The [movie] Thread: Fresh Squeezed Betelgeuse

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Mel Brooks movies are so deeply connected to his personal brand that, more than almost any other movie, remaking or sequeling them is just utterly bankrupt. It's not Spaceballs if Mel isn't making it.

"But he's producing it!" The guy is 97. They can bolt his name onto it but you're not convincing me he's having a meaningful enough impact to say the film is "made by" him.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 22
    Yes for better or worse, he is the movies he makes.

Someone came up with a "comedy in space" script and stuck The Joker Spaceballs on it to farm those rememberries.

MichaelLC on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The best way another Spaceballs movie could parody Star Wars at this point would be to simply make a good movie.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Parody rarely lends itself to sequels. I can't think of too many other than Naked Gun, Austin Powers, Hot Shots Part Deux, Airplane 2, and Scary Movie. And those were all done in the same time period so were parodying the same era of movies and with the same actors so they all have a similar look and tone to them. Making an unnecessary sequel to Spaceballs four decades later with different actors, a completely different era of source movies, and almost certainly a modern look to it, it's not going to look or feel like a sequel to the original.

Spaceballs was also primarily a parody of Star Wars, so that basically locks you in to needing to primarily parody Star Wars again. How do you parody Rise of Skywalker when it's already a joke? "Somehow Skroob returned." and dangle a 97 year old Mel Brooks in a bathrobe from the end of a crane?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'm in. But only if more Megamaid functions are revealed.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Suck, blow, and blow up self-destruct aren't enough for you?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Parody rarely lends itself to sequels. I can't think of too many other than Naked Gun, Austin Powers, Hot Shots Part Deux, Airplane 2, and Scary Movie. And those were all done in the same time period so were parodying the same era of movies and with the same actors so they all have a similar look and tone to them. Making an unnecessary sequel to Spaceballs four decades later with different actors, a completely different era of source movies, and almost certainly a modern look to it, it's not going to look or feel like a sequel to the original.

Spaceballs was also primarily a parody of Star Wars, so that basically locks you in to needing to primarily parody Star Wars again. How do you parody Rise of Skywalker when it's already a joke? "Somehow Skroob returned." and dangle a 97 year old Mel Brooks in a bathrobe from the end of a crane?

Someone more familiar with the greater universe could dig into the Filoni related stuff. Main protagonist could be Joan Wolf, nomad.

Every time a new character shows up, everyone else knows them because of that thing that happened outside of the movie.

Even still you could get more meta and have ships teleporting instead of hyperspace travel, a character with half a dozen fake outs, the protagonist able to do anything ten seconds after encountering it - force powers, alien languages, making a souffle.

It'd be unwatchable but you could do a lot.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

A big reason that comedy in general, but parody specifically isn't great at sequels is because a) you presumably told all your jokes in the first film and b) parody is usually about something contemporary, so as time goes on, it gets stale.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 22
    Spaceballs: the unironic soulless cash grab sequel

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    This was discussed in the parody thread but a lot of great parodies don't derive all or even most of their humor from "this is a thing that happened in a movie, but silly". Some of the best jokes are just fun silliness that's not related to the thing they are parodying at all.

We also live in an age of collegehumor sketches and YouTube videos essays, meaning every single joke or observation you could make about any specific property has already been made, and a parody movie is going to be way late to that party.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Spinach-desu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pygCruE-EJs

I need to rewatch this, I remember being confused about it as a kid but I did like the sets, it felt the right amount of believable but comical at the same time. And it seems the sets still exist because they built real houses!

• McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    God damn it, it took me 40 years to realize there's a racial component to this joke which is... yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OBUupicWg&ab_channel=PeetrW

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I think the best hope for a Spaceballs sequel is that it has basically nothing to do with Mel Brooks and is just a talented cast and crew doing some kind of parody of something with their own vibe.

The idea of "Star Wars themed parody" isn't inherently doomed to failure, but "a bunch of guys trying to ape the style of Mel Brooks, probably by doing a string of callbacks to the first movie" sure is.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think the best hope for a Spaceballs sequel is that it has basically nothing to do with Mel Brooks and is just a talented cast and crew doing some kind of parody of something with their own vibe.

The idea of "Star Wars themed parody" isn't inherently doomed to failure, but "a bunch of guys trying to ape the style of Mel Brooks, probably by doing a string of callbacks to the first movie" sure is.

If they had just announced a scifi parody movie called Space Movie, I'd be excited for it. But specifically a Spaceballs sequel, without Brooks writing or directing, I feel is just going to come across as try-hard and cringe as they try and fail to emulate Brooks.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A classic Mel Brooks hook would be the finale breaking the fourth wall and everyone attacking the studio exec finance bros who keep ruining all these beloved franchises

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    God damn it, it took me 40 years to realize there's a racial component to this joke which is... yikes.

It's obligatory to point out that the guy at the end of that clip is none other than Tim Russ aka Tuvok, who has had things to say about that scene

edited June 22
    madparrot wrote: »

It's obligatory to point out that the guy at the end of that clip is none other than Tim Russ aka Tuvok, who has had things to say about that scene

https://youtu.be/UQ7TnQBSV00?si=wfKceBtwXpXMGABR

He's always found it funny that he's more known for 4 words in Spaceballs than his entire run on Star Trek.

SiliconStew on
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    A classic Mel Brooks hook would be the finale breaking the fourth wall and everyone attacking the studio exec finance bros who keep ruining all these beloved franchises

Keep funding, assholes!

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 22
    If you want any indication of how bad something recent with Mel Brooks' name on it is, look no further than the god awful History of the World Part II.

The best bet would be for a new creative team to do something brand new who understand the spirit of a Brooksfilm, a la Black Dynamite.

cj iwakura on
    z48g7weaopj2.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I dunno, Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money is already the joke. That anything gets made fulfills the punchline in a way I can appreciate.

I won't pay to see it, but I will appreciate it exists

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I don’t think I could get excited for Josh Gad if he was standing outside the theater handing out money

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

https://youtu.be/UQ7TnQBSV00?si=wfKceBtwXpXMGABR

He's always found it funny that he's more known for 4 words in Spaceballs than his entire run on Star Trek.

That's funny, most people would rather everyone forget they were on Voyager.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    I just thought to myself..."Spaceballs without John Candy?" followed by, "Oh, Josh Gad is gonna play his son, isn't he."

And then the character's name happened all over my keyboard.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    His name will be like Shart or something.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    You know what I don't want to see? A hyper realistic cgi Mog.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I hate every ape I see

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 24
    Inside Out 2 was excellent DLC for Inside Out.

Added some new maps, updated the hub, and introduced a few new characters with upgraded graphics overall.

Contradicted a couple of things from the original, but overall just expanded the story with a new touching campaign.

Edit:
    The final arena battle was a litte obvious, but did tie nicely into the the self-contained story.

MichaelLC on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Blankman (Netflix), I have memories of watching it as a kid on a weekend at my grandparents, having just bought a bunch of comics off the Walgreens spinner rack and reading them while watching it, but on its own this movie sucks fam. That Damon Wayans went from In Living Color, The Last Boyscout, and Mo' Money to this (and he wrote it) shows he was on some good booger sugar. A nerd inventor living with his brother and grandma turning into a crime fighter and neighborhood hero with his stupid inventions could have been a good kids movie, but trying to run as a low budget PG-13 movie is a bad move. Wayans doesn't know how to play the lead nerd role despite Steve Urkel being right there as the template. Even Urkel Bot! The editing is bad, the humor is nonexistant, the pacing is horrible, the forced love triangle between the Vicki Vale of Robyn Givens and David Alan Grier and Wayans is slow and horrible, the guy playing the mayor of the city looks like he's going to break character everytime he's on screen, he can't hold in his smirk going "this is shit." You're so bored you start looking at the background actors who can't even mumble the right words and can see their eyes following the director's assistants telling them where to go or how to chant or rabble rabble.

The only redeeming thing in the movie is George Costanza playing a sleazy wheelchair bound paparazzi editor of a Hard Copy knockoff. He's having fun knowing the movie is shit but if he just plays George meets Born on the Fourth of July he'll be the highlight and it's true. The only fault is despite McDonald's product placement here, Jason Alexander doesn't sing the iconic McD-L-T jingle.

It's a bad movie that wants to mimic the old Adam West Batman but isn't campy enough, clever enough, or committing to the bit enough. Meteor Man is so, so, so much better.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tex I got a degree in Criminology because of Blankman and to quote David Arquette in Ready to Rumble

I WILL BUST YOU!

(I haven't seen that move in 20 years but it did have an impact on me as an HBO having yout, I can fully believe it doesn't hold up, and fuck Meteor Man was the better kinda tone deaf superhero movie)

are YOU on the beer list?
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Buckaroo Banzai but I guess this is what I'm watching next

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh you are in for a treat

I have many, many questions and I think the answer to all of them is cocaine.

Buckaroo Bonzai is definitely one of my favorite films, for those keeping score

All the names of the irregulars

- Reno Nevada
    - Pinky Carruthers
    - Perfect Tommy
    - Penny Priddy
    - New Jersey
    - Rawhide

What a ridiculously stacked cast for such a throughly silly movie

This is the first thing I'm watching when I get high

Quid wrote: »
    This is the first thing I'm watching when I get high

Oh yeah. Get blazed. That film’s weirdness level starts at about an 8 and goes to 11 real quick

I don't know why, but it's that he had a parachute in the alien ship that broke me.

• RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Bonkers film, incredible cast. John Lithgow's off the wall performance is perfect.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 25
    I was driving nowhere in particular not too long ago when I passed a broken down big rig in the middle of the street. Its flip over cab was open, exposing the engine, and there were a cluster of guys all around it scratching their heads.

As I passed, I noticed that oddly there was a large, intact watermelon lying on the ground at their feet.

Almost without thinking, I immediately asked myself "Why is there a watermelon there"

Spent the rest of the day laughing

madparrot on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Buckaroo Bonzai is definitely one of my favorite films, for those keeping score

All the names of the irregulars

- Reno Nevada
    - Pinky Carruthers
    - Perfect Tommy
    - Penny Priddy
    - New Jersey
    - Rawhide

What a ridiculously stacked cast for such a throughly silly movie

Don't forget Christopher Lloyd as Lithgow's aide-de-camp John Bigbooté

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai