Options

[Star Trek] is mostly just about the theme songs

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I just think the Kazon are a young, warrior race. So yeah - theire tech is dumb and they don't seem to understand how sensors and warp drive work, but give them time, they could become a powerful empire. They are literally just the Klingons 500 years ago. I assumed the reason the Kazon were a threat to Voyager was not that each ship was dangerous but that a) they had a lot of them - swarm b) their capital ships were frickin' enormous - so they could bring strength if they wanted. Voyager wasn't a heavy cruiser and not designed for extended combat.

The Kazon backstory is really interesting and full of potential for an original and morally-grey villain that also allows exploration of real current-day social issues.

Like for everything else in Voyager, that rich potential was thrown away in favour of the stupidest and most bland idea possible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So we keep the Kazon dumb but you can freeze-dry them, grind them up, and use the grounds to make amazing coffee.

Now who is the threat to the quadrant?

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Voyager discovering that there were a whole bunch of mass effect esque portals scattered throughout the Delta Quadrant by an ancient race that were all effectively point to point, sometimes one way (the tech is getting REALLY old), sometimes control of either end of the portal is changing hands, but there are elusive traces that one or more ships has come from the Alpha quadrant over the last few hundred years via the network. So Voyager spends as much time criss crossing this network, trying to build a map, trying to find more clues, as it does just getting home. Basically, someone a long time ago learned how to create stable/semi-stable wormholes, and then... disappeared. It would explain constantly recurring villains, let's you have your exploration, etc.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    Voyager discovering that there were a whole bunch of mass effect esque portals scattered throughout the Delta Quadrant by an ancient race that were all effectively point to point, sometimes one way (the tech is getting REALLY old), sometimes control of either end of the portal is changing hands, but there are elusive traces that one or more ships has come from the Alpha quadrant over the last few hundred years via the network. So Voyager spends as much time criss crossing this network, trying to build a map, trying to find more clues, as it does just getting home. Basically, someone a long time ago learned how to create stable/semi-stable wormholes, and then... disappeared. It would explain constantly recurring villains, let's you have your exploration, etc.

So Star Trek: SG-1?

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

In a lot of ways, sure.

• Options

Solving your problems by blowing up a star is exactly something Janeway would do.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Solving your problems by blowing up a star is exactly something Janeway would do.

Yeah, if we're killing gods, sign me up. I love that shit.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

The Iconians from Star Trek: Online?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    daveNYC wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Consistent villains was the other problem.
    The entire concept of their mission was 'draw a line to Earth, follow it as fast as we can'.
    A race showing up for more than a couple of episodes would need to cover an enormous amount of territory, and specific recurring villains would have to be able to keep up with this ship that's built for speed. Anyone without transwarp or whatever should have a hard time keeping up. Given that the Kazon were specifically outmatched by Voyager's tech, it makes Kallah in particular managing to show up time and again seem far-fetched.

Recurring villains would make sense if Voyager was in worse shape and was, like, hiding out trying to make repairs while dodging Kazon or something. But that would require more serialized plotting. And a brain.

Or they ended up in the middle of the Kazon Empire which is actually a whole bunch of fiefdoms that make the Klingon Empire look like the Borg when it comes to political unity, but still functional. Kind of how the Ferengi have hyper-capitalism but also a functional society. Have them be closer to Voyager's tech level, but still far enough behind to be very interested in snarfling up the ship and the only reason nobody does it is because if the other houses found out about it they'd be ganged up on in order to stop them from gaining an advantage. And then you could have a bunch of fun as Voyager scoots through their space, trying to leverage each house against the other while dealing with various shenanigans the houses come up with to try and grab the ship.

The whole thing where the Kazon are a bunch of primitive screwheads who can't even sort out how to find water in space (fuuuuu) while being way behind Federation tech levels while also somehow also being a serious threat and covering enough space where Voyager keeps running into them and not having any traits other than bad hair and violence was just bad.

I think the Kazon concept isn't terrible but it requires Voyager to be in much worse shape to really work. Like imagine the Kazon as a enslaved race that overthrows their oppressors and then the entire area descends into a shifting mess of feuding warlords all subsisting on technology they stole from the race they overthrew. And Voyager, still damaged from getting pulled across the galaxy, is limping along just trying to find somewhere safe to repair and refuel and get the fuck out of dodge. And piloting a ship packed with technology everyone wants to steal. And maybe with internal divisions keeping the situation on the ship unstable. That works just fine imo.

The problem is Voyager, even in it's first season, is barely interested in it's own premise and so ends up as Enterprise D V2 running around dealing with enemies who deserve "they are locking laser on us" levels of contempt.

EDIT: Hell, the episode where Voyager actually contacts the previous oppressors would mostly still work in this re-imagined version too. Because like everything Voyager, there's a solid foundation here if you just actually commit to it.

shryke on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Yeah, if we're killing gods, sign me up. I love that shit.

https://idwpublishing.com/products/star-trek-vol-1-godshock?variant=45454207484203

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    *sounds of a bong* do you think that in the far future the Federation would be so advanced that they could build a device that completely blocks god like beings from entering real space? And do you think that when they build this device they'd call it a God Dam?

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    *sounds of a bong*

[insert video of the resurrection scene at the end of ST3 here]

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    *sounds of a bong* do you think that in the far future the Federation would be so advanced that they could build a device that completely blocks god like beings from entering real space? And do you think that when they build this device they'd call it a God Dam?

You'd have to have a team to support the technology, which means GodamIT.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they haven't made a show about the Dept of Temporal Investigations. The books are good and there's something new there they could mine as an Actual Temporal Cold War plus God Beings messing about.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they haven't made a show about the Dept of Temporal Investigations. The books are good and there's something new there they could mine as an Actual Temporal Cold War plus God Beings messing about.
    I suppose it would get pretty expensive, especially in live action. If they’re jumping around in the timeline you’d need multiple different period appropriate uniforms for the cast, plus needing sets appropriate for each time period too. Cheaper if they just stick to redressing hallways and avoid us ever seeing the bridge, engineering, or any other big sets, but I imagine that would get old pretty quickly. Although with so many shows currently running in different eras, or just ended, they should have a pretty wide array of sets to choose from.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    I suppose it would get pretty expensive, especially in live action. If they’re jumping around in the timeline you’d need multiple different period appropriate uniforms for the cast, plus needing sets appropriate for each time period too. Cheaper if they just stick to redressing hallways and avoid us ever seeing the bridge, engineering, or any other big sets, but I imagine that would get old pretty quickly. Although with so many shows currently running in different eras, or just ended, they should have a pretty wide array of sets to choose from.

Yeah, books have an effectively unlimited budget for such things; shows, even animation, do not.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Yeah, books have an effectively unlimited budget for such things; shows, even animation, do not.

Just have them react to things out of shot:
    "My God! An entire fleet of Borg Cubes are battling the combined military forces of the entire Alpha Quadrant in front of a spectacularly collapsing nebula!"
    "On screen."
    "The visual sensors are disabled sir, The best I can do is display a tactical view composed entirely of low resolution dots, triangles and squares."
    "Eh, we'll have to make do. Can you at least provide dramatic music over the speakers?"
    "Yes, but it'll have to be reused stuff from our last dramatic battle."
    "Make it happen."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

"My God! An entire fleet of Borg Cubes are battling the combined military forces of the entire Alpha Quadrant in front of a spectacularly collapsing nebula!"
    "On screen."
    "The visual sensors are disabled sir, The best I can do is display a tactical view composed entirely of low resolution dots, triangles and squares."
    "Eh, we'll have to make do. Can you at least provide dramatic music over the speakers?"
    "Make it happen."

*16bit Amok Time plays*

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Sort of depends on how much stuff they have stored away in the warehouse maybe. SNW gets you TOS era looking kit, Discovery sets could be used for future tech, and I'd have to think there's some TNG/DS9 stuff squirrelled away someplace that could be used.

One thing about a Temporal Investigation show is that they could probably get 10+ episodes just by dragging in previous Captains and debriefing them on events that happened in their series. Bring in the Shatner, say that they transported him out a millisecond before he biffed it sliding down a mountain, but they need his help for whatever because they think one of his time shenanigans broke something and it's one last chance to save the damn galaxy before being sent back to a historically guaranteed death. Sisko pops back into reality and the Time popo come to talk to him about what he's been up to (he's still technically Starfleet) and he drags the lot of them off to wormhole, with high comedy the result as the investigators try their Joe Friday routine on the Prophets. I'm not sure it'd be good, but there's at least the potential for some entertainment there.

An actual serious Time Cop show would probably end up being depressing since a lot of it would probably involve trying to preserve the One True Timeline, and there'd probably be a few too many episodes of them making sure that Romulus blows up because that's the way their timeline is and any change might risk a future Romulan Hitler type showing up.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Sort of depends on how much stuff they have stored away in the warehouse maybe. SNW gets you TOS era looking kit, Discovery sets could be used for future tech, and I'd have to think there's some TNG/DS9 stuff squirrelled away someplace that could be used.

A lot of these shows aren't shot in the same place. Or, rather, the old stuff was shot in LA and the new stuff is shot in Toronto afaik.

• Options

"On screen."
    "Make it happen."

"Hold on Number One, I'm on the phone with the captain of another ship... An entire fleet of Borg Cubes you say? Wow that must be a sight to behold... Ah yes nebulas are known to collapse like that, I saw it once or twice, it really is spectacular... Uh-hun, well I should let you get to it then, call me back to let me know how the battle went down... Right talk to you soon! Alright, Number One, so is this the report on crew bathroom usage you're bringing me?"

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

A lot of these shows aren't shot in the same place. Or, rather, the old stuff was shot in LA and the new stuff is shot in Toronto afaik.

It'd be a cost, but if they have the sets and costumes it might not be a deal breaker to rent a U-Haul and some additional studio space in Toronto. One of the selling points of TOS was being able to use all the whatnots that the studio had in storage from random shows and movies. Time Cops might be able to make the same argument using existing Trek kit. Dunno.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

"On screen."
    "Make it happen."

Or they can take the SG-1 approach.

"We have portals that can take us across galaxies to contact new forms of life and new civilizations!"
    "Awesome! So what is out there?!?!"
    "Mostly pre-industrial civilizations that live in forests that look a lot like British Columbia."
    "And the new forms of life?"
    "People. People with coins on their heads. People with shiny clothes."

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

"On screen."
    "Make it happen."

Or they can take the SG-1 approach.

"We have portals that can take us across galaxies to contact new forms of life and new civilizations!"
    "Awesome! So what is out there?!?!"
    "Mostly pre-industrial civilizations that live in forests that look a lot like British Columbia."
    "And the new forms of life?"
    "People. People with coins on their heads. People with shiny clothes."

We flew a UAV in a 5km circle around the gate, entire planet must be empty.

Missed the holographic sign for Stargate National Nature Preserve

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 10

It'd be a cost, but if they have the sets and costumes it might not be a deal breaker to rent a U-Haul and some additional studio space in Toronto. One of the selling points of TOS was being able to use all the whatnots that the studio had in storage from random shows and movies. Time Cops might be able to make the same argument using existing Trek kit. Dunno.

well the good thing is that Toronto has a Castle, a real life Holodeck and a giant abandoned rock quarry, which is honestly where 90% of star trek takes place any way.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Federation Time Cop ship has all the interior corridors and the bridge decked out in Green Screen green allowing time period appropriate decorations to be easily CGI'd in in post.
    If the show lasts more than a season, the increased library of time zone appropriate walls allows more time periods to be explored.

• Options
    edited April 10
    see317 wrote: »
    Federation Time Cop ship has all the interior corridors and the bridge decked out in Green Screen green allowing time period appropriate decorations to be easily CGI'd in in post.
    If the show lasts more than a season, the increased library of time zone appropriate walls allows more time periods to be explored.

Federation time ship also has a cloaking device so it can hide in the past and not break the temporal prime directive. Unfortunately it had to leave in a hurry in the pilot and the off button was going to be installed on Tuesday, so it's always on.

There, in-universe explanation why your actors are talking in front of thin air in an empty park or parking lot. Think of the savings!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well Toronto does have a castle...

well the good thing is that Toronto has a Castle, a real life Holodeck and a giant abandoned rock quarry, which is honestly where 90% of star trek takes place any way.

We also look a lot like New York, but cheaper. Handy for your time travel and other dystopia episodes!

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 10
    see317 wrote: »

Federation time ship also has a cloaking device chameleon circuit so it can hide in the past and not break the temporal prime directive. Unfortunately it had to leave in a hurry in the pilot and the off button was going to be installed on Tuesday, so it's always on.

FTFY

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Well Toronto does have a castle...

We also look a lot like New York, but cheaper. Handy for your time travel and other dystopia episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR70Vd0So8Q

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SNW is
    Good.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Not exactly Trek related, however:
    Todd Stashwick and other celebrities are teaming up to play D&D in a charity livestream, which will be on Twitch, so even if you weren't lucky enough to snag a seat at the table, you'll still be able to enjoy all the hilarious hijinks from afar.

The crew taking part in the D&D campaign Legends of Eleanora includes Todd Stashwick, who played Captain Liam Shaw from Star Trek: Picard as the Dungeon Master for the session. There's also Jonathan Frakes, who portrayed Captain William Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation; Deborah Ann Woll, who starred in Daredevil as Karen Page; Michelle Burd, who played Raffi Masiker in Star Trek: Picard; and Wil Wheaton, best known for portraying Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    The livestream will take place on Wednesday, April 20, at 5 pm PDT/ 8 pm ET / 1 am BST (on Thursday, April 21). All you have to do is check out the Mini Terrain Domain Twitch channel and search for Legends of Eleanora: Zephyr Against the Mist.

Very nice, and Frakes 100% sounds like a guy that would be up for it.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If Stashwick doesn't play an "asshole from Waterdeep" I'm turning the stream off immediately.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Bold choice, making your DM someone you killed off, preventing any possibility of them getting their own spin-off.
    "Okay, let's get started. Jonathan, you take one step and *rolls D20* 14 large boulders fall on you. Your passive Perception lets you see that they look like they're made of polystyrene, but you still die."

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Well, is official. Lower Decks Season 5 is the final season of the show.
    To the fans,

We wanted to let you know that this fall will be the fifth and final season of Star Trek: Lower Decks. While five seasons of any series these days seems like a miracle, it’s no exaggeration to say that every second we've spent making this show has been a dream come true. Our incredible cast, crew and artists have given you everything they have because they love the characters they play, they love the world we've built, and more than anything we all love love love Star Trek. We’re excited for the world to see our hilarious fifth season which we're working on right now, and the good news is that all previous episodes will remain on Paramount+ so there is still so much to look forward to as we celebrate the Cerritos crew with a big send-off.

Finally, thank you for always being so creative and joyful, for filling convention halls and chanting
    LOWER DECKS!" We remain hopeful that even beyond Season 5, Mariner, Boimler, Tendi, Rutherford and the whole Cerritos crew will live on with new adventures.

LLAP
    Mike McMahan and Alex Kurtzman

LD was planned for 5 seasons, so whatever ending we get, is going to be the actual full ending. But yes, this is it.

• Options
    This is the only Trek show my gf likes, so the only one I get to share and enjoy with her. I shall be sad to see it go.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aww. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Paramount better start making some new fucking Trek after this.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

Somehow I doubt they will. Trek shows are expensive, with modern expectations of quality sets, special effects, and stories. Meanwhile, Paramount wants something cheap to attract viewers to its failing streaming service and make a quick buck. They just can't get it through their heads that everyone and their donkey has a streaming service now, and people don't have unlimited money for subscriptions, and when the only entertainment your platform offers is the "watch our execs cancel series you love to get tax credits and boost their end-of-year bonuses" show, people aren't going to prioritize your subscription fee.

sig.gif
  • Options

Somehow I doubt they will. Trek shows are expensive, with modern expectations of quality sets, special effects, and stories. Meanwhile, Paramount wants something cheap to attract viewers to its failing streaming service and make a quick buck. They just can't get it through their heads that everyone and their donkey has a streaming service now, and people don't have unlimited money for subscriptions, and when the only entertainment your platform offers is the "watch our execs cancel series you love to get tax credits and boost their end-of-year bonuses" show, people aren't going to prioritize your subscription fee.

Newsome talked about writing the Starfleet Academy show on February, SNW is still ongoing and the S31 movie just finished filming last month.

But yeah, streaming is pretty much going to consolidate on Prime, Netflix and Crunchyroll, that's it.