, he’s a USC QB and he’s in Chicago. And freak injuries are a thing.

So yeah, I’m hopeful, but I’m not betting the farm on him succeeding.

The better defenses he played handled him. And not even great defenses, just the better ones. He has some genuinely insane throws on his highlight reel but he holds the ball forever and doesn't see things nearly as well as he should.

• Options
    edited April 26
    Not sure I understand what the Bills are doing. Trading with your arch rival seems odd.

EDIT: Then you give up a WR that you desperately need to move up from the 6th to the 5th. I guess they didn't like Legette.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Not sure I understand what the Bills are doing. Trading with your arch rival seems odd.

EDIT: Then you give up a WR that you desperately need to move up from the 6th to the 5th. I guess they didn't like Legette.

The Bills had a better round 1 than the Falcons.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I guess the Niners don't care to protect their QB. And a WR? Someone's getting traded.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    The Falcons reason is actually good if it wasn’t delusional

• Options
    Denver at least makes sense, even if history tells you it's a terrible idea and the chance of it working is extremely slim. The funny part is they are in a good position to do a slow rebuild since Payton's contract is so long and they can use the Wilson trade/contract as an excuse. This was the year to take a top O-lineman or trade back for more picks. Then just play all your young guys and see what you have. Instead, they draft a Brock Purdy at best with one of the worst overall teams in the league around him.

I have no idea what Atlanta is doing. The best argument is that they don't know how Cousin's will look post injury and they want a high floor backup? But then the backup you pick is highly injury prone? They could have gone JJ given he's 20 and it would make way more sense to do a Green Bay situation. This feels like a team that got caught up in the draft hype like some do. "Oh Penix is likely going to Denver or LV? I guess we need to get a 3rd round talent with pick #8, instead of just talking ourselves into another QB next year or the following year".

• Options
    edited April 26
    A relevant factor is that next year's QBs suuuuuuck. Someone's going to talk themselves into Carson Beck in the top five.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    So, if Williams and McCarthy are as good as advertised, is the NFC North the best division?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    So, if Williams and McCarthy are as good as advertised, is the NFC North the best division?

It’s probably the strongest across all 4 teams that I can remember in my lifetime.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Because there's 2 rookie QBs?

Absolutely not.

And I'm sending someone to check on you for even suggesting it :tongue:

• Options
    edited April 26
    The NFC North is going to be insane. GB is all young and almost got to the conference championship. Hell their biggest weakness was their DC, who they finally replaced. The Bears and Vikings could be the best landing spots for a rookie QB since Mahomes. The Bears defense was really good last year, should be similar this year, and they have 3 really good offensive weapons now. If they draft O-line here and hit on someone, they could have a break out season. And the Vikings likewise have a trio of great offensive weapons, a good O-line and a good young offensive coach.

I'm really afraid that last year was the Lions only chance at a Super bowl trip. I love them adding Arnold, but he needs to hit, we need to stay healthy, and have a bit of luck to have a shot this year.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    The Vikings are going to Viking, and by that I mean show spurts of greatness then fall completely flat because they have no depth as soon as a key player gets injured. Their 2025 draft is going to be really rough.

As a Chicago homer though, I am beyond ecstatic at our rebuild so far. We have to have a top 4-5 receving corps right now, after Cincy/Miami/Philly, right? DJ, Allen, Rome, Kmet, Swift; Williams has been setup for success. Only pieces I think we absolutely need most right now is help at Guard and Edge.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Yeah the NFC North has a ton of upside now, hopefully things pan out for <your favorite team>, but history shows not all of them will get to see that upside turn into actual good seasons.

Someday soon I’ll need to pick a team to root for or else I’m just going to fade away as a football fan.

Also:

I think that depends on which advertisements you have been watching :)

maraji on
  • Options
    Denver at least makes sense, even if history tells you it's a terrible idea and the chance of it working is extremely slim. The funny part is they are in a good position to do a slow rebuild since Payton's contract is so long and they can use the Wilson trade/contract as an excuse. This was the year to take a top O-lineman or trade back for more picks. Then just play all your young guys and see what you have. Instead, they draft a Brock Purdy at best with one of the worst overall teams in the league around him.

I have no idea what Atlanta is doing. The best argument is that they don't know how Cousin's will look post injury and they want a high floor backup? But then the backup you pick is highly injury prone? They could have gone JJ given he's 20 and it would make way more sense to do a Green Bay situation. This feels like a team that got caught up in the draft hype like some do. "Oh Penix is likely going to Denver or LV? I guess we need to get a 3rd round talent with pick #8, instead of just talking ourselves into another QB next year or the following year".

Atlanta’s reason is “we’re not gonna be drafting this high again for a while because we’re too good”

Again, it’s a good reason if it wasn’t delusional

• Options
    Oh man, with the Penix and Nix going, completely glossed over the Raiders taking Brock Bowers when they took Meyers last year.

• Options
    Oh man, with the Penix and Nix going, completely glossed over the Raiders taking Brock Bowers when they took Meyers last year.

Sometimes, “best available player” is not the right choice for a team.